BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-07-24 2:56 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
Happy Friday everyone...have a great weekend.

To everyone racing ... knock 'em dead, and then report back.
You don't use your fingers in the races, so they won't be tired.  We want to see race reports! 
Have fun out there!

2009-07-24 3:27 PM
in reply to: #2306403

User image

Extreme Veteran

The swim is a MILE away? Do you have to run that whole way or is the swim a point to point?  For your sake, I hope so.  Good luck and have fun.

Karen, knock'em dead. You are ready.  You have practiced in that wetsuit so zip it up and stay tough!!!!

It's a point to point swim.  It starts around 20 blocks away from the transition area (in NYC every 10 street blocks is a half mile or so).  I think the biggest complaints people have/had has to do with the run to the transition after the swim.  It's either 300yds or 400yds away depending on your transition area and the barefoot run is on concrete.
2009-07-24 4:46 PM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Good luck Stan and Karen!
2009-07-24 5:29 PM
in reply to: #2306304

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
kt65 - 2009-07-24 2:05 PM okay, quick change of subject. my phone is old. i am ready to upgrade to either a blackberry (curve, i think) or a palm pre. I have sprint, so can't get an iphone. anyone have any suggestions or reasons for one or the other?

I have a blackberry storm and like it a lot.  I have heard others have had problems with them but mine has been fine.
2009-07-25 6:21 AM

User image

Veteran
New York, New York
Races:  Me - NYC Triathlon - July 26th. :-)

You guys are great.  I hope my hip and knees hold up!

Yours truly,

dbw27
2009-07-25 8:27 AM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL

Whats up gang?

Just got back from WI for my sales meeting and am pushed for time this morning, so I am not going to even attempt to read all these posts.  Hope everthing is going good this week, and know we have a couple of racers this week end ...Good Luck. 

I did manage to squeeze in a couple of runs this week, but feel pretty much like a SLACKER. Damm those Wisconsin people drink alot!  Seems like every sport and activity is centered around some kind of adult beverage. 

Anyway, the wife and I are off to the lake for an Alan Jackson concert on the water this afternoon, so another slack day or so, but i am planning on riding a bit this morning. 

2009-07-25 11:37 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE RACING THIS WEEKEND!!!

Kim- I just got the Blackberry curve about a month ago, and I LOVE it.

On the headphones issue- I don't really mind if people wear them during races, but I feel like I miss out on a lot if I do. I had never raced with my ipod until my first marathon and I thought it might help me through some of those tough miles. I enjoyed having the music, but I really felt like I missed out on a lot of the experience by not hearing what people were saying around me. I also just feel more present and in the moment without music.  Of course, sometimes it's kind of nice not to be present and in the moment when everything HURTS.
2009-07-25 11:44 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Had a really good day today--1:16:38, #2 AG!

Experiment completed! Turned on my GPS and never looked at it again until the end.  Ran about 80-85% effort the first 8m and had enough strength to let it rip the last 2m and pass a load of people.  Post analysis my HR was right around LT until the last mile, except for on some of the long hills.  Fueling worked well--70 cals/tons of water.  Didnt beat LYs time, but I didn't think I would given a lot less mileage.  Overall, happy with the day.

Te only downer is my one of the best Master's runners in Madison turned 45.  She is now in my AG for four more years.  Bummer.

PS. Don't tell Steve I lit my crack pipe. I could say it was because they were yelling out splits at every mile and I wasn't supposed to know that, but it would be a lie. I made the decision before I even toed the line.

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-07-25 11:46 AM
2009-07-25 12:14 PM
in reply to: #2307431

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
SSMinnow - 2009-07-25 9:44 AM Had a really good day today--1:16:38, #2 AG!

Experiment completed! Turned on my GPS and never looked at it again until the end.  Ran about 80-85% effort the first 8m and had enough strength to let it rip the last 2m and pass a load of people.  Post analysis my HR was right around LT until the last mile, except for on some of the long hills.  Fueling worked well--70 cals/tons of water.  Didnt beat LYs time, but I didn't think I would given a lot less mileage.  Overall, happy with the day.

Te only downer is my one of the best Master's runners in Madison turned 45.  She is now in my AG for four more years.  Bummer.

PS. Don't tell Steve I lit my crack pipe. I could say it was because they were yelling out splits at every mile and I wasn't supposed to know that, but it would be a lie. I made the decision before I even toed the line.

