BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-06-07 10:10 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)
I have a mana tapir week. I have no idea what I'm going to do. I might have to clean the house or something. Nah, can't get that carried away!

2015-06-07 11:22 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Jet Black
Originally posted by popsracer

Hey Sean, before your HIM did you follow along with the plan and do the three hour ride, 45 minute swim, and 90 minute run over the weekend before your race?  Seems like a pretty big effort for 6-7 days out from the event.

Did you modify your taper at all per the plan?  Whatever you did seemd to work quite well.  Anything you would have done differently from the plan that last week?

Thanks, I'm just entering the crazy zone. 

No I did not, and we actually had a pretty good conversation here in the thread about the plan being a little too aggressive at the end. I ended up doing a straight 1000 yard open water swim followed by 1.5 hr on the bike on Saturday. Then Sunday I ran 60 min (~6.3 mi), with 3x8' @ HIM pace. I think that run was actually a little too much, I was sore for a couple of days after it. In general the plan didn't have nearly enough running the last 1-1.5 months IMO, but at this point it's best to just not overdo it.

I ended up changing the plan a bit.  A 10 mile run on Saturday at slightly faster than race pace.  Today did a 2100 yard swim about race pace and then an hour hard on the bike.  I put new tires and the disc on, used my good aero helmet, race kit.  But the ride felt horrible.  I was pushing hard but speed just was not there.  I was riding a very familiar route and was never this slow.  I really started doubting myself.  Got home a little dejected and then realized my brake pads were applying constant pressure on the rim.  Doh!!!  Glad I caught this now.  

So the hay is definitely in the barn now.  Nothing left to do but shave my legs.

2015-06-08 7:37 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by fortissimo
Originally posted by msteiner

I had a good race.  My team was the fastest of all the relays.  They extended the bike for 2.5 miles due to a detour from construction.

My pace was only 23.1 at 215W, which is pretty disappointing when I was a mile per hour faster last year on a similar course (didn't have power for that one).  I had a rough May as far as training goes with the honeymoon and my crash, so I expected some edge to be lost, but that was a rough ride for me. 

I'll get back into the groove.

You had a great race! You've done a lot this last month or so but you still went in did the best you could. You'll be in that groove and you'll be killing it!

Was going to say, a lot of things have been going on for you!

2015-06-08 7:52 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

hahahaha!  I need to catch up but first I need to share this:

"He glanced over at the scheduling board where groups signed out clusters of terminals for virtual meetings.  One of the bigger groups on campus was the cycling club, a habit more loathsome than jerking off in Adam's opinion. These people actually simmed bike riding.  They spent their time on foreign worlds, riding bikes, their brains flooded with endorphins from simulated exhaustion.  Adam could always sense when he was interfacing right after a cyclist. The seat would remain warm for hours, the stench of sleep-sweat in the air. It was disgusting." (from The Plagiarist by Hugh Howey)

2015-06-08 7:54 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I had a good race.  My team was the fastest of all the relays.  They extended the bike for 2.5 miles due to a detour from construction.

My pace was only 23.1 at 215W, which is pretty disappointing when I was a mile per hour faster last year on a similar course (didn't have power for that one).  I had a rough May as far as training goes with the honeymoon and my crash, so I expected some edge to be lost, but that was a rough ride for me. 

blah blah blah My team game in first place but I am so disappointed. 

Congratulations on your podium finish!  I hope that you had a great time!

2015-06-08 7:56 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Hey Sean, before your HIM did you follow along with the plan and do the three hour ride, 45 minute swim, and 90 minute run over the weekend before your race?  Seems like a pretty big effort for 6-7 days out from the event.

Did you modify your taper at all per the plan?  Whatever you did seemd to work quite well.  Anything you would have done differently from the plan that last week?

No I did not, and we actually had a pretty good conversation here in the thread about the plan being a little too aggressive at the end. I ended up doing a straight 1000 yard open water swim followed by 1.5 hr on the bike on Saturday. Then Sunday I ran 60 min (~6.3 mi), with 3x8' @ HIM pace. I think that run was actually a little too much, I was sore for a couple of days after it. In general the plan didn't have nearly enough running the last 1-1.5 months IMO, but at this point it's best to just not overdo it.

I ended up changing the plan a bit.  A 10 mile run on Saturday at slightly faster than race pace.  Today did a 2100 yard swim about race pace and then an hour hard on the bike.  I put new tires and the disc on, used my good aero helmet, race kit.  But the ride felt horrible.  I was pushing hard but speed just was not there.  I was riding a very familiar route and was never this slow.  I really started doubting myself.  Got home a little dejected and then realized my brake pads were applying constant pressure on the rim.  Doh!!!  Glad I caught this now.  

