Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 190

2013-05-20 3:41 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia - OPEN

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5 x5 or 6 on the gears, for sure. Otherwise it can turn into a mash-fest and blow your quads out... Prickly heat (heat rash up here in the less creative north) can, indeed, be a bear. Will it be under any part of your racing kit on race day? We raced this weekend as a family. Kim and I did a local 5k (PR'd at 19:35 by watch, 19:41 official, 8OA/3AG and Kim was 2AG - very happy to do that on tired legs), and the three kids did the mile (2 PR's, oldest got 3AG and middle got within a few seconds of her PR). Then hung around with friends in the sun... Good times! After that, hit the hills on my new tri-bike with a short run off the bike. Interesting climbing on the P2 vs. the Venge, for sure, but it sure was easier to run off it afterward! Good luck all ramping up for the race. Wish I were there to cheer you on! Matt

Love those family races! Congrats on the PR- that's speedy!

2013-05-20 6:11 PM
in reply to: KansasMom

User image

Originally posted by KansasMom

Re: bike -- I used every single gear on the ride this morning. Is that normal or preferable, or is it evidence that my bike fitness is in the toilet? Need a different cassette? The course is hilly for Kansas, but not hilly compared to what most of you ride. I passed only very few people going up hill, but I ended up sailing past people on the descents. (Thank you for the previous discussion on climbing/descending)

I plan to use every single one of my gears at Honu in a couple of weeks. The funny thing is, if the course you are doing is somewhat hilly, and you are NOT using all of your gears...that's likely a sign that you should be using a different cassette. IOW, If I'm running a 11-32 cassette, and I never use the 28 or 32 gears...that probably means I should have switched to a 11-25.

OTOH, if you are using all your gears, and still wishing you had easier gears on top of that...that likely means you need a different cassette that offers an easier gear or two.
2013-05-20 8:25 PM
in reply to: tri808

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Spent two long days working over the weekend and couldn't get my long run in on Sunday as a result but I managed to get it done today instead.  20 kms in a city that I've never been in before (Brandon, MB) was fun.  

Tomorrow is the official production release to our users of a project that I have been working on for the last 2.5 years.  I'm pretty confident it will go smoother than another big release that we've all been subjected to in the last few days....

2013-05-20 8:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by axteraa

Spent two long days working over the weekend and couldn't get my long run in on Sunday as a result but I managed to get it done today instead.  20 kms in a city that I've never been in before (Brandon, MB) was fun.  

Tomorrow is the official production release to our users of a project that I have been working on for the last 2.5 years.  I'm pretty confident it will go smoother than another big release that we've all been subjected to in the last few days....

Yeah, well give us a login and we will be the judge of that

Good luck Arend - I know from experience that sort of thing can be a thankless task...

ETA: Hey! Sarc font still works! Thank goodness....

Edited by TankBoy 2013-05-20 8:39 PM
2013-05-20 8:41 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

x5 or 6 on the gears, for sure. Otherwise it can turn into a mash-fest and blow your quads out...

Prickly heat (heat rash up here in the less creative north) can, indeed, be a bear. Will it be under any part of your racing kit on race day?

We raced this weekend as a family. Kim and I did a local 5k (PR'd at 19:35 by watch, 19:41 official, 8OA/3AG and Kim was 2AG - very happy to do that on tired legs), and the three kids did the mile (2 PR's, oldest got 3AG and middle got within a few seconds of her PR). Then hung around with friends in the sun... Good times!

After that, hit the hills on my new tri-bike with a short run off the bike. Interesting climbing on the P2 vs. the Venge, for sure, but it sure was easier to run off it afterward!

Good luck all ramping up for the race. Wish I were there to cheer you on!

Matt

That is awesome, Matt - sub-20 is the gold standard, at least for us triathletes anyway - that is flat-out moving!
2013-05-20 9:05 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Today's ride is definitely on my "hardest things I have done in my life" list. 11,000' of climbing with 6500' coming in the last 28 miles. I think I rode it perfectly for my current state of fitness but I am feeling pretty well cooked at the moment.

