BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-07-21 6:13 AM
in reply to: #2297919

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
kt65 - 2009-07-21 4:40 AM Thank you so much for all of your inspires. I'm sorry if I didn't have time to reply but I totally appreciate all of the support! It means so much! Who else really wants to listen to the details of our races!!! Okay guys, here is the RR. Warning, it is long...... http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

Great RR.  Now it is time to change your goals!
Off to do my TT.

2009-07-21 7:08 AM
in reply to: #2297619

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2009-07-20 9:10 PM
I got spanked by my other Steve today regarding rest days.  I have been sticking in an extra swim on those days and that seems like enough rest to me. He doesn't agree.  Do you all take one rest day every week?

I took very few days while getting ready for Mooseman and I think it was a mistake.  I was muscle fatigued all of the time and now I am mentally fried.  Although I have a sprint tri this weekend that meant a lot to me to do well I have not done the training that I wanted for it.

So for my fall plan I built in a day off each week - no excuses.  It can be hard to take time off b/c training becomes addictive.
2009-07-21 7:52 AM
in reply to: #2298034

User image

Elite
Raleigh
sdalessio - 2009-07-21 7:08 AM
I got spanked by my other Steve today regarding rest days.  I have been sticking in an extra swim on those days and that seems like enough rest to me. He doesn't agree.  Do you all take one rest day every week?

I took very few days while getting ready for Mooseman and I think it was a mistake.  I was muscle fatigued all of the time and now I am mentally fried.  Although I have a sprint tri this weekend that meant a lot to me to do well I have not done the training that I wanted for it.

So for my fall plan I built in a day off each week - no excuses.  It can be hard to take time off b/c training becomes addictive.

Funny I was just talking to my wife about this this AM. Today is my rest day. I am still so sore from the core and strength work that I am not even tempted to train today. I finally found something to keep my over-zealous nature in check. What will I do when the weights and core work get easier? Laughing  (please let that happen).

Doug
2009-07-21 8:11 AM
in reply to: #2297619

User image

Champion
marietta

I think its well documented how important rest days are.  But it seems there is a grey area in the term rest itself so I can see where you are coming from.   My rest day is a do nothing day most of the time but some days I'll hit the pool for an easy workout.  Never run or bike but that's due to laziness;-)  btw, if you want some great rest days ideas have a look at the Peach Challenge here on BT.

My .02,  you hired a coach to improve your performance which is awesome.  I'd listen to him or "negotiate" an easy swim in place of the rest day every other week or so. 

2009-07-21 8:49 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Doug, if you are that sore from lifting/core workout than I recommend doing some yoga today.  Or do you have a massage ball or marathon stick?  Sitting on sore muscles for a day only makes the 2nd day after that much worse.  Do a 30 minute stretching routine and since you have a pool in your backyard maybe do 500 yds VERY EASY, just to move the muscles around and help push out the lactic acid. 

2009-07-21 8:51 AM
in reply to: #2292016

User image

Champion
marietta
fattyfatfat - 2009-07-17 12:20 PM Has anyone done the 200 sit up challenge?  Anyone interested in doing it.  I'll bump this Monday for the likes of Trevor and Chet who are already gone for the weekend but thought I'd throw it out now.  I can probably do 30 at most right now...sad

You've probably seen it but in case not here's the link.

I forgot to bump this yesterday, so I might have missed Trevor as he's gone for a few days.  Sam, Kim, and Andy I believe are in.  Anyone else?  We can start next week.

2009-07-21 10:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsford, NY
Hello group.  It has been a LONG time since I have posted.  I've been MIA for quite awhile as my training has been off and on and life has taken over.  It is good to see that the group is still as active as ever.  I just did triathlon #2 on Sat. and I will work on a race report for lunch.  I am determined to put in two good months of training before my race in September, so hopefully you will see me around here a little bit more in the coming weeks.
2009-07-21 10:33 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Hello everyone, back from wine country saying hello.  Half Mary went good, family had fun.  I will finish race report soon.

Kim - Congrats on a great race.  Did you see the tree that fell on the cyclists?  Three injured, all pretty serious.  Broken arms and a couple collar bones. 
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20090719/ARTICLES/907199983/1349?Title=Freak-crash-during-Vineman-as-tree-falls-on-cyclists

Bad luck all around. 

