Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 190

2013-05-29 9:23 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia - OPEN
Definitely harder.  I can't imagine ever doing IM Florida!

2013-05-29 9:32 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Two very hard workouts. Last night masters coach tried something new. Main set was 2000-2100 in 100s, set a fast interval and go until you can't hit it anymore, ez 100 then start again. We went with 1:20 and hit 8, 6, and 5. I should be able to do more of these but for some reason didnt really have it. I didn't miss the interval at the end but the last one or two was getting :02 or so rest

followed up by an FTP test this morning. Last weekends ride and the hard swim worried me a bit but it went as well as those things go, and I was hanging on by the thinnest of threads the last 90 seconds. 15w improvement over January (for the raw average number). The 5 minute puke rest comes Friday. Joy.

2013-05-29 9:40 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GoFaster

Short answer - yes. I need varying terrain to break up the rides for me, and luckily around here there is nothing truly flat that goes and goes, there are always elevation changes. It's also why I'm not overly interested in a flat/fast HIM. Just churning out the same power lap after lap (mine are set at 5km) would destroy me mentally.

I can't imagine going around the F1 track the way you did. I'd much rather go over/under for specific periods of time and net the same TSS, and allow the VI to be a bit higher.

20 x 4.5km laps..mind numbing....
there was a ground hog I saw a few times. that was the highlight of the ride.

http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/PZFWAMHC6UBM7EL4K6SWMYLBGI

Edited by marcag 2013-05-29 9:42 AM
2013-05-29 9:49 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Payson, AZ
Originally posted by ChrisM Two very hard workouts. Last night masters coach tried something new. Main set was 2000-2100 in 100s, set a fast interval and go until you can't hit it anymore, ez 100 then start again. We went with 1:20 and hit 8, 6, and 5. I should be able to do more of these but for some reason didnt really have it. I didn't miss the interval at the end but the last one or two was getting :02 or so rest

followed up by an FTP test this morning. Last weekends ride and the hard swim worried me a bit but it went as well as those things go, and I was hanging on by the thinnest of threads the last 90 seconds. 15w improvement over January (for the raw average number). The 5 minute puke rest comes Friday. Joy.

my god, that swim sounds painful

2013-05-29 11:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by ChrisM Two very hard workouts. Last night masters coach tried something new. Main set was 2000-2100 in 100s, set a fast interval and go until you can't hit it anymore, ez 100 then start again. We went with 1:20 and hit 8, 6, and 5. I should be able to do more of these but for some reason didnt really have it. I didn't miss the interval at the end but the last one or two was getting :02 or so rest

Awesome workout idea!  I have to try that one...

2013-05-29 11:34 AM
in reply to: bzgl40

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Originally posted by bzgl40

my god, that swim sounds painful

x2...I'm with you Kim...that sounds like torture1

2013-05-29 11:37 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marcag For you guys training with power meters, do you find maintaining even power for long rides WAY harder than the hilly/rolling hill rides ? ie a 200wNP/175wAP much easier than a 190wNP/190wAP despite the 200wNP being in theory a higher TSS. I did a mind numbing ride last night, 15 mins to the F1 track, 15 minutes back and 2h30 of continuous even power on a relatively flat course. I wanted to surge a few times just to kill the monotony. I find it brutal to try and maintain a very flat pace. For the 2h30 I ended up with a 1.01VI, mostly due to a strong headwind in one direction.

Yes, it's rather hard to hold exactly the same thing for a very long time. One reason I like the hillier courses is that I'm never bored on them. It's easier to keep pushing or to go harder on them because it's more entertaining.

2013-05-29 11:47 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by marcag For you guys training with power meters, do you find maintaining even power for long rides WAY harder than the hilly/rolling hill rides ? ie a 200wNP/175wAP much easier than a 190wNP/190wAP despite the 200wNP being in theory a higher TSS. I did a mind numbing ride last night, 15 mins to the F1 track, 15 minutes back and 2h30 of continuous even power on a relatively flat course. I wanted to surge a few times just to kill the monotony. I find it brutal to try and maintain a very flat pace. For the 2h30 I ended up with a 1.01VI, mostly due to a strong headwind in one direction.

Yes, it's rather hard to hold exactly the same thing for a very long time. One reason I like the hillier courses is that I'm never bored on them. It's easier to keep pushing or to go harder on them because it's more entertaining.

I wonder if it's psychological or physical.