So the hay is definitely in the barn now.  Nothing left to do but shave my legs.

Whew!  So glad that you put the race wheels on for a test ride sooner rather than later!

2015-06-08 8:32 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by jmkizer

I know.  I'm my toughest critic, and I have a tendency of being too hard on myself.  In some ways its good and others not so much.

2015-06-08 8:34 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I know.  I'm my toughest critic, and I have a tendency of being too hard on myself.  In some ways its good and others not so much.

As others said, you had a busy May.

Also, the weather this year was surely not exactly the same as last year.  That can definitely affect pace.  How were others times compared to last year?

(and don't make us break out the world's smallest violin for you!)

2015-06-08 8:56 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

sorry, you had a rough for you ride, but congratulations on having a good race and getting a team win!!

2015-06-08 8:58 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Whew!  So glad that you put the race wheels on for a test ride sooner rather than later!

ugh, I've done that before- it is not fun!!  Like Janyne said, glad you caught it before the race!

2015-06-08 9:01 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Katy, Texas

Glad you caught that! Now you're going to feel super fast on race day so maybe a good thing to have had happen! Hope you have a stress free taper week!

2015-06-08 9:02 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

Hahahaahaa!!!

Congrats Matt!
2015-06-08 9:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Also, the weather this year was surely not exactly the same as last year.  That can definitely affect pace.  How were others times compared to last year?

The bike for others is kind of iffy.  They had an "elite wave" where you could start with a group before everyone else, and then the relays started after.  Our swimmer was so good that he caught up to the elite wave and came out in front of a lot of them.  Because of that I got to see a lot of the front.  Unfortunately when you mix a group of people with similar speeds together on a fast bike course drafting has a high probability of occurring.  I had two pacelines of about 5 bikes each pass me during the ride, so I'm taking most of faster averages with a grain of salt. 

One of the guys I know pretty well got 2nd overall with a partial thanks to said drafting.  Drafting has been an with this race for a while, and having that elite wave did not help things.

So even thought I didn't get the bike average I wanted.  I can at least say I rode it honest.

2015-06-08 10:47 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Congrats on your team win!! Still sounds pretty fast to me!!

Well, my race sucked. I guess it wasn't THAT bad - I mean I finished.......
1. sun in my eyes as soon as I made the first swim turn - lost about 10 minutes
2. bike was slower than I would have liked (plus 2 pee stops cost me 10 minutes)
3. run was WAY worse than the bike as far as hills - OMG! Ran a 2:35 - on a flat course I would have expected 2:20 so I blame the hills.

if I had those 35 minutes shaved off my total time that would have made me happier. But oh well - now we look forward! To finish is to win.

and I can't get these freaking tattoos off! it was cute at first but they're sticky so after sleeping 2 nights on them they're full of lint and cat hair. NOT FUNNY ANYMORE.

2015-06-08 10:51 AM

Master
Northern IL

The bike for others is kind of iffy.  They had an "elite wave" where you could start with a group before everyone else, and then the relays started after.  Our swimmer was so good that he caught up to the elite wave and came out in front of a lot of them.  Because of that I got to see a lot of the front.  Unfortunately when you mix a group of people with similar speeds together on a fast bike course drafting has a high probability of occurring.  I had two pacelines of about 5 bikes each pass me during the ride, so I'm taking most of faster averages with a grain of salt. 

One of the guys I know pretty well got 2nd overall with a partial thanks to said drafting.  Drafting has been an with this race for a while, and having that elite wave did not help things.

So even thought I didn't get the bike average I wanted.  I can at least say I rode it honest.

How crowded was in? Been in a few races around here with similar type elite waves and haven't had any issues like that. I haven't had the fastest swim, but have biked fast up through those who did so did get to see a number of other people on the course. Overall race size varied from 200 to 450 or so. The first wave was no more than 50 people.

And definitely understand the disappointment. We've often brought up not using placement when it doesn't look good as it may have been a strong crowd. For me as well it also goes the other way in that the crowd could have been fairly weak (relays often can be in ones I've seen). The win can help to feel a little better, but no need to be completely elated with it if you're not.

2015-06-08 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

More important that time or finishing place, at least in my world.

Congrats

Matt

2015-06-08 10:56 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk  Well, my race sucked. I guess it wasn't THAT bad - I mean I finished....... 1. sun in my eyes as soon as I made the first swim turn - lost about 10 minutes 2. bike was slower than I would have liked (plus 2 pee stops cost me 10 minutes) 3. run was WAY worse than the bike as far as hills - OMG! Ran a 2:35 - on a flat course I would have expected 2:20 so I blame the hills. if I had those 35 minutes shaved off my total time that would have made me happier. But oh well - now we look forward! To finish is to win. and I can't get these freaking tattoos off! it was cute at first but they're sticky so after sleeping 2 nights on them they're full of lint and cat hair. NOT FUNNY ANYMORE.