Great job Suzy! I'd light it too, if it helped me run like you do!
2009-07-25 2:45 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Good luck to everyone racing!

Suzy - congrats!  Even got a swim in...you're an animal.

I wear headphones training, not racing.  Garmin ONLY on key workouts. 

Question on the Blackberries - Do you carry them training?  I had to give my crackberry back because it was to big to carry on the bike.  Went to a smaller phone but miss it. 

Have a good weekend!  Chet
2009-07-25 3:28 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Went to the chiropractor right after my run (and shower of course) to get a good assesment of where I am breaking down. It seems my solas (sp?) muscle is a little weak also I need to work my gluts more. Anyone have any good butt training exercises? Also need to stretch out my ankles. Other than that I am in good shape. Got the blisters on my toe again but I think that was because I forgot to put some BG bewtween my toes before my run..

Good run Suzy. We aren't allowed to wear headphones up here. Probably because we wouldn't be a ble to hear the bears and then be able to sprint ahead of the next slowest person. When you see a bear you don't have to be the fastest runner. Just faster than the slowest runner.

2009-07-25 4:39 PM
in reply to: #2307622

User image

Champion
Redknight - 2009-07-25 3:28 PM

Went to the chiropractor right after my run (and shower of course) to get a good assesment of where I am breaking down. It seems my solas (sp?) muscle is a little weak also I need to work my gluts more. Anyone have any good butt training exercises? Also need to stretch out my ankles. Other than that I am in good shape. Got the blisters on my toe again but I think that was because I forgot to put some BG bewtween my toes before my run..

Good run Suzy. We aren't allowed to wear headphones up here. Probably because we wouldn't be a ble to hear the bears and then be able to sprint ahead of the next slowest person. When you see a bear you don't have to be the fastest runner. Just faster than the slowest runner.

Rob

Different exercises target different parts of the glutes-medius, maximus, minimus.  I spent a lot of time this winter working on my right glute medius after getting hit by the bike using bands.  Two really simple exercises that are for more overall strengthening are

1. Sit at your kitchen chair with your arms out in front of you.  Raise your left leg off the floor and stand using only your right leg.  Do 3x8 on each side.
2. These exercises are great for glutes, but there are a lot of others for core if you are interested.

I find it interesting that your chiro thinks you have a weak soleous.  Weak often means tight. It is one of the muscles that really can cause you lower foot issues when tight, especially achilles or plantar. 

Hope these help.
Suzy
2009-07-25 4:53 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Congrats on a great finish Suzy!!

Got my BB Curve about 6 months ago and love it!
2009-07-25 5:04 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Thanks guys for the feedback...I'm definitely leaning toward the Blackberry Curve.

Rob, is it the Soleus or the Psoas... my psoas tends to get tight which affects my glutes. I have some ideas for great stretches that my chiro has me do. pm. me.

Great job on the race Suzy! You ARE an animal!

Danett, Stan, Karen, Sam!!! GOOD LUCK THIS WEEKEND!

Everyone else, have fun training!
2009-07-25 5:06 PM

User image

Champion
Per Linda's request, here is the RR.  Short and sweet just like me Tongue out.

To tomorrow's racers, STAY TOUGH, BE STRONG and don't forget to cross the finish line with a smile!

Suzy
2009-07-25 6:17 PM

User image

Great job Suzy!  Yet another podium finish for you.  Nice! 
And thanks for getting the race report done so quickly....I am so living through you guys and your races 

2009-07-25 7:00 PM

User image

So here is a training related question for you guys/gals.

My training time/mileage has increased and yet my life has not slowed down to accomodate the training so I begin to drag really early in the day.   I am getting as much sleep as I can possibly get, so that is not my answer.  I have found that I am turning to an old vice of mine to help pep me up and keep me going for the day...Coke (cola).  I know the coke is not good (I use to drink alot a few years ago and totally cut it out), and I think it is giving me heartburn.  But a coke around 10:00am usually helps me when I feel I am beginning to slump and it seems to keep me going.  Any suggestions and/or substitutions to help keep me going yet lose this habit?

