BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-08-05 2:30 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Master
Small Town
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
Put one in your Planned Races... if you plan on racing it.

BT - Lone Star 1/4

BT - Lone Star HIM

2009-08-05 2:31 PM
in reply to: #2330098

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
BigReub - 2009-08-05 1:25 PM
SSMinnow - 2009-08-05 6:33 AM It is Wednesday, who is racing--where? what's the distance? what's the goal?

ME!!!  First one.  My wife and I and about 12 other veterans from Seymour.
Distance:  800 yard swim, 17.5 mile bike, 3.1 mile run.
Goal:  Finish, Have Fun, Save enough energy to drive to Chicago Saturday afternoon.

So you ready for it now?? Excited?? I'm sure I'll get corrected if I am wrong, but I think you are the last one  of us newbs in this MG  to do their 1st triathlon....
2009-08-05 2:40 PM
in reply to: #2330111

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
TrevorC - 2009-08-05 3:31 PM  I'm sure I'll get corrected if I am wrong, but I think you are the last one  of us newbs in this MG  to do their 1st triathlon....

Saving the best for last!
2009-08-05 3:12 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

BigReub - 2009-08-05 2:25 PM
SSMinnow - 2009-08-05 6:33 AM It is Wednesday, who is racing--where? what's the distance? what's the goal?

Goal:  Finish, Have Fun, Save enough energy to drive to Chicago Saturday afternoon.

I am stoked for you!  You will remember this one forever...

2009-08-05 3:13 PM
in reply to: #2330102

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

TrevorC - 2009-08-05 2:27 PM
trying1 - 2009-08-05 12:13 PM

Me!! Oly--3/4m swim, 34m bike, 10K in Oshkosh Wisconsin.  It is supposed to be 90F and very humid so I am under strict orders to: Swim with a purpose (always do!), keep the Bike in Z3 and if I can't take in calories at that level drop it to Z2 (who wants to do that?) and run like someone is chasing me (and NOT look at my GPS!)  Seriously, primary goal is to moderate the bike to have a stronger run. This has been my achilles heel all season.

Who else?

I'm racing in Westport CT.  It's a 5.85 mile run, it's a weird distance but it's part of a huge running club in CT.  They have races every Sunday during the summers (10 in total) and they increase the distance every week.  I'm racing with a friend we're visiting for the weekend.  I'll mainly be eating his dust, he avgs 6min miles.

BTW I'm kind-of sad..  we officially listed our condo for sale yesterday.  It has treated us well in the last 5 yrs.  I love this place, we customized it to exactly what we wanted at the time..  Unfortunately we are in cost cutting mode (still no job) and expanding the family mode so a condo loft doesn't cut it..  on the bright side, by the weekend we might already have a contract signed on a new place in a great location in NYC that is very family friendly. It's a great layout but it doesn't have that wow factor..  Our current place is like a porsche our potential new place is like a really nice VW.  One great thing is the VW has an outdoor space and is only 1.5 blocks from central park..  If anyone is in the market for a 2200 sqft loft in Chelsea/Flatiron in NYC let me know.  OK i'm going for a run now..

Am I picking up on something that isnt there??? Or is there abother mini-Stan bun in the oven?

I was thinking the same thing...

2009-08-05 3:30 PM
in reply to: #2329587

User image

Elite
san francisco
soccermom15 - 2009-08-05 9:27 AM

kt65 - 2009-08-04 9:27 PM My abs are frickin KILLing me today.  I guess that is a good thing.  Can't wait for tomorrow's Day 2 of week 1.

And I'm doing baby stuff compared to Tony and Jeremy.  Hmm.  Gotta start somewhere.

Me too - I feel like such a wimpTongue out.  But at least I'm getting it done!  I was originally supposed to start last night after my run but it didn't happen so I did it as soon as I got up this morning.  15-18-10-10-14 for a total of 67 - still more than I've ever done before so I can't complain!
Janet

Nice job, Janet.  Okay, I did day 2 of week 1 after my 4.5 mile run and started with push ups instead of the other way around and it was MUCH easier to get through the push ups.  Sit ups on already slightly sore abs are a killer either way!
push ups 10/12/8/8/12 total of 50
sit ups 9/12/9/9/20 total of 59
This has been so good for me.  I started doing twists at the top because it hurt less!  I'm still amazed at you guys who did 140+ on their initial test! 

