BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-07-30 2:06 PM
in reply to: #2317815

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
BigReub - 2009-07-30 1:50 PM
TrevorC - 2009-07-30 1:52 PM

I know one...A neighbor with a pool.  My wife wants a pool.  We have three neighbors with pools with none being more than 3 doors away.  Why the hell would I want to pay for a pool?

Amen!

2009-07-30 2:07 PM
in reply to: #2317860

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
DougRob - 2009-07-30 2:05 PM BigReub:

I have a pool. It is like a boat: a sink hole for $$$! With six pumps, lots of tiles, a ldeck made from the wrong concrete etc. I spend too much on it. Tell your wife how much you are saving NOT having one. Here is a pic:

(I hope that worked)

Doug

Damn - that 's a nice pool.  I had a pond growing up.  :-)
2009-07-30 2:11 PM
in reply to: #2317867

User image

Champion
marietta
sdalessio - 2009-07-30 2:07 PM

LMFAO!!!!
2009-07-30 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2317736

User image

Expert
dalessit - 2009-07-30 1:28 PM
SSMinnow - 2009-07-30 2:22 PM Ok, I got away for a swim and I am pages behind.   Shouldn't you be working out or working?

Danette---the day of my hardest Olympic, my coach had me on the trainer for a 20 minute ez flush that night.  The next morning I had zero soreness and was ready for my EZ45 minute ride and 30 minute swim.  I'm in the Tony camp on active recovery so long as you aren't injured.  The other thing I recently incorporated is post workout nutrition. Within seconds of finishing a workout or race, I am downing an Amino Vital Fast Charge pack with H20 and either a glass of chocolate millk (Steve's preference) or fruit/yogurt (my preference) to get the good protein/carb combo into my system fast.  I swear it helps.  Oh and by the way, I am the slowest swimmer in our group.  Think turtle on land.  Today I was watching a guy swim and thought, "WOW he's slow" and then I realized he was passing me. LOL!

Steve--such a funny boy.  It is hard to believe I have wiped out three times already this year.  I think I must have spent too much time on the trainer over the winter! I will go bike 500 more and see if I can stay upright for all of them.

To all doing the sit up challenge, if you want something to really take it to the next level, do this....I posted it before, but here it is again.  It is 369 moves in 15 minutes. It is the last option.  It makes me want to cry, but then I see their abs and keep going.

Suzy

Yep on the post workout nutrition, if I do anything more than 60 minutes I always have a recovery drink to help me be ready for the next day.

Doug here is a medical explanation of why http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/activerecovery.h... />
Also agree with Suzy, active recovery is a no-no if you are hurt.  For me most of my active recovery is biking on the trainer with almost 0 resistance or easy swims.  I am allready running enough so don't need that extra pounding on the body.

I'm w/ the hubby on the active recovery days and keeping up the program so when something does come up I don't beat myself up for missing a day.  I like an easy swim or 20/30 min. jog for recovery.  I also can rarely stick to a plan as written day after day b/t work, the kids and home.  So I will move part of a workout to an "off" day. 

That said, I put together my own fall running plan and upped the intensity so I wrote in a day off (Saturdays) and want to make myself stick to that.  Of course, running around after small children may not constitute a day off. LOL
2009-07-30 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2317867

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
sdalessio - 2009-07-30 3:07 PM

I have a pool. It is like a boat: a sink hole for $$$! With six pumps, lots of tiles, a ldeck made from the wrong concrete etc. I spend too much on it. Tell your wife how much you are saving NOT having one. Here is a pic:

(I hope that worked)

Doug

We have a pool and a pond, pond would be good for you.
2009-07-30 2:17 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Elite
Raleigh
The wife of the couple that owned the house before us was a little wacko. Apparently the pool took about -1.5 years to design and complete. The guys that built it are out of business now and this was one of there better jobs. That being said it has issues. I don't believe the previous owners ever paid for it in full and nickled and dimed things. The equipment comes from many different companies, the piping is screwy, nothing is labeled, and the cement for the deck was like ice when wet. We had kids falling down.

I spent an entire weekend cleaning it with acid, neutralizing the acid and then painting it with special deck paint that has traction. Not something you want to do in 90+ degree heat. Last year we had to fix the infinity wall and basin as water was leaking through and the tiles were coming off the top. I was glad it ONLY cost 5K to fix as they repair company was preparing me for a major rebuild for 50K!!! (No way!) I have calcification on the tiles all the time as they did not seal the walls properly. Until recently I couldn't get half the system to work, so no jets in the hot tub, no bubbler, and no waterfall. Chemicals and cleaning are fun expenses too.

Yes it is conveniant. Yes it is pretty. But biy is it a pain in the wallet!

