of 3

2010-08-12 12:44 PM
in reply to: #3039890

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ironman on Resume???
roch1009 - 2010-08-12 12:13 PM

B: If you have room for "Hobbies/Activities", you haven't generated enough positive results at your prior positions.  Go find a cost to save or something.

Also disagree with this. I don't think there is anything wrong with demonstrating you are a well-rounded person with a balanced life. An entire section? Probably too much. But one bullet point seems like a good compromise to me.

Edited by lisac957 2010-08-12 12:45 PM

2010-08-12 12:53 PM
in reply to: #3039428

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
triOK - 2010-08-12 8:00 AM I list it on mine and it never fails that I will get asked about it. I think it shows hard work, commitment and dedication... Which are all good things. However if you're ever interviewed by someone in-the-know, they might have issues with your commitment to athletic endeavors and lack thereof to your job.

The leaving for a 2 hour lunch may not be as much of an issue as the employer's consideration that the prospective hire might be prone to leaving early and/or showing up late (in addition to the 2 hour lunch), and using copious amount of sick time for.....cough, cough...training purposes.  Not saying that anyone here intends to do this, but after working in govt I can say I've seen all of the aforementioned; however, the offenders were not training for an ironman, though said offenders had second jobs.  

Edited by betyoursilver 2010-08-12 12:58 PM
2010-08-12 12:58 PM
in reply to: #3039988

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

lisac957 - 2010-08-12 1:44 PM
roch1009 - 2010-08-12 12:13 PM

B: If you have room for "Hobbies/Activities", you haven't generated enough positive results at your prior positions.  Go find a cost to save or something.

Also disagree with this. I don't think there is anything wrong with demonstrating you are a well-rounded person with a balanced life. An entire section? Probably too much. But one bullet point seems like a good compromise to me.

Alright, alright - I'll give you one bullet.  THAT'S IT!!

2010-08-12 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3039307

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I guess you can say it depends on the job, but my personal opinion is that I've never thought it was a good idea to list hobbies on a resume.  

Hobbies are a very personal thing, kind of like religion, politics, etc. and the chances are that it really doesn't have any direct relevance to the job you're applying for.  Why risk having it viewed as a potential negative if you don't have to? 

All that rationalization about how it shows hard work, dedication, accomplishment, etc, really doesn't hold water.  The potential employer wants to know that you're going to be commited to, and perform well in the job you're interviewing for, not how dedicated you are to your hobbies or outside interests.

In my experience I've seen mentioning Ironman/triathlons on a resume generally viewed as a negative, particularly by potential employers who understand the amount of training it takes for an IM.   

In one situation, fair or not fair, it was due to the employer's previous experience with IMer's taking time away from work to train to the point where it directly impacted their job performance.  The worst situation was where one former employee lied about it, claiming they were out of the office every Thursday afternoon "meeting with clients", when they were actually getting in their long ride for the week. 

All t?hat being said, i?t? ??m?i?g?h?t? ?n?o?t??????? hurt to mention outside interests and hobbies during the interview process if the conversation goes in a direction where you think mentioning it might make you a more attractive candidate.  Just use your best judgement.

Mark

2010-08-12 6:57 PM
in reply to: #3039981

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-08-12 8:19 PM
in reply to: #3040990

Pro
Evanston,
trid - 2010-08-12 7:57 PM
lisac957 - 2010-08-12 10:42 AM
trid - 2010-08-12 12:23 PM

if all of your information does not fit on 1 page you have too much fluff

Disagree with this. My professional mentor encouraged me to make mine more than one page - or should I say, did not discourage letting it flow onto a 2nd page -  to show the accomplishments I'd done at each job. If I just listed my employers and not the accomplishments, what does that say? Why would they call me back?

A lack of details sends a clear message, in my opinion - a negative one. Yes there is such a thing as too much information/fluff - but it's a balance like everything.

this is my perspective: i post 1 job online. i close/delete the posting once we have rec'd 500 resumes...which is 7-10 days on average right now. my 5 screeners email me links to top resumes - 5 each. so with my 25 resumes i will choose 5 for interviews. that is pretty straight forward.

why do you think you should get more than 30 seconds for us to review your accomplishments in your resume?

i am just being real with you here.  nothing personal, just trying to help. 

I'm getting the sense that you two are dealing with different hiring processes/industries.  My "industry" is at the other extreme of the scale -- we use a curriculum vitae, which had BETTER exceed one page!

2010-08-12 8:27 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-08-12 8:46 PM

My thought on resumes is that they should be custom built for the job you are applying for.  If you simply update your resume and send it out to 10 different companies for 10 slightly different jobs, then you're making a huge mistake already.  It's sort of like if a football team has the exact same game plan against every team they played. 