2009-08-05 3:41 PM
in reply to: #2330193

User image

Extreme Veteran
ashort33 - 2009-08-05 4:13 PM

Me!! Oly--3/4m swim, 34m bike, 10K in Oshkosh Wisconsin.  It is supposed to be 90F and very humid so I am under strict orders to: Swim with a purpose (always do!), keep the Bike in Z3 and if I can't take in calories at that level drop it to Z2 (who wants to do that?) and run like someone is chasing me (and NOT look at my GPS!)  Seriously, primary goal is to moderate the bike to have a stronger run. This has been my achilles heel all season.

Who else?

I'm racing in Westport CT.  It's a 5.85 mile run, it's a weird distance but it's part of a huge running club in CT.  They have races every Sunday during the summers (10 in total) and they increase the distance every week.  I'm racing with a friend we're visiting for the weekend.  I'll mainly be eating his dust, he avgs 6min miles.

BTW I'm kind-of sad..  we officially listed our condo for sale yesterday.  It has treated us well in the last 5 yrs.  I love this place, we customized it to exactly what we wanted at the time..  Unfortunately we are in cost cutting mode (still no job) and expanding the family mode so a condo loft doesn't cut it..  on the bright side, by the weekend we might already have a contract signed on a new place in a great location in NYC that is very family friendly. It's a great layout but it doesn't have that wow factor..  Our current place is like a porsche our potential new place is like a really nice VW.  One great thing is the VW has an outdoor space and is only 1.5 blocks from central park..  If anyone is in the market for a 2200 sqft loft in Chelsea/Flatiron in NYC let me know.  OK i'm going for a run now..

Am I picking up on something that isnt there??? Or is there abother mini-Stan bun in the oven?

not yet, but we talked about trying very soon.  My wife has that feeling (if you know what I mean).  I guess I of have it too.  My son is growing so fast we already miss the younger baby stages..

Thanks for all the comments, it makes me feel a lot better..  If we do get this new place, I'm really looking forward to using Central Park more.  I don't have to wake up as early to get there and I don't have to be worried about getting hit by crazy drivers getting to and from the park.
2009-08-05 3:49 PM
in reply to: #2330263

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
trying1 - 2009-08-05 2:41 PM
ashort33 - 2009-08-05 4:13 PM

Who else?

not yet, but we talked about trying very soon.  My wife has that feeling (if you know what I mean).  I guess I of have it too.  My son is growing so fast we already miss the younger baby stages..

Thanks for all the comments, it makes me feel a lot better..  If we do get this new place, I'm really looking forward to using Central Park more.  I don't have to wake up as early to get there and I don't have to be worried about getting hit by crazy drivers getting to and from the park.

Now you'll only have to worry about the crazies once you are IN the park right?
2009-08-05 4:04 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
BigReub - 2009-08-05 2:25 PM

WOW!  VERY COOL!  I didn't realize this was your first.  Have a blast man!!!
2009-08-05 4:42 PM

User image

Veteran
New York, New York
Hey everyone:

Thanks so much for your encouragement. By the looks of your training, it seems like you all are doing great.

Ashort, thank you for the invite to Galveston.  Sounds like such a fun event, and aside from driving through the panhandle on a cross country trip, I have never really been to Texas.  Please keep me in the loop. Sounds like a fun event. 

Anyway, if I do not come on here a lot, it is because the chronic depression I struggle with is worsening.  Keep me in your thoughts.  I probably have a bit of post-race depression also. 

Thanks.

dbw27
2009-08-05 5:03 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
Jack made it three innings at the Astros game.  We hit the cotton candy too early.  A little to close for comfort there in the 9th huh Kim.

Bikes to Lone Star. 

Airline of course.  Looks like you might not want to go AirTran. 