Doug

PS: NC SWMBKRUN MG members and families (and anyone else that wants to join) are welcome for a barbeque sometime.

2009-07-30 2:18 PM
in reply to: #2317882

User image

Expert
dalessit - 2009-07-30 2:12 PM

(I hope that worked)

Doug

LOL

Aren't you running yet?
2009-07-30 2:21 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

(I hope that worked)

Doug

You got me to LOL! I had a pool growing up on Long Island. We sold the house after we learned it was tilting and the deep end was gettign deeper and the shallow end getting higher.

Apparently before my time there was an in-ground  pool at my fraternity house in college. It was in bad shape. They had a quote of $1,500 to fix it and $500 to bury. Since I never saw it, you can figure out which option they chose. In the long run it was a good choice. Someone would have died or been injured eventually and the fraternity would have been sued.
2009-07-30 2:22 PM
in reply to: #2317862

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
sdalessio - 2009-07-30 2:05 PM
TrevorC - 2009-07-30 1:40 PM
SSMinnow - 2009-07-30 12:22 PM Ok, I got away for a swim and I am pages behind.   Shouldn't you be working out or working?

Danette---the day of my hardest Olympic, my coach had me on the trainer for a 20 minute ez flush that night.  The next morning I had zero soreness and was ready for my EZ45 minute ride and 30 minute swim.  I'm in the Tony camp on active recovery so long as you aren't injured.  The other thing I recently incorporated is post workout nutrition. Within seconds of finishing a workout or race, I am downing an Amino Vital Fast Charge pack with H20 and either a glass of chocolate millk (Steve's preference) or fruit/yogurt (my preference) to get the good protein/carb combo into my system fast.  I swear it helps.  Oh and by the way, I am the slowest swimmer in our group.  Think turtle on land.  Today I was watching a guy swim and thought, "WOW he's slow" and then I realized he was passing me. LOL!

Steve--such a funny boy.  It is hard to believe I have wiped out three times already this year.  I think I must have spent too much time on the trainer over the winter! I will go bike 500 more and see if I can stay upright for all of them.

To all doing the sit up challenge, if you want something to really take it to the next level, do this....I posted it before, but here it is again.  It is 369 moves in 15 minutes. It is the last option.  It makes me want to cry, but then I see their abs and keep going.

Suzy

Oh humble one. 1:45/100yds is not slow.
Tony's swim from Culpepper last year. That is slow.Wink Dude, your going to swim this at least 10 minutes faster this year!!! Nad hopefully vomit after the race. I need you to vomit after at least one race this year!!!

Hey now - watch the slow swim talk.  I am definitely the slowest swimmer.  I just did 2:45 100s in a 300 pool swim.  I could have run faster in the water!

Hey Trev--have you ever heard of a RD shorting the swim?  Definitely happens and I am 99.9% certain this was the case.  A shark would need to be chasing me to go that fast.  I maybe can squeak out a 2:00/100 in OW due to adrenaline and the wetsuit.  My HIM will be a very good judge because it is in a HUGE lake with lots of chop.  Kind of scares the crap out of me just talking about it.

Like Sam, my pool times are a little slow (2:30ish, 2:20 on an exceptional day.....supposed to do 6x100s FAST today.....oh and time them.  I didn't.  Somethings you just don't need to know.
2009-07-30 2:27 PM
in reply to: #2317904

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
DougRob - 2009-07-30 1:21 PM

(I hope that worked)

Doug

You got me to LOL! I had a pool growing up on Long Island. We sold the house after we learned it was tilting and the deep end was gettign deeper and the shallow end getting higher.

Apparently before my time there was an in-ground  pool at my fraternity house in college. It was in bad shape. They had a quote of $1,500 to fix it and $500 to bury. Since I never saw it, you can figure out which option they chose. In the long run it was a good choice. Someone would have died or been injured eventually and the fraternity would have been sued.

Maybe that is where they buried Hoffa?
2009-07-30 2:29 PM

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
dalessit - 2009-07-30 3:12 PM

(I hope that worked)

Doug

Carl would look great floating around that pool.

2009-07-30 2:31 PM
in reply to: #2317908

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
SSMinnow - 2009-07-30 1:22 PM
sdalessio - 2009-07-30 2:05 PM
TrevorC - 2009-07-30 1:40 PM
SSMinnow - 2009-07-30 12:22 PM Ok, I got away for a swim and I am pages behind.   Shouldn't you be working out or working?

Suzy

Oh humble one. 1:45/100yds is not slow.
Tony's swim from Culpepper last year. That is slow.Wink Dude, your going to swim this at least 10 minutes faster this year!!! Nad hopefully vomit after the race. I need you to vomit after at least one race this year!!!

