General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What Is Base Building Training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-12-03 5:11 PM
in reply to: #1834385

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: RE: What Is Base Building Training?
You guys are splitting scientific hairs just to bust my chops. Aerobic exercise is considered being below LT. If there's a blend then great.

If you really want to argue that very high intensity is aerobic exercise then lets race. Ironman distance. You must complete the entire event in zone 5 without ever dropping below and I can keep my exercise aerobic by the standards that I gave and everyone is familiar. We can then determine who's aerobic terminology is a better fit.

2008-12-03 5:30 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Base training - I like to call it slow and easy with intermintent harder efforts.
2008-12-03 5:31 PM
in reply to: #1837304

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
tjfry - 2008-12-03 5:11 PM
If you really want to argue that very high intensity is aerobic exercise then lets race. Ironman distance. You must complete the entire event in zone 5 without ever dropping below and I can keep my exercise aerobic by the standards that I gave and everyone is familiar. We can then determine who's aerobic terminology is a better fit.

Right, which is why, for me, aerobic training/base a training is training intensity I would aim for an Ironman race as it's my longest event. That means training at that intensity, not below it and with tempo and interval training above it. I don't recomend that to new athletes, but I can assure you if you want to maximize your IM performance, best of you find a HR or power you can hold for the duration of the event and work it. I see way too many IM Kona hopefuls who want to be fast but train way to slow because they call it 'base".
2008-12-03 5:32 PM
in reply to: #1837319

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
bryancd - 2008-12-03 5:31 PM

tjfry - 2008-12-03 5:11 PM

We bust your chops because you have great insights, TJ, but hardly ever post!

Right, which is why, for me, aerobic training/base a training is training intensity I would aim for an Ironman race as it's my longest event. That means training at that intensity, not below it and with tempo and interval training above it. I don't recomend that to new athletes, but I can assure you if you want to maximize your IM performance, best of you find a HR or power you can hold for the duration of the event and work it. I see way too many IM Kona hopefuls who want to be fast but train way to slow because they call it 'base".
2008-12-03 5:43 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-12-03 8:11 PM

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

tjfry - 2008-12-03 6:11 PM You guys are splitting scientific hairs just to bust my chops. Aerobic exercise is considered being below LT. If there's a blend then great.

I tend to agree. It all seems to be a matter of degrees. Some advocate strictly staying in Z2, other say lean that way, but mix it varying amounts of additional intensity. What I don't see is anyone advocating all training at or above LT. Although if someone was just trying to lose weight with only 15 minutes a day, might be a good option.

Now I need to go do some strength training, I'm taking a walk. What? I'm using my muscles, so it's strength training, right?

2008-12-03 8:21 PM
in reply to: #1837326

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
PennState - 2008-12-03 5:43 PM

tjfry - 2008-12-03 6:11 PM You guys are splitting scientific hairs just to bust my chops. Aerobic exercise is considered being below LT. If there's a blend then great. If you really want to argue that very high intensity is aerobic exercise then lets race. Ironman distance. You must complete the entire event in zone 5 without ever dropping below and I can keep my exercise aerobic by the standards that I gave and everyone is familiar. We can then determine who's aerobic terminology is a better fit.

I'm not busting your chops at all, just explaining the science of aerobic and anerobic physiology, which is poorly understood by many (including yourself). Your definition of aerobic exercize is anything below LT and that's fine if you want to use that... it's just not everyone's, it is certainly not mine... and specifically not the scientific definition.

Trying to argue that you would do better in your 'aerobic' zone of exercise vs. someone doing an entire IM in Z5 is more than a bit silly and does not prove your point. It's pretty clear that the lactic acd generated by a Z5 effort is pretty great and would not be sustainable for very long... but the effort is still primarily aerobically driven. It's just that too much of the anerobic system is engaged and thus the lactic acid build-up will limit your time at this effort.

Definitions:
1. AEROBIC METABOLISM:
Aerobic respiration requires oxygen in order to generate energy (ATP). (wiki)
2. ANEROBIC METABOLISM: Anaerobic respiration is the process of generating energy through the donation of electrons generated by oxidation of a nutrient to an external electron acceptor (other than oxygen). (wiki)

'aerobic' has taken on numerous meanings in the context of exercise, but there are standard scientific definitions of this and what I have described is not something that I have come up with on my own

Non-sequitor here... do you know why the build-up of lactic acid in anerobic metabolism is actually very important not only for our safety, but also our survival??? Bonus points if anyone can answer

Got it. But we were talking about the base phase in exercise and if it has any merit. Not a cellular discussion and definitions.
Per wiki -
"Anaerobic exercise is exercise intense enough to trigger anaerobic metabolism. It is used by athletes in non-endurance sports to build power and by body builders to build muscle mass."

