BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2022-04-06 10:25 AM
in reply to: scoty

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022

Originally posted by scoty NAME: Scot OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook, of course. twitter @scoty67, strava, you will have to find me Scot Hendren, I am on insta, but not very often STORY: Many years ago I was into cycling with the idea of giving tri a try. Fast forward I got out of cycling until fall of 2019 and decided to buy another bike. It was kinda late in the season and most organized rides were shutting down so I bought some running shoes and started running. I bought a garmin tri watch off marketplace and the fella I bought it off of introduced me to a local tri club. I joined and started training some. I competed in my first sprint and loved, though I can barely swim. This past year I entered an Oly and again loved it though my time was worse than horrible. I still can't swim very good. I just finished a half marathon last weekend with a time of 2.00:36. I will be competing in my first full marathon this coming weekend. Then I will start training for Memphis 70.3 FAMILY STATUS: Married and custody of our 4 yo grandson, puts a kink in my training. BTW I just turned 55 CURRENT TRAINING: taper for an upcoming marathon, then I will start training for a 70.3 THIS YEARS RACES: April 2 Bentonville Half Marathon, April 9 Hogeye marathon, Oct 1 Memphis 70.3, November Tulsa Marathon GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: to learn more about the sport, about myself, and my abilities WHAT MAKES ME A GOOD MANATEE: I will ask questions.....lots of questions and soak up knowledge like a sponge. A couple more things about me. I recently became a licensed official with USA Cycling, I have a pretty cool story about my olympic tri

Welcome, Scot!  We love questions! I'm pretty sure that we'll have some riding gravel in Bentonville questions for you as well!

2022-04-06 10:28 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by scoty NAME: Scot OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook, of course. twitter @scoty67, strava, you will have to find me Scot Hendren, I am on insta, but not very often STORY: Many years ago I was into cycling with the idea of giving tri a try. Fast forward I got out of cycling until fall of 2019 and decided to buy another bike. It was kinda late in the season and most organized rides were shutting down so I bought some running shoes and started running. I bought a garmin tri watch off marketplace and the fella I bought it off of introduced me to a local tri club. I joined and started training some. I competed in my first sprint and loved, though I can barely swim. This past year I entered an Oly and again loved it though my time was worse than horrible. I still can't swim very good. I just finished a half marathon last weekend with a time of 2.00:36. I will be competing in my first full marathon this coming weekend. Then I will start training for Memphis 70.3 FAMILY STATUS: Married and custody of our 4 yo grandson, puts a kink in my training. BTW I just turned 55 CURRENT TRAINING: taper for an upcoming marathon, then I will start training for a 70.3 THIS YEARS RACES: April 2 Bentonville Half Marathon, April 9 Hogeye marathon, Oct 1 Memphis 70.3, November Tulsa Marathon GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: to learn more about the sport, about myself, and my abilities WHAT MAKES ME A GOOD MANATEE: I will ask questions.....lots of questions and soak up knowledge like a sponge. A couple more things about me. I recently became a licensed official with USA Cycling, I have a pretty cool story about my olympic tri

Hi Scot, and welcome!!  There are a lot of folks here that have a lot of experience and will gladly help with any questions you ask.  Congrats on your half marathon, that's either impressive or crazy that you are doing back to back [weekend] races, half marathon and marathon!

Sometimes crazy is the Manatee way.  Scot will fit right in!

2022-04-06 10:28 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by scoty

NAME: Scot

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook, of course. twitter @scoty67, strava, you will have to find me Scot Hendren, I am on insta, but not very often

STORY: Many years ago I was into cycling with the idea of giving tri a try. Fast forward I got out of cycling until fall of 2019 and decided to buy another bike. It was kinda late in the season and most organized rides were shutting down so I bought some running shoes and started running. I bought a garmin tri watch off marketplace and the fella I bought it off of introduced me to a local tri club. I joined and started training some. I competed in my first sprint and loved, though I can barely swim. This past year I entered an Oly and again loved it though my time was worse than horrible. I still can't swim very good. I just finished a half marathon last weekend with a time of 2.00:36. I will be competing in my first full marathon this coming weekend. Then I will start training for Memphis 70.3

FAMILY STATUS: Married and custody of our 4 yo grandson, puts a kink in my training. BTW I just turned 55

CURRENT TRAINING: taper for an upcoming marathon, then I will start training for a 70.3

THIS YEARS RACES: April 2 Bentonville Half Marathon, April 9 Hogeye marathon, Oct 1 Memphis 70.3, November Tulsa Marathon

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: to learn more about the sport, about myself, and my abilities

WHAT MAKES ME A GOOD MANATEE: I will ask questions.....lots of questions and soak up knowledge like a sponge.