I wonder if NP doesn't over estimate effort on a hilly course and underestimate it on a flat course.
2013-05-29 12:22 PM

User image

I don't have many rides like that, when I do it's in erg mode on the CT so I haven't a say in the matter    But on the road, where I do hit flattish sections, I find it hard from a mental standpoint as it is eady to lose focus.
2013-05-29 12:30 PM

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by marcag

I wonder if it's psychological or physical. I wonder if NP doesn't over estimate effort on a hilly course and underestimate it on a flat course.

First one is some degree of both. Psychological is definitely there. Physical would depend on ones history, if they've trained for the demands of the event. I grew up doing more surges & bursts, then waiting for everyone to catch up. Going even was killing me at first. Getting a lot better at it now. Or take a non-draft and put them into draft legal style ride. They'll get trashed if they haven't done the surges or attacks even if NP is the same.

Then there probably are limitations to the accuracy of the formula. It's very helpful, but isn't be-all, end-all.

2013-05-29 2:24 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

I wonder if it's psychological or physical. I wonder if NP doesn't over estimate effort on a hilly course and underestimate it on a flat course.

First one is some degree of both. Psychological is definitely there. Physical would depend on ones history, if they've trained for the demands of the event. I grew up doing more surges & bursts, then waiting for everyone to catch up. Going even was killing me at first. Getting a lot better at it now. Or take a non-draft and put them into draft legal style ride. They'll get trashed if they haven't done the surges or attacks even if NP is the same.

Then there probably are limitations to the accuracy of the formula. It's very helpful, but isn't be-all, end-all.

The bolded part is so true - bu I'm the opposite, I can ride a more steady pace within a set power bracket over a long period of time, but when I ride with guys who are kind of punchy, and they keep surging/resting/surging/resting, it kills me. I don't have the legs to do it.

2013-05-29 2:29 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by GoFaster

Short answer - yes. I need varying terrain to break up the rides for me, and luckily around here there is nothing truly flat that goes and goes, there are always elevation changes. It's also why I'm not overly interested in a flat/fast HIM. Just churning out the same power lap after lap (mine are set at 5km) would destroy me mentally.

I can't imagine going around the F1 track the way you did. I'd much rather go over/under for specific periods of time and net the same TSS, and allow the VI to be a bit higher.

20 x 4.5km laps..mind numbing....
there was a ground hog I saw a few times. that was the highlight of the ride.

http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/PZFWAMHC6UBM7EL4K6SWMYLBGI

Took a look at your file - wow, that really was some even pacing. Pretty amazing to look at your avg power for 10min vs 1hr/2hr and how close they were to each other.
2013-05-29 3:49 PM

User image

Agree with Ben...it depends on how you normally ride. I think I'm a bit well rounded as I do some group riding with roadies who tend to surge more often and I also do some solo training where I can keep my power steady for over an hour. I still think it's a bit easier for me to ride with a higher NP and VI during a group ride simply because of the motivation factor when you're up front, and the desire to not get dropped when in the back.
2013-05-29 5:41 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

So, I have been swimming down in a protected bay in Long Beach ans was likely going to switch back to our usual Sunday ocean swim venue this week.

Then this was posted to my FB wall

http://www.petethomasoutdoors.com/2013/05/manhattan-beach-surfer-spots-great-white-shark-in-wave.html

This is the pier we round to finish our swim.  I know they are out there, and likely swam near them a few times, and know they are small and aren't apt to eat me, but still, i don't exactly want to read about them

2013-05-29 6:20 PM

User image

Pro
NJ
Originally posted by ChrisM

So, I have been swimming down in a protected bay in Long Beach ans was likely going to switch back to our usual Sunday ocean swim venue this week.

http://www.petethomasoutdoors.com/2013/05/manhattan-beach-surfer-spots-great-white-shark-in-wave.html

This is the pier we round to finish our swim.  I know they are out there, and likely swam near them a few times, and know they are small and aren't apt to eat me, but still, i don't exactly want to read about them

Ok, maybe they grow them bigger on the west coast but I wouldn't call a 7 footer small. If a shark is bigger than me, it's big. We don't really see much of them off the Jersey shore but I usually spend some time up at the Cape. The last two summers have seen a lot of beach closures. 

2013-05-29 7:09 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Originally posted by kcarroll

Ok, maybe they grow them bigger on the west coast but I wouldn't call a 7 footer small. If a shark is bigger than me, it's big. We don't really see much of them off the Jersey shore but I usually spend some time up at the Cape. The last two summers have seen a lot of beach closures. 

