BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-09-19 9:54 AM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed

Dan,  Congrats on your first HIM.  Very proud of you.  Sounds like it was a tough race--hilly bike and hot hot run.  Way to go!

David, That's one beautiful best friend you've got there. 

Question for the group:  What goes into your decision to move up to the next race distance?  How do you decide it's time?  And, when you did, what it the right decision?  Anybody wish they would have waited?

2011-09-19 10:18 AM
in reply to: #3691942

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
jfought - 2011-09-19 7:54 AM

move up to the next race distance?  How do you decide it's time?  And, when you did, what it the right decision?  Anybody wish they would have waited?

That is a great question and I am sure that others can answer it better.  For me it was just the next race... After my 1st Sprint it was time to try an Olympic.  After my 1st Olympic it was time to try the 1/2, etc... Now keep in mind I threw a couple of other races in between, but I had always set my sights on the following race season. 

Fast forward to now with a daughter things would be completely different.  However since I have done every distance and know what to expect I don't think I am the right person to answer that.  I think it would have taken me a lot longer to get to the Ironman distance.

2011-09-19 10:39 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
jfought - 2011-09-19 10:54 AM

Question for the group:  What goes into your decision to move up to the next race distance?  How do you decide it's time?  And, when you did, what it the right decision?  Anybody wish they would have waited?

a few superbowl's ago i got attacked by the killer beers.  next thing i knew there was an email in my inbox congratulating me on registering for buffalo spring's 70.3 in june.  i figured i'd better do something before than so i signed up for a what used to be a 1/4 ironman at lone star down in galveston.  i had to find a bike as well.   and a pool. 

so a him was my second race.  as race day drew closer i started wondering wtf i got myself into (hahaha, some of the peeps that have been around here for a while may remember the nervous pm's and email).  the day before the race i drove the course with a buddy and really started wondering wtf i got myself into.  i'd never ridden a bike in and out of canyons before.  then by mile 2 on the bike i was cursing myself for signing up for this stupid sh+t.  then on the run when it was a little warm (100+) i realized i probably didn't take my nutrition seriously enough because there was more blood than dark yellow liquid in my urine.

but.... if i had waited i never would have passed a wheelchair athlete climbing out of the last canyon around mile 9 on the run.  her head was hung so low.  the inside of her legs were just raw and blood all over.  but she was moving forward.  i can see her in my head right now like it was yesterday.  and i can tell you straight up, i think of her when life gets challenging... and then i usually smile and am so grateful for the opportunity to be out there on that day. 

Edited by fattyfatfat 2011-09-19 10:42 AM
2011-09-19 10:40 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon

Dan- Congratulations!!! Fantastic job on your first HIM! Now get that RR done. You're killing us!

Love the pics of gorgeous George! He looks like such a sweetie!

Happy, Happy Birthday, Kyla!!!

Jayne- My progression to the next distance was much like Steve's. I just kept making the next goal and giving myself plenty of time to train for it. Mind you, I'm not that great at the "giving myself plenty of time to train for it" now, but I really think if your schedule allows you the time to follow a training plan and you follow it faithfully, by the time you're done training you will be ready physically. Mentally, I think it helps to do each successive distance before moving up in order to build your confidence.

2011-09-19 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3692033

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
fattyfatfat - 2011-09-19 8:39 AM
jfought - 2011-09-19 10:54 AM

a few superbowl's ago i got attacked by the killer beers.  next thing i knew there was an email in my inbox congratulating me on registering for buffalo spring's 70.3 in june.  i figured i'd better do something before than so i signed up for a what used to be a 1/4 ironman at lone star down in galveston.  i had to find a bike as well.   and a pool. 

so a him was my second race.  as race day drew closer i started wondering wtf i got myself into (hahaha, some of the peeps that have been around here for a while may remember the nervous pm's and email).  the day before the race i drove the course with a buddy and really started wondering wtf i got myself into.  i'd never ridden a bike in and out of canyons before.  then by mile 2 on the bike i was cursing myself for signing up for this stupid sh+t.  then on the run when it was a little warm (100+) i realized i probably didn't take my nutrition seriously enough because there was more blood than dark yellow liquid in my urine.

but.... if i had waited i never would have passed a wheelchair athlete climbing out of the last canyon around mile 9 on the run.  her head was hung so low.  the inside of her legs were just raw and blood all over.  but she was moving forward.  i can see her in my head right now like it was yesterday.  and i can tell you straight up, i think of her when life gets challenging... and then i usually smile and am so grateful for the opportunity to be out there on that day. 

