BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-06-10 12:36 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by IronOx

What a difference in rides.  After my brake pad fiasco the other day, I took my bike to the lbs for a quick tune.  Went for a final shakedown ride of 10 miles tonight and averaged over 21 mph for the first time ever.  It was a great confidence boost.  

Awesome, Steve.  You are going to rock it.  

Great to have that confidence boost right when you needed it!  Maybe that brake pad fiasco was a good way to get in one last resistance training session so you can really fly when it comes time for the real deal.  Plus it's a good reminder to do one last equipment check before race day.

Speaking of equipment check.  You should see my dining room table where I've thrown all my stuff to pack.  It is a small mountain.  It is times like this that I really appreciate running events. 

I can believe it!  That is one reason Kevin keeps saying that if I want to race in Europe, maybe running would be a better idea. Then again, he's the one who shot down my RnR Dublin plans a few years back...

2015-06-10 12:37 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Asalzwed

My race went really well last night. It was a 4K distance on the trails and I was about redlined for the entire run. Which gave me a good idea of exactly how long I can run that hard.

Anyway, I ended up #1 woman. I'll do a rr soon. I took a different approach on this race just trying some stuff. 

Congratulations!  Everyone clear out, here comes the Salty Express!

2015-06-10 1:05 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by brigby1

What a difference in rides.  After my brake pad fiasco the other day, I took my bike to the lbs for a quick tune.  Went for a final shakedown ride of 10 miles tonight and averaged over 21 mph for the first time ever.  It was a great confidence boost.  

Great to have that confidence boost right when you needed it!  Maybe that brake pad fiasco was a good way to get in one last resistance training session so you can really fly when it comes time for the real deal.  Plus it's a good reminder to do one last equipment check before race day.

Speaking of equipment check.  You should see my dining room table where I've thrown all my stuff to pack.  It is a small mountain.  It is times like this that I really appreciate running events. 

Ha! Single sport events have me more paranoid now because it seems way too easy to pack for!

I dunno man.  When getting ready for the relay I realized that most of my work packing from a tri was the cycling stuff.

2015-06-10 1:07 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by jmkizer

I can believe it!  That is one reason Kevin keeps saying that if I want to race in Europe, maybe running would be a better idea. Then again, he's the one who shot down my RnR Dublin plans a few years back...

Kevin is just mean!!

I haven't figured out how to pack for my Wednesday night XC races.  They're after work and I never know what clothes to pack.  The weather's been so unsettled, it could be 85* or 60*; and sunny, cloudy, raining or all 3.  I find that my bag fills up no matter how light I try to pack.  Feels like when I go on a trip--the stuff always expands to fit the allowable space, then expands a little more.  (Ugh. This conversation just made me realize that I left my water bottle at home.  Should have packed last night instead of this morning!!)

2015-06-10 1:20 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Kevin is just mean!!

I haven't figured out how to pack for my Wednesday night XC races.  They're after work and I never know what clothes to pack.  The weather's been so unsettled, it could be 85* or 60*; and sunny, cloudy, raining or all 3.  I find that my bag fills up no matter how light I try to pack.  Feels like when I go on a trip--the stuff always expands to fit the allowable space, then expands a little more.  (Ugh. This conversation just made me realize that I left my water bottle at home.  Should have packed last night instead of this morning!!)

He has since changed his mind but at the time he was like, "What is there to do in Dublin anyway?"  I was just speechless!  The following year he said, "Let's go to Dublin."  It hasn't worked out with our schedules since then though.

We have Vineman at the end of July.  He's going on a mountain biking trip to Bend at the beginning of September and then I have B2B in October.  I'm just hoping that we can make it to Asheville amid all that goodness.  I kinda wanted to to RnR San Antonio in December but I'm on the fence on that one.

2015-06-10 1:20 PM
in reply to: msteiner

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by brigby1

Ha! Single sport events have me more paranoid now because it seems way too easy to pack for!

I dunno man.  When getting ready for the relay I realized that most of my work packing from a tri was the cycling stuff.

True, cycling had the most/biggest stuff but swimming and running still had a number of small things to remember even though it's all pretty easy to fit into whatever.

2015-06-10 1:26 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Kevin is just mean!!

He has since changed his mind but at the time he was like, "What is there to do in Dublin anyway?"  I was just speechless!  The following year he said, "Let's go to Dublin."  It hasn't worked out with our schedules since then though.

We have Vineman at the end of July.  He's going on a mountain biking trip to Bend at the beginning of September and then I have B2B in October.  I'm just hoping that we can make it to Asheville amid all that goodness.  I kinda wanted to to RnR San Antonio in December but I'm on the fence on that one.

"What is there to do in Dublin?" ---   Glad to hear he's come around!

2015-06-10 1:29 PM

User image

Seattle

Kevin is just mean!!