If you feel that listing triathlong, marathons, or Ironmans will be to your advantage for a specific job/company...then go for it. 

I believe in the 1 page, very clean resume (unless of course you know the company prefers 2-3 page resumes...but when in doubt, I assume they don't).  The job of the resume is to get you an interview...not to get you the job. 

I want to "wet the appetite" of the employer with a short, brief snapshot of myself and make him think..."hey, this guy sounds interesting.  I don't know enough about him now, but I want to meet him and learn more".  If I can get the interview...then it's my job from there to sell myself with the details. 

So I usually end up with a 2 page resume, and have to cut out one page.  Space is extremely valuable...so I have to choose carefully what I cut out and what I leave in.  For me personally, I would have to have inside information that the employer is an active athlete for me to include triathlons as a "interest and hobby" on my resume.  Or maybe if I'm applying for a position with the WTC...LOL.

If you do get the interview...chances are that the interviewer will either ask you about outside interests, or give you the opportunity to drive the conversation off topic.  Again...it's you're job to feel this out and determine if it's to your benefit.  The same game plan does not work all the time.

Edited by tri808 2010-08-12 9:08 PM
2010-08-12 8:57 PM
in reply to: #3040990

Master
Beijing
trid - 2010-08-11 7:57 PM

Disagree with this. My professional mentor encouraged me to make mine more than one page - or should I say, did not discourage letting it flow onto a 2nd page -  to show the accomplishments I'd done at each job. If I just listed my employers and not the accomplishments, what does that say? Why would they call me back?

A lack of details sends a clear message, in my opinion - a negative one. Yes there is such a thing as too much information/fluff - but it's a balance like everything.

this is my perspective: i post 1 job online. i close/delete the posting once we have rec'd 500 resumes...which is 7-10 days on average right now. my 5 screeners email me links to top resumes - 5 each. so with my 25 resumes i will choose 5 for interviews. that is pretty straight forward.

why do you think you should get more than 30 seconds for us to review your accomplishments in your resume?

this.   I'm part of our college recruiting team at my alma mater (Rose-Hulman)  If you show up with a two-pager, I'm miffed.  One page, Employment history and Relevant coursework for the kind of job you want.   IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT KIND OF JOB YOU WANT, I CAN'T FIND A JOB FOR YOU.

Activities?  Fine.  One or two lines at the bottom so that I can chat you up to determine a "culture fit" if I think you're technically qualified.
2010-08-12 9:35 PM

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
For me, as others have said ironman can show that the person will be in late, leave early and take 2 hour lunch breaks.  If interviewing I would be looking for indication of whether they are single or family person and if a family person would be thinking they would be in the leave late, big lunch break camp.

Putting triathlons on would be a better option.

Note from personal experience, knew someone else hiring who saw a candidate with triathlons on his resume.  Did a quick search of the results (we only have 2 main series here in this city), for the season he was DNS for 3 races and DNF for one other - the guy did not get through to interview mainly on this.
2010-08-12 9:42 PM
in reply to: #3041103

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
CitySky - 2010-08-12 9:19 PM
trid - 2010-08-12 7:57 PM

I'm getting the sense that you two are dealing with different hiring processes/industries.  My "industry" is at the other extreme of the scale -- we use a curriculum vitae, which had BETTER exceed one page!

x2.  My CV is around 10-11 pages long, and I'm not even in academic medicine (although I do a lot of teaching).  If I had publications, it would be even longer. If I applied for a new position with a single page, it would raise a lot of eyebrows but not too many doors!

2010-08-12 9:53 PM
in reply to: #3041228

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Yeah, maybe this is a different thread.. but how does one manage a single page resume?  Really tiny font? I am serious!  My name and address, school (just BA and MA), plus last few pertinent jobs with about 3 "highlights" per job covers the first page.  I finally cut down my preceeding pertinent positions to title and company only, after the most recent 3 positions, and it still covers too much real estate.

For the HR and hiring professionals around here:   How small of a font is okay (talking non-CV, non-academic jobs)?  How much detail did you need? 

2010-08-12 10:12 PM

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I would never go smaller than 10-point type for the body of the text.

Regarding the number of pages, it depends on the candidate. If I'm looking at the resume of an intern candidate, or someone with a year or two out of college, two pages is going to be excessive. For someone at VP or Director, or even Manager-level in some cases, two pages is neither unusual nor inappropriate for someone who's been in the business for a number of years, especially since it's common in my industry to move around from company to company.

You know what I hate, though? When people put an"Objective" on the top of their resume. Your objective is to get the job you're applying for, which goes without saying. End of story. Ditto "references available on request."

