of 190

2013-01-02 1:17 PM
in reply to: #4558142

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia - OPEN
bzgl40 - 2013-01-02 2:02 PM

ligersandtions - 2013-01-02 11:43 AM and partially because I'm not entirely convinced that a group setting where drafting would basically be required is really the best way to prepare for non-draft legal triathlons.

I've been pushed my hardest in group rides where I try and hang on to those fast pups.  The more I tried the better I got.  I know that riding in those group rides would give me a way harder workout then if I just rode on my own.  That being said yes, you should get use to your pacing without drafting but you can actually do that in groupr rides as well by riding off the front or just dropping back the required distance (and your going to want to do that at the tail end of course).  I wouldn't shy away from group rides cause we cannot draft in races. 

I have had the same experience and thus the reason I am sold on group riding. It pushes me to keep up with those folks that are stronger, faster, etc.

2013-01-02 1:19 PM
in reply to: #4558023

User image

KateTri1 - 2013-01-02 8:04 AM

So.... long rides.

I've pretty much been in the 20 to 30 mile range but next month I am gonna have to do some that are a lot longer. 

Do you guys do a lot of long rides in groups.. alone?

Have you ever gone crazy on a long ride.. alone?

The 50 mile (which is pretty long to me) distance kind of freaks me out. 

I usually prefer some type of outside motivation or a "carrot" when I ride long.  Riding with a group helps with that.  Or during tri season, I will start with my group, but just keep going on my own while they regroup with the slower riders.  I'll usually plan to ride about 5-10 miles farther than the group, and then my goal becomes to catch them on the way back.  Helps me because it allows me to ride on my aerobars almost the whole ride and go at my own pace rather than having to ride a paceline with the rest of the group. 

2013-01-02 1:22 PM
in reply to: #4543084

User image

Expert

Thanks so much! Lot's of great advice.

I am getting my new tri-bike next week and will post pics. It will be interesting to see how it compares with my roadie that has shorty aero bars.

It's a Felt B16. 

2013-01-02 1:31 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
KateTri1 - 2013-01-02 10:04 AM

So.... long rides.

I've pretty much been in the 20 to 30 mile range but next month I am gonna have to do some that are a lot longer. 

I used to do most of my riding alone. It is easier to stick to intervals, goal pace etc when you are solo plus you can ride down in your aerobars all the time. However, I didn't really improve as a cyclist until I started group riding. I do a Saturday group ride that is hard and fast 60-80 miles, I try to go as often as possible because it makes me work hard. My other rides are shorter and either alone, with the hubby or a couple of friends. In summer I can jump into some weekday group rides because they ride early. I'm sold on group riding now and find riding alone to be boring. It probably doesn't make for the best triathlon training.

One you get over 50 miles, it's amazing how you can add to your distance, next you find yourself doing metric centuries without a thought and I got pretty used to the 85 mile Saturday route (about 4 hours) this past year.

Congrats on your new bike. I love Felt, I have the DA and an F5 road bike.

2013-01-02 2:05 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

I'm back from a self imposed web hiatus.  Got sick right after Xmas and did no training for the past week, and no web surfing - and I come back to find you guys are up to 24 pages + Fred is back.  You miss a lot in a short time!

Cancelled my gym membership this afternoon, after joining a different gym that is set to open in a few weeks.  The new one is close to home, but this means all swimming will be in the morning, so I'm going to have to force myself to be a morning person.  Lunch time will be for running only.

Plan to start running with the LRS again with their HM group.  They started a couple of weeks ago, and I'll just try to slot myself in starting tonight. 

2013-01-02 2:19 PM

User image

Expert

Sorry to bug you guys with more questions but, browsing  X-Lab items on Amazon for a rear mounted bottle holder. I like the XLAB SUPER WING, Black  and the XLAB Gorilla XT Carbon Cage (Black).

What do you guys think? 