2013-05-21 1:51 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Originally posted by TankBoy

Do you have any idea what your average cadence vs. your cadence on the biggest climbs was? Did you feel like you were really mashing your gears when you were climbing or was it manageable? If figure if you have the gears then use them, so I wouldn't worry too much about getting into your smallest combination on occasion unless you are still really struggling. Just read your blog - congrats on quickly dealing with the mechanical and getting back out on the road - very nice work indeed!

(I guess we've lost the ability to highlight/bold text?)

Re: First question -- My average cadence is low -- 80ish. On slight inclines, I can maintain that cadence pretty well, and can even gain speed. (Thanks to the gentle "hills" I have on my training routes and riding in wind, almost always). These hills were completely manageable. I just settled into my comfortable cadence and kept at it. I had decided that I didn't want to completely gas myself trying to attack every hill.

Re: Second question -- During the more extreme grades, I was mashing in the granny gear. I would stand up every minute or so for 30-60 seconds to build up a little speed, and then I would sit back down to rest and mash away. These were not terribly severe hills, although, they were not just "rollers." Almost everyone was suffering on them although most people were faster getting up them than I was.

I just need more hill work. I had found some sand hills to try to ride through (on paved road), but a cyclist in town dissuaded me from doing it because the hills end up being blind and he's had a few close calls. In any case, these would have just been "roller" practice.

As always, thanks everyone for helping me out. I will keep using my gears.
2013-05-21 1:53 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

x5 or 6 on the gears, for sure. Otherwise it can turn into a mash-fest and blow your quads out...

Ah, yes. My quads are extremely unhappy with me today, and getting angrier as the evening lingers.
2013-05-21 2:26 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Originally posted by tri808

Re: bike -- I used every single gear on the ride this morning. Is that normal or preferable, or is it evidence that my bike fitness is in the toilet? Need a different cassette? The course is hilly for Kansas, but not hilly compared to what most of you ride. I passed only very few people going up hill, but I ended up sailing past people on the descents. (Thank you for the previous discussion on climbing/descending)

I plan to use every single one of my gears at Honu in a couple of weeks. The funny thing is, if the course you are doing is somewhat hilly, and you are NOT using all of your gears...that's likely a sign that you should be using a different cassette. IOW, If I'm running a 11-32 cassette, and I never use the 28 or 32 gears...that probably means I should have switched to a 11-25.

OTOH, if you are using all your gears, and still wishing you had easier gears on top of that...that likely means you need a different cassette that offers an easier gear or two.

I was wishing that I had one more easier gear on a couple of the climbs. Currently I have a 53/39 crank and an11-28 cassette (I had to count the teeth, so I may have miscounted). I have an old Quintana Roo Narrow Aero, with 650s. I hope I've described all of this correctly.
2013-05-21 6:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Today's ride is definitely on my "hardest things I have done in my life" list. 11,000' of climbing with 6500' coming in the last 28 miles. I think I rode it perfectly for my current state of fitness but I am feeling pretty well cooked at the moment.

YOW, that's some verts. I've had days skiing that I think covered less!

Congrats on what must have been a brutal (but fun, I hope) ride. Is this in prep for a hilly course, or just something you took down on your own?
2013-05-21 6:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Ah, yes. My quads are extremely unhappy with me today, and getting angrier as the evening lingers.

Everybody's been there, and hence why we're all saying to use the gears.

As for hills, some drills call for hitting them in lower cadence and others for higher. The former, I believe, helps develop power. The latter gets you up the hill using that power.

If I'm trying to really smoke up a hill, I'll actually keep my cadence closer to 90-93, and sometimes spin right up over a hundred as if I were sprinting. I suppose it depends on what you're trying to achieve (KOM or tri). In a tri, I would NOT try to smoke the hill and just keep the cadence in what is the low-comfortable range for me (low to mid 80's, so higher than power training on a hill, lower than trying to blast up it) and preserve my legs for the run without losing too much time on the hill.