As for the Ironman thing, I'd say it's fine. I don't mind if people put a line about their interests or accomplishments on a resume. It's a little dicey, though, because you never know how people are going to judge you. If you say you like wine-tasting, is the recruiter going to read that as "sophisticated and cultured" or "drinks too much"?
2010-08-12 10:37 PM
in reply to: #3041267

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
jmk-brooklyn - 2010-08-12 11:12 PM I would never go smaller than 10-point type for the body of the text. Regarding the number of pages, it depends on the candidate. If I'm looking at the resume of an intern candidate, or someone with a year or two out of college, two pages is going to be excessive. For someone at VP or Director, or even Manager-level in some cases, two pages is neither unusual nor inappropriate for someone who's been in the business for a number of years, especially since it's common in my industry to move around from company to company. You know what I hate, though? When people put an"Objective" on the top of their resume. Your objective is to get the job you're applying for, which goes without saying. End of story. Ditto "references available on request." As for the Ironman thing, I'd say it's fine. I don't mind if people put a line about their interests or accomplishments on a resume. It's a little dicey, though, because you never know how people are going to judge you. If you say you like wine-tasting, is the recruiter going to read that as "sophisticated and cultured" or "drinks too much"?

Jonah, x2.

I'm fairly senior (insert joke here) and have to carry 4 different summaries...just depends on the recruiting process. 1) an executive bio. One paragraph. 2) A 'summary resume', front-and-back of one page.  Companies, accomplishments, results only (I've done 10 week-engagements as a consultant and 3 different multi-year company jobs, all significant), plus a summary of credentials, and  3) A full-blown resume / CV - 1st page includes an exective summary with capability, remainder is accomplishments / experience / credentials - total 5 pages, and 4) a plain-text, no-bullet, full blown resume (same as 3, except for format) for the cut-and-paste application sites, or the upload-and-parse sites, total 5 pages.  Pain in the to keep them all synched.

The common denominator...none of them will have 'triathlon' or anything personal on the resume.  If they care, they'll pick up on the Livestrong bracelet during the in-person interview(s). But to Jonah's point (and a couple others), the more junior the candidate, the less experience and accomplishment they may have, and the more personal information may tell that candidate's story....so there may be a place for it in those cases...

Not that it matters, because...Any recruiter worth their salt will have googled you. And BT being as popular as it is will have your blog near the top of the results, and if you've put any of your tri-exploits on Facebook, that'll be near the top, too. Don't waste the space on the resume for something they'll feel good about figuring out for themselves.   
2010-08-13 1:58 AM
in reply to: #3041239

BikerGrrrl - 2010-08-12 5:53 PM

Yeah, maybe this is a different thread.. but how does one manage a single page resume?  Really tiny font? I am serious!  My name and address, school (just BA and MA), plus last few pertinent jobs with about 3 "highlights" per job covers the first page.  I finally cut down my preceeding pertinent positions to title and company only, after the most recent 3 positions, and it still covers too much real estate.

For the HR and hiring professionals around here:   How small of a font is okay (talking non-CV, non-academic jobs)?  How much detail did you need? 

I think all of what you listed below fits on one page in 12 point font.  Again...my take on resume's is not to tell your employer every detail of what you have done in the past 5-10 years.  It's just to give them enough interest in you to get an interview.  I've taken resume classes where they teach you how to consolidate a 4 sentence description into one sentence.  Then when you read both...you realize it says the exact same thing. 

2010-08-13 2:30 AM
in reply to: #3041291

Melon Presser
rkreuser - 2010-08-13 11:37 AM
Not that it matters, because...Any recruiter worth their salt will have googled you. And BT being as popular as it is will have your blog near the top of the results, and if you've put any of your tri-exploits on Facebook, that'll be near the top, too. Don't waste the space on the resume for something they'll feel good about figuring out for themselves.   

OUR BLOGS ARE GOOGLABLE? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH ......

Oh. Good thing I'm only ever going to work for myself again, or possibly be part of an academic department (which, if in the West, they don't care how weird you are).

I've been at both ends (and in between) of the resume writing and reviewing process, as well as being a professional resume writer and editor, and I can't express "industry, institution, posting specific" enough. And if it is specific, it fits on one page (exceptions, as said, for seniority sometimes. But again--industry, institution, posting specific.)

2010-08-13 8:25 AM

Extreme Veteran
Jakarta Selatan, Unknown
It really depends on the type of job you are applying. By adding personal information, you allow your employers to "involves" in your life (not that it's bad, some think it's harassing their privacy).

Companies would question your commitment to the job and/or to your personal hobby, and often they take it very serious.

