BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-08-11 7:19 AM
in reply to: #3638552

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed
kt65 - 2011-08-10 10:00 PM
DougRob - 2011-08-10 5:40 PM

Hey folks. I m up at Lake Gaston on the VA border. We are at a lake house. My coach has me doing the most intense week of training I have ever done. So far i have 2 three hour bike rides done, and 1 one hour ride too. Friday is another three hour ride. Swimming and runng too.

I have got to figure out my electrolytes/nutrition better. I am sore, which is to be expected, but the cramping is brutal. Hammys, feet, calves, even my back.

This is probably yet another reason I will never do a full IM.

Doug, it sounds like a very intense week!  But in a fun, brutal sort of way.  Curious about your cramps...do you get them while biking/swimming/running?  If so, at the beginning, middle, end of your workout?  Are the muscle cramps so bad that you have to stop?  Does it happen when you are doing easy stuff?

Tell us more, maybe we can help. 

Kim I do not get them while running. I have gotten foot cramps before while swimming but have found that was more of a fittness level issue. As I got fitter the cramps in my feet stopped occuring.

I occassionally got cramps in my quads/ innerr thigh when getting out of the pool.

I do not get the cramps in the beginning. It is the middle/end that is the problem. This week I had run, bike and then swim workouts in that order. I took a break between the run and the bike, but did the bike swim back-to-back. The swim was very difficult and I cramped from the beginning.

From the timing of the cramping I am virtually certain they are related to nutrition. I am a HEAVY sweater. I lose a lot of electrolytes and am working on adjusting things. I think it is worse this week due to the heavy load my coach has given. I have a longer and frequent workouts and I have yet to figure out the right balance.

2011-08-11 7:26 AM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

One Month from today ........  Laughing

2011-08-11 7:45 AM
in reply to: #3638817

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
badgerintx - 2011-08-11 7:26 AM

One Month from today ........  Laughing

Awesome!  And let's hope the weather is exactly the way it is today!

2011-08-11 7:49 AM
in reply to: #3638807

User image

Champion
DougRob - 2011-08-11 7:19 AM

Hey folks. I m up at Lake Gaston on the VA border. We are at a lake house. My coach has me doing the most intense week of training I have ever done. So far i have 2 three hour bike rides done, and 1 one hour ride too. Friday is another three hour ride. Swimming and runng too.

I have got to figure out my electrolytes/nutrition better. I am sore, which is to be expected, but the cramping is brutal. Hammys, feet, calves, even my back.

Doug, it sounds like a very intense week!  But in a fun, brutal sort of way.  Curious about your cramps...do you get them while biking/swimming/running?  If so, at the beginning, middle, end of your workout?  Are the muscle cramps so bad that you have to stop?  Does it happen when you are doing easy stuff?

Kim I do not get them while running. I have gotten foot cramps before while swimming but have found that was more of a fittness level issue. As I got fitter the cramps in my feet stopped occuring.

I occassionally got cramps in my quads/ innerr thigh when getting out of the pool.

I do not get the cramps in the beginning. It is the middle/end that is the problem. This week I had run, bike and then swim workouts in that order. I took a break between the run and the bike, but did the bike swim back-to-back. The swim was very difficult and I cramped from the beginning.

From the timing of the cramping I am virtually certain they are related to nutrition. I am a HEAVY sweater. I lose a lot of electrolytes and am working on adjusting things. I think it is worse this week due to the heavy load my coach has given. I have a longer and frequent workouts and I have yet to figure out the right balance.

Doug

How many grams of sodium are you taking in per liter of fluid that you drink during activity? do you salt preload?  I've recently increased my sodium level significantly based on some field testing.  While I have never had cramps, I did have other issues related to low sodium.  You can also get your sodium level tested to see if it falls within the normal range.  The other typical reason for cramping is muscle fatigue.  Running is something you are becoming more proficient at so perhaps your body needs some catch up time?  You're a bigger guy so you're working those muscles pretty darn hard, especially after a heavy bike session.

One final thought, you could check with a good sports nurtrionist to see what advice they may have.

2011-08-11 7:53 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

Good Luck this weekend to all of the racers!  Looks like everyone is humming along with training.  I am living vicariously through you all this year.

My big training moment was to swim 800m straight last night to make sure I still could so I can make it around my sprint course this weekend.  UGH!!!!

Sadly I'm anxiously waiting for my last 2 tris to be over so I can focusly solely on my running.  Last weekends mt. run which is still kicking my butt tells me I need to hit the hills again!  Only 14 weeks to the biggest physical challenge of my life.