A couple more things about me. I recently became a licensed official with USA Cycling, I have a pretty cool story about my olympic tri

Welcome Scot!
You definitely need to share your oly tri cool story!!
2022-04-06 4:25 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by scotyNAME: ScotOTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook, of course. twitter @scoty67, strava, you will have to find me Scot Hendren, I am on insta, but not very oftenSTORY: Many years ago I was into cycling with the idea of giving tri a try. Fast forward I got out of cycling until fall of 2019 and decided to buy another bike. It was kinda late in the season and most organized rides were shutting down so I bought some running shoes and started running. I bought a garmin tri watch off marketplace and the fella I bought it off of introduced me to a local tri club. I joined and started training some. I competed in my first sprint and loved, though I can barely swim. This past year I entered an Oly and again loved it though my time was worse than horrible. I still can't swim very good. I just finished a half marathon last weekend with a time of 2.00:36. I will be competing in my first full marathon this coming weekend. Then I will start training for Memphis 70.3FAMILY STATUS: Married and custody of our 4 yo grandson, puts a kink in my training. BTW I just turned 55CURRENT TRAINING: taper for an upcoming marathon, then I will start training for a 70.3THIS YEARS RACES: April 2 Bentonville Half Marathon, April 9 Hogeye marathon, Oct 1 Memphis 70.3, November Tulsa MarathonGOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: to learn more about the sport, about myself, and my abilitiesWHAT MAKES ME A GOOD MANATEE: I will ask questions.....lots of questions and soak up knowledge like a sponge.A couple more things about me. I recently became a licensed official with USA Cycling, I have a pretty cool story about my olympic tri
Welcome Scot!You definitely need to share your oly tri cool story!!
Hi Scott. Manatee rule (that I just made up) you gotta tell the tale if you mention it.
2022-04-06 6:34 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Here goes my story. I was training for an olympic tri last year. In July we got custody of our grandson, he is four. My wife was working 12/14 hour days so I had to stop training to help take care of him. Fast forward to September, race weekend, and I am volunteering on set up. As packet pick up opens I realize I have already paid for it so I want my swag bag. Standing in line to get my packet and visiting with friends I manage to talk myself into one of the dumbest things in my life. Trust me folks I have talked myself into some really dumb stuff. Yep that's right. I talked myself into competing in the race. Now mind you I haven't done any or very little since July. I can barely swim, like just barely keep my head above water. My reasoning is that this particular tri is done in a F1 style where it is broke in two. Essentially it is two sprints back two back. I told myself that surely I could do a 700 meter swim then bike and run then a 800 meter swim, bike and run. No sweat.

Day of race: I am on the pool deck, nervous as a longtailed cat in a rocking chair factory. I am here I am going through with this. Did I mention that I haven't trained in two months and I can barely swim? I am at the back of the line, you know where the slow swimmers are. I am in the water, this sucks. I am hating myself for this stupid decision, I cannot believe I talked myself into this. I am dying. This is torture. I have swam 50 yards! I have completed 100 yards and headed for my third 50. I have talked myself into quitting. As soon as I get back to the other end, because I can't crawl out on the opposite end, I am climbing out of the pool and headed home in shame. As I approach the wall there was a young lady there that was further in the quitting decision than I was. Looked at her and said come on lets do another 50 then we can quit. We got to the other wall and I once again said lets do another. Now I have realized I can't quit because I am pushing her to not quit. Next thing I know we are 400 yards into the swim. I kept coaxing her and by doing that I was coaxing myself. Finally we are able to crawl out of the pool and head to t1. We roll out of t1 together and stayed with each other every pedal stroke and ever step of the way.

Back into the pool ****amnit. Again we coax each other through every stroke for 800 yards. It was a combination or walking, swimming, floating, something that resembled swimming, pulling myself along the lane lines. Whatever it took to get to the other end of the pool. Finally once again we are out of the pool. She climbed out about 50 yards ahead of me. She stayed ahead of me through the second lap of the second bike when she went wide on a corner hit a cone and went down. We later found out that she broke her leg in that spill. I continued and finished the race.

My time was horrible. They were starting the awards ceremony as I crossed the finish line, I did finish. Shanda, either later that day or the next found me on Facebook and we have remained friends since.

I am proof that you do not need training to get through a triathlon, but I can assure you it sure makes it easier.

Hope you guys enjoy!
2022-04-06 7:40 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Here goes my story. I was training for an olympic tri last year. In July we got custody of our grandson, he is four. My wife was working 12/14 hour days so I had to stop training to help take care of him. Fast forward to September, race weekend, and I am volunteering on set up. As packet pick up opens I realize I have already paid for it so I want my swag bag. Standing in line to get my packet and visiting with friends I manage to talk myself into one of the dumbest things in my life. Trust me folks I have talked myself into some really dumb stuff. Yep that's right. I talked myself into competing in the race. Now mind you I haven't done any or very little since July. I can barely swim, like just barely keep my head above water. My reasoning is that this particular tri is done in a F1 style where it is broke in two. Essentially it is two sprints back two back. I told myself that surely I could do a 700 meter swim then bike and run then a 800 meter swim, bike and run. No sweat.

