General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George - Utah : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2010-03-17 9:08 AM
in reply to: #2730158

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Ironman St. George - Utah : Official Thread
tcovert - 2010-03-16 7:18 PM

SAquavia - 2010-03-16 4:37 PM

For those who are IM vets who have competed in races with similar logistics (bus into the swim, etc.), any advice to give on how these things work - particularly the bus into the swim?  Do you wear comfy clothes on the bus and carry your wetsuit, goggles and cap in a bag, or do you get on the bus ready to get into the water right away (wearing wetsuit, holding goggles/cap)?  Do you supply your own storage bag for these things if you do indeed wear comfy clothes and such?  Do they provide numbered/tagged bags?  If you supply your own, do you label them in any particular way?  What "extras" do you bring to the swim start, and what would you recommend that we leave back at the hotel?

As far as I can tell from the schedule, you'll be setting up T1 at the reservoir on Friday...everything you need for swim or bike I assume you'll take with you then.  (That's kind of the opposite of the two-transition-area iron distance race I did last year:  You had to set up T2 the day before and then set up T1 on race morning.)  You'll bring your bike and a gear bag with whatever you need for T1 and check them in then.  You'll presumably also have a designated bag to stash everything that needs to be transported to the finish from T1...that includes whatever comfy clothes you shed before the swim.  (There's a "morning clothes bag" area on the T1 map...I assume we'll be turning in that bag there pre-race for transport.)  Every two-transition-area race I've done so far has provided either a numbered bag or at least a label with your race number to put on a bag.  They'll let us know the specifics as we get closer to race day, but I'd expect them to take both the morning bag and the usual IM T1 gear bag back to the finish area after T1 closes.

Does anyone know any rules regarding assistance from friends and family along the course?  If my wife wants to hand me a water bottle or banana while I'm running, is that against the rules?

Outside assistance is technically a rule violation.  You will have access to a special needs bag on bike and run...that's the place for extra bottles, favorite treats, etc.

For those with clinchers, I assume most carry two tubes with them.  If, god forbid, you have multiple flats and run through two tubes, are you  S*&t out of luck, or is there some sort of Ironman Course AAA to help you out with a spare tube?  Or had I better bring a patch kit as well?

Pretty sure all the M-Dot races have a bike tech on course, but I'll bring a mini patch kit in addition to two tubes.  I'm not competing for a podium spot or Kona slot, so I'm more worried about finishing than how long it takes me...or the extra couple ounces of weight.  If I flat three times, I'd still like to have a chance to finish.

Yup, pretty much what he said. The only thing I do different is I'll only carry 1 extra tube on my bike. I'll put another tube in my bike special needs bag in case I need it. If I flat after that I'm screwed and would have a serious internal discussion as to whether or not I'd continue racing as my goal would be shot.

2010-03-17 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2730103

User image

Sensei
Sin City
SAquavia - 2010-03-16 4:37 PM The great thing about being an IM newbie is having limited options.  I have one bike, one set of wheels, one wetsuit, one pair of tri shorts and one bib to wear (+/- rain gear and perhaps arm/leg warmers if it is particularly cold!). 

My plan for a windy day:  go faster when it's at my back, and slower when it's in my face, and likely drink more of Sand Hollow Reservoir when I'm swimming.  At least hydration will be less of an issue...how long does it take the "runs" to set in?  I wonder....

For those who are IM vets who have competed in races with similar logistics (bus into the swim, etc.), any advice to give on how these things work - particularly the bus into the swim?  Do you wear comfy clothes on the bus and carry your wetsuit, goggles and cap in a bag, or do you get on the bus ready to get into the water right away (wearing wetsuit, holding goggles/cap)?  Do you supply your own storage bag for these things if you do indeed wear comfy clothes and such?  Do they provide numbered/tagged bags?  If you supply your own, do you label them in any particular way?  What "extras" do you bring to the swim start, and what would you recommend that we leave back at the hotel?

Does anyone know any rules regarding assistance from friends and family along the course?  If my wife wants to hand me a water bottle or banana while I'm running, is that against the rules?

For those with clinchers, I assume most carry two tubes with them.  If, god forbid, you have multiple flats and run through two tubes, are you  S*&t out of luck, or is there some sort of Ironman Course AAA to help you out with a spare tube?  Or had I better bring a patch kit as well?