2011-08-11 9:32 AM
in reply to: #3638843

User image

Elite
Raleigh
SSMinnow - 2011-08-11 8:49 AM
DougRob - 2011-08-11 7:19 AM

Doug

How many grams of sodium are you taking in per liter of fluid that you drink during activity? do you salt preload?  I've recently increased my sodium level significantly based on some field testing.  While I have never had cramps, I did have other issues related to low sodium.  You can also get your sodium level tested to see if it falls within the normal range.  The other typical reason for cramping is muscle fatigue.  Running is something you are becoming more proficient at so perhaps your body needs some catch up time?  You're a bigger guy so you're working those muscles pretty darn hard, especially after a heavy bike session.

One final thought, you could check with a good sports nurtrionist to see what advice they may have.

All good suggestions Suzy. I may start with the last one.

2011-08-11 12:52 PM
in reply to: #3639069

User image

Master

Hello!! Back in the world of land-lubbers... Missing the 85-degree ocean and all of the pretty fishies, corals, sponges, etc., but missing my little people more and am counting the hours until 5:50pm when I get to wrap my arms around my kiddo-bo-biddoes.

Tried to catch up on the posts around here. Glad to see everyone is peeing everywhere. I peed in my wetsuit about 2-3x per dive, so it's all good.

Excited for Trevor and Tracy. Super-duper excited!! Home stretch!

Great job to those who raced -- some awesome performances out there!

Happy training to all. I'm just re-assimilating here... It's all good!!!

2011-08-11 1:49 PM
in reply to: #3639573

User image

Champion
kkcbelle - 2011-08-11 12:52 PM

Hello!! Back in the world of land-lubbers... Missing the 85-degree ocean and all of the pretty fishies, corals, sponges, etc., but missing my little people more and am counting the hours until 5:50pm when I get to wrap my arms around my kiddo-bo-biddoes.

Tried to catch up on the posts around here. Glad to see everyone is peeing everywhere. I peed in my wetsuit about 2-3x per dive, so it's all good.

Excited for Trevor and Tracy. Super-duper excited!! Home stretch!

Great job to those who raced -- some awesome performances out there!

Happy training to all. I'm just re-assimilating here... It's all good!!!

WHO ARE YOU?  DO YOU BELONG IN THIS GROUP? Laughing

2011-08-11 2:39 PM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA

As usual lots to catch up on.  I've been kind of out of commision dealing with my son's birthday and taking care of my daughter who has a nasty virus.  Poor thing couldn't eat for three days. 

Anyway, my race report is up...http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=264489&posts=1&start=1

10 days for me.  Sealed

2011-08-11 3:52 PM
in reply to: #3639798

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
mighty mom - 2011-08-11 3:39 PM

As usual lots to catch up on.  I've been kind of out of commision dealing with my son's birthday and taking care of my daughter who has a nasty virus.  Poor thing couldn't eat for three days. 

Anyway, my race report is up...http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=264489&posts=1&start=1

10 days for me.  Sealed

A true professional...I like!

2011-08-11 8:08 PM

User image

Expert
Noosa

I had some great swims this week, beautiful sunny clear mornings and everything just seemed to click.

The other day I shared a lane with a kid with Down's Syndrome who represents Australia at the Special Olympics, his coach used to run my surf club squad.

This morning I shared a lane with an old guy who still swims with the Masters group aged 79!

I just looked at him cruising up and down at a pretty good pace and thought wouldn't it be great to still swimming like that in 40 years time?

Here's some pics of Noosa Aquatic Centre I stole from someone else's blog:

2011-08-11 9:23 PM
in reply to: #3640221

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
copa2251 - 2011-08-11 9:08 PM

I had some great swims this week, beautiful sunny clear mornings and everything just seemed to click.

The other day I shared a lane with a kid with Down's Syndrome who represents Australia at the Special Olympics, his coach used to run my surf club squad.

This morning I shared a lane with an old guy who still swims with the Masters group aged 79!

I just looked at him cruising up and down at a pretty good pace and thought wouldn't it be great to still swimming like that in 40 years time?

David - Every time you post a pic, I want to move!!!

2011-08-11 9:45 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

this is a 'sucked it up post'

Was looking forward to today's run. 2 hr run. last longish run. Mentally, the long runs would be done after today.

I get out there- skies are looking dark, but who knows when. I get about 30 minutes in and it starts to rain. No problem. I'm not made of sugar(Tracy where are you??). And then it starts to pour. Like hard. I got back to the car in 50 minutes, soaked. Pathways were flooding over. Not good. I texted my coach when I got home. Told her the story. Everything was soaked. I was a drowned rat. she said " is it raining now?" "No" I say. "Ok well your orthotics will be dry within an hour go out and run the last 70 minutes." And you know what I did it. Felt good. Glad I did now.