LOVE this story, John! Realizing how lucky we really are has gotten me through many dark spots as well. Sometimes we just need a reminder

2011-09-19 11:41 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
jfought - 2011-09-19 9:54 AM

Dan,  Congrats on your first HIM.  Very proud of you.  Sounds like it was a tough race--hilly bike and hot hot run.  Way to go!

David, That's one beautiful best friend you've got there. 

I started "thinking" about doing IM in 2002 after watching my very first IM MOO!  It took me until 2010 to actually do it in part because I started focusing on running and because I couldn't swim a stroke.  Fast forward to my first super sprint in 2008 (200 yard swim gasping on my back). After that successful experience, I decided in 2009 I could handle a sprint, an Oly and at the end of the season a HIM.  Next day I signed up for IM WI.  I needed that progression to tell me I could handle the swim and the swim alone.  I wouldn't change a thing about the rapid progression in 2009.  My only regret is wasting all that time between 2002-2008 not learning how to swim.

I really like all the distances.  In '11 I hope to add more short stuff which is fun and fast and only do one HIM leading up to MOO.

For you, I think you can do a HIM next year if you want to.   Just don't feel pressured because that's what everyone else is doing.  I didn't (obviously!) and it worked fine for me.

2011-09-19 12:41 PM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

jfought - 2011-09-19 9:54 AM  Question for the group:  What goes into your decision to move up to the next race distance?  How do you decide it's time?  And, when you did, what it the right decision?  Anybody wish they would have waited?

FWIW, I'll put my $.02  in here and say it depends.  WOW, really going out on limb!  Anyway some rhetorical questions for you to ponder ...... 

• Why do you want to go long(er)?  What really is the GOAL?  Is it just because everybody else is going long(er)?  Does it just seem like the natural progression?  It's on the bucket list?  Looking for the next challenge?  I really want that tattoo?  Peer Beer Pressure, like in Fatty's case? Laughing    I will challenge you here and say that getting fast(er) in whatever distance can be just as hard as moving up in distance. 
  • What is your life situation and time constraints?  Sometimes us "Type A" personalities (most tri people) need to be reminded that this is just a hobby. You don't want to burn yourself out in 2 or 3 years if you want to keep the "lifestyle."  
  • How competitive are you?  If you have a strong competitive background and have the need to compete instead of complete, you will find your progression different.
  • What is your athletic background?  Everybody has a strong and weak section of thier tri, except Ryan!  Laughing  And some of these weaknesses are easier to fix than others, ie, you won't drown if you are a weak runner and can't make the running distance.
  •  How much do you "enjoy" your Pain Cave?  After watching some of the MOO athletes already doing the Ironman Shuffle at mile 3 of their marathon a couple of weekends ago I thought to myself...... why?  I know, I know, they all had their reasons so you don't ask that question but none of them looked like they were having any fun!  

I am sure I missed something here, and I know the peeps will point those errors of omission out to me, but the bottom line comes down to there are lots of reasons behind the decision to go long(er) and when and if YOU should do it.  Make sure it meet your goals.  Going long(er) does not ever have to happen and doesn't automatically make you a better triathlete.  For example, one of the best athletes in my tri clubs only competes in sprints ....  but he wins every one he does.  That is HIS goal.     

2011-09-19 2:15 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
jfought - 2011-09-19 7:54 AM

Jayne

My first season was more of a "learn to swim" in order to finish a sprint tri sort of season.

The next year, I trained for an Olympic and 2 longish sprints.  For me, I think I wanted to do HIM the next year, because it allowed my back of swim pack self more time to catch up to the field.  Sad, but true!  My goal for that race was to finish with a smile...and despite a pretty tough day out there with a bit of heat, I did finish with a smile.

And then I wanted to do it better, so signed up for 2 HIM's the next year and then once I realized I had built up some endurance, IM seemed like a natural progression to me and a challenge that while daunting, seemed attainable.  My goal for this IM was to get to the starting line healthy, willing and able and let the day unfold.  And so it was!

So, 5 seasons later, here I am and I want to do another IM!!!  Who knew?  I am glad I went through the progression...partly for me it is because I really needed the confidence to be able to swim the distance without completely ruining myself.  I also think there is more to training schedules than training.  It has taken me until this season to work out a way to make every workout count.  I did a lot less back to back sessions this time around, and rushed around a lot less.  

