BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2014-04-27 1:12 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2

Originally posted by Richardsdrr In other news, wee man is four tomorrow, so we're currently going around the house collecting up all his dummies to sacrifice them to the dummy fairy. Gonna be fun putting him to bed tomorrow.

Aw, can't you leave him just one to grow out of?  Might make bedtime a little easier...

2014-04-27 1:32 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
Originally posted by QueenZipp

I have to b*tch about my LBS.......I recently had Sweet Mama in for a tune up and specifically sacked them to run the cables as the housing was cracked.  They ONLY replaced the housing.

I got a few miles into my ride today and Jen commented that she was sounding grumpy.  She was better than she was all winter on the trainer....Got a little further up and I lost my ability to shift.  Pulled into the first rest area and asked if there was a mechanic.  The SAG wagon was coming in with supplies & the driver tried to get her into a little easier gear....I took their phone number and headed on with Jen having decided I would only do the half metric with her given these issues....Got about 1/4 mile away and knew it wasn't happening.  The route was pretty hilly and in one gear my legs would have been toast.  I turned back to the rest stop & Jen kept on.  Driver took me to a different rest area where a mechanic was set up.  It took him a while with old dental tools to get the snapped piece out of the head of the shifter.  He was pretty nice, learned a lot from him.  Glad I had the forethought to put money in my jersey cause I would have been screwed otherwise...Drivers backtracked the route so I could find Jen and ride in with her.  In the end, I rode *maybe* 20 miles.....the ride benefitted a free clinic so I am fine having paid that entry fee for such a short day but I am really pissed off at LBS for not running the cables like I asked.

That really sucks. Glad you got to enjoy a little of the ride.
2014-04-27 1:44 PM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Denver, CO

Good race today.  Chilly, rain off and on, flat course, average pace 11.78 mpm.  Not bad for doing 3 min run/2 min walk intervals!

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=515085&posts=1&page=1

2014-04-27 2:03 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

I did the 1/2 marathon walk rather than the regular ol' 1/2 marathon yesterday. I have been dealing with WAAAY to much lung gunk and sniffles to push it with a big run. So I toned it down a bit. The "best" part? So I walked 13.1 miles, and my time was 3:20:30...only a little slower than my average 13.1 mile run!!! Eesh. I NEED to train more!!! Now for the even more interesting part: I was 4th in my age group, 48th  (out of 288) among the women, and 74th (out of 366) overall. So if I want to reach my goals (i.e. placing within top 100 overall....) I just need to do walking events??? 

Ahh well. Luckily, I actually felt really good during the race (lung gunk- wise), and don't feel any worse today. I was originally going to do a trail 1/2 today, but common sense (for the first time ever!) prevailed. I am chilling at home instead--letting the massive blister on the sole of my left foot heal. Speaking of:

Over the past 6 months, when I have done any runs of 10 miles or more, I get blisters on the soles of my feet. I originally did with some old running shoes, so I went out in new shoes (after breaking them in on some 10k's and stuff) and still got blisters. So I don't believe it is the shoes. I usually run is socks that are pretty thin, with very little cushion, and not cotton. Could the socks be the culprit? Or do I just need to toughen up my feet? Any advice??? I do want to run more, but this issue makes it rather difficult!

2014-04-27 2:45 PM
in reply to: kgore

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by kgore

I did the 1/2 marathon walk rather than the regular ol' 1/2 marathon yesterday. I have been dealing with WAAAY to much lung gunk and sniffles to push it with a big run. So I toned it down a bit. The "best" part? So I walked 13.1 miles, and my time was 3:20:30...only a little slower than my average 13.1 mile run!!! Eesh. I NEED to train more!!! Now for the even more interesting part: I was 4th in my age group, 48th  (out of 288) among the women, and 74th (out of 366) overall. So if I want to reach my goals (i.e. placing within top 100 overall....) I just need to do walking events??? 