If you decided to include Ironman race in your resume, then you need to explain what it is to avoid confusion.
2010-08-13 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3041156

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
moondawg14 - 2010-08-12 8:57 PM

this.   I'm part of our college recruiting team at my alma mater (Rose-Hulman)  If you show up with a two-pager, I'm miffed.  One page, Employment history and Relevant coursework for the kind of job you want.   IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT KIND OF JOB YOU WANT, I CAN'T FIND A JOB FOR YOU.

Activities?  Fine.  One or two lines at the bottom so that I can chat you up to determine a "culture fit" if I think you're technically qualified.

Oh I agree... a college kid with a 2-page resume is silly.
But what about when you have 10 or 15 years experience? With multiple jobs in your history? If you leave stuff out, you'll get questioned. If you include everything, apparently it's too much. Where is the balance?

Another question. If I simply listed my past employer and titles, with NO explanation of what I did or accomplished - are you two saying that is sufficient? What would you call me back based on (or not), exactly?

And anymore, online applications (in my experience) involves pasting paragraphs into fields on a web page. So it's not really measured in "pages" anymore at a lot of larger companies.

2010-08-13 10:24 AM

Denver
Wow, thanks for all the feedback guys, I really appreciate it! I think in the end I will just post Endurance Races or Triathlons on my resume. If the interviewer wants to dive into detail about it than I can go into my IM journey, but if not, its on there. I don't guess there's really any right or wrong answer, but I do agree it probably is job specific. My peticular is a corporate white collar job, so I think listing Triathlon or Endurance Sports will suffice for now. 

Now.........Anyone hiring in Denver??????  : )  
2010-08-13 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3041867

Master
Beijing
lisac957 - 2010-08-12 10:37 AM
moondawg14 - 2010-08-12 8:57 PM

Oh I agree... a college kid with a 2-page resume is silly.
But what about when you have 10 or 15 years experience? With multiple jobs in your history? If you leave stuff out, you'll get questioned. If you include everything, apparently it's too much. Where is the balance?

Another question. If I simply listed my past employer and titles, with NO explanation of what I did or accomplished - are you two saying that is sufficient? What would you call me back based on (or not), exactly?

And anymore, online applications (in my experience) involves pasting paragraphs into fields on a web page. So it's not really measured in "pages" anymore at a lot of larger companies.

At the bottom of the first page, duh! :^)   I get what you're saying.   It IS possible to get all the important stuff on one page. (unless you're some self-important doctor with a god-complex and 14 more pages)
2010-08-13 2:20 PM
in reply to: #3042592

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I had to look at my resume again and completely forgot that I have been trying a different tactic - that takes much more room.  I have been addressing the main points of the job requirements with details (number of years, examples) for each a the top.  I figured if the job description spells out "must have 5+ years managing professional level staff members" then I wouldn't require that the recruiter go hunting for where/how I did that. 

Then I post the job history, with some less details actually if the details are above.

Then education.

That might seem odd, but I apply for jobs in a really specific field where everyone has the same degree.  Random folks don't apply for these jobs, the qualifications are really specific.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2010-08-13 2:21 PM

2010-08-13 2:36 PM
in reply to: #3042592

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
moondawg14 - 2010-08-13 2:46 PM

At the bottom of the first page, duh! :^)   I get what you're saying.   It IS possible to get all the important stuff on one page. (unless you're some self-important doctor with a god-complex and 14 more pages)

pffft.  I don't have a god complex.  God has a doctor complex.
2010-08-14 8:27 AM
in reply to: #3039326

New Haven, CT
No - it looks weird, unless you are apply for a fitness related job.  Limit your activities to charitable work.  anecdote: i'm a lawyer.  my firm is looking for an associate.  i was just sent a resume by a woman who had good credentials then listed her activities: power lifting/played on boys highschool football team.  She seems to be trying to say she will be tough and can mix it up with the boys.  But it looks weird, her professional credentials will get her an interview but highlighting irrelevant things is distracting.  (I was captain of my HS football team and don't list that.)
2010-08-14 8:30 AM
in reply to: #3039398

New Haven, CT
the bear - 2010-08-12 10:51 AM As others have indicated, at the bottom of my resume, after Education and before References, I have a section for "Organizations and Interests" where I list the non-profits I work with and positions I hold with them, then lists my interests. Which include running (15 marathons), cycling, and triathlon. Certainly of I had done an IM it would be on there.

this is how to do it.
2010-08-14 10:04 AM

Elite
I would avoid the inclusion myself.  I don't want anything on that resume that can be perceived as negative.  Here in the BT universe, being physically active, living a healthy lifestyle, etc. is seen (and should be) in a positive light.  I can't guarantee the man or woman responsible for providing me the opportunity to work for them is going to see things the same way. 

I wouldn't even mention it in an interview unless I was directly asked, and even then I would craft my answer in a fashion that could only help my prospects at landing said job.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Ironman on Resume??? Rss Feed  

of 3