2011-08-12 1:03 AM
in reply to: #3640336

User image

Expert
Noosa
TrevorC - 2011-08-12 12:45 PM

Was looking forward to today's run. 2 hr run. last longish run. Mentally, the long runs would be done after today.

I get out there- skies are looking dark, but who knows when. I get about 30 minutes in and it starts to rain. No problem. I'm not made of sugar(Tracy where are you??). And then it starts to pour. Like hard. I got back to the car in 50 minutes, soaked. Pathways were flooding over. Not good. I texted my coach when I got home. Told her the story. Everything was soaked. I was a drowned rat. she said " is it raining now?" "No" I say. "Ok well your orthotics will be dry within an hour go out and run the last 70 minutes." And you know what I did it. Felt good. Glad I did now.

Good for you!

I quite like running in the rain, got a lot of practice this Summer with the Queensland floods!

It seemed like every time I went for a run I had to get the insoles out of my shoes and stuff them full of newspaper to dry them out.

Winter's very dry here, most days there's no clouds and clear blue sky so I've got soft again...

2011-08-12 6:16 AM

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2011-08-11 9:45 PM

Remember this feeling the last 10k of IM.  Nice job.

2011-08-12 8:43 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
TrevorC - 2011-08-11 10:45 PM

LOL, nice job Trevor.

2011-08-12 8:47 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
TrevorC - 2011-08-11 9:45 PM

^^^^ He stole my post!!! Great job Trevor.

That is a good HTFU moment.  You are ready to rock - can't wait to follow you and Tracy in 2 weeks. 

2011-08-12 9:28 AM
in reply to: #3640304

User image

Champion
gdale - 2011-08-11 10:23 PM
copa2251 - 2011-08-11 9:08 PM

David - Every time you post a pic, I want to move!!!

x2 awesome scenery. 

2011-08-12 10:08 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
TrevorC - 2011-08-11 7:45 PM

Edited by swbkrun 2011-08-12 10:10 AM
2011-08-12 10:37 AM
in reply to: #3640829

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
swbkrun - 2011-08-12 11:08 AM
TrevorC - 2011-08-11 7:45 PM

I totally agree Birdy!!

2011-08-12 12:00 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Way to suck it up Trevor! That will really help come race day.

I was supposed to ride 3 hours today. Started out and was averaging 15 mph for the 1st 3 miles. Then I warmed up and the blood started to flow in my legs. ended up only doing 27 miles in 1:30, but finished feeling good. I will do another 1.5 hrs. tomorrow night to make up for it, but in view of the fact that I have been feeling like I was run over by a truck after most workouts this week, I feel pretty good right now.

Oh yeah, about 9 miles into the ride I got chased by a big brown dog Was planning on doing an out-and-back, but decided to wing it and find a new route home after the dog incident. Looking forward to seeing the data from my Gramin when I get home.

2011-08-12 2:25 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

I like your coach, Trevor. 

Random thought:  I am starving.  Simply ravenous. 

eta: gorgeous pool, David!  I swam at the outdoor pool today and while not as gorgeous, time goes by much quicker breathing fresh air and looking up at clouds behind me when taking those breaths. 

Edited by kt65 2011-08-12 2:27 PM
2011-08-12 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3641253

User image

Master
Maryland
kt65 - 2011-08-12 3:25 PM

eta: gorgeous pool, David!  I swam at the outdoor pool today and while not as gorgeous, time goes by much quicker breathing fresh air and looking up at clouds behind me when taking those breaths. 

Does anyone use a H20 proof MP3 player when swimming long indoors?

2011-08-12 3:48 PM
in reply to: #3641253

User image

Expert
Noosa
kt65 - 2011-08-13 5:25 AM

I haven't swum in an indoor pool for about 2 years, I think it would seem a bit wierd now. The pools I really used to like swimming in when I lived near Sydney were the old "ocean baths", I used to make little trips around the Sydney area just to try out the pool.

This is one of my favourites, Wylies Baths in Coogee:

2011-08-12 4:53 PM
in reply to: #3641271

User image

Champion
Terps421 - 2011-08-12 3:34 PM
kt65 - 2011-08-12 3:25 PM

Does anyone use a H20 proof MP3 player when swimming long indoors?

I have one that suzy sent me, as she didn't like it. It just didn't seem to stay in my ears very well and music would go in and out, so I didn't like it much either.  It's the version you put an ipod shuffle in a waterproof case.  If you have a shuffle that works I can re-re gift it to you if you would like to try it out.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298