Home life was much happier by posting workouts, talking about social plans ahead of time and being committed to them, planning ahead of time so you are less likely to miss long sessions. I think this is something that gets shoved under the rug, but both Kathy and I were used to two nights a week where I had to go swim or run after work.  Luckily she also had practice two nights a week, so we tried to coincide that so we had more together time.

I think if you define your goals ahead of time and commit to a plan, get the family on board, whatever your heart desires is attainable.  And communicate along the way!  Good luck!

2011-09-19 2:24 PM
in reply to: #3692287

User image

Champion
badgerintx - 2011-09-19 12:41 PM

jfought - 2011-09-19 9:54 AM  Question for the group:  What goes into your decision to move up to the next race distance?  How do you decide it's time?  And, when you did, what it the right decision?  Anybody wish they would have waited?

FWIW, I'll put my $.02  in here and say it depends.  WOW, really going out on limb!  Anyway some rhetorical questions for you to ponder ...... 

• Why do you want to go long(er)?  What really is the GOAL?  Is it just because everybody else is going long(er)?  Does it just seem like the natural progression?  It's on the bucket list?  Looking for the next challenge?  I really want that tattoo?  Peer Beer Pressure, like in Fatty's case? Laughing    I will challenge you here and say that getting fast(er) in whatever distance can be just as hard as moving up in distance. 
  • What is your life situation and time constraints?  Sometimes us "Type A" personalities (most tri people) need to be reminded that this is just a hobby. You don't want to burn yourself out in 2 or 3 years if you want to keep the "lifestyle."  
  • How competitive are you?  If you have a strong competitive background and have the need to compete instead of complete, you will find your progression different.
  • What is your athletic background?  Everybody has a strong and weak section of thier tri, except Ryan!  Laughing  And some of these weaknesses are easier to fix than others, ie, you won't drown if you are a weak runner and can't make the running distance.
  •  How much do you "enjoy" your Pain Cave?  After watching some of the MOO athletes already doing the Ironman Shuffle at mile 3 of their marathon a couple of weekends ago I thought to myself...... why?  I know, I know, they all had their reasons so you don't ask that question but none of them looked like they were having any fun!  

I am sure I missed something here, and I know the peeps will point those errors of omission out to me, but the bottom line comes down to there are lots of reasons behind the decision to go long(er) and when and if YOU should do it.  Make sure it meet your goals.  Going long(er) does not ever have to happen and doesn't automatically make you a better triathlete.  For example, one of the best athletes in my tri clubs only competes in sprints ....  but he wins every one he does.  That is HIS goal.     

I hope I wasn't one of those shufflers at the 3m mark!

2011-09-19 3:41 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
badgerintx - 2011-09-19 1:41 PM

I had surgery on both legs last November for exertional compartment syndrome.  Before surgery, running was NOT an option.  Now, I can run pain free (well, it's a good pain now, LOLMy first season goal was to get healthy, build a base, and stay injury free.  I want to see what this 45 year old body can do.  And, the more I push myself the more I enjoy it. 

It's been a very successful first season.  I'm not fast, but I'm doing it.  I don't care how I measure up to others (well, maybe just a little.  I'm ok as long as I'm not last!).  At the beginning of the season, I never thought I would be able to complete an Oly.  But, by the time it rolled around, I was pretty much ready.  I'm really motivated by having that "carrot" (longer race) dangling out there in front of me.   

Working full time and fitting in my training is tough.  It means a lot of 4:30am mornings, but I've been making it work and trying to keep a healthy balance.  My kids are either in college or living on their own.  The empty nest is a GOOD thing. 

I don't want to burn out.  I really want this to be a "lifestyle" for many years to come.  This is probably the one and only thing that is giving my pause.  I don't want to rush to that "Ironman" goal and then get bored with triathlon.  Maybe this is a stupid thing to worry about.  Maybe when I get to that goal, I will just automatically find a new "goal." Maybe work on a certain distance, or speed, or something. 

Right now, I just want to complete.  Mostly because I'm still running to slow to compete.  Laughing  And, I'm ok with that for the time being.

I'm a new swimmer and a new runner, but I feel pretty confident with my swim.  The running is coming along, but I still have a long way to go. When thinking about a HIM, the swim feels fine, the bike will be work--but doable, the run scares the heck out of me.  Like you said, I can always walk/jog my way to the finish line.