I'd love to hear what others think on this, as while I ride a fair amount, I haven't done that many tri's (at least not this millennium, so my data are "stale" at best!!).

Matt

2013-05-21 6:17 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by TankBoy Today's ride is definitely on my "hardest things I have done in my life" list. 11,000' of climbing with 6500' coming in the last 28 miles. I think I rode it perfectly for my current state of fitness but I am feeling pretty well cooked at the moment.

Good grief, that sounds insane!  Congrats on getting that done.

2013-05-21 6:20 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by KansasMom (I guess we've lost the ability to highlight/bold text?)

Like this?

You probably have to re-enable the rich text editor.  Click your username in the top right and pick settings.  Then click Forum settings along the left and choose General.  From there change the option for Use Rich editor for forum and blog posts

2013-05-21 7:10 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Originally posted by TankBoy Today's ride is definitely on my "hardest things I have done in my life" list. 11,000' of climbing with 6500' coming in the last 28 miles. I think I rode it perfectly for my current state of fitness but I am feeling pretty well cooked at the moment.

Cool

That sounds awesome!!!! I should hope that you feel cooked after that!

2013-05-21 9:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Everybody's been there, and hence why we're all saying to use the gears.

As for hills, some drills call for hitting them in lower cadence and others for higher. The former, I believe, helps develop power. The latter gets you up the hill using that power.

If I'm trying to really smoke up a hill, I'll actually keep my cadence closer to 90-93, and sometimes spin right up over a hundred as if I were sprinting. I suppose it depends on what you're trying to achieve (KOM or tri). In a tri, I would NOT try to smoke the hill and just keep the cadence in what is the low-comfortable range for me (low to mid 80's, so higher than power training on a hill, lower than trying to blast up it) and preserve my legs for the run without losing too much time on the hill.

I'd love to hear what others think on this, as while I ride a fair amount, I haven't done that many tri's (at least not this millennium, so my data are "stale" at best!!).

Matt

I want to keep 2 things relatively even : cadence and power. If I didn't have a powermeter it would be cadence and HR
So I adjust my gears to ensure I keep cadence and power as even as possible.

2013-05-21 12:23 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

What's your preferred cadence for tri's?  For tri's, I generally stay between 90 and 93.  Just curious what others do...

For group rides, it's whatever works!!

Thanks

Matt

2013-05-21 12:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

What's your preferred cadence for tri's?  For tri's, I generally stay between 90 and 93.  Just curious what others do...

For group rides, it's whatever works!!

Thanks

Matt

I find that for tempo to higher power levels 90 works well for me. I find it easier to generate power at 90+.

2013-05-21 2:34 PM

User image

Nice going Rusty.
2013-05-21 3:33 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

I want to keep 2 things relatively even : cadence and power. If I didn't have a powermeter it would be cadence and HR So I adjust my gears to ensure I keep cadence and power as even as possible.

So...what if you didn't have any of those things?

The more I ride, it is becoming more natural and I rarely find myself in the wrong gear anymore. I do tend to ride the same roads over and over and find myself not even thinking about which gear I am in....that's why I think it is important to check out new routes or at least try to replicate the race courses in your training.

I am also curious...if you use a trainer a lot, is it harder to know which gear works when you are out on the road? I never ride the trainer but understand that many of you do.

2013-05-21 4:00 PM
in reply to: riorio

User image

I am also curious...if you use a trainer a lot, is it harder to know which gear works when you are out on the road? I never ride the trainer but understand that many of you do.

I ride the trainer 2X per week and outside once. Not an issue.
2013-05-21 4:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by riorio

I want to keep 2 things relatively even : cadence and power. If I didn't have a powermeter it would be cadence and HR So I adjust my gears to ensure I keep cadence and power as even as possible.