Ahh well. Luckily, I actually felt really good during the race (lung gunk- wise), and don't feel any worse today. I was originally going to do a trail 1/2 today, but common sense (for the first time ever!) prevailed. I am chilling at home instead--letting the massive blister on the sole of my left foot heal. Speaking of:

Over the past 6 months, when I have done any runs of 10 miles or more, I get blisters on the soles of my feet. I originally did with some old running shoes, so I went out in new shoes (after breaking them in on some 10k's and stuff) and still got blisters. So I don't believe it is the shoes. I usually run is socks that are pretty thin, with very little cushion, and not cotton. Could the socks be the culprit? Or do I just need to toughen up my feet? Any advice??? I do want to run more, but this issue makes it rather difficult!

Good job listening to your body and not letting your competitiveness drive the day!  Glad the lung gunk didn't slow you down too much.  Maybe the key to get into the top 100 is to enter smaller races?   Sorry, can't offer much help on the blister front other than to say, "That sucks!"  Hope the blister and the lungs/sinuses heal up soon.

2014-04-27 2:47 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by jbwills

I have to b*tch about my LBS.......I recently had Sweet Mama in for a tune up and specifically sacked them to run the cables as the housing was cracked.  They ONLY replaced the housing.

I got a few miles into my ride today and Jen commented that she was sounding grumpy.  She was better than she was all winter on the trainer....Got a little further up and I lost my ability to shift.  Pulled into the first rest area and asked if there was a mechanic.  The SAG wagon was coming in with supplies & the driver tried to get her into a little easier gear....I took their phone number and headed on with Jen having decided I would only do the half metric with her given these issues....Got about 1/4 mile away and knew it wasn't happening.  The route was pretty hilly and in one gear my legs would have been toast.  I turned back to the rest stop & Jen kept on.  Driver took me to a different rest area where a mechanic was set up.  It took him a while with old dental tools to get the snapped piece out of the head of the shifter.  He was pretty nice, learned a lot from him.  Glad I had the forethought to put money in my jersey cause I would have been screwed otherwise...Drivers backtracked the route so I could find Jen and ride in with her.  In the end, I rode *maybe* 20 miles.....the ride benefitted a free clinic so I am fine having paid that entry fee for such a short day but I am really pissed off at LBS for not running the cables like I asked.

How irritating!  If it were me, I'd go back to the LBS and raise holy heck.  I'm betting they'll give you some extra TLC to make things right - or they should.  If they don't, maybe find another LBS to give your business to (if possible).

2014-04-27 3:00 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by jbwills

How irritating!  If it were me, I'd go back to the LBS and raise holy heck.  I'm betting they'll give you some extra TLC to make things right - or they should.  If they don't, maybe find another LBS to give your business to (if possible).

They are getting really bad about standing behind their work.  I am done with this shop.  I will spend my bike money at shops that will stand behind their mechanical work.

2014-04-27 3:27 PM

User image

Master

Glad you enjoyed the race!  Sometimes common sense does prevail AND gives a positive outcome as an added benefit

On the sock question...Yes, they make a difference (at least to me). I've found that thinner and older/more worn out socks slip around uncomfortably on my feet, and I've gotten blisters. Now I pay close attention to the socks I use on longer runs and I don't have issues. Test out your sock theory, you might be right Another thought... you might also check your lacing.

2014-04-28 6:18 AM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by JJ-
Originally posted by laffinrock

Hope all of today's racers had a great day.  Judi, at least you had fun, even if you didn't PR.

Jonathan in TX, sorry to hear your legs pooped out on you again.   They'll come back; sounds like you're right - a little rest might be in order.

Well I figured out what it was. I lost 8 pounds in 4 hours. Not enough fluid for the heat. Very stupid mistake and lesson learned. I've got to increase my fluid much more then I thought. I'm gonna increase to 30 ounces an hour. IMTX could get up into the high 90s so I need to figure it out fast

Ouch, lesson learned, from the looks of things. Make sure you drink early, often and afterward. Hydration truly begins in the days leading up to and after the race. I learned this on a ride much like yours. I had a monster headache and was completely useless for the entire day. Good on ya for figuring it out!

2014-04-28 6:27 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Judi, good on ya for learning something from him, every cloud has a silver lining. I hope that your new LBS treats you well. It can be a challenge to find one that you are comfortable with, kind of like car mechanics and doctors.  This is another example of why I am so interested in learning as much as possible about the mechanical side of things on the bike. My LBS treats me well, but I realize how lucky I am in that regard.  All of us need to have a certain level of comfort in our wrenching abilities.  I'm not sure those abilities need to include running cable, maybe the more common tire changing and such. 