Any other, "if you are thinking (hoping) that the organizers are gonna XXX, you had better think again" type of advice for us newbies? 

I know what I will say is a repeat, but these are great/fun questions!

I haven't done this race obviously, but others had a specific time frame and location to meet shuttles to take you out to the swim.  The only sucky part about the shuttles, is that you have to leave REALLY early (well, earlier than if you drove yourself).  PLUS, getting to the shuttle pickup location is stull up to you.

I will wear my tri suit with warm clothes over it, and bring my wetsuit and bike nutrition.  You should/could have left your bike gear with your bike the day before in a bag (shoes, helmet, etc).  Get to the start, set up/check my bike and get into my wetsuit.  The provided a bag to put you warm clothes in and I stuck a sticker with my number on it.  They will transport it back for you.  When you get out of the water, you will take your bike bag and get your shoes and helmet and put your wetsuit in it.  They will bring THAT bag back as well (to the finish).

They provide all the bags, and stickers with your number to put on them.  I'm not sure if they have them color coded or just a place to mark on them if they are Bike/run/sn/etc...  Mine were white, and had a box to check to indicate what was inside.

ANY assistance other than from racers or race officials/volunteers is considered a rule violation.  Not that I don't see it happen.  Personally, it sort of bugs me.  Not becuase it's an advantage, but it goes against the spirit of the event, but it's a minor infraction so I don't judge too harshly.  In fact, one time I threw something to my wife that I didn't want to cary on the bike anymore (arm warmers or something).

As for flats...  I bring 2 tubes and 2-3 CO2's AND a mini patch kit.  I also pack one extra tube and one extra CO2 in my SN bag.  If I get a flat in the first 56, I grab them.  If I don't need them, I just leave them in the bag (unfortunately, to be thrown out).  But that's a small price to pay for the little bit of insurance.  ALSO, there IS roadside assistance, but I would not bank on that.  It could be a LONG time before seeing the SAG wagon.  I plan on finishing, even if I get up to 3-4 flats.

I can't think of anything specific (for your last question), but in general, prepare like it's any other race.  Be completely self sufficient.  You can't go wrong there.  HOWEVER, realize that this is a big event run by a big company that has done a couple of these!  Typically, logistics are pretty well thought out.  They may seem confusing, but they are usually in place.

HOWEVER, I also look at it this way.  This is the first time this particular event is happening.  There could always be issues with a first time event.  Be flexable and calm and work through them.  Be prepared to make adjustments.  ALSO, I find it helpful to get to my places early, go to the pre-meetings, etc.  Being informed and NOT rushed makes a big difference.  Walk/drive the course and T1/T2.  Get familiar with them, etc.

Edited by Kido 2010-03-17 10:55 AM
2010-03-17 11:20 AM
in reply to: #2729926

User image

Master
South of SLC
Kido - 2010-03-16 3:46 PM

Rollin' Thunder - 2010-03-16 2:18 PM It shouldn't be an issue. Let me check with my pal Scott and I am sure it will be fine. Mike

sportyj will be out there with an entourage as well.  I can work out something...

What time are you people planning on starting? I like starting around 10 a.m. to let the weather get a little warmer, especially up in the mountains. Since there was only one carload of us before, we parked at the small clubhouse in the first development as you turn onto Snow Canyon Road. If there are that many people going to descend on the course at the same time, I might suggest the elementary school that is just a little off course, still on Snow Canyon Road in Ivins.

Anyone else have a suggestion for time/rendezvous point?

Mike
2010-03-17 11:54 AM
in reply to: #2731377

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Rollin' Thunder - 2010-03-17 9:20 AM
Rollin' Thunder - 2010-03-16 2:18 PM It shouldn't be an issue. Let me check with my pal Scott and I am sure it will be fine. Mike

sportyj will be out there with an entourage as well.  I can work out something...
What time are you people planning on starting? I like starting around 10 a.m. to let the weather get a little warmer, especially up in the mountains. Since there was only one carload of us before, we parked at the small clubhouse in the first development as you turn onto Snow Canyon Road. If there are that many people going to descend on the course at the same time, I might suggest the elementary school that is just a little off course, still on Snow Canyon Road in Ivins. Anyone else have a suggestion for time/rendezvous point? Mike

I'm up for anything...  Mind you, I will probably drive in from Vegas that morning.  So 9-10 sounds perfect.  I don't have to get up THAT early then.  A 6am start would be rough for me.  Then I would need to be up at 3 to get there in time...  Ick.  But I would do it.
2010-03-17 4:49 PM
in reply to: #2223820

User image

Veteran
Ok so here is my report:  This is my first IM and according to all the information so far, it will be hard.  I did my first 6:30hrs bike ride on Sunday with elevation gain of 6,693 and covered 64.5miles at Zone 3 (heart rate).  It fell tough.  I'm confident on the swim and on the run but now I'm starting to think that the bike is going to be very hard.