Honestly, I haven't spent a lot of time deep in the pain cave.  Sure, there have been times when it's hurt, and I wanted to throw up, and I couldn't sleep because my legs ached so bad, and I thought I was going to die in the lake one day, but it was all good in the end Laughing  I'll have to experience this one and figure it out.  Adapt and overcome, right?  I've been working hard this year to build an endurance base, but now I need to work on training efficiently (like Kim was mentioning).  I need to maximize my training time and get the most out of each workout. 

There are two races I'm looking at:

1) Muncie HIM: 2.5 hrs from home, July 7th (early in the season--less time to train and get ready for it), and hot hot hot.

2) Steelhead HIM: 1.5 hrs from home, Aug. 17ish, (more time to train), BUT the swim has been cancelled 2 of the last 5 years because of unsafe conditions in Lake Michigan.  That's a lot of training hours and $$$ for a race that might end up being a duathon. 

2011-09-19 3:45 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

you're wrong.  the singular use of the word case is nothing short of ridiculousness.  clearly if you were to look in my beer fridges there is more than a case.

as for the rest of your post... awesome. 

2011-09-19 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3692592

User image

Master

Busy day here, dayum!! And I don't have time to read it all, wah!! Thanks for the bday wishes!! I'm about to bake myself a cake... cuz no one else did. (Insert violins here.) Of course I have a meeting and won't be home tonight to enjoy it, but it'll be here just the same!! I did get hours and hours of promised massages from the kids and a fancy new ipad from the hunny (which I can trade in for an iphone 5 should I decide to... decisions, decisions...)

Looking forward to catching up on the discussions later! Carry on...

2011-09-19 4:23 PM
in reply to: #3692479

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

SSMinnow - 2011-09-19 2:24 PM I hope I wasn't one of those shufflers at the 3m mark!

No, a 4:28 IM marathon is not shuffling!  

fattyfatfat - 2011-09-19 3:45 PM  you're wrong.  the singular use of the word case is nothing short of ridiculousness.  clearly if you were to look in my beer fridges there is more than acase.  

I agree 100% and stand timidly corrected in the corner!   BEERSssssssssssssssssss!!! 

jfought - 2011-09-19 3:41 PM   There are two races I'm looking at: 

1) Muncie HIM: 2.5 hrs from home, July 7th (early in the season--less time to train and get ready for it), and hot hot hot.

2) Steelhead HIM: 1.5 hrs from home, Aug. 17ish, (more time to train), BUT the swim has been cancelled 2 of the last 5 years because of unsafe conditions in Lake Michigan.  That's a lot of training hours and $$$ for a race that might end up being a duathon. 

Come and do Racine with the Minnow and I!!!!  It would be fun and we can help calm your nerves!   Surprised

Edited by badgerintx 2011-09-19 4:27 PM
2011-09-19 4:26 PM
in reply to: #3692609

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
kkcbelle - 2011-09-19 2:54 PM

Busy day here, dayum!! And I don't have time to read it all, wah!! Thanks for the bday wishes!! I'm about to bake myself a cake... cuz no one else did. (Insert violins here.) Of course I have a meeting and won't be home tonight to enjoy it, but it'll be here just the same!! I did get hours and hours of promised massages from the kids and a fancy new ipad from the hunny (which I can trade in for an iphone 5 should I decide to... decisions, decisions...)

Looking forward to catching up on the discussions later! Carry on...

Happy Birthday Young lady

2011-09-19 4:30 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Only thing I can add to the conversation regarding going long that hasn't already been said is this :

The 'Paincave' - Dino you mentioned how long can you stay in the paincave. To me the paincave in a IM was wayyyyy different that a spint or Oly. It was more of a gentle pain in the IM. To me the shorter the race, the more intense the paincave becomes.

Oh and Jayne, et.al community spots for IM Canada open on Oct 3.

2011-09-19 5:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB

I'm BACK!!  Moving is over and after a couple weeks without ANY internet or cable connectivity to the outside world (other than thru my iPhone - not very convenient) -- I am back in action!  WooHOO!  Tongue out

Got to say, I've been missing you guys/gals... Cry

Anyway, lots of catching up to do... back in later.Laughing

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KYLA!!