Right, wrong or otherwise, the world understands the term Aerobic exercise and Anaerobic exercise as what I have described. If that is scientifically incorrect than you need to take that up with the world of sports.

My challenge was silly, correct and was made to prove a point. If the majority of a beer is not alcohol, then does that make it a non alcoholic drink? If intense exercise is primarily an aerobic action, does that make it an aerobic exercise by the world's definition?

All classroom biology aside, The purpose of this thread was to question the worth of the base phase and if it shouldn't be removed altogether. I jumped in to discuss the merits as I see them in my little world. I was hoping to hear the other side of the equation and the argument against base, and example of any elite athlete who doesn't have a base phase, any elite level (read pro/olympic) coach who teaches it, and the various merits of skipping it. I enjoy the discussion as I enjoy learning all the ways people approach this sport. So far I have gotten definitions and kreb cycles.

To the point of an earlier post of base training that is too easy. I agree completely. Back when I was doing this sport a bit more I moved to a city to train and started riding as a group with some folks. Their base and recovery was WAY too easy for me. My thoughts follow that of Maffetone in that nearly all of the base training should be within 10 beats of your aerobic max (this is not LT). That effort level isn't much off of Ironman race pace and is done day in, day out. Its not too hard that you can't recover, and not too easy that you don't get anything out of it. Where I digress from most is that I don't cross that HR max for anything. If that means getting dropped or slowing way down on a hill, then that's how it is.

Now hit me with some training talk...
2008-12-03 8:40 PM

Coach
Boston, MA

tjfry- 2008-12-03 2:34 PM
Zone 5 is Aerobic? Hmmmm… Guess we’re gonna have to agree to disagree.

feel free to do so, but that’s irrelevant for the discussion. As Rick/Fred mentioned above pretty much anything over 2 minutes relies on mainly the aerobic energy system because, hence doing VO2 max intervals (usually between 3 to 5 min in duration for most athletes) rely more on the aerobic system. But don’t take my word for it, you can grab a physiology book and learn this for yourself.

tjfry - 2008-12-03 2:34 PM
As I mentioned in my post, this is more of an art. We can find examples of anything that backs our theories. Here is what I do know for a fact: I personally never got tendon/ligament/joint injuries doing aerobic basework(at any volume). Every injury I have ever had (and there are a lot!) were because of intensity.

I agree, coaching is an art which IMO should balance anecdotal evidence (experience) and scientific evidence (knowledge) in particular on sport physiology. This will give the coach the tools to better advice/prepare his/her athletes. Anyway, injuries are not a based of volume (or intensity for that matter) in general most injuries relate to inappropriate management of training load. I bet you if coming of your off-season you go a bust a marathon even if you run it very slow you will be risking some sort of acute inury. OTOH just because you are getting back to training and doing most session easy, it doesn’t mean that by adding for instance 5x30 seconds strides (usually done at threshold to VO2 max pace) in one of your sessions you will be placing so much stress on your muscles/soft tissue that you will end up injured

tjfry - 2008-12-03 2:34 PM As an age grouper, I trained entirely aerobic (below anaerobic threshold), modest volume, not a drop of intensity. I qualified for Hawaii. Most people where I live mix in lots of different intensities all year long. Is it wrong? Nope. Some people believe in training that way. It also keeps it interesting. Would I train that way. Nope. But that’s my bias. I swam D1 in college, trained and tested at the Olympic Training Center as a triathlete and was advised by Maffetone, National Team and Olympic coaches and that’s what they taught me. So I guess I’m stuck in my ways.

again that would be your personal choice. Unless you are training like a pro (similar volume, i.e. 30+ hrs per week) IMO you are limiting the gains you could achieve in your performance. Look at Bryan, he trained efficiently and smart for 1 season doing a lot of his training at or above race pace (z3, z4) and he also got a KQ on the 1st stab. Yes he has good genes and such but he trained so well his body to handle greater training loads that intensity he rode during IMAZ probably felt rather easy of what he was used to.

tjfry - Never mentioned lactate threshold. Look, there are tons of ways to train, and all are valid. But its just as easy for me to question the vailidity of anything except base work as it is for someone to question the vailidity of base work itself. I all depends on what you like in your training soup.

I know you didn’t hence I posed the question, If LT is the single most important training adaptation for performance for endurance athletes why would someone want to limit his improvement?

tjfry - 2008-12-03 5:11 PM You guys are splitting scientific hairs just to bust my chops. Aerobic exercise is considered being below LT. If there's a blend then great. If you really want to argue that very high intensity is aerobic exercise then lets race. Ironman distance. You must complete the entire event in zone 5 without ever dropping below and I can keep my exercise aerobic by the standards that I gave and everyone is familiar. We can then determine who's aerobic terminology is a better fit.