Hey now - watch the slow swim talk.  I am definitely the slowest swimmer.  I just did 2:45 100s in a 300 pool swim.  I could have run faster in the water!

Hey Trev--have you ever heard of a RD shorting the swim?  Definitely happens and I am 99.9% certain this was the case.  A shark would need to be chasing me to go that fast.  I maybe can squeak out a 2:00/100 in OW due to adrenaline and the wetsuit.  My HIM will be a very good judge because it is in a HUGE lake with lots of chop.  Kind of scares the crap out of me just talking about it.

Like Sam, my pool times are a little slow (2:30ish, 2:20 on an exceptional day.....supposed to do 6x100s FAST today.....oh and time them.  I didn't.  Somethings you just don't need to know.

Definitely....but we use it to our advantage. If we have an crappy swim time we say the course was long.
That's why we wear Garmins right? So we can set blame elsewhere if the bike and/or run isn't precise. We can blame or celebrate our performance based on that. As least thats the way I roll!!! Wink
2009-07-30 2:59 PM
in reply to: #2317933

User image

Expert
B'ham

TrevorC - 2009-07-30 12:31 PM
Definitely....but we use it to our advantage. If we have an crappy swim time we say the course was long.
That's why we wear Garmins right? So we can set blame elsewhere if the bike and/or run isn't precise. We can blame or celebrate our performance based on that. As least thats the way I roll!!! Wink

You get that "wink" everytime you mention your Garmin

2009-07-30 3:05 PM
in reply to: #2316750

User image

Elite
san francisco
sdalessio - 2009-07-30 5:54 AM
Havin'Fun - 2009-07-30 7:49 AM
sdalessio - 2009-07-30 8:37 AM Ok totally off subjest but I am having a GRRRRRRRRR  moment.  So one of my eating pitfalls is work and the amout of crap that comes from company lunches, birthdays, functions, holidays, etc..  This past month has been pretty good and easy to avoid stuff but today was going to be a tough one. 

Breakfast kickoff celebration for a charity event which translates to a room full of Krispy Kreme donuts.  This afternoon - birthday cupcakes for our little internal group of 13.  So I thought ok I can handle this - I will not go to the breakfast thing and avoid temptation since I can't ditch the co-workers this afternoon.  One cupcake won't kill or derail me.

I get to work this AM and there is a voicemail message from my boss and her boss basically ordering me to go to the breakfast celebration to show support for their boss.  BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Luckily I am so peeved about having to go that I think I can avoid the donuts (which I love but know are terrible for you).  I'm going to arm myself w/ a yogurt and leave asap.  Don't you just love office politics.Yell

You could eat a dozen Krisy Kreme dounts and tell them you are training for the Krispy Kreme challenge they have here in January each year.  You run 2 miles, eat a dozen donuts and then run another 2 miles.  All this needs to be done in under an hour.  The finish line is lined with trash cans....for vomit   

I have never been able to eat Krispy Kreme...I am a Dunkin Donuts girl      But, I use to have a rep that would bring me three dozen KK donuts each year on a specific day....my staff loved it.

Laughing  I saw that race on ESPN.com this year.  I think I would vomit after a dozen donuts!

Love this donut thread!  I also cannot eat Krispy Kremes Linda! For some reason they are too sweet for me.  HOWEVER, a patient of mine brought me a half dozen Maple Glazed Bacon donuts from a new specialty shop in SF called Dynamo Donuts.  Yuck, right? No way...they were soooo good.  I ate one, and made the staff eat the rest immediately.
2009-07-30 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2317143

User image

Elite
san francisco
TrevorC - 2009-07-30 7:53 AM
fattyfatfat - 2009-07-30 8:45 AM
SSMinnow - 2009-07-30 9:42 AM
tahrens - 2009-07-30 9:33 AM  I like shoe number 2.  The straps around the base of your toes might start to hurt after a few hours of standing table dancing.  BTW, that is the best looking bridesmaids dress I have ever seen.  Where is the pink taffeta and puffy shoulders?

Andy,  NO FREAKING WAY!!!!   I'm already planning to spend my week's vacation at Disney waddling around like a penguin, no need to put myself in a wheel chair!  That Goofy medal is going to Tony and Sam I believe.

The dress is one I bought about three years ago and never wore.  I am the only one standing up so she is letting me wear what I want to wear which is good. I've done some ugly bridesmaids dresses in my day.

The first two are the most comfortable (if there is such a thing with heels), but I'm partial to #2 as well. Tomorrow I will slap on the dress, with the shoes, post hair and make-up and post something.  And only I will know for sure what is underneath it all!

yeah me  too
Dude i just spit my coffee out!!

And i can't wait for tomorrow to come now.