2014-04-28 7:26 AM
in reply to: #4975867

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River
Hmmm woke up and the forecast is not good. Seems the demons of the air will be about and active this afternoon. We are still gun shy after three years. Schools will let out at noon. Except my school. El Presidente alway waits to the last moment.

Time to queue up some apropos music.

Riders on the Storm, Ridin the Storm Out, Tunes like that.

Pardoned me whilst I inspect both the car's emergency kit and the house's. The day promises our annual spring ritual weather.

2014-04-28 7:39 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Good job on your HM, Kate! Fighting off the lung gunk is never fun.

I've not had bottom of the feet blisters, so I can't really help specific to those. However, in regards to socks, I have had different experiences, including toe blisters, based on the sock of choice. I am almost solely (ha!) using Balega Hidden Comfort. I tried the Hidden Dry at one point and have been unhappy, due to the thinness. I am no longer using anything thin to run in, although I will ride in the thinner ones.

2014-04-28 8:03 AM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by MadMathemagician Hmmm woke up and the forecast is not good. Seems the demons of the air will be about and active this afternoon. We are still gun shy after three years. Schools will let out at noon. Except my school. El Presidente alway waits to the last moment. Time to queue up some apropos music. Riders on the Storm, Ridin the Storm Out, Tunes like that. Pardoned me whilst I inspect both the car's emergency kit and the house's. The day promises our annual spring ritual weather.

I used to put that on my Spinning(R) class playlists all the time

Hope you stay high and dry!

Also, thanks for the reminder to inspect my emergency kits as well.

2014-04-28 8:13 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Try different kinds of dry-tech socks (as others said) and use a good lube (to me, that is NOT BodyGlide, not for anything over 10mi anyway) like 2Toms SportShield roll-on or I've heard good things about TriSlide.

Some people have had good luck with stuff like KY Jelly or Vaseline. YMMV

And confrogulations Katiewalk

2014-04-28 9:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
Found this is another group I am in, thought I would share. I did half of it after my morning run and it kicked my butt.

10 Minute Core for Ultra Runners

http://www.wilddefined.com/2014/04/10-minute-core-workout-for-ultra...
2014-04-28 9:44 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Looks like it was a pretty good weekend all around!

Judi - congrats on the 10K! You take what the day (and your body) will give you! SUCKS about your LBS. GO FIND A GOOD ONE!

Jonathan - ouch on the legs/hydration. It's so tricky but once you get it dialed in you'll be unstoppable

Kate - another win for the manaTEAM! Sounds like a pretty good day.

ME? Yeah, I pr'd my 10K by 3 minutes despite being scared to death that my tendonitis was going to prevent me from being able to walk to the car after. I was, in fact, able to run and walk to the car after with no real pain. Of course then sitting in the car for 10 minutes seized everything up but my PT swears it's getting better!

Mondays suck - so I hope you all survive yours as I hope to mine!

2014-04-28 10:13 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by mtnbikerchkLooks like it was a pretty good weekend all around!Judi - congrats on the 10K! You take what the day (and your body) will give you! SUCKS about your LBS. GO FIND A GOOD ONE! Jonathan - ouch on the legs/hydration. It's so tricky but once you get it dialed in you'll be unstoppableKate - another win for the manaTEAM! Sounds like a pretty good day.ME? Yeah, I pr'd my 10K by 3 minutes despite being scared to death that my tendonitis was going to prevent me from being able to walk to the car after. I was, in fact, able to run and walk to the car after with no real pain. Of course then sitting in the car for 10 minutes seized everything up but my PT swears it's getting better! Mondays suck - so I hope you all survive yours as I hope to mine!
Woo Hoo! A 3 minute PR over a 10k is really awesome, congrats!!!!!
2014-04-28 10:17 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Orlando
So I am back at work in hot, flat florida I wish I had been able to take a bit extra time to enjoy the mountains at a more normal pace and circumstance, but I couldn't, so pooh. I do leave for NYC Thursday, so this is just a 3 day work week; so yay!

I am not going to write a real RR about my relay, but have written extensively about it in my log for anyone who is bored.

