General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 171

2010-09-16 8:28 PM
in reply to: #3103187

User image

Veteran
United States Military Academy
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
elliot85 - 2010-09-16 5:15 PM I did IMAZ in 2009 and I'm doing it again this year.  I like the flat stuff, but I feel my strengths are on the hills Plus, CDA is closer to home (I grew up in Seattle) so it gives me a good excuse to vacation.  I did Lake Stevens 70.3 a month ago and the scenery is so much better in the NW compared to the desert over here!

I am doing IMAZ this year as well.  This will be my first one, so a little nervous.  I am feeling more confident as my training progresses.  I got off to a late start this year, but should be able to put up some decent numbers for IMAZ.  

This forum is incredibly active!!!!  It is destroying the IMAZ thread!!!

Chris 

2010-09-16 9:50 PM
in reply to: #3103401

User image

Expert
cordova78 - 2010-09-16 6:28 PM
elliot85 - 2010-09-16 5:15 PM I did IMAZ in 2009 and I'm doing it again this year.  I like the flat stuff, but I feel my strengths are on the hills Plus, CDA is closer to home (I grew up in Seattle) so it gives me a good excuse to vacation.  I did Lake Stevens 70.3 a month ago and the scenery is so much better in the NW compared to the desert over here!

I am doing IMAZ this year as well.  This will be my first one, so a little nervous.  I am feeling more confident as my training progresses.  I got off to a late start this year, but should be able to put up some decent numbers for IMAZ.  

This forum is incredibly active!!!!  It is destroying the IMAZ thread!!!

Chris 

I agree! This is one of the most active threads I've ever seen!

Chris, don't hesitate to PM/ask me questions about the Arizona course. I seriously know this course inside and out.  I live about two minutes away from transition (Tempe Town Lake beach park) and most of my training is along this course (or at least starts out on the course).  It's a great race to do as your first; very spectator friendly and flat. You'll have a blast. 
2010-09-16 9:53 PM
in reply to: #3103292

User image

Expert
spudone - 2010-09-16 5:14 PM Lake Stevens is almost nonstop adrenaline on the bike.  CdA is a bit more peaceful... you can almost get into a meditative zone in some parts... and then the spectators wake you up (they are awesome!)..  Take the hilliness of Lake Stevens and insert some long flat stretches and you basically have the CdA course.

Hmmm.. sounds fun! I have a Computrainer so I think I'm going to buy the real course video of this course.  I don't think I'll make it out there before the race so this will have to do  How is the run? Is it similar to Lake Stevens as well (little rollers throughout)?
2010-09-16 10:23 PM
in reply to: #3103525

Master
, California
elliot85 - 2010-09-16 7:53 PM
Hmmm.. sounds fun! I have a Computrainer so I think I'm going to buy the real course video of this course.  I don't think I'll make it out there before the race so this will have to do  How is the run? Is it similar to Lake Stevens as well (little rollers throughout)?

CdA run is mostly flat-ish.  It follows the top of Lake Coeur d'Alene, same as the first part of the bike course.  There's one hill that's maybe 300 yards(?) at the turnaround point (you hit it twice -- the run course is 2 laps).  The one part that bothered my knees a bit is out on Centennial Trail, the pavement is somewhat slanted to the side.  At some of the aid stations the volunteers had "themes" (ex: bagpipes playing at one) so that was kinda fun.

You ride over the hill on the bike course, so you know what to expect.  It just feels a lot worse on the run
2010-09-17 5:36 PM
in reply to: #3102056

User image

Master
JoshKaptur - 2010-09-16 11:02 AM I see lots of folks with 20-50 pound weight loss goals.  This emphasizees my previous post even more... you likely are not going to be successful losing big chunks of weight when you are also trying to adequately fuel "in season" ironman training.  That means NOW is the time to start losing the weight.