I pretty much run in the same thing (shorts and a tank) from 40 degrees to 80 degrees. All you need is lightweight gloves and a beanie if it dips below and then just take the tank off if it goes above. Can't get much more simple than that! 

2015-06-10 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

My race went really well last night. It was a 4K distance on the trails and I was about redlined for the entire run. Which gave me a good idea of exactly how long I can run that hard.

Anyway, I ended up #1 woman. I'll do a rr soon. I took a different approach on this race just trying some stuff. 

Congratulations!  Everyone clear out, here comes the Salty Express!

Yes, congratulations!

2015-06-10 1:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Kevin is just mean!!

I'm glad he changed his mind and hope you can someday find your way to Ireland.  It is awesome.  If I ever start running marathons again, I will try to run RnR Dublin. Pro tip for when you do go:  even if you don't like Guinness here, try it there; it tastes differently (and by that I mean yummy!!

Edited by amd723 2015-06-10 1:36 PM
2015-06-10 1:37 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Kevin is just mean!!

I pretty much run in the same thing (shorts and a tank) from 40 degrees to 80 degrees. All you need is lightweight gloves and a beanie if it dips below and then just take the tank off if it goes above. Can't get much more simple than that! 

I like to use arm warmers when it gets into the 40*s and then I just roll them down as I warm up.  

2015-06-10 2:17 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Seattle
2015-06-10 3:45 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Speaking of Max King, and interesting article on training your weakness:

http://running.competitor.com/2015/05/trail-running/maintain-your-strengths-while-working-on-your-weaknesses_128859

Definitely interesting and a good reminder.  I like how he points to how important it is to maintain the strengths that got him into the sport in the first place.

2015-06-10 3:56 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Insanely awesome. 

Once, just once, it would be cool to know what it feels like to be the first anything.

2015-06-10 4:04 PM

Master
Northern IL

Speaking of Max King, and interesting article on training your weakness:

http://running.competitor.com/2015/05/trail-running/maintain-your-strengths-while-working-on-your-weaknesses_128859

Definitely interesting and a good reminder.  I like how he points to how important it is to maintain the strengths that got him into the sport in the first place.

Yes, it is.

2015-06-10 6:13 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by melbo55

Insanely awesome. 

Once, just once, it would be cool to know what it feels like to be the first anything.

Well, then you have this: http://www.runnersworld.com/columns/fear-and-self-loathing-at-the-races?cid=socMOT_20150610_47283746&adbid=10153378112992090&adbpl=fb&adbpr=23403427089

Which is inline with a previous conversation in the group.

2015-06-11 8:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Insanely awesome. 

Well, then you have this: http://www.runnersworld.com/columns/fear-and-self-loathing-at-the-races?cid=socMOT_20150610_47283746&adbid=10153378112992090&adbpl=fb&adbpr=23403427089

It's a strange phenomenon.  I demonstrated it earlier as you mentioned.

"Self-loathing comes with its own set of problems, but I want to believe that an unwillingness to be content with a subpar performance might be beneficial, that it can fuel me in the future."

I definitely share the sentiment behind that quote.  It's a good motivator most of the time, but it can contribute to burnout.

2015-06-11 9:42 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Insanely awesome. 

"Self-loathing comes with its own set of problems, but I want to believe that an unwillingness to be content with a subpar performance might be beneficial, that it can fuel me in the future."

I definitely share the sentiment behind that quote.  It's a good motivator most of the time, but it can contribute to burnout.

Struggling myself today after yesterday's race.  It was as good as it could have been, really.  I went in with a plan, stuck to it and got the expected result (~10 mpm), tried to see it as a training run, met some of my fellow runners who are doing the series, and the post-race food was amazing (pizza from a food truck).  In that respect, it was good. 

On the other hand, the only 4 people I beat were a 9 y.o., her dad, and two women who were really slow, and my knee hurts like heck today.  There's really nothing I could have done better but it sure hurts my ego to be so far down in the standings and I don't like the physical pain after what felt like a mediocre performance.  I'm pretty discouraged today and am worried about the ramifications for my tri season.  Bleah.  Feeling like pig poop.

2015-06-11 11:37 AM

User image

Seattle

Insanely awesome. 

I would say that it is rare that I am completely satisfied with the results of a race and I find the most competitive people that I know in my club and whatnot are the same. But I feel that self-loathing isn't very productive. I like to infuse as much positivity into what we are doing, even if we are never content. 

2015-06-11 11:44 AM

User image

Seattle

Insanely awesome. 

Struggling myself today after yesterday's race.  It was as good as it could have been, really.  I went in with a plan, stuck to it and got the expected result (~10 mpm), tried to see it as a training run, met some of my fellow runners who are doing the series, and the post-race food was amazing (pizza from a food truck).  In that respect, it was good. 