Thanks  
2009-07-25 7:18 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Linda - I so know what you are talking about!  Unfortunately my vise is coffee.  I usually have a lunchtime workout and then I feel pretty good but I use coffe to get me over that late morning hump.  If you figure this out, let me know   It is the worst when I run before work.  I am trying to figure out how to harness my kids energy so I can solve the energy crisis too.
2009-07-25 7:28 PM
in reply to: #2307861

User image

Elite
san francisco
Havin'Fun - 2009-07-25 5:00 PM

So here is a training related question for you guys/gals.

My training time/mileage has increased and yet my life has not slowed down to accomodate the training so I begin to drag really early in the day.   I am getting as much sleep as I can possibly get, so that is not my answer.  I have found that I am turning to an old vice of mine to help pep me up and keep me going for the day...Coke (cola).  I know the coke is not good (I use to drink alot a few years ago and totally cut it out), and I think it is giving me heartburn.  But a coke around 10:00am usually helps me when I feel I am beginning to slump and it seems to keep me going.  Any suggestions and/or substitutions to help keep me going yet lose this habit?

Thanks  

Linda- are you getting proteins within 30 minutes of your workouts? I know that for me, once I started to be very diligent about either a protein drink or even chocolate milk or even stashing a bar in my workout bag, it helped me out alot.
2009-07-25 7:43 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
Suzy - You rock!! Way to be.

Today I finished up my TdF Challenge.  I had to dig deep to get the last 100 miles over the last 3 days, and just over 300 miles in the last 2.5 weeks.  I'll have tomorrow off and then I plan to ride 100 miles on Monday with another BT'er.  This month will be some crazy miles on the bike!
2009-07-25 11:34 PM
in reply to: #2307431

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

SSMinnow - 2009-07-25 11:44 AM Had a really good day today--1:16:38, #2 AG!

Nice Job!!!  I knew you would do well.  Sorry about the "youngster" coming into your AG though

2009-07-25 11:38 PM
in reply to: #2307594

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

cbarnes1 - 2009-07-25 2:45 PM Good luck to everyone racing!

Suzy - congrats!  Even got a swim in...you're an animal.

I wear headphones training, not racing.  Garmin ONLY on key workouts. 

Question on the Blackberries - Do you carry them training?  I had to give my crackberry back because it was to big to carry on the bike.  Went to a smaller phone but miss it. 

Have a good weekend!  Chet

I've got a palm.  This is what I use on my stem...

http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/PDAPhonePack

So far I really like it.  I have had a few months now!

2009-07-25 11:43 PM
in reply to: #2307861

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Havin'Fun - 2009-07-25 7:00 PM So here is a training related question for you guys/gals.

Thanks  

Linda, do you like tea?  Sounds like the caffeine is what gets you going...  A couple of cups of green tea or glass or two of iced tea might do the trick!

2009-07-26 6:14 AM

User image

Champion
Hi Kids.....man am I sore this morning.  It takes us old people a while to bounce back from a race I guess.  Hope I have the legs for my 60m bike today.

Linda--diet coke or regular?  There has been a lot written on caffeine and it may not be as bad as we have been led to believe.  Sugar on the other hand, not good.  Leads to inflammation which as endurance athletes we do not need.  I know your smallest is now in school, what about a 10-15 minute nap? if not that, how is your diet? Kim is right on the recovery protein/carb combo, but are you getting enough F&VS and protein in your normal diet?  Lastly, are you taking your RHR daily?  It might point to the need to take an rest day more frequently or at least tone it down a little.  I personally hate rest days, but as my hours increase I am trying to learn to embrace them (trying!).

Jeremy--nice job on the Challenge. Have fun on that bike ride!

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-07-26 6:15 AM
2009-07-26 9:36 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
I started my 12 week olympic paln 1 week ago. So far so good. As of this AM I have done 3 strength and core workouts. They're tough and leave me sore but each time it is not as bad as the first previous time. I still feel awkward during some of them. I hope to see improvement from this on the swim bike and run. It is a challange to get 10-12 hrs in each week. So far the most consistently sore places are  my hamstrigns and quads (surpirse, NOT). The arm soreness is all gone. I had one day of lower back pain on my right side but after 4 ibuprofen it went away.

I am going to do a long sprint 8/15 and hope to use that as a judgement of how the program is helping.

My number one observation is that my running has deteriorated since I was doing 80% running. My treadmill session was harder than it used to be. Hopefully it will go back up.

Thanks for the inspires and questions.

Suzy great run!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383