BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 190

2013-05-21 8:10 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia - OPEN
So I went for a bike ride with Tina after work. She's just getting back into riding but when she said let's go for a short ride I thought maybe 30 mins or so but we went 20 mins and 4 miles. lol It's all good, I just want to support her riding in whatever method she wants and she has a physical job. Question is, is there a way to make it more challenging for me while still staying with her. I thought of mountain bike but I really hate putting my nice tires on pavement. I could of course ride a bigger gear but I do not want to get into the habit of mashing my gears.

2013-05-21 9:45 PM
in reply to: bzgl40

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Here is my 5000 race report. (Still a little bitter about that swim).

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2013-05-21 9:48 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Originally posted by bzgl40

So I went for a bike ride with Tina after work. She's just getting back into riding but when she said let's go for a short ride I thought maybe 30 mins or so but we went 20 mins and 4 miles. lol It's all good, I just want to support her riding in whatever method she wants and she has a physical job. Question is, is there a way to make it more challenging for me while still staying with her. I thought of mountain bike but I really hate putting my nice tires on pavement. I could of course ride a bigger gear but I do not want to get into the habit of mashing my gears.

That sounds like the bike rides my husband likes to do. lol I take the hybrid and pull my six year old on his tag a long bike. It does give me a bit of a workout, but it's not very significant. I'd also like to know what more I could do.
2013-05-21 9:50 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Originally posted by bzgl40 So I went for a bike ride with Tina after work. She's just getting back into riding but when she said let's go for a short ride I thought maybe 30 mins or so but we went 20 mins and 4 miles. lol It's all good, I just want to support her riding in whatever method she wants and she has a physical job. Question is, is there a way to make it more challenging for me while still staying with her. I thought of mountain bike but I really hate putting my nice tires on pavement. I could of course ride a bigger gear but I do not want to get into the habit of mashing my gears.

I'd say that as long as you are still finding the time for your real training, that you just let this be quality time with your SO. Maybe if you start worrying about pace or whether you are getting a good workout...it might take away some of the fun and make it less enjoyable for Tina. Just my 2 cents...of course I started out with the hubby like that, the next thing I know he is faster than me...I created a monster LOL.

2013-05-21 9:57 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Originally posted by marcag RPE can replace power or HR. if it's getting harder, time to shift. Cadence, well, you know if you are slowing down or not. I guess bottom line you are trying to stay smooth, not really changing anything. Speed wll change however :-) I agree it becomes natural including using a combination of front/back in one shift

Can you explain the advantage to this? I ended up doing it once this weekend on accident, and thought I'd really messed up. But it felt okay.

2013-05-22 4:17 AM
in reply to: KansasMom

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by KansasMom

Originally posted by marcag RPE can replace power or HR. if it's getting harder, time to shift. Cadence, well, you know if you are slowing down or not. I guess bottom line you are trying to stay smooth, not really changing anything. Speed wll change however :-) I agree it becomes natural including using a combination of front/back in one shift

Can you explain the advantage to this? I ended up doing it once this weekend on accident, and thought I'd really messed up. But it felt okay.

Imagine you are climbing, it's getting harder, you are in the bigger cog in font, smaller in back. It get's harder, shift, harder, shift....you run out of gears in back. So you switch to the small in front. It now becomes too easy. you are spinning, so you need to shift to a smaller cog in back. That isn't the way I shift.. That switch to small in front, back to a smaller in back, I do very close together, but it's a natural habit

Let say I am starting in the big ring, small in back. Shift to 2nd smallest back, shift to 3rd smallest in back.....up to 7th. If I now shift into small in front, the gearing may be too easy, and I will probably spin for a few seconds. So I shift to the small in front and almost immediately shift to a smaller in back, within a fraction of a second.

not sure it's the right technique but it makes for a much smoother increase. Otherwise I spin when shifting to the small in front.

Does that make any sense ?

DI2 makes it super smooth ;-)

2013-05-22 7:53 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
Originally posted by marcag
DI2 makes it super smooth ;-)

I'd love to get me some of that. Probably with a new bike, but I'm a long ways away from that.

