General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2013-05-27 6:45 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Veteran
Henderson,NV
Subject: RE: Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread
Hey Blastman

Welcome to the thread !

2013-05-27 3:07 PM
in reply to: paradigm777

User image

Originally posted by paradigm777

Is running 15-16 miles run suffice for a 140.6 event like vineman? I am planning on push my bike mileage to 70 / 80 / 90 in the next 6 weeks. I need to know if running 15-16 miles are suffice to get a sub-13 or sub-12:30 at Vineman.

My training plan has me doing things via time+HR and not distance. My hell week (6 more weeks) is a 6 hour ride (~100-110 miles for me) + hour run and the next day is a 3 hour run (~20-23 miles for me depending on day) +1.5hr high rpm/low resistance ride (I do this after my run since it helps loosen up my legs and makes my knees feel better). Are you training by distance or time? For marathon training, I always have a few 19-21 miles long days just because that's when things start to get hard and I'm working on mental "you can do this!" training at that point.

I can't comment on times yet since this will be my first. I would suggest running something close to a 20 miler though so you can experience that wall and push through it, at least for a little bit.
2013-05-28 10:37 AM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Did my longest bike on Friday...74 hilly miles. Although I was a slow as molasses, I am super happy! Thanks to the advice on here I tried Perpetum to "drink" my calories. That seemed to work great! I made a three hour bottle and then brought along a Lara bar and 4 snack size snicker bars. My legs didn't cramp and my stomach felt great. Yay!

9 weeks to go!
2013-05-28 11:49 AM
in reply to: akrenik

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

9 weeks?!?  Aw crud!

Looks like my training schedule is really going to ramp up, now that I've had a week to recover from the HIM.  Looks like I'll be spending 9-10 hours in the saddle this week (in addition to the running and swimming).  Here comes the pile on!

For the longest run, my coach usually has us do 1 or 2 20-mile runs in lead up to an ironman.

2013-05-28 1:29 PM
in reply to: swgtri

User image

Veteran
Henderson,NV
It can't be 9 weeks already, I would swear the official thread started just last week ! Here come the 100 mile bike rides , training is going to be so much fun !
2013-05-28 3:23 PM
in reply to: kenb

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well, I can tell we are in peak ironman training now. I am ALWAYS hungry!!

2013-05-28 3:28 PM
in reply to: amymengel

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

Originally posted by amymengel Well, I can tell we are in peak ironman training now. I am ALWAYS hungry!!

Oh yeah!  I think I'm on my 4th meal/snack of the day, and I know I'm looking at at least 2 more.

2013-05-28 9:20 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Got 6.25 miles in this evening...NO NOT ON MY BIKE, but my run. Trying to beat my run mileage from April. If I can get 6.25 in before June 1st I got it. 2.85 mile opportunity tomorrow evening and 6 plus Friday evening. Already ahead on the bike and swim. Heading to pool this evening for a later swim workout.

2013-05-28 10:33 PM
in reply to: TriGuyBri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by TriGuyBri

Got 6.25 miles in this evening...NO NOT ON MY BIKE, but my run. Trying to beat my run mileage from April. If I can get 6.25 in before June 1st I got it. 2.85 mile opportunity tomorrow evening and 6 plus Friday evening. Already ahead on the bike and swim. Heading to pool this evening for a later swim workout.

Great job!!!
2013-05-29 12:29 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
I hear ya! I am starving all the time! Having two dinners is just normal for me these days. I eat with the family at 6pm and then again at 9pm. Looking at my training plan, I don't think I will get a 20 mile run in during training. The plan is by time and the pace I am running will make my longest run a 3 hour run. That will probably be only about 16-18 miles depending on my knee/hip. It's okay though. I am using the free beginner plan from this website and I know it will get me there. It is a lot more hours and training than the plan I started with which was Fink's Just to Finish plan.

Happy Wednesday everyone!
2013-05-29 7:28 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Originally posted by akrenik

I hear ya! I am starving all the time! Having two dinners is just normal for me these days. I eat with the family at 6pm and then again at 9pm. Looking at my training plan, I don't think I will get a 20 mile run in during training. The plan is by time and the pace I am running will make my longest run a 3 hour run. That will probably be only about 16-18 miles depending on my knee/hip. It's okay though. I am using the free beginner plan from this website and I know it will get me there. It is a lot more hours and training than the plan I started with which was Fink's Just to Finish plan.