2009-07-21 10:51 AM

User image

Champion
I am happy to report there was no puking during my hour long TT this morning, but boy was it hard. Pumped out the same number of Watts as my 30 minute one a month ago so Steve tells that is good enough to set new thresholds.  I am kind of bummed the watts were so low, but luckily for me I get to do it all over again in a month (she said with heavy sarcasm!).

Congrats to Chet....check out his log.  His half mary time was A+.  Can a BQ be far behind?
2009-07-21 11:16 AM
in reply to: #2298277

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
fattyfatfat - 2009-07-21 6:51 AM
fattyfatfat - 2009-07-17 12:20 PM Has anyone done the 200 sit up challenge?  Anyone interested in doing it.  I'll bump this Monday for the likes of Trevor and Chet who are already gone for the weekend but thought I'd throw it out now.  I can probably do 30 at most right now...sad

You've probably seen it but in case not here's the link.

I forgot to bump this yesterday, so I might have missed Trevor as he's gone for a few days.  Sam, Kim, and Andy I believe are in.  Anyone else?  We can start next week.

I'm in! Thanks for posting it. I did the 100 pushup challenge awhile back and it was great. Of course, after doing the 100 I couldn't seem to find the motivation to keep doing them and probably couldn't do 20 now... need to do that one again too.
2009-07-21 11:21 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
I usually take 1 rest day a week (well, lately more than that) sometimes I do yoga or an easy swim on my rest day, but mentally I just need to do nothing sometimes. I think it does help to ward off burnout. Of course, burnout doesn't really seem to be an issue for you, Suzy. You're like the energizer bunny!

2009-07-21 11:23 AM
in reply to: #2298633

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
ABrunner - 2009-07-21 8:29 AM Hello group.  It has been a LONG time since I have posted.  I've been MIA for quite awhile as my training has been off and on and life has taken over.  It is good to see that the group is still as active as ever.  I just did triathlon #2 on Sat. and I will work on a race report for lunch.  I am determined to put in two good months of training before my race in September, so hopefully you will see me around here a little bit more in the coming weeks.

Good to hear from you! Congrats on your 2nd tri!!!
2009-07-21 11:25 AM
in reply to: #2298651

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
cbarnes1 - 2009-07-21 8:33 AM Hello everyone, back from wine country saying hello.  Half Mary went good, family had fun.  I will finish race report soon.

Kim - Congrats on a great race.  Did you see the tree that fell on the cyclists?  Three injured, all pretty serious.  Broken arms and a couple collar bones. 
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20090719/ARTICLES/907199983/1349?Title=Freak-crash-during-Vineman-as-tree-falls-on-cyclists

Bad luck all around. 

Congrats Chet! Fantastic time!!!
2009-07-21 11:28 AM
in reply to: #2298707

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
SSMinnow - 2009-07-21 8:51 AM I am happy to report there was no puking during my hour long TT this morning, but boy was it hard. Pumped out the same number of Watts as my 30 minute one a month ago so Steve tells that is good enough to set new thresholds.  I am kind of bummed the watts were so low, but luckily for me I get to do it all over again in a month (she said with heavy sarcasm!).

Congrats to Chet....check out his log.  His half mary time was A+.  Can a BQ be far behind?

So Suzy you are telling me that from your 30 min threshold test, and your HOUR LONG TT you cranked out the same wattage?  From what I understand a threshold test is an ALL OUT EFFORT for 30 minutes, and a 1 hour TT is an effort nearly all out (99%).  The way I see that is that you were able to hold the same wattage for an hour that you did for 30 minutes a while back.  Seems like an improvement to me !!!

Chet- That is a very nice race!  Keep putting in those miles, and the rest is easy.  You have the speed.  Just get that base up, and you will kill it!
2009-07-21 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2297565

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

tahrens -
WARNING.....TRACY IS GOING TO ASK A SERIOUS QUESTION.... does anybody jump rope?  I was at the gym trying to get my 4 miles on the TM next to a guy who had the running farts.  So in the middle of my asphyxiation I was trying to think of something else I could do.   What is the collective wisdom on this one? Of course with my coordination I might take out a few people.  Today I literally walked into the door frame of my office and dropped a dumb bell on my quad.  That will look lovely tomorrow.  I am getting close to Rob's record on gym accidents. 

I only jump ropes when trying to get away from the police. oops too much info?