Keep posting all your advice and reports.  I know I will be ready...
2010-03-17 7:46 PM
in reply to: #2727257

User image

Kido - 2010-03-15 11:44 AM I have to be honest, I have been confident up till now.  This cold, plus a couple bad workouts has me shaken...  I only swam twice in the last two weeks and my long runs have been a bit painful...  Those are my strong suits as well...

You'll be fine.  If you've been training over the winter, the a few missed workouts due to a cold aren't going to have any real impact. You'll get healthy next week and likely come back stronger because you will have rested more.  My advice:  keep hydrated, keep EATING and keep SLEEPING as much as possible.  You'll bounce back and your body will thank you for the down time with greater strength!

2010-03-17 10:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Phoenix
So, this is my first IM, and I've noticed that my running is beginning to suffer. Is this normal during training? I've been running waaaay slower than I usually do. If I slow down any more, it will be called "Walking". I think my body's just tired. Am I alone in this?
2010-03-18 3:06 AM

User image

Regular
Allen, TX ( Basically North of Dallas)
Has anyone heard of what pros are going to be racing in St. George?  I am always curious to see if some of the top IM pros are going to be there.  
2010-03-18 9:45 AM
in reply to: #2732779

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Tsunami (Eddy) - 2010-03-18 4:06 AM

Has anyone heard of what pros are going to be racing in St. George?  I am always curious to see if some of the top IM pros are going to be there.  

I'm positive Michael Lovato is racing. And I believe Kate Major is as well.
Michael was at the IMSG Training Camp a few weeks ago... that dude is a specimen!

2010-03-18 9:49 AM
in reply to: #2732699

User image

Cedar Park
dieathlon - 2010-03-17 10:45 PM So, this is my first IM, and I've noticed that my running is beginning to suffer. Is this normal during training? I've been running waaaay slower than I usually do. If I slow down any more, it will be called "Walking". I think my body's just tired. Am I alone in this?

I am with you on this.  I think mine is due to the fact I have started doing alot of high paced stuff during the week (sprints, tempo runs, and just spending more time in high zone 3-4).  So by the time I get to the weekends longer swim, bike, and runs it is everything I can do to just finish.  Alot of my pacing goes out the window and it becomes all mental stamina. Now this is my first Ironman, but all the other longer races I have trained for (halfs and marathons) my goal during this time is to get through injury free and healthy.  Correct me if I am wrong experienced racers, but this time of training is all about taking your body to the limit without breaking.  So it is natural to be a bit slower, tired, and just overall drained.  This is why I like training based on time and not distance.  Just remember everything little thing you do, walk or run, is helping you get to that finish line.
2010-03-18 1:56 PM
in reply to: #2730522

User image

Master
South of SLC
sportyj - 2010-03-16 10:44 PM

So we talking BIG group weekend of 26-27?  SWEET! 

So are we planning on meeting around 10:00 a.m. on the 27th? sportyj? Kido?

Mike

2010-03-18 2:11 PM

User image

Veteran
I need advice on wetsuites:  I have a XTERRA Vortex but I tried it and it's a bit hard to swim with it becaues it restricts the proper movement of the arm.  Have anyone used a sleeveless suite with speed sleeves like the Quintana Roo?  Does it helps to avoid get too cool or is the full suite better and I'll get use to it?

Please advice...
2010-03-18 2:22 PM
in reply to: #2734071

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
nelsonv - 2010-03-18 12:11 PM I need advice on wetsuites:  I have a XTERRA Vortex but I tried it and it's a bit hard to swim with it becaues it restricts the proper movement of the arm.  Have anyone used a sleeveless suite with speed sleeves like the Quintana Roo?  Does it helps to avoid get too cool or is the full suite better and I'll get use to it?

Please advice...

Are you sure your suit is sized correctly?  I have a Vortex and returned the first one I got for a larger size because it was too tight through the shoulders (suit was actually too short for me, so it was pulling down on my shoulders and restricting my stroke).  The replacement suit was fine.