Happy Wednesday everyone!

I am in the same boat on the 3 hrs. And 16-18 miles. When I was in South Dakota last summer I had a 16 miles run to do and it ended up being 3 hrs. Of course it was humid as all get out. I just did a 5.3 mile loop and carried enough fluid and gels to get me through those miles and would stop and restock. I think my late June weeks put me into that range. I don't think I will get to 20 due to length of time it would take me and risk of injury.

5 hr ride this weekend. Hope to be out on the road not on The trainer. 1:45 min. Run for my long run this week. Last week on my long run I purposefully ran up and down a pretty long steep hill 3 times as part of my run to make sure I am getting my hills in.

2013-06-01 4:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Salem
5 hr. bike ride done. Felt good enough that I could have went around again. I did two loops of approx. 37 miles each. Now the 45 min. run after was quite hard. I walked the first 6 min. interval and started running after that. Kind of got my legs back at 13 min. Felt like I was barely moving, but my watch said different.

I tried something different this morning by drinking a chocolate Ensure for extra calories. Ate my Trad. B-Fast of Cereal.

OH, and forgot to share.... I usually see some Nutrea (Pond Rodents), snakes or Geese when I run, but last evening I thought I saw a deer cross the road ahead of me. When I got up there I looked up on the hill and a Coyote was staring at me. Made some noise and it went into the woods. I have thought about carrying Pepper spray and now I might have to.

Long run tomorrow.

Edited by TriGuyBri 2013-06-01 4:06 PM
2013-06-01 11:20 PM

User image

New user

San Diego, CA
Tour de San Diego today!! Ended up with 106 miles and over 6000' of climbing. Fairly hot out here (84) so that should help for the race. Only 30 mins of t-run but out for 15 miles in the morning.

Into June so we are getting close. Hope everyone has a good weekend of training. Stay healthy, that is the key, IMO.
2013-06-02 12:33 AM
in reply to: mikebeck

User image

Expert
Salem
Originally posted by mikebeck

Tour de San Diego today!! Ended up with 106 miles and over 6000' of climbing. Fairly hot out here (84) so that should help for the race. Only 30 mins of t-run but out for 15 miles in the morning.

Into June so we are getting close. Hope everyone has a good weekend of training. Stay healthy, that is the key, IMO.

106...Strong Miles mikebeck. Nice work. Hilly as well. I can't say my ride was particularly hilly.
2013-06-02 5:57 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by TriGuyBri
Originally posted by akrenik I hear ya! I am starving all the time! Having two dinners is just normal for me these days. I eat with the family at 6pm and then again at 9pm. Looking at my training plan, I don't think I will get a 20 mile run in during training. The plan is by time and the pace I am running will make my longest run a 3 hour run. That will probably be only about 16-18 miles depending on my knee/hip. It's okay though. I am using the free beginner plan from this website and I know it will get me there. It is a lot more hours and training than the plan I started with which was Fink's Just to Finish plan. Happy Wednesday everyone!
I am in the same boat on the 3 hrs. And 16-18 miles. When I was in South Dakota last summer I had a 16 miles run to do and it ended up being 3 hrs. Of course it was humid as all get out. I just did a 5.3 mile loop and carried enough fluid and gels to get me through those miles and would stop and restock. I think my late June weeks put me into that range. I don't think I will get to 20 due to length of time it would take me and risk of injury. 5 hr ride this weekend. Hope to be out on the road not on The trainer. 1:45 min. Run for my long run this week. Last week on my long run I purposefully ran up and down a pretty long steep hill 3 times as part of my run to make sure I am getting my hills in.

I do what both of you do - will cap my long run at 3 hrs (and also get in two 2.5hr runs) - I think last time it was ~17 miles. 

I kind of took this last week off due to vacation and recovering from vacation Cool - READY to ramp it up for these next 6 weeks and then taper! What!

2013-06-02 11:38 PM

User image

New user

San Diego, CA
Nothing but hills around here, unless we stay on the coast. Sure made the long run tough today.

In terms of the longest distance, we will get one 20 miler in and a couple of 17's. All of that assumes injury free which is never a given!!