The idea is not to bust anyone’s chops, the point is to educate athletes about some of the myths and misinformation presented through different venues by Pros, coaches, etc. Mark Allen was a phenomenal athlete and that’s one thing but more often than just because and athlete is fast it doesn’t mean he/she has the understanding to teach not to coach and that has nothing to do with his racing credentials. I simple question his understanding about physiology given some of his articles. That I have a problem with because people tend to listen to these famous figures very close and believe what they said as gospel and when the information is inaccurate it makes a disservice to the listeners and the coaching profession.  

Again I am not debating whether the approach suggested by him or others works, it obviously does and I use it with some athletes. The point is simple, you can’t generalize and treat all athletes the same and also; to limit your training load to certain intensity through the general phase even when sports physiology exposes serious holes on that approach, to me the athlete is just limiting his/her potential for bigger improvements.   

2008-12-03 8:43 PM
in reply to: #1837597

Edited by PennState 2008-12-03 8:45 PM
2008-12-03 8:56 PM

Expert
Mississippi

Non-sequitor here... do you know why the build-up of lactic acid in anerobic metabolism is actually very important not only for our safety, but also our survival??? Bonus points if anyone can answer

I give up.  I can't remember much from Biochem now . . . what is it?  I'm sure it's something I'm supposed to know.

2008-12-03 9:03 PM

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
There is no offense at all. Good discussions often don't form around here for fear of offending. I guess I'm not sure what your argument is. If it is still my definition of Aerobic Exercise and Anaerobic Exercise then I guess you win on a technicallity. Go find a sports publication or website (don't go cheat and grab some scientific or medical journal) that describes Anaerobic exercise as you have (Aerobic with a dash of lactate!!).

To your point on Maffetone. Yes he has lots of stuff people find controversial. Most of his concepts are very high level, so there is room for interpretation in some areas. I am a believer of not crossing that HR limit. Not a believer on his thoughts on running shoes. Either way his results are stout. Mark Allen, Mike Pigg, the Deboom brothers, Donn Peters,etc. If you step away and just listen to the overall message, its the same as what Carmichael/ Armstrong practice among others.
Its boring and takes a great deal of patience, so it certainly not going to be a winner for everyone, but it's done great things for me so I stick with it.....until I hear the next great thing.

2008-12-03 9:04 PM

Coach
Boston, MA
PennState - 2008-12-03 5:43 PM

Non-sequitor here... do you know why the build-up of lactic acid in anerobic metabolism is actually very important not only for our safety, but also our survival??? Bonus points if anyone can answer:)

mmm I am not physiologist but the only guess I can think off is that the lactic acid build up causes the body to keep on looking for fuel and this prevents acidosis which prevents some sort of asphixia? now you got me curious, please share! :)

Edited by JorgeM 2008-12-03 9:05 PM
2008-12-03 9:13 PM

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
By the way, my wife tells me that my sarcasm doesn't carry well on the internet, so if my comments come off brash or b*tchy(or sensitive!), take me with a grain of salt....
2008-12-03 9:21 PM

Master
PennState - 2008-12-03 6:43 PM

anaerobic glycosis can occur over a longer time, minutes instead of seconds

2008-12-03 9:24 PM

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
I tried to cheat, read an answer about the purpose and still don't understand.
2008-12-03 9:36 PM
in reply to: #1837685

Edited by PennState 2008-12-03 9:37 PM

2008-12-03 9:41 PM

Veteran
Rockwall, Texas
possibly so you don't run out of oxygen and die from too low a blood oxygen saturation? i have no idea. please tell. i like this thread. it's good to see some of thes things being seriously thought thru and analyzed. i just wish i knew enough to chime i. i don't really have a "base building phase" just in season and off season. this has got me to really think about it tho, thanks guys.Cool
2008-12-03 9:57 PM
in reply to: #1837764

Champion
PennState - 2008-12-03 9:36 PM

The build-up of lactic acid (which is a waste product) causes your muscles to hurt. 

Ok, since we're all being contrary.... 

Lactic acid isn't a waste product as it can be used as a substrate for purposes of metabolism, and it doesn't cause muscle burn.  That is from excess hydrogen ions.

