Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 190

2013-05-26 7:43 AM
in reply to: rymac

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia - OPEN
Originally posted by rymac

I ran another 10K this morning and got a great result...Overall Champ and a new 10K PR of 38:29! 

Very impressive !! Congratulations.

2013-05-26 3:53 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Wow...just trying to catch up here. I hate the BT upgrade BTW...but that's for a non SBR discussion...I just had to get that off my chest.

Ryan - Great job on the PR. Always nice to execute those races well. It's a fine edge between running to your potential and a complete blow up.

Chris - Lots of factors likely contributed to your ride. I've been there before where it's a struggle to hold even 130+ at the end of a long ride. That's one of the "beauties" of a PM...it doesn't lie...if you're having an off day, it well let you know it and be a constant reminder till you finish.

Melissa - It was really windy here on Oahu yesterday when I rode. I can only imagine Kona is worse since there are no trees to give you a tiny bit of shelter.

As for me...last training weekend before Honu in the books. Starting to get those little aches and pains that come with the taper, but also starting to feel stronger and faster at the same time if that makes sense. I think I feel more ready about this race than I have for any other race I've done. It'll just be about execution and seeing where the chips fall.
2013-05-27 7:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
NJ
Ryan, yikes! That is speedy. Congrats!

Edited by kcarroll 2013-05-27 7:29 AM
2013-05-27 7:36 AM

User image

Pro
NJ

Long (for me) bike yesterday. Just over 4 hours. Headwinds were a bit demoralizing but it was the sideways gusts that were the toughest to deal with. I felt like I had a death grip on the hoods in spots and just kept getting pushed around.  Pretty much a bounce-fest. Lots of respect for those that ride regularly with wind. 

And cicadas have finally erupted around here. Roads were "crunchy" in spots. I had to wash my wheels when I got home. Bug guts. 

Edited by kcarroll 2013-05-27 7:43 AM
2013-05-27 7:52 AM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by kcarroll

Long (for me) bike yesterday. Just over 4 hours. Headwinds were a bit demoralizing but it was the sideways gusts that were the toughest to deal with. I felt like I had a death grip on the hoods in spots and just kept getting pushed around.  Pretty much a bounce-fest. Lots of respect for those that ride regularly with wind. 

And cicadas have finally erupted around here. Roads were "crunchy" in spots. I had to wash my wheels when I got home. Bug guts. 

Nasty winds here for my 3.5 hour ride yesterday too - 40 km/hr gusting to 60.  The only good thing about it was getting a KOM on Strava (without even trying to do so) because of it.    

2013-05-27 8:20 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
Ontario
Originally posted by marcag

I ran another 10K this morning and got a great result...Overall Champ and a new 10K PR of 38:29! 

Very impressive !! Congratulations.

X2 - great run Ryan. Some serious speed there.

2013-05-27 8:35 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Elite
Ontario
Looking for some race advice for this weekend's Sprint. The bike is a hilly/rolling 30km, with a big 1.3km hill near the beginning of the race, and then a net uphill until the turnaround. Going back is certainly a lot faster.

I haven't done a power test in a while but FTP is going to be somewhere around 245 watts at the moment. I rode 80km yesterday at an NP of 208, but the legs were starting to feel a bit toasted 55km in, and power dropped a touch - think it was partly from the run the day before. Anyway, just trying to get a target for power. I'm thinking somewhere around 230 watts on the way out, and perhaps let that drop 5 watts for the way back if I'm having any trouble maintaining it.

The 7k run after is nasty, and almost all uphill for the first 1/2, so I'm trying to save the legs a bit for the run.
2013-05-27 10:09 AM

User image

Neil - How fast is the descent coming back? Will you be able to hold 230 watts without going over 37ish mph? Normally I would say it's okay to shoot for 3-5 watts less on the second half if the first half is harder...but that means only letting your overall avg drop about 2-3 watts. The only reason I would shoot for a bigger difference would be if the way back was so fast in some areas that you are better off coasting. If the run is challenging, I think your legs would benefit from a more even effort rather than spiking it a bit early and trying to let them recover on the way back. IME, once you spike your power a hair too high and go over the red line...you have to dial your power back quite a bit to come back under. It's not a "1 for 1" trade.
2013-05-27 12:27 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Originally posted by ligersandtions

I ran another 10K this morning and got a great result...Overall Champ and a new 10K PR of 38:29!  I am pretty dang happy about it.