Cut my run short due to wheezing. I love allergy season. Yesterday I was working on my front porch and was watching the pollen blowing off the trees. Everything in my house is covered in pollen. Soon as I clean it up it is back.
2013-05-22 8:57 AM
in reply to: tri808

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by tri808 Chris, I'm sure you could get by with your 910 if you really wanted to. Maybe get bike mount (not the quick release, but the one that goes over your handle bars) for training days, and simply use it off your wrist for racing. I tend to stare at my power numbers more during hard interval days...during races, I race more off of RPE and just make sure power is in check by glancing at the numbers a few times (also looking up the road to avoid all the people I'm passing ). That said, you will never pry my Edge 500 out of my hands. If both my 500 and 910 broke, I'd replace the 500 and go with a lower level running watch to replace the 910. I don't use the swim features as much as I thought I would, and while the race day multi sport is nice, it's not make or break for me since I really don't race tris neary as much as I bike race. An Edge 500 makes you look like a bike racer. Using a 910 during a bike race makes you look like a triathlete tool...LOL! The 800 for $229 is a great deal, but I still prefer the smaller size of the 500. I don't even like the size of the new 510. The touch screen ability to change fields on the fly is cool though.

Jason, I think you mentioned that you have your computer mounted between your aero bars on your bike, right?  Any chance you have a picture of that?  I just recently zip tied a cage to my aero bars, where my computer used to be mounted, so at the moment, I've been riding with it on my wrist, which is a pain as it's hard to see.

I've seriously contemplated (and initially wanted) to get a bike-specific computer, and use my 910 for swimming and "running" only.  I love the 910 for the swimming features, personally.

2013-05-22 10:10 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Elite
Ontario
I've disappeared for the last few days. Feeling under the weather (I never really get sick), and just lacking some motivation at the moment. First race is just over a week away, and although I should be jacked for it, I'm not. I've got high expectations for this season, but training just isn't coming together the way I felt it should at this point. Very ho hum about everything at the moment.

Just needed to post/whine for a minute...
2013-05-22 11:03 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Imagine you are climbing, it's getting harder, you are in the bigger cog in font, smaller in back. It get's harder, shift, harder, shift....you run out of gears in back. So you switch to the small in front. It now becomes too easy. you are spinning, so you need to shift to a smaller cog in back. That isn't the way I shift.. That switch to small in front, back to a smaller in back, I do very close together, but it's a natural habit Let say I am starting in the big ring, small in back. Shift to 2nd smallest back, shift to 3rd smallest in back.....up to 7th. If I now shift into small in front, the gearing may be too easy, and I will probably spin for a few seconds. So I shift to the small in front and almost immediately shift to a smaller in back, within a fraction of a second. not sure it's the right technique but it makes for a much smoother increase. Otherwise I spin when shifting to the small in front. Does that make any sense ? DI2 makes it super smooth ;-)

Perfect sense. I know exactly that feeling you are describing. Spinning for those few seconds really decreases momentum, so doing your little maneuver can keep the power/cadence/momentum more even.

2013-05-22 11:06 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Originally posted by bzgl40
Originally posted by marcag DI2 makes it super smooth ;-)
I'd love to get me some of that. Probably with a new bike, but I'm a long ways away from that. Cut my run short due to wheezing. I love allergy season. Yesterday I was working on my front porch and was watching the pollen blowing off the trees. Everything in my house is covered in pollen. Soon as I clean it up it is back.

I was wheezing so badly on my run last night. It was painful. This morning, my lungs hurt, front and back. I need to get back out there today, but I'm a little nervous about it. Curse those pioneers who brought trees to Kansas.

ETA: Oops, that last line was supposed to be in sarc font. I don't know why it's showing up blue for me after I post.