I think people are right to point out that if we are struggling with weight we likely have food problems.  If we're eating too much it will be almost impossible to train enough to cancel out that damage.  You're reading the words of a guy who toed the line of his first marathon the heaviest I had ever been... because I wrongly thought that I could eat whatever I wanted since I was running 40+ miles per week.

I have to chime in here with a funny story totally relating to this. I'm happy with my current weight -- it fluctuates a bit but I don't stress about it. I do weigh myself daily and make changes if it starts to creep up.

When training for CDA 2010, one morning my husband remarked, "You know, for all of the training you do, it's not like you're rail thin!"

OK -- that sounds very a-holish (he does not think I'm fat, I do not think I'm fat, but he will tell me if jeans aren't flattering, haha!). Anyway, the point he was making, I learned going farther into the conversation, was how incredibly hard it is to lose weight through exercise alone. I'm a pretty healthy eater by nature, but I do allow myself a nightly dessert. It's one of the reasons I like to train!

I think IM training is a very fine balance if you want to lose weight. I was having a hard time on some of my workouts because I wasn't taking in enough calories after long workouts the day before. It was eye-opening to me how important the fueling and re-fueling was -- eating the RIGHT foods, and ENOUGH foods as well.
2010-09-17 10:07 PM
in reply to: #3102877

Champion
No excuses!
elliot85 - 2010-09-16 4:42 PM Hi all, I just joined this thread... looking forward to joining your discussions and getting to know you. I'm Elliot from AZ...IMCDA will be my 3rd IM.

Welcome Elliot, what other IM's have you done?         NM, figured it out Undecided

Edited by Shermbelle 2010-09-17 10:15 PM

2010-09-18 2:38 AM
in reply to: #3006331

User image

Veteran
Clarksvile

I’m in for the goal race weight challenge / motivator or whatever we are calling it. 

Current weight 186

Race weight 170.

Good luck to everyone on getting to their goal weight. 

Edited by tribean 2010-09-18 2:41 AM
2010-09-18 11:51 AM
in reply to: #3105661

User image

Regular
Madison, AL
I have crazy flunctuations in weight.
A month ago I was getting close to 200 lbs in the runup to IMFL.  Thought I would be 195 by then.  Sprained ankle, wrecked my bike, and now have elbow bursitis so my volume has really dropped.  So, now I'm back up to almost 208.  Ugh.  SOOO easy to outeat a 3 hour run.

I would like to be as close to 190 by CdA as possible, but I'm not going to sweat it if I'm not.
2010-09-18 7:51 PM

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
For anyone interested in using it , I've set up a google spreadsheet here:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Aneb-6HRbOtbdDFGMm9PYi1rdzl...

for folks in the group to enter their weight loss goals and track progress between now and the race. Just send me a message if you'd like to use it and I'll send login info.

I managed to get my weight loss done this season, losing 10lbs a month for six months from February to August and putting my BMI right in the middle of the normal range. The big challenge now is to actually keep it off, as I've lost weight on fad diets two times previously but gained most/all back within a year. So having CDA out next spring better keep me motivated this time.

The number one weight loss thing I learned this year is that counting calories really works, both what you consume and what you burn through day-to-day life plus training. I used an iPhone program to keep track of everything, which makes it so much easier than doing this would have been a couple of years ago. For the calories burned side, I used standard metabolic rate formulas for day-to-day life and software for my heart rate monitor to calculate calories burned during training, then added those together to get my daily total.

The engineer in me was surprised when I plotted all this out and saw that my actual weight loss matched my predicted weight loss based on the standard formula of 3500 calories per lb of fat, within one pound for the entire six months. I now get asked to go out to lunch and describe the mathematics of weight loss to all my engineer colleagues. There are lots of psychological/emotional sides of weight management, but it really does all come down to the numbers in the end and the smartphone programs out there are a great tool.