Day of race: I am on the pool deck, nervous as a longtailed cat in a rocking chair factory. I am here I am going through with this. Did I mention that I haven't trained in two months and I can barely swim? I am at the back of the line, you know where the slow swimmers are. I am in the water, this sucks. I am hating myself for this stupid decision, I cannot believe I talked myself into this. I am dying. This is torture. I have swam 50 yards! I have completed 100 yards and headed for my third 50. I have talked myself into quitting. As soon as I get back to the other end, because I can't crawl out on the opposite end, I am climbing out of the pool and headed home in shame. As I approach the wall there was a young lady there that was further in the quitting decision than I was. Looked at her and said come on lets do another 50 then we can quit. We got to the other wall and I once again said lets do another. Now I have realized I can't quit because I am pushing her to not quit. Next thing I know we are 400 yards into the swim. I kept coaxing her and by doing that I was coaxing myself. Finally we are able to crawl out of the pool and head to t1. We roll out of t1 together and stayed with each other every pedal stroke and ever step of the way.

Back into the pool ****amnit. Again we coax each other through every stroke for 800 yards. It was a combination or walking, swimming, floating, something that resembled swimming, pulling myself along the lane lines. Whatever it took to get to the other end of the pool. Finally once again we are out of the pool. She climbed out about 50 yards ahead of me. She stayed ahead of me through the second lap of the second bike when she went wide on a corner hit a cone and went down. We later found out that she broke her leg in that spill. I continued and finished the race.

My time was horrible. They were starting the awards ceremony as I crossed the finish line, I did finish. Shanda, either later that day or the next found me on Facebook and we have remained friends since.

I am proof that you do not need training to get through a triathlon, but I can assure you it sure makes it easier.

Hope you guys enjoy!

This is absolutely the best story ever!! haha

2022-04-06 8:37 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Expert
Great story.
2022-04-07 9:02 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Champion
Bronze member
That was a great story and showed great preserveance. Swim lessons may be in order
2022-04-07 11:14 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Scot - what an incredible story, wow!  That is some major perseverance and cool how you and your new friend kept pushing each other. Too bad her race story had such a painful ending.

2022-04-07 2:19 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by scoty Here goes my story. I was training for an olympic tri last year. In July we got custody of our grandson, he is four. My wife was working 12/14 hour days so I had to stop training to help take care of him. Fast forward to September, race weekend, and I am volunteering on set up. As packet pick up opens I realize I have already paid for it so I want my swag bag. Standing in line to get my packet and visiting with friends I manage to talk myself into one of the dumbest things in my life. Trust me folks I have talked myself into some really dumb stuff. Yep that's right. I talked myself into competing in the race. Now mind you I haven't done any or very little since July. I can barely swim, like just barely keep my head above water. My reasoning is that this particular tri is done in a F1 style where it is broke in two. Essentially it is two sprints back two back. I told myself that surely I could do a 700 meter swim then bike and run then a 800 meter swim, bike and run. No sweat. Day of race: I am on the pool deck, nervous as a longtailed cat in a rocking chair factory. I am here I am going through with this. Did I mention that I haven't trained in two months and I can barely swim? I am at the back of the line, you know where the slow swimmers are. I am in the water, this sucks. I am hating myself for this stupid decision, I cannot believe I talked myself into this. I am dying. This is torture. I have swam 50 yards! I have completed 100 yards and headed for my third 50. I have talked myself into quitting. As soon as I get back to the other end, because I can't crawl out on the opposite end, I am climbing out of the pool and headed home in shame. As I approach the wall there was a young lady there that was further in the quitting decision than I was. Looked at her and said come on lets do another 50 then we can quit. We got to the other wall and I once again said lets do another. Now I have realized I can't quit because I am pushing her to not quit. Next thing I know we are 400 yards into the swim. I kept coaxing her and by doing that I was coaxing myself. Finally we are able to crawl out of the pool and head to t1. We roll out of t1 together and stayed with each other every pedal stroke and ever step of the way. Back into the pool ****amnit. Again we coax each other through every stroke for 800 yards. It was a combination or walking, swimming, floating, something that resembled swimming, pulling myself along the lane lines. Whatever it took to get to the other end of the pool. Finally once again we are out of the pool. She climbed out about 50 yards ahead of me. She stayed ahead of me through the second lap of the second bike when she went wide on a corner hit a cone and went down. We later found out that she broke her leg in that spill. I continued and finished the race. My time was horrible. They were starting the awards ceremony as I crossed the finish line, I did finish. Shanda, either later that day or the next found me on Facebook and we have remained friends since. I am proof that you do not need training to get through a triathlon, but I can assure you it sure makes it easier. Hope you guys enjoy!