2011-09-19 6:14 PM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Wow, lots going on overnight ( Aussie night)!Well done Dan, great first HIM!Happy Birthday Kyla, my wife gave me an iPad for my birthday too, I love it. Jayne, I'm no more experienced than you but here's my take on the progression thing: Some people seem to see IM as the ultimate macho achievement and just want to get it done so they can boast about it, I think that type of person will do one then lose interest and probably be fat and unfit the next time you bump into them.For others it seems like the natural thing to extend themselves and see what they are capable of; once they've done an IM they might never feel the desire to do one again but they'll continue with triathlons of a shorter distance.The third group seem to gravitate to the long distance because it suits them better.A friend of mine has done 8 IM's including Kona and he swears that he finds IM's easier than HIM's because the training and racing is at a lower intensity despite the increased distance.I suppose I can relate to that from a running point of view, I find 10k and HM's "easier" than 5k's even though I have to train a lot harder to prepare for them.I suppose you just have to see how your training goes and then set yourself a challenge, either faster or longer!
2011-09-19 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3692664

User image

Champion
badgerintx - 2011-09-19 4:23 PM

SSMinnow - 2011-09-19 2:24 PM I hope I wasn't one of those shufflers at the 3m mark!

No, a 4:28 IM marathon is not shuffling!  

fattyfatfat - 2011-09-19 3:45 PM  you're wrong.  the singular use of the word case is nothing short of ridiculousness.  clearly if you were to look in my beer fridges there is more than acase.  

I agree 100% and stand timidly corrected in the corner!   BEERSssssssssssssssssss!!! 

jfought - 2011-09-19 3:41 PM   There are two races I'm looking at: 

Come and do Racine with the Minnow and I!!!!  It would be fun and we can help calm your nerves!   Surprised

Uhm, the Minnow is more than likely doing the REV3 Wisconsin Dells HIM in '12 versus Racine.   Remember?  Very different course--smoother swim than Lake Michigan and a kick @ss hilly bike course that skirts through the Baraboo bluffs.  Plus it's later in the season so it should be even hotter than Racine Undecided!!

Trevor, you and I have differing points of view on the pain cave.  For me, the IM marathon is excruiating that last 10K (as evidenced by my increased walking this year).  I agree that sprints and Oly's have a higher instensity, but they are so short that I seem to be able to handle them better.  I'll get a chance to put my money where my mouth is in '12...doing more short distance races and only one HIM!

PS. Welcome Back Brent!

Edited by SSMinnow 2011-09-19 6:36 PM
2011-09-19 6:42 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
And I was wondering if it was just me. There was nothing gentle about the pain cave I was in from mile 16 until the finish! Excruciating is a pretty good adjective! It hurt much more than my HIM run which hurt like he!! *insert screaming emoticon*

Edited by kt65 2011-09-19 6:43 PM
2011-09-19 7:35 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Happy Birthday Kyla!!

Sorry for keeping everyone waiting on the RR.  I got back late Monday afternoon (9 hour drive from the race place) and a long hot bath, a few drinks and a relaxing dinner with my wife were all I had the energy for.   I promise the RR will be available by Tues am for your reading pleasure.

Jayne: Take your time, follow a plan and listen to your body.  Back in 2008 I wanted to do an Oly, but when I tried to ramp up my run/bike distances per a beginner plan, my knees said "no".   In 2009 I did my first Oly and figured I would be able to move up to HIM in 2010.  When I tried to ramp up my bike/run distances per a beginner plan, my hips and knees said "no" and I backed off and stayed with the Oly distance.    This year, after maintaining a very consistent bike/run base through the winter, my body cooperated and I was able to do the HIM.    I'm now thinking I will wait until 2013 before trying an IM.   My experience so far says consistency and slow build are the right approach for me.   Younger folks may be able to get away with higher intensity training and quicker ramps, but I just get hurt. 

David: great pics of George.  He is gorgeous.

2011-09-19 8:39 PM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA

Great job on your HIM, Dan!  Can't wait to read your RR. (I'm also reminded I have yet to finish mine.  oops.)

Happy Birthday, Kyla! 

Jayne- regarding going long, I think Dino provided a great post to help you figure out what you want to do.  Personally, my initial desire to go long is a childhood dream but I've found I enjoy the longer distances much more.

2011-09-19 9:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia

A great answer to a great question I've thought about myself lately.  

Just one of many, many reasons why this group is so awesome.

2011-09-19 10:03 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

Hey Peeps!  Trying to get back in the game here after too much travel.  I am in the process of catching up on all the posts but have only made it to page 250!!!  I can tell there was some tapering going on and some post IM time...DAYUM!!  you people have really upped the post count in three weeks!!!