Per the Lone Star website, last year you could ship them to Tri on the Run (TotR) or Webster Bicycle.   I shop at and have a good relationship with TotR.  I just called there... last year was $90 to pack and unpack a bike.  Not including shipping of course.  TotR will be a sponsor this year so I imagine that won't change much.  I don't know much about Webster but can check there if you want me to.

You can ship it to me and we can all put them together. 

I can hang on to your bike at the house if you are planning on traveling around Texas after the race so you don't have to lug it around.

Airports 

We have two airports.  Both will work so keep your options open.  Hobby is a bit closer to Galveston but Intercontinental is the big one and probably has more flight options.  We're talking 1/2 hour farther away with no traffic.  Can be twice that in traffic but still not that big of a deal.  Hobby being much smaller is a lot easier and faster to get around in.

2009-08-05 5:05 PM
in reply to: #2330435

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

fattyfatfat - 2009-08-05 5:03 PM Jack made it three innings at the Astros game.  We hit the cotton candy too early.  A little to close for comfort there in the 9th huh Kim.

Bikes to Lone Star. 

Per the Lone Star website, last year you could ship them to Tri on the Run (TotR) or Webster Bicycle.   I shop at and have a good relationship with TotR.  I just called there... last year was $90 to pack and unpack a bike.  Not including shipping of course.  TotR will be a sponsor this year so I imagine that won't change much.  I don't know much about Webster but can check there if you want me to.

I can hang on to your bike at the house if you are planning on traveling around Texas after the race so you don't have to lug it around.

Airports 

We have two airports.  Both will work so keep your options open.  Hobby is a bit closer to Galveston but Intercontinental is the big one and probably has more flight options.  We're talking 1/2 hour farther away with no traffic.  Can be twice that in traffic but still not that big of a deal.  Hobby being much smaller is a lot easier and faster to get around in.

Hobby is mainly a SouthWest hub - last I saw, they were not charging extra for checking bikes...  I think I saw it on the web site Tony posted a while back...

2009-08-05 6:11 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Suzy--- It is actually pretty easy to do.  I suggest you take to bike shop and watch them take apart, then you can put back together pretty easy.... I am about 70% sure I am going to try and get down there.  I will do it for you!  Just be sure to put a piece of tape on your seat post so you know the EXACT height to put it back at.

BIG REUBEN!!!!!! I CAN'T WAIT!! This is going to be awesome.... What we do say to everyone about there 1st ever TRI----

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!
2009-08-05 6:24 PM
in reply to: #2330402

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
dbw27 - 2009-08-05 2:42 PM Hey everyone:

Anyway, if I do not come on here a lot, it is because the chronic depression I struggle with is worsening.  Keep me in your thoughts.  I probably have a bit of post-race depression also. 

Thanks.

dbw27

No No No.... You should be coming here more!  Life is good here.... And you are part of the family!  You need to be around your family!  You can't be depressed.  Life is too good for you!  Look at all of you accomplishments!  Absolutely no reason to be down !!!!

Keep your head high!  When feeling blue go for a jog, or a walk, but don't sit around and be sad!  If you are going to sit around--- sit there staring at your own website and look at what a ROCKSTAR YOU ARE!!!!!!  Then go out for a run
2009-08-05 6:24 PM

User image

Veteran
New York, New York
Trying:

Your new place sounds awesome!  I hope you get it!  And yes, both en route to Central Park and in Central Park is equally treacherous.

I would love to live in Chelsea, but unless they start paying legal secretaries more, I must be content with where I am. :-)  I hope you find a good buyer! 

dbw27
2009-08-05 7:33 PM
in reply to: #2330034

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

TrevorC - 2009-08-05 3:01 PM
Redknight - 2009-08-05 11:01 AM

Oh yeah. My wife got me a new tri training book for my birthday last weekend . It says us old people should rest more between training. Duh what kind of attitude is that   Actually the book has some really good info especially for those of us that don't have years and years of tri's under our belts.

And that book is called.....?????

