BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-07-20 7:20 AM
in reply to: #2295084

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
fattyfatfat - 2009-07-19 11:06 PM Alright!!! SWBKRUN rolled on Katy Flatland Century today.  Andy came in last night and crashed at the house.  We drank a few beers and knocked out a stellar pre-race meal.  Then we hit it today.

What a blast!  This was my first big ride (2500+ people) and man was it fun.  We started right up front.  Somewhere around 15 miles we were in a single file train of about 20 riders.  I was up front pulling for a few miles!! wtf!  OH MAN IT WAS SO COOL!!! 

Met a bunch of other BTer's out there.  Just a GREAT DAY!!!

Did you do what I suggested?

Drop Andy in the last 100M before the finish, cross the finish with hands raised, maybe kiss your necklace, or ala Contador making shooting motions with your fingers would also be acceptable.Laughing

2009-07-20 7:20 AM
in reply to: #2295359

User image

Champion
Great job Kim, sounds like it was rough out there.
2009-07-20 8:20 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Way to go KIM!! How was the wine? Looking forward to your report.
2009-07-20 8:34 AM
in reply to: #2295359

User image

Champion
marietta
dalessit - 2009-07-20 7:20 AM
fattyfatfat - 2009-07-19 11:06 PM Alright!!! SWBKRUN rolled on Katy Flatland Century today.  Andy came in last night and crashed at the house.  We drank a few beers and knocked out a stellar pre-race meal.  Then we hit it today.

What a blast!  This was my first big ride (2500+ people) and man was it fun.  We started right up front.  Somewhere around 15 miles we were in a single file train of about 20 riders.  I was up front pulling for a few miles!! wtf!  OH MAN IT WAS SO COOL!!! 

Drop Andy in the last 100M before the finish, cross the finish with hands raised, maybe kiss your necklace, or ala Contador making shooting motions with your fingers would also be acceptable.Laughing

I did both!  Ya like my shirt in the top pic.  Shout out to you and Sam.
2009-07-20 8:38 AM
in reply to: #2295485

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2009-07-20 9:34 AM

hehe yeah saw that, that's where I buy my shoes.
2009-07-20 10:17 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Happy Monday everyone!  Hope everyone had an enjoyable weekend.  For me I ran a total of 14 miles and saw the new Harry Potter movie. That is a pretty good weekend in my book.

Linda - that toilet seat story made my day!  I can totally see myself doing that!

Barry-  great job on that run. I discoved how much help a pace group is this weekend too (or rather how hard it is without one )

Doug - I strength train once a week and would love to make it 3x if my schedule would allow it.  I find it helps with my flexibility and working out the knots. 

Rob - way to go on that sprint. That was the longest swim and run I have ever seen on a sprint! 

Kim - I can't see your swim time but 6:13 is fantastically impressive!  I can't believe you had a 51 second T1 time!  Major Congratulations!!

Andy and John good job on that ride!   I love the second picture!

Steve - I hope you are feeling better and had a successful race!

Edited by tahrens 2009-07-20 11:35 AM

2009-07-20 10:37 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Kim way to stick it out through that race.  I heard conditions were BRUTAL!!!  Chalk one up for a victory.  Just think- any race you do now is going to be a cake walk!

John/Andy- I can only imagine you 2 out there.  Did you have beer in your water bottles?  We heard about cocktails Friday night, but what about after the race?  Who won the beer drinking contest?

My race- Was a huge success!  Mainly for the fact that I decided not to do it.  I was starting to feel a little better, but we are going to see our closest family friends this Thursday, and the mother just had a stem cell transplant (5 weeks ago) and so her immune system almost doesn't exsist.  If I wanted to see her I couldn't be sick.  My race would have only set back my recovery and may have hinder my chances at hanging out with our second family.  Now that Kim has gotten the cold we are trying to get her better in the next 3 days.  It was so hard to watch this race in my favorite place.  I was actually a little depressed cheering people on, but I knew it was the RIGHT THING TO DO, so I excepted it.  Plenty of opportunity to race in the future... Never know about people with cancer.  It was a no brainer.

Stayed tuned I may have new INSPIRING group member.  Her story is UNREAL!
2009-07-20 10:48 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
My weekend was good and bad.

First the good: I started my 12 week olympic plan and except for being sore, most butt and neck, things are going well.

Second the bad: I learned Friday PM that a fratermity brother of mine, 2 years younger than me, was terminally ill with spinal cancer. His sister set up a terrific blog, and friends were posting comments that she and family were reading to him. If you noticed the past tense of the foregoing paragraphs you can guess the rest. Mike died Sunday at 1:15. He was battling this for a long time. (I had no idea). He had remained involved in our fraternity throughout the years. I graduated college 26 years ago. To the end he was a great brother. Through his passing I have made contact with some other brothers that I had lost contact with. I am saddened by his passing but as his family told us, he is out of pain now and at peace. It is very odd losing someone younger than you.

Moral of the story: Live the life you've got, cause its the only one you have!