2009-07-21 12:11 PM
in reply to: #2298819

User image

Champion
swbkrun - 2009-07-21 11:28 AM
SSMinnow - 2009-07-21 8:51 AM I am happy to report there was no puking during my hour long TT this morning, but boy was it hard. Pumped out the same number of Watts as my 30 minute one a month ago so Steve tells that is good enough to set new thresholds.  I am kind of bummed the watts were so low, but luckily for me I get to do it all over again in a month (she said with heavy sarcasm!).

So Suzy you are telling me that from your 30 min threshold test, and your HOUR LONG TT you cranked out the same wattage?  From what I understand a threshold test is an ALL OUT EFFORT for 30 minutes, and a 1 hour TT is an effort nearly all out (99%).  The way I see that is that you were able to hold the same wattage for an hour that you did for 30 minutes a while back.  Seems like an improvement to me !!!

Chet- That is a very nice race!  Keep putting in those miles, and the rest is easy.  You have the speed.  Just get that base up, and you will kill it!

Yeah, well ok. My 30 minute test on 5/12 was 139W and todays was 135W so according to the other Steve they are the same. He said as long as I felt like I was killing myself, I achieved the objective and we have my FTP.  At least now I know what doing this for an hour feels like so it should help me be better prepared next time.  Funny, there was a time I thought that Lance would never be so wimpy, so tried to take it up a notch.  I have even more respect for those guys.  I read somewhere the average tour rider puts out 7.0W/KG. Amazing.

2009-07-21 12:35 PM

User image

Pro
Mark Cavendish pushes almost 1700 WATTS in a sprint finish!  HOLY CRAP is all I can say!
2009-07-21 3:02 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Not to complain or anything, but why am I not sore today?!!! I was thinking I'd be knocked out for a week, but all I want to do is get back out there and find my next race! I ran after Ripley today at the park and nothing was sore

Any of you experience the same thing after a big race? I was thinking that maybe it is because I didn't run at my goal pace and did lots of run/walk. I guess it's good, but there is something satisfying about that post race soreness.

So, I went down to my bike guys and they are tempting me big time with a custom tri bike build (Guru just dropped their prices). I was asking about race wheels. He said not worth it on my road bike. Time to think about a tri bike. hmmmmmmmmm....food for thought. Never thought I'd have that much fun exerting myself for 56 miles, but if it can be faster, more efficient, better run off the bike...that's hard to pass up, especially now that I am fully addicted to long course racing!
2009-07-21 3:14 PM
in reply to: #2299525

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
kt65 - 2009-07-21 1:02 PM Not to complain or anything, but why am I not sore today?!!! I was thinking I'd be knocked out for a week, but all I want to do is get back out there and find my next race! I ran after Ripley today at the park and nothing was sore Any of you experience the same thing after a big race? I was thinking that maybe it is because I didn't run at my goal pace and did lots of run/walk. I guess it's good, but there is something satisfying about that post race soreness. So, I went down to my bike guys and they are tempting me big time with a custom tri bike build (Guru just dropped their prices). I was asking about race wheels. He said not worth it on my road bike. Time to think about a tri bike. hmmmmmmmmm....food for thought. Never thought I'd have that much fun exerting myself for 56 miles, but if it can be faster, more efficient, better run off the bike...that's hard to pass up, especially now that I am fully addicted to long course racing!

yep, I found the same thing after my HIM. I was a little sore the day after and fatigued, but not even close to the soreness after a marathon. I think using the muscles in different ways and not spending as much time pounding the pavement is easier for our bodies to recover from.
2009-07-21 3:14 PM

User image

Champion
kt65 - 2009-07-21 3:02 PM Not to complain or anything, but why am I not sore today?!!! I was thinking I'd be knocked out for a week, but all I want to do is get back out there and find my next race! I ran after Ripley today at the park and nothing was sore Any of you experience the same thing after a big race? I was thinking that maybe it is because I didn't run at my goal pace and did lots of run/walk. I guess it's good, but there is something satisfying about that post race soreness. So, I went down to my bike guys and they are tempting me big time with a custom tri bike build (Guru just dropped their prices). I was asking about race wheels. He said not worth it on my road bike. Time to think about a tri bike. hmmmmmmmmm....food for thought. Never thought I'd have that much fun exerting myself for 56 miles, but if it can be faster, more efficient, better run off the bike...that's hard to pass up, especially now that I am fully addicted to long course racing!

Maybe you aren't sore because you drank all that wine and it has recovery benefits! Seriously, I think triathlon is so much easier on the body than straight running and the 4/1 probably helped. Also remember you raced like you trained so your body is more used to it.  Start looking at those marathon plans, will ya?