The 5K and 10K started at the same time and their were probably 10 folks ahead of me by the 5K Turnaround but they all turned so I had the lead police car waiting for me there.  When I reached the 10K turnaround their was a guy 100 yards behind me but he never got any closer.

What an awesome feeling...my first OA win.

I did take Rusty's advice from 2 weeks ago and did a much longer warm-up this time than usual so he can take some credit .

Smoking fast!!  Did you end up switching up your run training or stick with what you had been doing?  Was the big difference the warm-up?  Congrats!!

Thanks everyone!

I did not switch much up the last 2 weeks other than just trying to get out the door more for short runs.  I think this course is comparable in difficulty than the course 2 weeks ago, I just felt alot better out there today and managed the mental aspect (i.e. pain) alot better today.

I usually warm-up for 20 minutes before I do interval work so it makes sense that I should warm-up a bit longer.  I am not sure how much it helped but will continue to do so now!

Edited by rymac 2013-05-27 12:29 PM
2013-05-27 2:06 PM
in reply to: rymac

User image

Payson, AZ
I went for a mountain bike ride here in town.  Only covered less then 5 miles but felt like 50.  I am pretty beat up right now.  Nice mix of technical and challenging course.  I came home nice and bloody, so clearly I had fun.  My friend is even more bloody so obviously he had extra fun.  I even had blood on my teeth!?!!??  still trying to find that source
2013-05-27 4:35 PM
in reply to: bzgl40

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by bzgl40 I went for a mountain bike ride here in town.  Only covered less then 5 miles but felt like 50.  I am pretty beat up right now.  Nice mix of technical and challenging course.  I came home nice and bloody, so clearly I had fun.  My friend is even more bloody so obviously he had extra fun.  I even had blood on my teeth!?!!??  still trying to find that source

What kind of town is this?    Sounds like urban warfare.

2013-05-27 4:56 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

I just finished up 3 days of awesome riding:

Saturday was the fast group ride (85 miles), Sunday was a great ride with friends and the hubby with some nice climbs (58 miles) and today was the best of all: 75 miles round trip from our west valley to the summit of South Mountain, we had a great group with a fast pace (esp thru the rez due to the dogs!)...even got a couple QOMs on downhill segments which shows that I no longer descend like a Grandma! :-)

If I didn't love my bike before...I am definitely in love now! The only bad thing: it's going to make it even harder to leave her behind for 4 weeks when we travel

We also fit in some fun family stuff: a visit to Comicon, Star Trek movie and a family BBQ :-)

2013-05-27 11:07 PM
in reply to: riorio

Master
Northern IL
The ride last week really reignited the bike for me. Really ooking forward to everything with it, including the trainer sessions.
2013-05-28 7:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GoFaster

Looking for some race advice for this weekend's Sprint. The bike is a hilly/rolling 30km, with a big 1.3km hill near the beginning of the race, and then a net uphill until the turnaround. Going back is certainly a lot faster.

I haven't done a power test in a while but FTP is going to be somewhere around 245 watts at the moment. I rode 80km yesterday at an NP of 208, but the legs were starting to feel a bit toasted 55km in, and power dropped a touch - think it was partly from the run the day before. Anyway, just trying to get a target for power. I'm thinking somewhere around 230 watts on the way out, and perhaps let that drop 5 watts for the way back if I'm having any trouble maintaining it.

The 7k run after is nasty, and almost all uphill for the first 1/2, so I'm trying to save the legs a bit for the run.