2013-01-02 2:29 PM
in reply to: #4558313

User image

KateTri1 - 2013-01-02 10:19 AM

Sorry to bug you guys with more questions but, browsing  X-Lab items on Amazon for a rear mounted bottle holder. I like the XLAB SUPER WING, Black  and the XLAB Gorilla XT Carbon Cage (Black).

What do you guys think? 

I have the super wing.  It does the job, but frankly, I don't really "need" it.  I can do just fine with 2 bottles since there are so many places I can stop off to refill along my routes.  I never use it for racing (since aid stations are so frequent), but will use it sometimes for training simply because I can't mount a decent size saddle bag to the back of my P2 seatpost.  So I basically use it to mount a bigger saddle bag...no bottle cages.  I tend to take a lot of stuff with me during training.  2 extra tubes, patch kit, multi tool, 3 CO2, inflator, levers, etc...so I need a big saddle bag.

As far as the gorilla cages.  I personally have not used them.  I've been using specialized rib cages (about $18 each) and have never come close to launching a bottle.  Lots of people swear by them.

2013-01-02 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4558281

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
GoFaster - 2013-01-02 4:05 PM

I'm back from a self imposed web hiatus.  Got sick right after Xmas and did no training for the past week, and no web surfing - and I come back to find you guys are up to 24 pages + Fred is back.  You miss a lot in a short time!

Cancelled my gym membership this afternoon, after joining a different gym that is set to open in a few weeks.  The new one is close to home, but this means all swimming will be in the morning, so I'm going to have to force myself to be a morning person.  Lunch time will be for running only.

Plan to start running with the LRS again with their HM group.  They started a couple of weeks ago, and I'll just try to slot myself in starting tonight. 

Welcome to the early morning crowd Neil!    

Glad to see you back, sorry to hear you were sick.  I hope it didn't stop you from enjoying some good meals and family time.

2013-01-02 3:26 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
KateTri1 - 2013-01-02 3:19 PM

What do you guys think? 

Personally, I saved a lot of money by just using a plastic cage and zip ties.  This won't work for all saddles, depending on how the rails/seat are configured, but it did for mine.

2013-01-02 5:39 PM
in reply to: #4558092

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
ligersandtions - 2013-01-02 2:37 PM

Back to the real world after 11 days of being on vacation....visiting the in-laws in the PNW and then a quick stop in LA for New Years with friends.  Being on vacation makes coming back to the world of working difficult....but I'm glad to get back to my normal eating habits (tons of produce and a little bit of lean meat) and am really looking forward to getting back onto my bike.  Spin bike saddles = incredibly uncomfortable!

I'm hoping to absorb much of the good cycling information everyone is throwing out!  I've only been riding less than a year....and recently discovered how much better trainer rides are with TrainerRoad (for me, at least).  I'm doing Jorge's program and feel like I'm making pretty good progress, but I'm honestly not entirely sure what to do when I finish it....and need to start training for upcoming races.  Thoughts?

Are you going to follow a training plan for your races or just planning on making something up?  If following a plan, how much time between when you will finish Jorge's program and the start of your plan?

Also, just out of curiosity, at what point did you feel that a power meter would be beneficial for you?  I feel like I still have a lot of improvements that I can make without investing in a power meter (especially given that I can use TR's virtual power while riding on the trainer), but I can see myself eventually wanting to move that way.

I think it can become beneficial when you decide you are willing to spend the time to learn how to use it properly and not just as a fancy bike computer (that's really all I did for the first year).  Just based on a quick review of your logs, you are getting a taste of it from TR so you can see some of the benefits like having a specific power number to chase for intervals and have something concrete to measure improvements. 

That's a bit of a vague answer but I think it's important to know that there is a bit of a learning curve to being able to understand what it's telling you and what to do with the data.  But, we're here to help if we can!