2013-06-03 11:20 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
I took the recovery week last week too far. I skipped a few workouts because I just wanted to choose to be...lazy. No time for that anymore. Starting today there will be no more lazy days!

Have a great day of training everyone!
2013-06-03 12:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Henderson,NV
The plan called for an easy weekend for me, Sat was a 3000 yd swim 20 mile bike and a 5 mile run, and nothing on Sunday. Did I feel guilty? Not one bit
2013-06-03 4:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by akrenik

I took the recovery week last week too far. I skipped a few workouts because I just wanted to choose to be...lazy. No time for that anymore. Starting today there will be no more lazy days!

Have a great day of training everyone!

I also had a recovery week last week. Hoping to be back at it in full this week. :-)
2013-06-04 9:04 PM

User image

I feel super guilty this week. Cut my 5 hr bike + 45 min run into a 2 hour bike ride due to the cold (60) + rain on Saturday (was an hour away when it started to rain and I couldn't even bend my fingers to open a Gu, so I decided to head back). Sunday I had a family emergency, but I managed to get a 15.5m run in evening but didn't have time for my planed 1 hr spin. I just cut my swim and run short tonight. Arg... I do have a HIM this weekend so I think that's what causing me to fall off the wagon because normally I'm pretty good at staying dedicated.

Just 4 more weeks until my hell week (~22 hours) though. I'm excited to make it to that since at that point I know I'll finally be ready!
2013-06-05 12:15 AM

User image

Expert
Salem
Originally posted by Blastman

I feel super guilty this week. Cut my 5 hr bike + 45 min run into a 2 hour bike ride due to the cold (60) + rain on Saturday (was an hour away when it started to rain and I couldn't even bend my fingers to open a Gu, so I decided to head back). Sunday I had a family emergency, but I managed to get a 15.5m run in evening but didn't have time for my planed 1 hr spin. I just cut my swim and run short tonight. Arg... I do have a HIM this weekend so I think that's what causing me to fall off the wagon because normally I'm pretty good at staying dedicated.

Just 4 more weeks until my hell week (~22 hours) though. I'm excited to make it to that since at that point I know I'll finally be ready!

After reading your post I ended up running a few miles. I also had those guilty feelings, but my Periformis muscle was bothering me from Physical Therapy yesterday.
I am planning a long day; kind of a race prep. Not sure how far out to do it. Looking at a full 2.4 swim; 5-6 hr bike; plus a 12-13 mile run. I will rest a couple hrs between each discipline. Any thoughts?

2013-06-05 11:02 AM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Originally posted by Blastman

Good luck in your race this weekend! At least you have a long race as an excuse. I have been doing some juggling of workouts this weekend because I have a race on Saturday, but my race is a sprint. haha!

I am proud of myself for working, going to budget meeting after work, and then heading out for a 12.5 mile run when I got home. I usually hate working out at night. Feels so good to get it done! I didn't eat dinner until 9:30, but whatever.
2013-06-06 11:15 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

What's on tap for everyone this weekend? 

I'm gearing up for a 5-hour ride Saturday and a 2-hour run + 3300yd swim Sunday. Feel like they are a little on the short side for this phase of training but I'm following the same plan I did for my last IM... 

Saturday there is a potential for severe weather, AND a forcast of south winds sustained at 20mph. Hoping the weather guys are wrong on both. 

2013-06-06 12:55 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

Saturday I have a 2 hr run and 1 hr team OWS (followed by a birthday party for my son's friends, involving tons of 3-6 year old children, which may be more exhausting than the workouts), and Sunday will be my first century of the season.  Okay, first century since Sept 11, 2011.  And it is supposed to be in the 90s both days. 

I'm hoping Monday is a rest day.  I will sooo need some recovery...and possibly ice cream.

It almost feels a little early for a century ride, but I suspect coach is planning to have me ride more than one this time around, which should provide for a better condition going into the run. 

2013-06-06 2:17 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Saturday I have a 5 hr ride to do. I may go do a supported Century Ride with a 45 min brick after; first Century. Looks hilly but need to get to it. I have a 2 hr. run scheduled for Sunday. I will swim Friday and swim after my run on Sunday. Always feels good to swim after a run. Nice recovery for me. I have a massage this evening which I am looking forward to.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 29