Reactions to weight loss are funny. In my case, many of my friends pass on stories of coworkers expressing concern about me either being horribly sick or under way too much stress since I've lost so much weight. The project manager from NASA for our Jupiter probe even came into my office very concerned, knowing that I've got just about the most stressful part of the project to manage. I responded that yeah, it's so stressful it drove me to triathlon to maintain my sanity outside the office and is one of the better things that's happened to me.

Anyway, I'm happy to help anyone out with left-brain weight loss techniques if you want more details.

2010-09-18 9:52 PM
in reply to: #3106212

User image

Regular
Madison, AL
In my case, many of my friends pass on stories of coworkers expressing concern about me either being horribly sick or under way too much stress since I've lost so much weight.

You must be close to race weight... Heard this somewhere and it's kinda stuck with me.

When people you haven't seen in a while come up and ask how you've managed to lose so much weight, you know you're within 10 lbs.
When these people approach your friends and ask you if you've been sick or are on drugs, you know you're within 5 lbs.
When these people stage an intervention for you... you're there.
2010-09-19 9:40 PM

Champion
No excuses!
40 weeks from today....just sayin

2010-09-20 12:02 AM
in reply to: #3107226

User image

Veteran
WA
Shermbelle - 2010-09-19 6:40 PM

40 weeks from today....just sayin

or 10 weeks till start of training. Yikes!
2010-09-20 12:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
10 weeks until official training, but less than a month to ski season. Gotta try to get enough mountain biking in before things get too busy.As far as weight goes, I'm at 168 and single digit body fat. Last saw my parents a couple weeks ago and my mom expressed concern about my weight; the gf is saying I'm too thin, and creepily obsessed with tracking my caloric and exercise levels. I must be getting close.

Edited by beanmj 2010-09-20 12:23 AM
2010-09-20 1:03 AM
in reply to: #3100579

User image

Veteran
WA
stampinann - 2010-09-15 11:27 AM

Great stuff folks!  Love keeping up with all these questions/answers/discussions.

Pre Riding the course question....

I am planning on doing one loop of the course next week as I have vacation to use up.

I know some roads in my area are busy during the week but not on weekends and visa versa.

Recommendations on riding the course?  Is weekday or weekend better.

Are the ride instructions on the website correct.

If anyone wants to join me...I'd love company....I will be avg less than 16mph...

Ann

I would definately stay off of Gov't Way and Northwest Blvd. no matter when you go. Most of the other roads are pretty quiet for the most part. Here is a link to a modified ride starting at the library which keeps you off of the more busy roads. Have fun. Wish I could join.
http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/id/coeur-d%26%23039%3ba...
2010-09-20 3:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Clarksvile

I can’t wait to start my IM training and can’t wait to get done with my Marathon in October.  Can’t figure out why I’m more motivated to run a Marathon after 112 miles vs just running a marathon.  Go figure.

2010-09-20 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee

Current Weight:  180

Goal Weight: 165

Stretch Weight: 160 (always good to have a stretch Goal)

Also started using the nutrition tracker right here on good 'ol Beginner Triathlete.  Will be interesting to see how much I eat.  3500 calories for a pound of weight loss, yikes!!  Just tracking it makes you thik twice before you go in for that handful of Lays chips... and that is really all I need, a pause to make me think.  Heck, the nutrition log is a little cumbersone, that alone is enough to make me think twice... more work to add the handful of chips then the chips are worth.  I may as well use lazy to my advantage when I can... just using all the tools in the toolbelt ;-)

2010-09-20 10:25 AM
in reply to: #3107314

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
beanmj - 2010-09-19 10:22 PM 10 weeks until official training, but less than a month to ski season. Gotta try to get enough mountain biking in before things get too busy.As far as weight goes, I'm at 168 and single digit body fat. Last saw my parents a couple weeks ago and my mom expressed concern about my weight; the gf is saying I'm too thin, and creepily obsessed with tracking my caloric and exercise levels. I must be getting close.

If you will be skiing in 1 month, I will not be pleased!!  I have been jones'ing to go skiing since about June (Last day I went was 5/30). 