I just spit out my zucchini!!! LMFAO! 
Suzy, I like the one on the left!
2009-07-30 3:24 PM
in reply to: #2317008

User image

SSMinnow - 2009-07-30 10:20 AM
Ok, ladies...shoe question: Which one with the dress?  I bought the one on the right,but they are the least comfortable of the three......what do you think? 

Suzy, I vote for the shoes on the left - are they goldish?  They look nice and will showcase your pedicure

2009-07-30 3:26 PM
in reply to: #2317599

User image

dalessit - 2009-07-30 1:42 PM If you do full IM's I suggest always sticking around afterwards for the rolldown.

13:47:00   161/210 in the Mens 30-34 division at Lake Placid ended up with a Kona Spot.  Basically if you didn't know each of the M-dot branded races have a certain amount of spots for Kona, some decline because they allready qualified, some decline because they don't want to pay all that money to travel to Hawaii.  So spots "Roll down" to the next person until someone accepts, you do have to pay right there on the spot also.

People were posting on ST how mad they were because they either went to breakfast, packed up and left, etc because they thought there was no wasy a spot would open up for them and some of them were in that AG and finished 2 hrs ahead of that guy.

Lesson learned.

I saw this...but it was a mistake.  Too bad for #161
2009-07-30 3:29 PM
in reply to: #2317930

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
BigReub - 2009-07-30 1:29 PM

(I hope that worked)

Doug

I may be a dumb Canadian for asking, but who is Carl?
2009-07-30 3:54 PM
in reply to: #2318092

User image

Expert
TrevorC - 2009-07-30 3:29 PM

(I hope that worked)

Doug

I may be a dumb Canadian for asking, but who is Carl?

Oh dude - how can you not know the CaddyShack references?  Laughing
2009-07-30 3:59 PM
in reply to: #2318143

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
sdalessio - 2009-07-30 2:54 PM
TrevorC - 2009-07-30 3:29 PM

(I hope that worked)

Doug

I may be a dumb Canadian for asking, but who is Carl?[/QUOTE]

Oh dude - how can you not know the CaddyShack references?  Laughing

In answer to you question, please see highlighted statement.. I know Caddyshack, but not as well as others I guess....It just came out in theatres here last year.
2009-07-30 4:35 PM
in reply to: #2314909

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
fattyfatfat - 2009-07-29 8:30 AM Sit-Up (and push up if your nuts) Challenge

Can we all start or re-start this Monday (8/3) so we are all doing it together? 

I'm in for both! Only 100 push-ups though not 200. I'm not THAT crazy I actually finished the push- up challenge back in February, but haven't kept them up so I'm starting all over again.

2009-07-30 5:04 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon

Ok, so I am really late on this, but I'm running my first 50k trail run in December.

As far as recovery goes I like active recovery too. Usually the first few days after any long race I'll do yoga, easy short swims, easy short bikes. I find that if I don't do anything I stiffen up pretty bad and it's much more difficult to get back to regular training. I also think it is important to listen to your body and not push through the workouts until you feel well recovered.

Suzy- I like the shoes on the far left.

I know there was much more to comment on, but I just can't keep track of it all.

Oh... racing this weekend. I'm doing a mile swim race on Saturday. It'll be my first swim only race, should be interesting as I'm sure it'll bring out all the speedy swimmers, which I am NOT.

Edited by roni_runnw 2009-07-30 5:13 PM
2009-07-30 7:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Good luck with your swim Roni!

I am starting my weekend early.  I have tomorrow off and I am going outlet shopping with my Mom.  We make a day of it.  Leaving about 8 in the morning and we will get home about 11 pm.  A long, but fun day!  Have a great weekend everyone!

Karen
2009-07-30 8:02 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Wife and kids are out at the cabin until Sunday.....So went for a run and swim after work.
I figured I would try the no ipod thing. I had only planned for 5k so no big deal. I don't remember the last time I ran without someone with m, or without my ipod. I know you guys were talking about it a few pages ago. I really tried to focus on my breathing and hitting the ground on my 4th step and exhaling. I had a great run which made me think that maybe sometimes when I wear the ipod I'm not really listening to my body. Kept the Garmin on though. Can't go completely cold turkey on technology.
Justing eating a little tuna melt with a glass of choco milk. Quiet house...life is good.
2009-07-30 8:47 PM
in reply to: #2318447

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

gadgetlaw - 2009-07-30 7:40 PM Good luck with your swim Roni!

I am starting my weekend early.  I have tomorrow off and I am going outlet shopping with my Mom.  We make a day of it.  Leaving about 8 in the morning and we will get home about 11 pm.  A long, but fun day!  Have a great weekend everyone!

Karen

How do you log "full contact shopping"?  Is there a category for it under sports?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383