Edited by KansasMom 2013-05-22 11:08 AM

2013-05-22 11:14 AM
in reply to: KansasMom

Master
Northern IL

Imagine you are climbing, it's getting harder, you are in the bigger cog in font, smaller in back. It get's harder, shift, harder, shift....you run out of gears in back. So you switch to the small in front. It now becomes too easy. you are spinning, so you need to shift to a smaller cog in back. That isn't the way I shift.. That switch to small in front, back to a smaller in back, I do very close together, but it's a natural habit Let say I am starting in the big ring, small in back. Shift to 2nd smallest back, shift to 3rd smallest in back.....up to 7th. If I now shift into small in front, the gearing may be too easy, and I will probably spin for a few seconds. So I shift to the small in front and almost immediately shift to a smaller in back, within a fraction of a second. not sure it's the right technique but it makes for a much smoother increase. Otherwise I spin when shifting to the small in front. Does that make any sense ? DI2 makes it super smooth ;-)

Perfect sense. I know exactly that feeling you are describing. Spinning for those few seconds really decreases momentum, so doing your little maneuver can keep the power/cadence/momentum more even.

I've had better luck with it by shifting the back just before the front in the same direction described. Too many times the chain has jumped, dropped, or just wedged itself up somehow. Could be more of a habit from off-road riding so much before getting into roads. I'm still on mechanical shifting for everything, so wonder how much the Di2 helps with simultaneous.

2013-05-22 11:23 AM
in reply to: riorio

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by riorio

I am also curious...if you use a trainer a lot, is it harder to know which gear works when you are out on the road? I never ride the trainer but understand that many of you do.

Depends some on the rider and how often they have been riding outside. First ride outside from all-indoor winter might feel a little funny, but I'm used to it before the ride is over. Doing both over the summer and any differences are gone in the first few minutes.

I don't know that it's really knowing the gear so much as accepting one can't just sit in and cruise for awhile. Terrain isn't perfectly constant like indoors and one is going to have to pedal a little faster or slower even if in the same gear. Good reason one should make sure to get at least *some* outdoor training in.

2013-05-22 11:23 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Jason, I think you mentioned that you have your computer mounted between your aero bars on your bike, right?  Any chance you have a picture of that?  I just recently zip tied a cage to my aero bars, where my computer used to be mounted, so at the moment, I've been riding with it on my wrist, which is a pain as it's hard to see.

I've seriously contemplated (and initially wanted) to get a bike-specific computer, and use my 910 for swimming and "running" only.  I love the 910 for the swimming features, personally.

I'm not Jason but here is my homemade mount setup.  I'm also in the group that wouldn't give up the 500 for anything else I have seen.

2013-05-22 11:25 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by GoFaster I've disappeared for the last few days. Feeling under the weather (I never really get sick), and just lacking some motivation at the moment. First race is just over a week away, and although I should be jacked for it, I'm not. I've got high expectations for this season, but training just isn't coming together the way I felt it should at this point. Very ho hum about everything at the moment. Just needed to post/whine for a minute...

It'll come back Neil.  What is your upcoming race?

2013-05-22 11:43 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Payson, AZ
I have this overwhelming desire to get a new Garmin for some reason

2013-05-22 11:46 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Payson, AZ
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by riorio

I am also curious...if you use a trainer a lot, is it harder to know which gear works when you are out on the road? I never ride the trainer but understand that many of you do.

Depends some on the rider and how often they have been riding outside. First ride outside from all-indoor winter might feel a little funny, but I'm used to it before the ride is over. Doing both over the summer and any differences are gone in the first few minutes.

I don't know that it's really knowing the gear so much as accepting one can't just sit in and cruise for awhile. Terrain isn't perfectly constant like indoors and one is going to have to pedal a little faster or slower even if in the same gear. Good reason one should make sure to get at least *some* outdoor training in.

I have a bigger issue going from road to mountain then trainer to outdoors. But, I use to do all riding outdoors and very little on the trainer (back when I did this training thing that is) so shifting outside is probably just natural for me now. And my terrain is never flat so I shift a lot
2013-05-22 12:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by axteraa
Originally posted by ligersandtions

I'm not Jason but here is my homemade mount setup.  I'm also in the group that wouldn't give up the 500 for anything else I have seen.