That will be the interesting thing, is balancing the skiing with the long workouts.

Who here is interested in participating in Jorge's winter cycling program?  I NEED to actually ride my trainer this winter, and I find that competing with others / holding each other accountable helps a great deal. 
2010-09-20 11:22 AM
in reply to: #3107760

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
ultrahip_00 - 2010-09-20 11:25 AM
beanmj - 2010-09-19 10:22 PM 10 weeks until official training, but less than a month to ski season. Gotta try to get enough mountain biking in before things get too busy.As far as weight goes, I'm at 168 and single digit body fat. Last saw my parents a couple weeks ago and my mom expressed concern about my weight; the gf is saying I'm too thin, and creepily obsessed with tracking my caloric and exercise levels. I must be getting close.

If you will be skiing in 1 month, I will not be pleased!!  I have been jones'ing to go skiing since about June (Last day I went was 5/30). 

That will be the interesting thing, is balancing the skiing with the long workouts.

Who here is interested in participating in Jorge's winter cycling program?  I NEED to actually ride my trainer this winter, and I find that competing with others / holding each other accountable helps a great deal. 

I've done Jorge's plan in the past and will vouch for it.  I plan to use parts of it this winter as well.
2010-09-20 11:37 AM

User image

Regular
Doylestown, PA
Still looking for a place to stay in CDA.  Has anyone heard anything about Shilo Inn Suites?  Close and cheap.  I mean my expectations are low based on the pictures, but wondering if anyone has personal experience.

Sadly most VRBO spots have been taken. Cheers 
2010-09-20 11:51 AM
in reply to: #3107953

Master
, California
Regarding places to stay - the official IMCdA website puts this out, which they say is a "complete list" of hotels, but it's far from complete:

http://www.ironmancda.com/lodging.php

... so now you know which places will be booked Tongue out  Now go to Google Maps for the area or yellow pages or whatever and you can find several hotels that aren't listed in the IMCdA guide.

If you still can't find a room nearby, you can check Post Falls, ID which is just a couple miles out.  And as a last resort you could stay in Spokane, WA which is a 30-40 min drive.  But I'd be surprised if you had to go that far.  I registered very late (Jan?) for the 2010 race via a Foundation slot and was still able to find a room in CdA.
2010-09-20 12:37 PM

User image

Regular
Doylestown, PA
Man this town loves to strong arm IMers.  5-7 night minimums all over the place. Thanks for this list.

2010-09-20 12:40 PM
in reply to: #3108106

User image

Elite
SE
Im still without lodging partly as a function of a late start and partly due to my wife finally deciding not to bring the kids. Probably end up being me and a friend to sherpa. So ill probably be looking later in the year when the prices hopefully will drop some or there will be room to haggle. Im not too panicky yet.
2010-09-20 1:31 PM
in reply to: #3108117

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

phatknot - 2010-09-20 1:40 PM Im still without lodging partly as a function of a late start and partly due to my wife finally deciding not to bring the kids. Probably end up being me and a friend to sherpa. So ill probably be looking later in the year when the prices hopefully will drop some or there will be room to haggle. Im not too panicky yet.

Don't worry.  I've done the race twice before and didn't get lodging until 6 months out each time.  I have the same plan for 2011.  I will book just after the holidays.  There are always condo's available at Riverstone. 

2010-09-20 1:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee

Tells us more about these Condo's at Riverstone?  I booked Holiday Inn Express in Hayden because I can Cancel up until the day I get there.  Now I have a safety valve, but there is no way in heII I am going to stay at the Holiday Inn Express if I can help it.

2010-09-20 3:39 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

Search for rent by owner.  Typically you will find one or two places available at Riverstone.  Also places open up as people drop out for one reason or another.  However, it's a bit early for people to backing out of the race just yet. 

I guess the easy answer is to book early, but I've had good luck landing places on the race course both years. 

New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 171