Steve: you made the right choice not to race.
2009-07-20 11:02 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
UGH!! Doug so sorry to hear about that!  Absolutely SUCKS!!! My thoughts out to you and his family!!
2009-07-20 11:05 AM
in reply to: #2295485

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
fattyfatfat - 2009-07-20 8:34 AM

I saw that pic and was wondering where you got the shirt.  Sounds like you both had a great time!

2009-07-20 11:08 AM

User image

Rob - great race.  Sounds like it went very well!  I love it when training pays off

Andy & John -  didn't see you on the evening news, so I am thinking lots of fun with no "John biking issues" 

Kim- Wow, you are amazing.  Great job out there!!

Steve - sorry you didn't get to race, but sounds like a good decision.  You're right, there will be many more races.  Hope you and Kim get to feeling better and can spend some good time with your friend.

Doug - I am sorry for your loss  

2009-07-20 1:03 PM
in reply to: #2294213

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

brownnugen - 2009-07-19 10:45 AM I went out for an OWS this morning, wearing a Xterra Vortex sleeveless wetsuit that a co-worker won but  gave me because it was too small for him.  It is a medium large (MLA) and I am only 5' 10, 165 lbs.  Well, when I got back from the approximately 1 mile swim, I took off the wet suit and noticed little abrasions where my shoulders and lats contact the wetsuit (like a big circle).  I was only wearing jammers under the wetsuit (no top).  Is that something normal that I should just put some runner's lube or bodyglide around those areas to try to prevent the friction? 

I think you should get a different wet suit and send that one to me. I am only 5'7" and it would fit perfect

Defiinitely go with the Bodyglide or similar type stuff. Should alleviate the discomfort. I have a similar problenm but get the abrasions on the back of my neck. Applied Bodyglide before yesterdays race and almost no abrasion

2009-07-20 1:56 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Thanks for the comments and inspires everyone. I don't know what everyone think of fraternities, but my school, RPI, is located in Troy, NY. One of the ugliest place in the US. If it wasn't for the fraternity system I doubt I would have graduated. RPI is an engineering school and we were all nerds before that word existed.

Anyway, I can't help thinking about my friend's passing, but interestingly I find the situation motivating. Since starting triathlon this year, I previously have been sorry I waited so long. Since Mike's death I look at it, and my training, as: I am so glad I didn't wait longer! This sport is a heck of a lot of fun and I would be less of a person if I had never tried it. I am sure there are a lot of things Mike would ahve done with his life if he'd have lived. In that light, it helps motivate me to do the things I love NOW! Leave with no regrets.

Doug

P.S. Kim must have a hangover from all that wine, as I haven't seen a RR!
2009-07-20 2:15 PM
in reply to: #2296557

User image

Extreme Veteran
DougRob - 2009-07-20 2:56 PM Thanks for the comments and inspires everyone. I don't know what everyone think of fraternities, but my school, RPI, is located in Troy, NY. One of the ugliest place in the US. If it wasn't for the fraternity system I doubt I would have graduated. RPI is an engineering school and we were all nerds before that word existed.

Anyway, I can't help thinking about my friend's passing, but interestingly I find the situation motivating. Since starting triathlon this year, I previously have been sorry I waited so long. Since Mike's death I look at it, and my training, as: I am so glad I didn't wait longer! This sport is a heck of a lot of fun and I would be less of a person if I had never tried it. I am sure there are a lot of things Mike would ahve done with his life if he'd have lived. In that light, it helps motivate me to do the things I love NOW! Leave with no regrets.

Doug

P.S. Kim must have a hangover from all that wine, as I haven't seen a RR!

Doug I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.  It's devastating to hear anyone go through such a horrible disease.  It's great to see you have such a great attitude towards life and now you're living a lifestyle that helps prevent this disease..
2009-07-20 2:16 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Doug--you're so right, we need to be happy with the life we have.  I had a friend who died from cervical cancer at 34 years of age and left behind her four year old daughter and husband.  Heartbreaking.

Steve- (aka Jerk  and little brother). Very selfless act and very classy.  There are plenty of opportunities to race, but so few to interact with family and friends.

Knowing Kim, she is out training for her Fall Marathon!

Had a really great swim.  I was semi dreading going to the pool since I am stuck at a different gym until my new one opens up.  Got in, things felt pretty decent and 45 minutes later I had clipped off 1,800 yards.  It was one of those pinch yourself days.  I kept thinking about how fortunate I was to find my new coach and to have the time to practice the sports I love.
2009-07-20 2:23 PM

User image

Champion
So how is everyone feeling about the Tour? While I think Contador is beyond amazing, I'm bummed over Lance.  I I wanted to see him win again.  Can't help it, I think he is a star and a stud.

2009-07-20 2:30 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
I think Contador is self centered.  Rather than ride with the team and be a team player, he's dogged the rest of the team to better his position.  Lance could still take 2nd... and you never know what could happen in the next TT.
2009-07-20 2:30 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Sorry, but 37 year old legs in the mountains against 26 year old ones wont do it. Never say never, but LA's chances are like 1/100. Wiggins and Schleck need to be watched. There are still three days of climbs and a TT to go before Paris so a lot can happen. I was sorry to see Levi have to drop out with a broken wrist.
2009-07-20 2:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Kim - Great job on the race!  Congrats!!