" The EVERYTHING, Triathlon Training Book". I guess once I finish it I will know everything lol

2009-08-05 7:35 PM
in reply to: #2330441

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
ashort33 - 2009-08-05 6:05 PM

fattyfatfat - 2009-08-05 5:03 PM Jack made it three innings at the Astros game.  We hit the cotton candy too early.  A little to close for comfort there in the 9th huh Kim.

Bikes to Lone Star. 

Airports 

Hobby is mainly a SouthWest hub - last I saw, they were not charging extra for checking bikes...  I think I saw it on the web site Tony posted a while back...

Yeah, I just hate southwest though, I prefer having an assigned seat vs, trying to be the first one in line to get an aisle seat.  We might do the bike shop deal, lol get them to tune it up while they are at it.
2009-08-05 7:37 PM
in reply to: #2330549

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

swbkrun - 2009-08-05 7:24 PM
dbw27 - 2009-08-05 2:42 PM Hey everyone:

Thanks.

dbw27

No No No.... You should be coming here more!  Life is good here.... And you are part of the family!  You need to be around your family!  You can't be depressed.  Life is too good for you!  Look at all of you accomplishments!  Absolutely no reason to be down !!!!

Keep your head high!  When feeling blue go for a jog, or a walk, but don't sit around and be sad!  If you are going to sit around--- sit there staring at your own website and look at what a ROCKSTAR YOU ARE!!!!!!  Then go out for a run

X2 Keep coming here. This is where we love you and you will always find us ready to help out. If encouragement and support are what you need then you are already in the right place.

2009-08-05 8:35 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
Had thought.   Don't know if it would work for the OLY or HIM but if you guys send me some info about yourselves I can try to find a bike down here for you use.  And not to volunteer Andy Sealed but he's got a three bike rack so he might find one in Dallas to borrow and bring it down.  Might be a roadie or a hybrid but you'd at least have fun passing a lot of expensive tri bikes.
2009-08-05 8:50 PM
in reply to: #2330738

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
So, who out there besides Suzy uses a coach?  (allready sent her a pm about hers)

Sam and I were talking about it and now I remember why I don't have a tri coach.  I looked at all the local ones and none of them really stand out and if I am going to pay 200-300/month I want to make sure they are good.

Have any of you guys looked into coaching?  lol the more I look at how expensive it is the happier I get with Suzy recommending her running coach because he is great and compared to other coaching very reasonably priced.
2009-08-05 8:51 PM
in reply to: #2329877

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
trying1 - 2009-08-05 2:13 PM

Who else?

Stan, do you know the route?  I used to live in Westport when I was in college.  I used to lifeguard at Compo Beach and got my start in golf at Longshore.

2009-08-05 8:54 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC

Edited by Jeepguy2358 2009-08-05 9:00 PM
2009-08-05 8:54 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Okay.  I have my longest run of my life coming up tomorrow..................1hr 45min.    I am looking to go around 11 miles.  Unfortunately it will be after being on my feet all day at work.  Should be interesting.  Friday calls for a long swim (3K).  Off Sat, but Sunday - 2hr bike, 30min run, 30 min swim in 98 degrees, 80% humidity.  Man, this HIM volume is getting crazy!  I love it!

Edited by Jeepguy2358 2009-08-05 8:59 PM
2009-08-05 8:58 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Been looking into flying down to Lonestar. We do have an airline that flies bikes for free!! Aslong as its part of your 2 checked bags,
But boo, I could only get to Phoenix or Mazatlan. Closest cities they fly. But the do fly to Kona, so maybe I'll just qualify for next year. Tongue out
2009-08-05 9:00 PM
in reply to: #2330768

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Jeepguy2358 - 2009-08-05 8:54 PM Okay.  I have my longest run of my life coming up tomorrow..................1hr 45min.    I am looking to go around 11 miles.  Unfortunately it will be after being on my feet all day at work.  Should be interesting.  Friday calls for a long swim (3K).  Off Sat, but Sunday - 2hr bike, 30min run, 30 min swim.  Man, this HIM volume is getting crazy!  I love it!

Take each mile one at a time and think about the HIM finish line.  I also like to think about what I'm going to eat when I get home during the last few miles.  That always perks me up.  :-)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383