2014-04-28 10:30 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Manatees on a Monday will always put a smile on my face!  

Jonathan:  yowie on the leg front, but at the same time, it was a really good learning experience for you and how to set yourself for a very successful day at IMTX!

Judi:  Time for a new LBS - we did the same thing with ours when they completely screwed up mounting the race wheels on both Tony's and my bikes... not going to them for ANYTHING ever again - you want our business?  You have to earn it!

Kate, Mary, Hands-Marie, and everyone else that raced this past weekend - you guys freakin' ROCK!  I'm always impressed with everyone in our group, and this weekend was no different, way to go!  

Michael - stay safe, m'kay??  

As for me?  Well, I have some kick-azz new boots, Tony has a new phone, we went out for an AWESOME dinner with tri friends on Saturday night, and I've got 2 different PTs that I'm starting within the next 2 weeks.  Whew!  

2014-04-28 2:43 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master

Been awfully quiet for a couple of hours. You'd think it was Friday afternoon instead of Monday morning!

Tried out my wetsuit in the pool this morning. Wheeee! Love the sleeveless! It makes all the difference in how my mind reacts to the constriction. My apprehension about this weekend's swim has been cut in half  Now for a few more days of practice.

Note to self: do not attempt to put on wetsuit in the bathroom next to sauna ever again. I swear I took as long putting on the dang thing as I did swimming in it.

2014-04-28 3:10 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Been awfully quiet for a couple of hours. You'd think it was Friday afternoon instead of Monday morning!

Tried out my wetsuit in the pool this morning. Wheeee! Love the sleeveless! It makes all the difference in how my mind reacts to the constriction. My apprehension about this weekend's swim has been cut in half  Now for a few more days of practice.

Note to self: do not attempt to put on wetsuit in the bathroom next to sauna ever again. I swear I took as long putting on the dang thing as I did swimming in it.

Hahaha!  I've always said that the hardest part of a triathlon is just getting into the effing wetsuit!!  

2014-04-28 5:26 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Seattle

I'm back. Sorta ...

Nice job all you racers! Keep that sickie list short! 

2014-04-28 5:43 PM
in reply to: #4987970

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River
We'll weather forecasting has finally become more of a science than an art.

Dodged one tornado already. The track passed about three miles south. It's shaping up to be a long evening. There are warnings to the east, south and west.
2014-04-28 8:41 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by MadMathemagician We'll weather forecasting has finally become more of a science than an art. Dodged one tornado already. The track passed about three miles south. It's shaping up to be a long evening. There are warnings to the east, south and west.

Yikes, Michael, there is some serious weather going on out there!  So glad you're safe now and hoping that you and your family can stay safe.

Our weather here is ridiculous.  Saturday was in the 70's, yesterday was low 40's and rain, and today has gone from sunny and mild, to cloudy and cold, to now clear and really windy.  Feels like it's more like March than May!!

2014-04-28 8:51 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by amd723
Originally posted by mtnbikerchkLooks like it was a pretty good weekend all around!Judi - congrats on the 10K! You take what the day (and your body) will give you! SUCKS about your LBS. GO FIND A GOOD ONE! Jonathan - ouch on the legs/hydration. It's so tricky but once you get it dialed in you'll be unstoppableKate - another win for the manaTEAM! Sounds like a pretty good day.ME? Yeah, I pr'd my 10K by 3 minutes despite being scared to death that my tendonitis was going to prevent me from being able to walk to the car after. I was, in fact, able to run and walk to the car after with no real pain. Of course then sitting in the car for 10 minutes seized everything up but my PT swears it's getting better! Mondays suck - so I hope you all survive yours as I hope to mine!
Woo Hoo! A 3 minute PR over a 10k is really awesome, congrats!!!!!

Don't know how I missed this ∧∧∧∧∧.  Dang, Randee, you're amazing!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 64689 Posts: 2563

2014-04-03 7:43 AM IndoIronYanti

New Year 2014 Mentor Program is OPEN! Instructions Inside

Started by Ron
Views: 2977 Posts: 20

2014-03-26 2:43 PM simoneocean

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 28165 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

2014 Rookies - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16

Started by Jason N
Views: 16393 Posts: 376

2014-04-28 2:54 PM Danmartinids

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 100353 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.