Barry - AWESOME run!

Rob - Way to put up a solid race!  Good job!!

Andy and John - It looks like you had a blast!  Love the picture.

Suzy - What core exercises do you do?  I would like to add some, but was unsure what to do.  Do you use the ones here?

Have a great week everyone!  Oh, I went for another OWS this weekend.  It only took me 10 mins to get the wetsuit on this time!!  That is a big improvement over the 20 mins the first two times!!

Karen
2009-07-20 2:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Not sure if anyone noticed but sorry i haven't really participated over the last few weeks.  I've been consulting on this international banking deal and it has been a pain in the butt and the bad thing is it looks like it may not go through.  So I won't get paid..  These consulting jobs suck..  If they don't workout no money if they do, you get paid very well.

So I did something not too bright over the last 3 weeks and now it may potentially bite me in the a$$.  So I just learned from the doc that i have a strained ligament and now a strained muscle bellow my right calf.  They told me that 3 wks ago when it started to hurt, if had just stayed off it for a few days I would have been ok.  So now he strongly advised me that I stay off the leg as much as possible for the next few wks (i was sort of fearing the news so i went for a good bike and swim this morning before the appt).  He believes biking should be ok but doesn't really recommend it and swimming is fine as long as i don't push off the wall.  So now that brings me to my first Olympic race this weekend.  I'm thinking that I would not run at all this week and only do short bikes and swims over the next few days and on race day go full out on the swim and bike and walk/run the run.  I'm pretty bummed about this as I had a goal of under 3hrs for the race... Unless I do amazingly well on the swim and bike i don't think that time will be in the cards..  I always thought if the pain went away during the run it should be ok and that it was more a mental thing.  NOW I know that's obviously not the case.

2009-07-20 3:06 PM
in reply to: #2296764

User image

Champion
trying1 - 2009-07-20 2:53 PM

Not sure if anyone noticed but sorry i haven't really participated over the last few weeks.  I've been consulting on this international banking deal and it has been a pain in the butt and the bad thing is it looks like it may not go through.  So I won't get paid..  These consulting jobs suck..  If they don't workout no money if they do, you get paid very well.

So I did something not too bright over the last 3 weeks and now it may potentially bite me in the a$$.  So I just learned from the doc that i have a strained ligament and now a strained muscle bellow my right calf.  They told me that 3 wks ago when it started to hurt, if had just stayed off it for a few days I would have been ok.  So now he strongly advised me that I stay off the leg as much as possible for the next few wks (i was sort of fearing the news so i went for a good bike and swim this morning before the appt).  He believes biking should be ok but doesn't really recommend it and swimming is fine as long as i don't push off the wall.  So now that brings me to my first Olympic race this weekend.  I'm thinking that I would not run at all this week and only do short bikes and swims over the next few days and on race day go full out on the swim and bike and walk/run the run.  I'm pretty bummed about this as I had a goal of under 3hrs for the race... Unless I do amazingly well on the swim and bike i don't think that time will be in the cards..  I always thought if the pain went away during the run it should be ok and that it was more a mental thing.  NOW I know that's obviously not the case.

Ugh, I am really sorry to hear about the situation.   As someone who spent 8 months rehabbing after running on a leg injury for too long, I recommend bagging the race.  You already stated you aren't going to make the goal you wanted so ask yourself "is it worth it?".  Heal and pick another race to shoot for.  In the long run, you will be so much better off.

Please don't take this as being harsh, but really honest feedback from my own personal experience.

Suzy

2009-07-20 3:11 PM
in reply to: #2296718

User image

Champion
gadgetlaw - 2009-07-20 2:41 PM Kim - Great job on the race!  Congrats!!

Barry - AWESOME run!

Rob - Way to put up a solid race!  Good job!!

Andy and John - It looks like you had a blast!  Love the picture.

Suzy - What core exercises do you do?  I would like to add some, but was unsure what to do.  Do you use the ones here?

Have a great week everyone!  Oh, I went for another OWS this weekend.  It only took me 10 mins to get the wetsuit on this time!!  That is a big improvement over the 20 mins the first two times!!

Karen

I posted this link several pages back:  www.riversideholding.com/abs  I do this a couple times a week and then use the swiss ball and med ball a couple times a week for abs/glutes and hams.
2009-07-20 3:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Thanks Suzy!  Sorry I missed the link the first time.  It's so hard to keep up sometimes!!  Thanks again!
2009-07-20 3:46 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Hey Kim:

Did you see the tree that fell at Vineman? It sent two riders to the hospital, one with a severely injured back, and broke another's collar bone. Apparently all biking was stopped while crews cut the tree up.
2009-07-20 5:22 PM
in reply to: #2296764

User image

trying1 - 2009-07-20 3:53 PM

Sorry about the deal...also the injury.
I have to agree with Suzy.  I had an injury three days before my first HIM.  I had trained for it, so I decided to go ahead and do it.  Big Mistake!  Heal well, then look for another race.  I know, easier said than done...... 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383