2013-01-02 5:42 PM
in reply to: #4557709

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
ratherbeswimming - 2013-01-02 12:02 PM
cdban66 - 2013-01-02 10:41 AM
ratherbeswimming - 2013-01-02 10:03 AM

Woke up to a text from my mom. Her and my dad are sick, and might not even fly to Florida for the Ragnar race. I hope they're just being dramatic because (1) our 12 person team would become a 10 person team, and (2), I'd really like to see them before I go to Basic and OCS.

Anyone want to come to FL and run a few miles? Your hotel and ground transportation would be covered

OK, when is the race? The "come to Fl" part is covered and if I can fit it into my schedule, I'll be driving there.

Friday-Saturday: http://www.ragnarrelay.com/race/floridakeys

Ok, I finally looked at the details of the race and that looks awesome!  Have fun!!

2013-01-02 6:23 PM
in reply to: #4558747

User image

axteraa - 2013-01-02 1:39 PM

Also, just out of curiosity, at what point did you feel that a power meter would be beneficial for you?  I feel like I still have a lot of improvements that I can make without investing in a power meter (especially given that I can use TR's virtual power while riding on the trainer), but I can see myself eventually wanting to move that way.

I think it can become beneficial when you decide you are willing to spend the time to learn how to use it properly and not just as a fancy bike computer (that's really all I did for the first year).  Just based on a quick review of your logs, you are getting a taste of it from TR so you can see some of the benefits like having a specific power number to chase for intervals and have something concrete to measure improvements. 

That's a bit of a vague answer but I think it's important to know that there is a bit of a learning curve to being able to understand what it's telling you and what to do with the data.  But, we're here to help if we can!

I agree with Arend.  Getting the benefit out of a power meter is simply a matter of using it properly.  TrainerRoad is an excellent way to use power because it helps you calculate your threshold power, and all the workouts are based off of that.  But once you're on the open road, and you don't have a laptop telling you what power to ride at, you have to do a little more thinking for yourself on how hard you are going to ride and planning where your intervals will be.

Overall, I love my power meter.  It's a great motivator for me.  For others, they don't like it so much.  Macca refuses to use one, and some very fast athletes on BT (Fred and Bryan) have experimented with them and chose not to use them going forward.  Some people just rather go off of feel than a metric.  That is the one downside to a power meter.  It only measures the force you are putting into the pedals/crank/hub.  It has no idea what the weather is like, or if you're sick or having a really good day.  It's for that reason that I use power in addition to HR and RPE.  It's not only important to monitor my wattage, but also how I feel while putting out that wattage.

2013-01-02 7:01 PM
in reply to: #4558820

User image

Extreme Veteran
tri808 - 2013-01-02 6:23 PM
axteraa - 2013-01-02 1:39 PM

I agree with Arend.  Getting the benefit out of a power meter is simply a matter of using it properly.  TrainerRoad is an excellent way to use power because it helps you calculate your threshold power, and all the workouts are based off of that.  But once you're on the open road, and you don't have a laptop telling you what power to ride at, you have to do a little more thinking for yourself on how hard you are going to ride and planning where your intervals will be.

Overall, I love my power meter.  It's a great motivator for me.  For others, they don't like it so much.  Macca refuses to use one, and some very fast athletes on BT (Fred and Bryan) have experimented with them and chose not to use them going forward.  Some people just rather go off of feel than a metric.  That is the one downside to a power meter.  It only measures the force you are putting into the pedals/crank/hub.  It has no idea what the weather is like, or if you're sick or having a really good day.  It's for that reason that I use power in addition to HR and RPE.  It's not only important to monitor my wattage, but also how I feel while putting out that wattage.

I did my first season without a PM. Then during the winter between 1st and 2nd season my brother in law lent me a computrainer and I did Jorge's plan with power and saw huge improvements. Huge. Gigantic. This is basically what you are getting from TR, minus a few bells as whistles. So you are on the right path.