Also:  Have you worn a fullsuit previously?  If so, have you had this problem (meaning, is this a sleeves issue or maybe a size issue)?

You will likely want sleeves for a May 1 swim in Utah...but don't settle for what may be an improperly sized wetsuit.  I use both a Vortex 2 fullsuit and a Vortex 3 sleeveless and like both of them fine, FWIW.

Edited by tcovert 2010-03-18 2:24 PM
2010-03-19 10:13 AM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
Hey everyone. . .I've had a few posts, but generally have been lurking on this site for months, but thought I'd officially introduce myself.  I appreciate all of the comments and advice. 
When are you getting to St. George? Driving in on Wed.
Where are you staying? Hampton Inn
How many Ironman races have you done? I'm a roadie and dabbling in this IM thing.  Done some halfs, but this is my first IM.
Is your training on pace with what you planned? I'm trusting my plan and feel pretty good.  Still feel like I need to go longer on the bike and run.

I road the course last weekend from Sand Hollow and did one loop.  I'm riding a compact crank with an 11-26.  This was my second time on the course and I didn't think it was that bad.  I thought the long shallow climb out of Veyo has the potential to be the most taxing especially if it is windy.  I started the ride at 7am daylight time and the wind wasn't bad throughout.  There was also some decent shade on the way to Gunlock so hopefully that holds up over the next month at least for the first lap.  Like everyone has said pacing will be critical. 

I saw a lot of comments about the cattle guards.  The first one is the only one I thought you needed to be careful on because it isn't perpendicular to the road.  Make sure your tires are properly inflated and go fast.

Maybe it's because I'm a roadie, but honestly my biggest concern is the run.  I ran half the course back in  November and I'm going to run a full lap on Saturday.  That climb after the turn at 900E looks like a total suck fest. 

2010-03-19 10:17 AM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
nelsonv - 2010-03-18 1:11 PM I need advice on wetsuites:  I have a XTERRA Vortex but I tried it and it's a bit hard to swim with it becaues it restricts the proper movement of the arm.  Have anyone used a sleeveless suite with speed sleeves like the Quintana Roo?  Does it helps to avoid get too cool or is the full suite better and I'll get use to it?

Please advice...

I've only used a short john in my past tris and was concerned about how a full suit would feel on my shoulders too.  I bought a RocketScience suit a few months ago.  Thier design focus is freedom of shoulder movement.  I did two open water swims in LaJolla with it this week.  The water was mid fifties, I felt perfectly warm, and didn't even notice the suit on my shoulders.  I think there is a review of the suit on BT somewhere.  You may want to check them out.
2010-03-19 2:02 PM
in reply to: #2732699

User image

Colorado Springs

dieathlon - 2010-03-17 9:45 PM So, this is my first IM, and I've noticed that my running is beginning to suffer. Is this normal during training? I've been running waaaay slower than I usually do. If I slow down any more, it will be called "Walking". I think my body's just tired. Am I alone in this?

I think that is normal for this point in training.  Work just as hard on your recovery as you do your training and you will be fine.  The taper will bring everything back together for us.

2010-03-20 3:08 PM
in reply to: #2734025

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
Rollin' Thunder - 2010-03-18 12:56 PM
sportyj - 2010-03-16 10:44 PM

So we talking BIG group weekend of 26-27?  SWEET! 
So are we planning on meeting around 10:00 a.m. on the 27th? sportyj? Kido? Mike

I know the group I am going with is starting MUCH earlier than that.  But they plan on running a full run loop after two bike loops on the 27th and I do not plan on running until Sunday.  AND I HATE starting early so I am tempted to go with you guys.  I am not sure yet though...stay tuned.  Either way we should get together for some chow and compare notes!
2010-03-21 10:22 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-03-21 7:10 PM

Champion
Northridge, California
New experience for me today at LA Marathon:  The med tent!  (Actually the high-tech LA County med trailer.)  Passed out into a gutter about 90 minutes after I finished...no biggie...stomach had gotten queasy about twenty minutes earlier, light-headed...probably not absorbing post-race hydration.  Kudos to my wife (who'd just finished her first sub-5, no less) for catching my head on the way down (right after I'd said, "I'm going to pass out").