So...what if you didn't have any of those things? ;)

The more I ride, it is becoming more natural and I rarely find myself in the wrong gear anymore. I do tend to ride the same roads over and over and find myself not even thinking about which gear I am in....that's why I think it is important to check out new routes or at least try to replicate the race courses in your training.

RPE can replace power or HR. if it's getting harder, time to shift. Cadence, well, you know if you are slowing down or not.

I guess bottom line you are trying to stay smooth, not really changing anything. Speed wll change however :-)

I agree it becomes natural including using a combination of front/back in one shift

Edited by marcag 2013-05-21 4:05 PM

2013-05-21 4:34 PM
in reply to: riorio

User image

Question for the group =- Not that I need to spend any more money, but I am a triathlete and likes my toys

I have a 910, but it's sort of a pain to ride with on the wrist and monitor power etc. Especially in sketchy windy conditions like Wildflower was. With the Garmin sale going on, is there any benefit to picking up an 800? At $229 it's relatively cheap. But come on, two power units?? I would not use the mapping features to guide a ride, etc.

The alternative is to get the quick release for the 910, although not sure I would swim with is as the stories of loss are a little scary.

THoughts? Advice? Put the visa away?

I still have to pay for tri bike transport and hotels etc etc for IM Canada, so it's not like the $ has nowhere else to go
2013-05-21 6:09 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Chris,

I'm sure you could get by with your 910 if you really wanted to. Maybe get bike mount (not the quick release, but the one that goes over your handle bars) for training days, and simply use it off your wrist for racing. I tend to stare at my power numbers more during hard interval days...during races, I race more off of RPE and just make sure power is in check by glancing at the numbers a few times (also looking up the road to avoid all the people I'm passing ).

That said, you will never pry my Edge 500 out of my hands. If both my 500 and 910 broke, I'd replace the 500 and go with a lower level running watch to replace the 910. I don't use the swim features as much as I thought I would, and while the race day multi sport is nice, it's not make or break for me since I really don't race tris neary as much as I bike race. An Edge 500 makes you look like a bike racer. Using a 910 during a bike race makes you look like a triathlete tool...LOL!

The 800 for $229 is a great deal, but I still prefer the smaller size of the 500. I don't even like the size of the new 510. The touch screen ability to change fields on the fly is cool though.
2013-05-21 7:46 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Extreme Veteran
where is the Garmin sale ?

Like Jason, I love my 500.

I don't trust quick release on the swim. I already lost a 310 with it, although it did get me the 910 :-)
2013-05-21 8:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by marcag where is the Garmin sale ? Like Jason, I love my 500. I don't trust quick release on the swim. I already lost a 310 with it, although it did get me the 910 :-)

Well played!

My experience is a bit different.  I use the 910 for swims - pool so I don't have to count too many laps (small brain, and I now listen to music swimming - love it) and OWS for pace/distance.  Also use it for running and find it quite helpful from intervals to distance/time, etc.

I ride with the 800 on both my road and tri bikes and, while it's a bit more clunky than an SRM or 500, I really like it and use many of the features (have used the map a few times in a pinch, including preloading a couple sweet rides that I'd have been lost on otherwise).  Many of my roadie/racer friends also ride with the 800.  Less than half as many use others, but not much less… 'Round these parts, 800's are as racery as anything (at least through Cat 2 - beyond that and they can do whatever they want!).

For tri's, I use the 910.  This season, I'm going to remove the 800 so I can get a bottle between my aerobars (first year with a tri bike instead of the Venge, so gonna try it), and just use the 910 for all three.  When I'm racing, I don't look at it much at all, except that this year I plan to monitor my power on the HIM and prolly the Oly's, too (sprints I look at HR some and mostly go by RPE).

So, I guess it depends (of course)!  I like having both.  If I had to pick just one, I'd go 910 cuz I s/b/r.  If I had to choose b/w a 500 and 800, well, I already did.  

Matt

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 190