But when came time to race my first HIM, I wanted a tool to help me pace the bike properly. This was of incredible value. Yes ,guys like Bryan, with their experience don't need a PM. But for a newbie to go into a race knowing an accurate FTP and having done a few race rehearsals at a target wattage, the unknown of a first HIM is significantly cut. Very significantly.

So I disagree you need to learn everything about it for it to be useful. You need to do a few tests, know your FTP and do some race rehearsals at a target percentage of FTP and then execute the race at that target. Yes, other bad things can happen, but proper pacing of the bike on HIM and greater distance is critical and a PM helps a lot.

With time you then learn all the ins and outs of using a PM and you can really start to fine tune your training. I have done 3 seasons with a PM and I am still learning.

With TR indoor and a HRM/RPE outdoor you can do a lot to help pacing but nothing beats a PM for the person without the years of riding experience.

IMHO

Edited by marcag 2013-01-02 7:02 PM
2013-01-02 8:58 PM

User image

Agree Marc,

The first steps to using a power meter are fairly simple.  But make no mistake it takes some user interaction, otherwise it is just a fancy bike computer.  It's not like a set of aerobars where you just get on them and ride to see the benefit.  I'd say if you like trainerroad, you're probably a good candidate for a power meter.

2013-01-02 11:03 PM

Master
Northern IL
Use power to drive yourself in training, but also to help develop your feel of the various efforts. As you get better utilizing the info, it will guide more than control what you're doing. Mine died within a few minutes of a challenging HIM last year, but I just rode at my long ride effort and came out fine. I also knew rather well when I wasn't going to hit the targeted effort for a race, and was able to dial it back appropriately and still do ok. It's going to take time to develop this feel though. It might take a couple years.
2013-01-03 5:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I agree with Ben and Jason.

But unlike Ben, I am not yet able to go by RPE even though I have been using the PM for 3 seasons. I just end up going out too hard. This is a serious flaw I have. I have a very bad sense of measure. I need these tools to hold back or I would blow up on the run and bike.

But without a PM, I could pace myself properly by HR. I have learned the power to HR equivalences quite well and if my PM died in a race, I could fall back on my HR.

I do believe someone can train all winter with a PM/Computrainer/Trainer road and then fall back to a HRM in the summer. Not perfect, but better than nothing.But they have to be very closely watching Power and HR while training.

I would say it works for long rides, tempo rides and long intervals. Guys like Brian have their HR zones so tuned in, they don't need a PM

2013-01-03 5:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Forgot to say this

Thank you Jason for starting this group.

2013-01-03 5:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I am not sure I mentioned this

I have some coupons for 2 free weeks of Training Peaks premium. If someone in this group wants one, just fire me a PM,

Another great topic is training metrics. If you guys wants we can post some of the things we look at and debate on.

Just an idea.

2013-01-03 5:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
KateTri1 - 2013-01-02 2:19 PM

What do you guys think? 

I have both and am very happy with them. I use them for long training rides where there is no support. I also have the bag and the thingy that holds the inflator and CO2 cartridges. I have raced with it in the past but do not intend to this year. I have some doubts how much drag the whole thing brings, but I think that's just me being obsessive.

2013-01-03 7:25 AM
in reply to: #4558820

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

tri808 - 2013-01-02 4:23 PM

That is the one downside to a power meter.  It only measures the force you are putting into the pedals/crank/hub.  It has no idea what the weather is like, or if you're sick or having a really good day.  It's for that reason that I use power in addition to HR and RPE.  It's not only important to monitor my wattage, but also how I feel while putting out that wattage.

That is a really good point.  My A race (assuming everything goes well with my knee) is Vineman 70.3 in Northern California -- I'll be doing all of my training in the Houston area.  I'm fairly certain that whatever power output is attainable in hot, humid Houston will be very different from what I'd be able to do in the much cooler climate of NorCal. 