On the other hand, the only 4 people I beat were a 9 y.o., her dad, and two women who were really slow, and my knee hurts like heck today.  There's really nothing I could have done better but it sure hurts my ego to be so far down in the standings and I don't like the physical pain after what felt like a mediocre performance.  I'm pretty discouraged today and am worried about the ramifications for my tri season.  Bleah.  Feeling like pig poop.

I don't know how it is there but keep in mind the cross country races tend to be significantly more competitive than your average 5K road race.

But that aside, it's really not about anyone else but you. You executed to your plan. I believe that is the true indicator of success and failure and really the most specific, true apples to apples measurement. 

2015-06-11 12:10 PM

User image

Seattle

Here is my race report from Tuesday. Short and sweet.

2015-06-11 12:24 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I think we've all been there. There is the part where you KNOW you could do better and the part where you are happy with what you did. I know I've been in both places (although I admit one is more frequent than the other).  However, when I am completely honest with myself, I know there needs to be a balance. And that seems to be a struggle for many of us. Sure I want to win, or go as fast as Matt or Adrienne, but that isn't who I am. I know I can't measure myself by them, it isn't fair to me to do so. But I also know that I can improve, and that is where I have to focus. We can all make improvements to different things at different times of our lives. 

My challenge then is simple. Find that balance where I strive to make improvements, yet am happy with where I am.  It will probably be easier to do if I compare myself to me, not to others. And by me I mean the real me, not the HS me that was an athlete in multiple sports. The real me that has a job, a family, friends, a community that I care about, and is actively pursuing many hobbies. The me from a few years back that wouldn't have thought of running a 5k and now can drop into one without any problems. The me who didn't even know a Half Marathon was a thing and has since completed multiple races.  

I hope you can keep the discouraging thoughts to a minimun, Mary. Work through them and know that you are the farthest thing from Pig Poop!!!

2015-06-11 1:01 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle

I'm leading a couple friends on a summit attempt of Mount Adams this weekend.

I've climbed and summited before however I am slightly nervous because I am taking my snowboard this time. It adds some significant weight and of all the forces against me while climbing (elevation gain, endurance/distance and the weight bearing nature of carrying a pack) the weight bearing is my weakest. Soooo I suppose I will chalk this one up as workin' my weakness. After the St. Helens run I was thinking to myself, "Nope. Not going to bring the board on the climb. I am going to be a wuss and just climb light." Yet here I am. Packing my snowboard gear.  

We are lucky as humans how quickly we forget (or bury the memories) the pain

2015-06-11 1:02 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by cdban66

I think we've all been there. There is the part where you KNOW you could do better and the part where you are happy with what you did. I know I've been in both places (although I admit one is more frequent than the other).  However, when I am completely honest with myself, I know there needs to be a balance. And that seems to be a struggle for many of us. Sure I want to win, or go as fast as Matt or Adrienne, but that isn't who I am. I know I can't measure myself by them, it isn't fair to me to do so. But I also know that I can improve, and that is where I have to focus. We can all make improvements to different things at different times of our lives. 

My challenge then is simple. Find that balance where I strive to make improvements, yet am happy with where I am.  It will probably be easier to do if I compare myself to me, not to others. And by me I mean the real me, not the HS me that was an athlete in multiple sports. The real me that has a job, a family, friends, a community that I care about, and is actively pursuing many hobbies. The me from a few years back that wouldn't have thought of running a 5k and now can drop into one without any problems. The me who didn't even know a Half Marathon was a thing and has since completed multiple races.  

I hope you can keep the discouraging thoughts to a minimun, Mary. Work through them and know that you are the farthest thing from Pig Poop!!!

Well said.

I went through the same thing last weekend.

2015-06-11 5:58 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Proof of life post.

Sorry I haven't been about much, Phil is away at present and finally getting to some big long term planning projects at work that have needed to be done for like forever (and I am not exaggerating). It is exciting stuff but it takes a lot of focused energy which is something I am not all that good at.

You can tell it's summer where most of the Manatees live - it gets quiet in the pod cause you are all out doing great stuff.

I have been thinking a bit about what a few of you have been saying about not being happy with your race performances. I'm a bit with Chris on this one. As long as you can look yourself in the eye and say "I did the best that I could do on the day, based on all the other stuff I have going on in my life and the reality of where racing fits in my list of priorities." Then we need to cut ourselves a bit of slack.

Yes analyse how you can improve things, but unless you have been a slack and sat on the couch for 6 weeks before your race because you can't be bothered (yes I am speaking from recent experience) then give yourself a break and move on. And if you have been a slack then maybe you need to look at why that was the case. Was it old habits creeping back in, or did your body and mind truely just need some down time?
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 68402 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29146 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12300 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 38643 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67871 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.