230w is about 94% of FTP which sounds about right. I am assuming right in the middle of 100% for a 20km sprint and 90% for a 40km Oly.
Dropping a few watts on the way back, especially at high speed due to downhill with probably have negligible effect.
2013-05-28 8:27 AM
in reply to: tri808

User image

Elite
Ontario
Originally posted by tri808

Neil - How fast is the descent coming back? Will you be able to hold 230 watts without going over 37ish mph? Normally I would say it's okay to shoot for 3-5 watts less on the second half if the first half is harder...but that means only letting your overall avg drop about 2-3 watts. The only reason I would shoot for a bigger difference would be if the way back was so fast in some areas that you are better off coasting. If the run is challenging, I think your legs would benefit from a more even effort rather than spiking it a bit early and trying to let them recover on the way back. IME, once you spike your power a hair too high and go over the red line...you have to dial your power back quite a bit to come back under. It's not a "1 for 1" trade.

It's more a gentle net downhill on the way back because the course is still rolling - but certainly faster heading home. There's only the one really big hill where I'll coast down at 70km/h.
2013-05-28 8:33 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by GoFaster

230w is about 94% of FTP which sounds about right. I am assuming right in the middle of 100% for a 20km sprint and 90% for a 40km Oly.
Dropping a few watts on the way back, especially at high speed due to downhill with probably have negligible effect.

This is basically what I was thinking. I've got a really short Sprint in a couple of weeks with only a 20km ride and was thinking of aiming for 100% on that ride. We'll see if I can actually hit the 230 watts this weekend. I've been a bit sick the past week, but still been able to get the workouts done.

2013-05-28 3:23 PM

User image

Got in a nice 4 mile run this morning and will do my race wheel setup ride this afternoon before packing it up. For those that don't browse Tri Talk, I've got a "predict my HIM" thread going with the closest prediction getting some goodies from Hawaii. Winner can be from anywhere, but unfortunately the prize is limited to the closest predictor from the US due to shipping rates.
2013-05-28 4:31 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
My training today consisted of some threshold intervals on the trainer this morning and then an I pace run at lunch.  Coach said today would be "challenging".  He was right!!
2013-05-28 5:34 PM

User image

Champion
I love taper. That is all.
2013-05-28 5:53 PM
in reply to: mndymond

User image

Originally posted by mndymond

I love taper. That is all.

I'm enjoying my taper time as well. No morning workouts from here on out means I get to sleep in.
2013-05-28 6:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Got in a nice 4 mile run this morning and will do my race wheel setup ride this afternoon before packing it up. For those that don't browse Tri Talk, I've got a "predict my HIM" thread going with the closest prediction getting some goodies from Hawaii. Winner can be from anywhere, but unfortunately the prize is limited to the closest predictor from the US due to shipping rates.

We want your predictions ! :-)

2013-05-28 8:18 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

More crazy wind and weather today. I still managed to get a little swim, bike, and run in. There was chop on the pool.  And a wetsuit would have made the swim more comfortable. Brrrr.

I'm glad to hear our racers are enjoying their taper this week.

2013-05-28 9:42 PM

User image

We want your predictions ! :-)

I promised to give those out tomorrow once I close the thread for guesses...you know...to keep it fair for everyone who's guessing. God forbid I give some people an advantage and get called out on it. They'd ask for full refunds and label me as a greedy, money hungry contest runner that doesn't actually care about the satisfaction of my participants. LOL.
2013-05-29 7:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

For you guys training with power meters, do you find maintaining even power for long rides WAY harder than the hilly/rolling hill rides ?

ie a 200wNP/175wAP much easier than a 190wNP/190wAP despite the 200wNP being in theory a higher TSS.

I did a mind numbing ride last night, 15 mins to the F1 track, 15 minutes back and 2h30 of continuous even power on a relatively flat course.

I wanted to surge a few times just to kill the monotony.

I find it brutal to try and maintain a very flat pace. For the 2h30 I ended up with a 1.01VI, mostly due to a strong headwind in one direction.

Edited by marcag 2013-05-29 7:29 AM
2013-05-29 8:25 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Short answer - yes. I need varying terrain to break up the rides for me, and luckily around here there is nothing truly flat that goes and goes, there are always elevation changes. It's also why I'm not overly interested in a flat/fast HIM. Just churning out the same power lap after lap (mine are set at 5km) would destroy me mentally.

I can't imagine going around the F1 track the way you did. I'd much rather go over/under for specific periods of time and net the same TSS, and allow the VI to be a bit higher.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 190