If someone were to train and race in dramatically different climates, would they end up relying more on RPE/HR versus the PM output?  Or maybe given enough experience, they'd have metrics worked out for various climates/elevations/etc?

2013-01-03 7:30 AM
in reply to: #4559340

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
marcag - 2013-01-03 3:41 AM
KateTri1 - 2013-01-02 2:19 PM

What do you guys think? 

I have both and am very happy with them. I use them for long training rides where there is no support. I also have the bag and the thingy that holds the inflator and CO2 cartridges. I have raced with it in the past but do not intend to this year. I have some doubts how much drag the whole thing brings, but I think that's just me being obsessive.

I also have both and have been happy with them.  I've never launched a bottle....and tend to ride on some bumpy roads in TX.  I also have the thing that holds the inflator and a couple CO2 cartridges (sometimes the CO2 cartridges work their way loose, so I just try to remember to tighten them before the start of each ride). 

I'll be racing with mine....I'm sure whatever drag is present will be the least of my concerns....my engine needs more work before I concern myself with the few seconds that this might cause me

2013-01-03 7:58 AM
in reply to: #4559330

User image

Elite
Ontario
marcag - 2013-01-03 6:17 AM

I have some coupons for 2 free weeks of Training Peaks premium. If someone in this group wants one, just fire me a PM,

Another great topic is training metrics. If you guys wants we can post some of the things we look at and debate on.

Just an idea.

I like this idea Marc.  I don't think I'm well enough versed in some of the metrics like TSS to get the benefit out of the numbers.

2013-01-03 8:30 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Finally over the never-ending head cold!!  I thought my 6 mile race on New Years day might set me back but got it all out!

To welcome myself back to the pain cave...I had 3x15' @95-100%FTP this morning at 5:15 a.m.  A really pleasant way to wake myself up LOL.  That third interval the clock moves backwards I swear!

Struggled to hold 95% but glad my energy is almost back to normal and can hit workouts again.

2013-01-03 8:46 AM
in reply to: #4559468

Master
Northern IL
GoFaster - 2013-01-03 7:58 AM
marcag - 2013-01-03 6:17 AM

Just an idea.

I like this idea Marc.  I don't think I'm well enough versed in some of the metrics like TSS to get the benefit out of the numbers.

I like it too. Some of these terms can literally take up an entire chapter of a book, but at least knowing something about them can be helpful. If someone really wants to get into it, then a book like Training & Racing With A Powermeter is very useful. Even if you just read a few chapters of it. Some of them I'm still not likely to use, at least not for awhile.

TSS (Training Stress Score) basically uses both Intensity (IF) and duration of the ride to give a score for the *size* of the workout. Instead of just using miles or time, it factors in the intensity as well, since going harder means more effort was put into it. This helps to quantify the physiological cost of more effort or more time, or however the two are moved around.

It doesn't really describe the type of workout it was, but just the size of it, so to speak.

ETA: So a 15x1', 2 x 20' or basic aerobic riding can all be made about the same size in terms of physiological cost, but they affect different things due to the intensities they are ridden at.

Edited by brigby1 2013-01-03 9:15 AM
2013-01-03 9:08 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
KateTri1 - 2013-01-02 12:04 PM

So.... long rides.

If possible it would be great if you could ride with others when you are going longer, really helps pass the time and miles.

When I am doing a distance significantly longer than I have done before I prefer a sponsored ride.  Last summer my long ride was going to be 82, we missed a turn so it ended up being 78 but my longest ride before that was 60 so it was a pretty good jump.  For my first century I will definitely be riding with a group.

I will admit to going a little crazy the first time I did 50 or 55, can't remember but my longest distance before that was 25. This was July in Houston I was on a sponsored ride but not with anybody and very uncomfortable and hot - 98 degrees or so.  I was talking to myself and the animals on the side of the road, felt like the longest ride of my life.  That is the same ride I did 78 last year and it was awesome.  Great company can make all the difference. Of course fitness helps as well.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 190