Think the first happens to everybody, and the difficulty of that run course is really overlooked quite often! This is one course where finishing is often winning for a lot of people.

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Congrats on your team win!! Still sounds pretty fast to me!! Well, my race sucked. I guess it wasn't THAT bad - I mean I finished....... 1. sun in my eyes as soon as I made the first swim turn - lost about 10 minutes 2. bike was slower than I would have liked (plus 2 pee stops cost me 10 minutes) 3. run was WAY worse than the bike as far as hills - OMG! Ran a 2:35 - on a flat course I would have expected 2:20 so I blame the hills. if I had those 35 minutes shaved off my total time that would have made me happier. But oh well - now we look forward! To finish is to win. and I can't get these freaking tattoos off! it was cute at first but they're sticky so after sleeping 2 nights on them they're full of lint and cat hair. NOT FUNNY ANYMORE.

Have you tried rubbing them with baby oil? I used an oily lotion for mine. That worked pretty good.

in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Congrats on your team win!! Still sounds pretty fast to me!! Well, my race sucked. I guess it wasn't THAT bad - I mean I finished....... 1. sun in my eyes as soon as I made the first swim turn - lost about 10 minutes 2. bike was slower than I would have liked (plus 2 pee stops cost me 10 minutes) 3. run was WAY worse than the bike as far as hills - OMG! Ran a 2:35 - on a flat course I would have expected 2:20 so I blame the hills. if I had those 35 minutes shaved off my total time that would have made me happier. But oh well - now we look forward! To finish is to win. and I can't get these freaking tattoos off! it was cute at first but they're sticky so after sleeping 2 nights on them they're full of lint and cat hair. NOT FUNNY ANYMORE.

Ummm... actually kind of makes is WAAAAY more funny. 

Congrats on taking down one TOUGH race!

Matt

ETA - as what my kids call "The hairy human primate," I've had... let's say issues with race tats in the past.  Agreed that baby oil is a good start - especially if you rub in a circle to kind of pill the sticky part up and pluck it off.  Hoping you're not quite as furry as I, though... 

Edited by mcmanusclan5 2015-06-08 10:59 AM
2015-06-08 11:16 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Denver, CO

Good job, MR Matt and Randee!!  Maybe you didn't get the results you wanted but you both definitely deserve to feel proud of your results.

2015-06-08 12:07 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Congratulations on tackling a really tough course! And you're right, finishing is winning.  The way I've gotten those tats off is to scrub really, really hard and remove a few layers of skin

2015-06-08 12:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Congrats, racers! 

Matt - totally better to finish honest than be a drafter.  No doubt you will get back in your groove now that your life is getting back to normal.

Randee - great job on a not easy course, as you said, especially the run.  Oh, and regarding the tattoos, I seem to recall seeing something about using packing tape.  Put a piece of packing tape over the tat and it will pull most of it off.  Repeat with more tape until it's done, that is, unless you like the lint and cat hair look.

Edited by melbo55 2015-06-08 12:18 PM
2015-06-08 12:18 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I've always heard Quassy and "tough course" in the same sentence.  After this weekend, MT will look easy!

2015-06-08 12:20 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Speaking of Quassy, my former Masters coach, Eliot, totally ROCKED Quassy this weekend, finishing 4th overall (not including elites).  We're so incredibly proud of him!

2015-06-08 12:28 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Well, my race sucked. I guess it wasn't THAT bad - I mean I finished.......
1. sun in my eyes as soon as I made the first swim turn - lost about 10 minutes
2. bike was slower than I would have liked (plus 2 pee stops cost me 10 minutes)
3. run was WAY worse than the bike as far as hills - OMG! Ran a 2:35 - on a flat course I would have expected 2:20 so I blame the hills.

if I had those 35 minutes shaved off my total time that would have made me happier. But oh well - now we look forward! To finish is to win.

and I can't get these freaking tattoos off! it was cute at first but they're sticky so after sleeping 2 nights on them they're full of lint and cat hair. NOT FUNNY ANYMORE.

Congrats on finishing a very tough race!! Don't let preconceived notions determine how good you did. You rocked it!

And on the tatoos, if it doesn't come off easy, just leave it alone. It will come off with time. No use risking a scar (guilty).
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 68402 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29146 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12300 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 38644 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67871 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.