It is awesome the way you make friends in this sport!  I do hope that Shanda has fully recovered from her spill and leg break.

2022-04-07 6:24 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Unfortunately she has not fully recovered. It appears she has torn all the medial ankle ligmanents so she has to see a surgeon. The actual break has healed.

2022-04-07 8:21 PM

User image

Expert

Unfortunately she has not fully recovered. It appears she has torn all the medial ankle ligmanents so she has to see a surgeon. The actual break has healed.

Yikes! That's tough. Hopefully she heals well.
2022-04-07 8:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
I changed the trainer tire to the road tire, took the pedals, electronics and water bottle off, and cleaned my bike. Saturday I drop off my bike at the "local bike shop" (3 hours away) for Tribike Transport to take it to Houston. God Speed Fireball. Lets see how this works. In my head I'm scouring flea markets on Thursday to buy a used ten speed. Just planning for worst case scenario.

Edited by JBacarella 2022-04-07 8:27 PM
2022-04-08 6:27 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by scoty Unfortunately she has not fully recovered. It appears she has torn all the medial ankle ligmanents so she has to see a surgeon. The actual break has healed.

ARG! Please encourage her to follow up on that. Rehab can be a b*tch but the payoff is real.

2022-04-08 6:33 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella I changed the trainer tire to the road tire, took the pedals, electronics and water bottle off, and cleaned my bike. Saturday I drop off my bike at the "local bike shop" (3 hours away) for Tribike Transport to take it to Houston. God Speed Fireball. Lets see how this works. In my head I'm scouring flea markets on Thursday to buy a used ten speed. Just planning for worst case scenario.

Oh, you'll bike will get there just fine. In fact, it may be in T1 waiting for you. Just be sure to get your tires to the correct PSI. That is the worst at IM events -- the bike pump situation.  Tri Bike Transport should have pumps there for you to use though. They should also a pedal wrench for you (although packing one would not be the worst idea ever).

2022-04-08 8:45 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella I changed the trainer tire to the road tire, took the pedals, electronics and water bottle off, and cleaned my bike. Saturday I drop off my bike at the "local bike shop" (3 hours away) for Tribike Transport to take it to Houston. God Speed Fireball. Lets see how this works. In my head I'm scouring flea markets on Thursday to buy a used ten speed. Just planning for worst case scenario.

Let the race nightmares begin! Everything will be fine and you are going to crush it!

2022-04-08 3:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by amd723

Let the race nightmares begin! Everything will be fine and you are going to crush it!

What she said. It will be GREAT! (The race, not the nightmares!!)

Edited by ceilidh 2022-04-08 3:29 PM
2022-04-08 3:40 PM
in reply to: canadarn2001

Originally posted by canadarn2001

Ok everyone. Now that my 100 mile RUN is over, I am looking forward to starting my training for my first 100 mile bike ride of the year.

I have signed up for the Fletcher Flyer on June 2nd. I think’s about 8 weeks. Does anyone know of an eight week training plan? My timeon the bike has been limited but I feel like I have the endurance/fitness to get back into it.

Let me know your thoughts?

Thanks!

Excellent job on the 100 mile run!!!!
2022-04-08 4:23 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

April 9-10
No racers that I know of this week

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

2022-04-08 7:20 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

April 9-10
No racers that I know of this week

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

I wish everyone a nice weekend, with some great training, but also relaxing moments.
2022-04-08 9:02 PM
in reply to: #5279172

User image

I'm running in my first marathon. The Hogeye Marathon in Springdale, AR

2022-04-09 3:57 AM

User image

Munich, Bayern

Hope you guys enjoy!

Wow what a great story, thank you for sharing!
2022-04-09 7:12 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by scoty I'm running in my first marathon. The Hogeye Marathon in Springdale, AR

Dooo eeettt!!!!

P.S. I'm sorry, Scot, I didn't have you on my list yet. 

2022-04-09 9:59 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by scoty I'm running in my first marathon. The Hogeye Marathon in Springdale, AR

Dooo eeettt!!!!

P.S. I'm sorry, Scot, I didn't have you on my list yet. 

Go SCOT!! I hope your first is wonderful!
2022-04-09 11:59 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

I'm running in my first marathon. The Hogeye Marathon in Springdale, AR

Have fun!!! Looking forward to read your report!
When I was getting ready for my first marathon, someone in this group told me: the first one is the best - it's always a PR!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 29136 Posts: 1069

2022-12-30 6:00 AM jmhpsu93