2008-12-03 10:02 PM

Master
With respect to what is base training/not base training, going to hard/too easy.. there has always been the label of "the grey zone" for Z3, that is either not slow enough to have aerobic endurance building benefits, but not fast enough to have an anaerobic benefit.. is this a myth or is it based on some type of sports science? People like Brian have had success training at a Z3 level, but a ton of literature says Z2 or Z4
2008-12-03 10:29 PM
in reply to: #1837805

2008-12-04 7:02 AM
in reply to: #1837811

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

slake707 - 2008-12-04 12:02 AM

With respect to what is base training/not base training, going to hard/too easy.. there has always been the label of "the grey zone" for Z3, that is either not slow enough to have aerobic endurance building benefits, but not fast enough to have an anaerobic benefit.. is this a myth or is it based on some type of sports science? People like Brian have had success training at a Z3 level, but a ton of literature says Z2 or Z4

It is a myth; the aerobic system will enjoy adapatations over a wide variety of intensities and "zone 3" is no different.  In fact, for most, a marathon would be run at this effort level so for an athlete training for a marathon, training around that intensity is going to be crucial.

I believe that the "grey zone" came about as a way to caution novice athletes when it comes to trying to push every workout.  For a novice athlete, if they push on their easy days they will go a little faster but not recover as well so if they have a fast day, they will not be able to push as hard and end up at the same pace.  As an athlete gains experience (and possibly starts to bump up against time limits in terms of building volume) they will be better able to recover and will have to continually increase training load to see improvements and will probably end up running more in their "grey zone."

Have a look at page 18 (table 2) for an idea of the training adaptations that occur at different training intensities.

Shane

Attachments
----------------
coggan.pdf (98KB - 11 downloads)

2008-12-04 7:51 AM
in reply to: #1838095

Expert
Michiana
gsmacleod - 2008-12-04 8:02 AM

It is a myth; the aerobic system will enjoy adapatations over a wide variety of intensities and "zone 3" is no different.  In fact, for most, a marathon would be run at this effort level so for an athlete training for a marathon, training around that intensity is going to be crucial.

I believe that the "grey zone" came about as a way to caution novice athletes when it comes to trying to push every workout.  For a novice athlete, if they push on their easy days they will go a little faster but not recover as well so if they have a fast day, they will not be able to push as hard and end up at the same pace.  As an athlete gains experience (and possibly starts to bump up against time limits in terms of building volume) they will be better able to recover and will have to continually increase training load to see improvements and will probably end up running more in their "grey zone."

Have a look at page 18 (table 2) for an idea of the training adaptations that occur at different training intensities.

Shane

Yep.  As I got closer to my marathon, a larger portion of my running migrated from Z2 to Z3.  Three of my last 6 long runs included increasing higher intensity portions, culminating with a 20-mile run with the last 10 at "marathon-pace" which was upper Z3.

2008-12-04 10:17 AM
in reply to: #1837835

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
PennState - 2008-12-03 10:29 PM

Lactic acid is defined as a waste product. by some....

Without oxygen, pyruvate is not metabolized by cellular respiration but undergoes a process of fermentation. The pyruvate is not transported into the mitochondrion, but remains in the cytoplasm, where it is converted to waste products that may be removed from the cell. This serves the purpose of oxidizing the hydrogen carriers so that they can perform glycolysis again and removing the excess pyruvate. This waste product varies depending on the organism. In skeletal muscles, the waste product is lactic acid. This type of fermentation is called lactic acid fermentation. In yeast, the waste products are ethanol and carbon dioxide. This type of fermentation is known as alcoholic or ethanol fermentation. The ATP generated in this process is made by substrate phosphorylation, which is phosphorylation that does not involve oxygen. (wiki)

But to be a contrarian with myself.... others do NOT define it this way
But that, it turns out, is all wrong. Lactic acid is actually a fuel, not a caustic waste product.

So my cells are getting drunk while I train? I knew they were up to something. Damn cells....
2008-12-04 10:51 AM
in reply to: #1838139

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
mbmoran2 - 2008-12-04 7:51 AM

gsmacleod - 2008-12-04 8:02 AM

Yep.  As I got closer to my marathon, a larger portion of my running migrated from Z2 to Z3.  Three of my last 6 long runs included increasing higher intensity portions, culminating with a 20-mile run with the last 10 at "marathon-pace" which was upper Z3.

That makes sense. As you adapt you are able to handle higher workloads for longer periods of time. I would have to go back and look but I believe the same thing happened to me. In my long runs leading up to the race I remember holding a bit higher intensity for the entire 20 miles without the legs puttering out. Roll back the clock to when I was building up/ getting in shape and I would have fallen apart after 5 miles at that same intensity. I don't train by all the different zones so I don't know exactly where the z3 falls relative to z2 in my workouts. I just use my hr based on my LT test and base my training on where in that curve I am working.
2008-12-04 10:54 AM

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I still think the problem here is that there is an argument about a term ("base training" that people assume has an accepted definition, whereas it does not seem to have such.

I think this is a part of the whole "periodization" discussion.  Here is a good read on that which might help at least get people on the same page when talking about this topic.  Note that "base" is never mentioned.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What Is Base Building Training? Rss Feed  

of 3