Thanks, Arend!  No issues hitting the computer with the bottle when you pull it out to drink?  I think I'll try to set something up like this for my ride this weekend (will be using the 910 still, so I'll have to decide if I want to get a dedicated bike computer in the future). 

2013-05-22 12:42 PM

User image

where is the Garmin sale ?

Like Jason, I love my 500.

I don't trust quick release on the swim. I already lost a 310 with it, although it did get me the 910 :-)

clevertraining.com
2013-05-22 12:46 PM
in reply to: tri808

User image

OK, on clevertraining the 500 is the same price as the 800 (using a 10% discount code X8W66T). What are the differences between the 800 and 500? I know, I could look it up, but if someone already knows I do like the smaller size of the 500 and would fit between my bars like Arend's

Thanks
2013-05-22 12:47 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

I've had better luck with it by shifting the back just before the front in the same direction described. Too many times the chain has jumped, dropped, or just wedged itself up somehow. Could be more of a habit from off-road riding so much before getting into roads. I'm still on mechanical shifting for everything, so wonder how much the Di2 helps with simultaneous.

If I'm starting to climb a hill that I know will require me to be in the small chainring up front, then I typically shift into a harder gear (or two) and then move into the small chainring. I find doing it this way you basically lose no momentum since once you are in the small chainring the gearing is very similar to where it was before making all the initial shifts. It's also smoother doing it on a road bike than Tri since you don't have that extra second or so of lag as you move your hands.

2013-05-22 12:48 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by GoFaster I've disappeared for the last few days. Feeling under the weather (I never really get sick), and just lacking some motivation at the moment. First race is just over a week away, and although I should be jacked for it, I'm not. I've got high expectations for this season, but training just isn't coming together the way I felt it should at this point. Very ho hum about everything at the moment. Just needed to post/whine for a minute...

It'll come back Neil.  What is your upcoming race?

Milton Sprint - I just missed the podium last year and would love a crack at it this time round, but not sure it's going to happen.
2013-05-22 12:57 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ChrisM OK, on clevertraining the 500 is the same price as the 800 (using a 10% discount code X8W66T). What are the differences between the 800 and 500? I know, I could look it up, but if someone already knows I do like the smaller size of the 500 and would fit between my bars like Arend's Thanks

The mapping is easily the most notable. Maybe a couple more data points can fit on the screen? Otherwise it should all be there, but might be organized a little different in the various menus. Though I'm definitely on the 800 side as I want mapping. So useful when getting out & around, and for new routes in new areas.

2013-05-22 1:00 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by GoFaster  If I'm starting to climb a hill that I know will require me to be in the small chainring up front, then I typically shift into a harder gear (or two) and then move into the small chainring. I find doing it this way you basically lose no momentum since once you are in the small chainring the gearing is very similar to where it was before making all the initial shifts. It's also smoother doing it on a road bike than Tri since you don't have that extra second or so of lag as you move your hands.

That's exactly what I do. I've also just used one hand to make both shifts. It's fairly simple if you can do the shifts before things get really hard, and one should be making the shifts before that point anyway.

2013-05-22 2:20 PM

User image

Originally posted by GoFaster  If I'm starting to climb a hill that I know will require me to be in the small chainring up front, then I typically shift into a harder gear (or two) and then move into the small chainring. I find doing it this way you basically lose no momentum since once you are in the small chainring the gearing is very similar to where it was before making all the initial shifts. It's also smoother doing it on a road bike than Tri since you don't have that extra second or so of lag as you move your hands.

That's exactly what I do. I've also just used one hand to make both shifts. It's fairly simple if you can do the shifts before things get really hard, and one should be making the shifts before that point anyway.

x3. If I have a hill coming up requiring the small ring, I make sure I am in the small ring well before it, so I use the upshifting of the cassette and downshifting of the chanriing method, but keep the cassette in a harder gear and then downshift as I need it.

There are few things worse than dropping your chain at the base of a big climb from a sloppy shift and not being able to pedal it back on.....
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 190