I guess it's all relative, when the "large" ones are 20' 

I've had dolphins swim under me during long swims in murky water and it scares the poop out of me for a second, but I feel much better when I look and see a dolphin fin to confirm.  Would not want to see a GWS of any length while on an OWS

2013-05-29 7:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

You know, I did 400+ dives off the beaches in Socal and always wanted to see a GWS and never did....I only did a handful of open water swims while I was living in Socal and always felt a slight nervousness that I might see one then.  I always felt plenty safe diving (and staying close to the bottom), but there's something about flailing around on the surface looking like a sea lion!!

Now that I'm living in TX, I'm pretty convinced there's an alligator in every body of water I swim in.  In fact, I was once swimming in a murky lake close to my house and my right elbow hit something hard....out of my peripheral, I saw something large and dark.  Pretty sure it was an alligator....but I wasn't sticking around to find out!

2013-05-29 8:23 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Yikes!

My son was snorkeling with sharks on Catalina a couple weeks ago... they said they were harmless but that's not what a mom wants to hear!

2013-05-29 9:59 PM

User image

Yeah, anytime you're in the ocean you simply have to assume you're swimming with sharks. It's just a matter of if you see them or not. Here in Hawaii we have to worry about Tiger sharks. The GWS is a true killing machine, but I think they get a bad reputation from the Jaws movies as far as how often they go after people. No doubt it happens, but I think I'd be more afraid of a Bull shark or a Tiger if I actually seen on while swimming. I'd still poop my pants either way though.
2013-05-30 7:09 AM
in reply to: tri808

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by tri808
Originally posted by tri808 Got in a nice 4 mile run this morning and will do my race wheel setup ride this afternoon before packing it up. For those that don't browse Tri Talk, I've got a "predict my HIM" thread going with the closest prediction getting some goodies from Hawaii. Winner can be from anywhere, but unfortunately the prize is limited to the closest predictor from the US due to shipping rates.
We want your predictions ! :-)
I promised to give those out tomorrow once I close the thread for guesses...you know...to keep it fair for everyone who's guessing. God forbid I give some people an advantage and get called out on it. They'd ask for full refunds and label me as a greedy, money hungry contest runner that doesn't actually care about the satisfaction of my participants. LOL.

I'll say 6:13 so you have a "F that guy" to draw upon if/when things are getting you down during the race. Wink

2013-05-30 8:16 AM

User image

Originally posted by tri808 Got in a nice 4 mile run this morning and will do my race wheel setup ride this afternoon before packing it up. For those that don't browse Tri Talk, I've got a "predict my HIM" thread going with the closest prediction getting some goodies from Hawaii. Winner can be from anywhere, but unfortunately the prize is limited to the closest predictor from the US due to shipping rates.
I promised to give those out tomorrow once I close the thread for guesses...you know...to keep it fair for everyone who's guessing. God forbid I give some people an advantage and get called out on it. They'd ask for full refunds and label me as a greedy, money hungry contest runner that doesn't actually care about the satisfaction of my participants. LOL.

I'll say 6:13 so you have a "F that guy" to draw upon if/when things are getting you down during the race. Wink

LOL. I'll be bib 1630. Leaving for Kona this morning and likely won't have access to BT till Sunday as the mobile app wasn't working for me the last I checked. It's going to be a fun day regardless. We have a pretty big chunk of my training group racing, so even if I have a bad day, there will be more than enough incentive to keep moving as fast as I can. I've been talking a lot of trash, and there are more than a few people that would love to make me eat my words for the next year.

2013-05-30 9:29 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
good luck Jason.  Hope the winds are nice to you
2013-05-30 11:19 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

LOL. I'll be bib 1630. Leaving for Kona this morning and likely won't have access to BT till Sunday as the mobile app wasn't working for me the last I checked. It's going to be a fun day regardless. We have a pretty big chunk of my training group racing, so even if I have a bad day, there will be more than enough incentive to keep moving as fast as I can. I've been talking a lot of trash, and there are more than a few people that would love to make me eat my words for the next year.

I love trash talk! Good luck !!!

2013-05-30 11:58 AM
in reply to: riorio

User image

Champion
Driving up to the race expo to check in and stuff this afternoon. Staying overnight in the Mauna Lani resort where the race finish is tomorrow. I'm bib 1889.
2013-05-30 12:11 PM
in reply to: mndymond

User image

Originally posted by mndymond Driving up to the race expo to check in and stuff this afternoon. Staying overnight in the Mauna Lani resort where the race finish is tomorrow. I'm bib 1889.

Good luck Melissa and Jason!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 190