On the plus side, no injuries (from the marathon or the blackout and fall), so should be back in the pool for a short workout on Tuesday (probably) and back on the trainer by the end of the week.
2010-03-22 1:05 AM
in reply to: #2739011

Sensei
Sin City
I had my weeks messed up, and this week is a recovery week, so I don't need to get a long bike in.  HOWEVER, doing one can't hurt since I missed one the week I was sick.  I will still have to think about driving up.  One of the following two weekends for sure, though.

I fear that I may not be running enough.    I have been following the advanced BT IM plan and doing the time (I only missed one long run this season - and one long bike).  But, based on MY speed and the routes I pick, I'm only getting long runs once a week that are about 12 miles long.  Technically, the one I did today, is the longest one of the entire plan.

I looked back and saw that my longest for my first IM was 17 miles.  Granted, with the BT intermediate plan, I was only doing a long run once every other week.  SO, I am running shorter long runs, but twice as often...  Not sure if this will work.  I may just try to get a 15 miler in once in the next couple of weeks just to do it...  I should also do it on a flatter course, just to get a feel for my speed (same goes with the bike as well.  I have been doing LOTS of serious climbing, and my average pace is pathetic).

Edited by Kido 2010-03-22 1:23 AM
2010-03-22 1:08 AM
in reply to: #2736196

Sensei
Sin City

dieathlon - 2010-03-17 9:45 PM So, this is my first IM, and I've noticed that my running is beginning to suffer. Is this normal during training? I've been running waaaay slower than I usually do. If I slow down any more, it will be called "Walking". I think my body's just tired. Am I alone in this?

I sort of notice it too.  Probably because I'm trying to crank out a long run the one or two days after a long hard ride...  My legs just aren't there anymore.  My pace is pathetic right now.

2010-03-22 9:45 AM

Veteran
Kingwood, TX
Okay - for Spring Break we went to Moab, Utah with the kids and I did a lot of riding there.  Rode the Arches park a couple of days, one day did about 60 miles in the Arches and averaged under 14 mph.  My question for anyone that has riden the Arches and also riden the St. George course is: am I in for an extra long day in St. George?  Are the climbs in St. George similar to the climbs in the Arches?  On the decents in the park I was riding the break to keep it under 25 so I am sure that did not help my average.  Loved the ride, but felt pretty slow on those climbs, especially the second 4 mile climb.  Thanks to anyone who can provide some perspective.  I have a feeling the St. George course is more like the dead horse ride (maybe)...
2010-03-22 6:52 PM

Veteran
Southern California

I have just been offer a pair of Flashpoint FP60 wheels to use for the race. I have never ran a set of deep wheels and was wondering what people that have think of them for IMSG, especially since it may be windy. These are lighter than my current wheels  by a small amount and I might go with just the rear if the winds are going to be bad.

Three weeks in a row with long rides over 100 miles, yesterday being 122 miles of pure fun. Long run so far has been 16 miles and 17 planned for tomorrow as long I get my stomach issues contained. The Big Day I did last week was a real eye opener and confidence builder. Recovery from it was good, but I had lingering fatigue throughout the week and cut back most of my workouts and being in Vegas didn't help. Got a good amount of 12oz curls in though. A few more weeks and taper, cant wait to stop running. I still have too many moving parts.

As for the other questions earlier on:

- Driving into St. George Wednesday.
- Staying a Best Western Coral Hills
- First IM. I have done 1 HIM and 1 Oly, thats it.
- My training further behind than I would like, but I am on pace to at least finish
- Running a 50-34 / 12-17 gearing
- Bought a longsleeve wetsuit which arrived today to use.
- I am racing with my father, uncle and cousin. It will be big fun for the family!

2010-03-22 11:17 PM

Champion
Northridge, California
Any opinions on the Comfort Inn in St. George?  My dad (73 y/o and not in outstanding health) has made a fairly last minute decision to come out from the Memphis area to the race.  My stepmom (a retired travel agent) found a room for him at the Comfort Inn but asked my wife if it was "nice."  My dad's not the pickiest guy in the world (done many years of wilderness camping and adventure tourism), but if the place is shabby at all, my stepmom certainly could look around further afield since we'll have the car and my wife could pick my dad up on race day if need be.  Feedback, anyone?
2010-03-22 11:49 PM

Regular
Redlands, CA
The Comfort Inn is fairly new and very nice.  Not shabby at all.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George - Utah : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 43