Re: the tri bike.  I asked Gordo the same thing for me and his advice was to keep the aerobars on my road bike and invest in Power for outdoors, something like the Powertap.  His thought was the vast majority of people do not benefit from the tri bike because they are not able to get aero enough like the pros and the ability to monitor your output in the outdoors was a much bigger gain.  That of course, does not take into consideration the coolness factor of a hot bike like a GURU!

2009-07-21 3:29 PM

User image

Pro
Kim if we me, and whether I had to decide between wheels, and a bike--- I would go with the bike.  You can always rent wheels for the big races.  A couple things I have noticed this year switching from a road bike (converted to tri- cervelo) to a straight "TRI BIKE" is that I am putting out more power, and having a stronger run off the bike.

Also when I take the Cervelo out (like this morning) I actually have fun riding it now!

2009-07-21 3:30 PM
in reply to: #2299562

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2009-07-21 4:14 PM
kt65 - 2009-07-21 3:02 PM Not to complain or anything, but why am I not sore today?!!! I was thinking I'd be knocked out for a week, but all I want to do is get back out there and find my next race! I ran after Ripley today at the park and nothing was sore Any of you experience the same thing after a big race? I was thinking that maybe it is because I didn't run at my goal pace and did lots of run/walk. I guess it's good, but there is something satisfying about that post race soreness. So, I went down to my bike guys and they are tempting me big time with a custom tri bike build (Guru just dropped their prices). I was asking about race wheels. He said not worth it on my road bike. Time to think about a tri bike. hmmmmmmmmm....food for thought. Never thought I'd have that much fun exerting myself for 56 miles, but if it can be faster, more efficient, better run off the bike...that's hard to pass up, especially now that I am fully addicted to long course racing!

Maybe you aren't sore because you drank all that wine and it has recovery benefits! Seriously, I think triathlon is so much easier on the body than straight running and the 4/1 probably helped. Also remember you raced like you trained so your body is more used to it.  Start looking at those marathon plans, will ya?

Re: the tri bike.  I asked Gordo the same thing for me and his advice was to keep the aerobars on my road bike and invest in Power for outdoors, something like the Powertap.  His thought was the vast majority of people do not benefit from the tri bike because they are not able to get aero enough like the pros and the ability to monitor your output in the outdoors was a much bigger gain.  That of course, does not take into consideration the coolness factor of a hot bike like a GURU!

Not sure if I agree with that 100% I think most people can get aero enough given time.  Maybe you have to start off a bit high but over time unless you have a previous back condition you should be able to get aero enough to see the benefits of a tri bike.  I think women especially as they tend to be more flexible than guys. 

I had clip on aerobars on my road bike and was fitted with them.  Sam got them on hers and I installed them to what looked level.  My "aeroness" was horrible looking compared to how she fit on the bike with them. 

Going to the tri-bike got me much more aero than I could have possibly gotten on the road bike, but it also has taken time as I don't have the best back in the world and it has taken time to get me lower.

There are so many options for tri-bikes you could buy one + powertap for much less than some frames cost. 
2009-07-21 3:31 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

I was a little sore but nowhere near where I thought I'd be.  It took me a little time to get going again mentally though.  As far as the tri bike goes, I say go for it.  Do your research and you'll see the benefits are definitely there.
2009-07-21 3:52 PM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
2009-07-21 3:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
kt65 - 2009-07-21 4:02 PM Not to complain or anything, but why am I not sore today?!!! I was thinking I'd be knocked out for a week, but all I want to do is get back out there and find my next race! I ran after Ripley today at the park and nothing was sore Any of you experience the same thing after a big race? I was thinking that maybe it is because I didn't run at my goal pace and did lots of run/walk. I guess it's good, but there is something satisfying about that post race soreness. So, I went down to my bike guys and they are tempting me big time with a custom tri bike build (Guru just dropped their prices). I was asking about race wheels. He said not worth it on my road bike. Time to think about a tri bike. hmmmmmmmmm....food for thought. Never thought I'd have that much fun exerting myself for 56 miles, but if it can be faster, more efficient, better run off the bike...that's hard to pass up, especially now that I am fully addicted to long course racing!

Guru Cronos definitely contribute to the coolness factor.  They look different but in a very good way and their paint schemes are just COOL..
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383