Been crazy here.  Went to North Carolina the week before labor day.  Came home Thurs. and then drove to Long Island with the family for my grandfathers 90th b-day.  Turns out my dad was in the hospital with suspected viral meningits.  Spent a few days sitting with him, made it to my Pop's party and then flew from JFK to Korea on labor day.  Spent a week there eating too much Kim Che (good stuff but they serve it with EVERYTHING!).  Was supposed to come home on Saturday but then plans changed and I had to go to Japan for another week.  While there my uncle passed away (had been battling esophogus cancer for a couple of years) so that was really tough being away during that time and not being there for my mom since my dad was still sick.  I missed the kids first day of school (including Cody's first day of Kindergarten), Cody and Tommy's first soccer games of the season (Cody scored 4 goals and Tommy scored 2!) and Jeremy's birthday.  Kris has to shoulder a lot while I was gone - got her mom to watch the kids so she could go to my uncle's funeral (who died of the same thing her dad died of two months earlier) -  shuttling three kids around to sports and first week of school open houses and everything else.

Anyway, got home last thursday and getting back into the swing of things.  I had a great August of training for my Marathon (2 weeks from yesterday - yikes!) with a PB of 142 miles but September has sucked for running with the travel.  Oh, well.  I will finish it, just likley not in under 4 hours like was my plan.  It is all good though, good to be home, late celebration for Jeremy's b-day, boys both scored for me in their second soccer games, one last longish run yesterday and now it is taper time (although I feel like I have been tapering all month!!)

Great results from everyone over the past several weeks (and probably some great results I haven't read about in the 20 pages I still have to get caught up on!!)  Congrats to all.  I will be catching up on all the race reports the rest of the week!

2011-09-19 10:22 PM
in reply to: #3692969

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
gdale - 2011-09-19 8:03 PM

Hey Peeps!  Trying to get back in the game here after too much travel.  I am in the process of catching up on all the posts but have only made it to page 250!!!  I can tell there was some tapering going on and some post IM time...DAYUM!!  you people have really upped the post count in three weeks!!!

Been crazy here.  Went to North Carolina the week before labor day.  Came home Thurs. and then drove to Long Island with the family for my grandfathers 90th b-day.  Turns out my dad was in the hospital with suspected viral meningits.  Spent a few days sitting with him, made it to my Pop's party and then flew from JFK to Korea on labor day.  Spent a week there eating too much Kim Che (good stuff but they serve it with EVERYTHING!).  Was supposed to come home on Saturday but then plans changed and I had to go to Japan for another week.  While there my uncle passed away (had been battling esophogus cancer for a couple of years) so that was really tough being away during that time and not being there for my mom since my dad was still sick.  I missed the kids first day of school (including Cody's first day of Kindergarten), Cody and Tommy's first soccer games of the season (Cody scored 4 goals and Tommy scored 2!) and Jeremy's birthday.  Kris has to shoulder a lot while I was gone - got her mom to watch the kids so she could go to my uncle's funeral (who died of the same thing her dad died of two months earlier) -  shuttling three kids around to sports and first week of school open houses and everything else.

Anyway, got home last thursday and getting back into the swing of things.  I had a great August of training for my Marathon (2 weeks from yesterday - yikes!) with a PB of 142 miles but September has sucked for running with the travel.  Oh, well.  I will finish it, just likley not in under 4 hours like was my plan.  It is all good though, good to be home, late celebration for Jeremy's b-day, boys both scored for me in their second soccer games, one last longish run yesterday and now it is taper time (although I feel like I have been tapering all month!!)

Great results from everyone over the past several weeks (and probably some great results I haven't read about in the 20 pages I still have to get caught up on!!)  Congrats to all.  I will be catching up on all the race reports the rest of the week!

....and breath!!! Sorry to here all of this! GGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2011-09-20 5:28 AM

User image

Champion

Jayne

I think this is one of your most important considerations:

I don't want to burn out. I really want this to be a "lifestyle" for many years to come. This is probably the one and only thing that is giving my pause. I don't want to rush to that "Ironman" goal and then get bored with triathlon. Maybe this is a stupid thing to worry about. Maybe when I get to that goal, I will just automatically find a new "goal." Maybe work on a certain distance, or speed, or something.

This exact thing happened to me in marathoning.  After doing twelve and achieving my ultimate running goal, I got BORED with it.  I turned to triathlon which was a great revival, but I do wonder when I will hit the "what's next?" having started IM in my third year of the sport.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298