BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-09-20 7:33 AM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed

Edited to remove the link to my draft version of the RR since that appears not to work.  See my next post for the revised RR link.

fyi: the race I did was just outside of Nagoya and we drove through Nagoya that afternoon and early evening to get to our hotel.   One of the typhoons I mentioned yesterday pounded Nagoya with rain today and caused a major river to blow the levee.  They have requested over a million people to evacuate.   Unfortunately, that typhoon is now heading my way.  Hopefully, it will go into taper mode and/or head off to the east.

Edited by dcon 2011-09-20 7:59 AM

2011-09-20 7:48 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
The link took me to my own race log. Stay safe!
2011-09-20 7:58 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Thanks.  I just pushed the "publish" button.  Will update everyone later when I know how I did relative to others.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=269151

2011-09-20 8:13 AM
in reply to: #3693128

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
dcon - 2011-09-20 8:33 AM

Edited to remove the link to my draft version of the RR since that appears not to work.  See my next post for the revised RR link.

fyi: the race I did was just outside of Nagoya and we drove through Nagoya that afternoon and early evening to get to our hotel.   One of the typhoons I mentioned yesterday pounded Nagoya with rain today and caused a major river to blow the levee.  They have requested over a million people to evacuate.   Unfortunately, that typhoon is now heading my way.  Hopefully, it will go into taper mode and/or head off to the east.

The link worked for me.  That sounds like a TOUGH first HIM.  Overcoming the heat, hills, and rough roads is something you should feel very good about.  Thanks for the RR.

2011-09-20 8:34 AM
in reply to: #3693053

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2011-09-20 5:28 AM

Jayne

I think this is one of your most important considerations:

I don't want to burn out. I really want this to be a "lifestyle" for many years to come. This is probably the one and only thing that is giving my pause. I don't want to rush to that "Ironman" goal and then get bored with triathlon. Maybe this is a stupid thing to worry about. Maybe when I get to that goal, I will just automatically find a new "goal." Maybe work on a certain distance, or speed, or something.

This exact thing happened to me in marathoning.  After doing twelve and achieving my ultimate running goal, I got BORED with it.  I turned to triathlon which was a great revival, but I do wonder when I will hit the "what's next?" having started IM in my third year of the sport.

Ultramarathons!  ;-)

2011-09-20 8:56 AM
in reply to: #3693209

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
sdalessio - 2011-09-20 6:34 AM

Jayne

I don't want to burn out. I really want this to be a "lifestyle" for many years to come. This is probably the one and only thing that is giving my pause. I don't want to rush to that "Ironman" goal and then get bored with triathlon. Maybe this is a stupid thing to worry about. Maybe when I get to that goal, I will just automatically find a new "goal." Maybe work on a certain distance, or speed, or something.

This exact thing happened to me in marathoning.  After doing twelve and achieving my ultimate running goal, I got BORED with it.  I turned to triathlon which was a great revival, but I do wonder when I will hit the "what's next?" having started IM in my third year of the sport.

Ultramarathons!  ;-)

This is a great discussion. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE triathlon and I plan to get back to it after my 50 miler, but who's to say you need to stick with triathlons for the "lifestyle". The way I see it whatever keeps you active, healthy, and having fun is the lifestyle. For me right now endurance running fits into my life best and gives me the goals to keep me motivated. For 4 years before that, it was triathlons, I didn't really get burned out so much as decided I wanted to do something else for awhile. Whether it's a single sport, ultras, sprints, triathlon, martial arts, climbing mountains, dragon boating (is that actually a word, Kim? or do they just call it paddling?), dancing, etc, whatever keeps YOU moving and actively living your life is really what the lifestyle is all about, in my opinion.  I think it's normal for what motivates us to change from time to time and having the flexibility to allow this is what keeps us from reverting back to the couch. Just my .02

2011-09-20 9:16 AM
in reply to: #3693209

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
sdalessio - 2011-09-20 8:34 AM

Jayne

Ultramarathons!  ;-)

HA!  I can tell you with certainty that will never be on my radar.  When I finish 26.2m I am DONE.  I highly doubt I will do another stand alone marathon either.  Once I achieved my ultimate goal (Boston), the interest wained.  The thought of just trying to do one faster wasn't as exciting.  Just me.

2011-09-20 9:45 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

I through my 2 cents worth in to the discussion.

In the late 70's and early 80's I raced bicycles pretty seriously. I stopped in college in order to get my degree. I played ice hockey with only a couple of one year breaks up until two years ago when I hung up my skates. This time the change wa because I was not getting the joy I used to get from the activity.

In 2009 I took up triathlon and I get a lot of satisfaction from it. I started slowly with sprints and 1 olympic my first year. 2010 I did my only marathon, sprints, 1 olympic and 1 half IM. This year I have done more sprints, one olympic and will end with a half again. I also did two OWS's (1 2 miler and 1 one miler).

At present I have no plans for a full IM. Running 26.2m after all the rest holds no appeal for me. That might change if I can get my weight down to where I would truly like it. At that weight running longer distances might be "fun." This year I have done a race in FLA, and will do one in NY. Many of my races have been new races for me and I find I like the challange of a new courses and new places.

Burn out happens but a lot depends on your personality, why you do triathlon, who you train and race with, etc. I understand your trepidation, but since this is not something you have much control over, why worry about it?

2011-09-20 10:19 AM
in reply to: #3693053

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
SSMinnow - 2011-09-20 4:28 AM

Jayne

This is where I am at right now. I finished an IM in my 3rd year. This last month has been alot of loathing around. Which is to be expected. Its been a big build over the last few years to get here.

But I feel like I need to do an IM again next year. It just seems like that is what I need to do. I feel that if I do not sign up again for next year, that I won't have anything to shoot for. I'm trying to wrap my head around that. why.??

It sounds silly, but right now my head says how can the big race for next year only be a HIM?

2011-09-20 11:34 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.

Have to share.. My little tike is growing SO DANG FAST!!!  We are now running around the house watching her get into things... Toilet bowl, toilet paper, knife drawer, cleaning supplies, etc... !

(around-3-edit.jpg)

(avery.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
around-3-edit.jpg (92KB - 15 downloads)
avery.jpg (84KB - 12 downloads)
2011-09-20 11:53 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Great photos Steve! Her shirt reminds of of a photo of a friend's grandson. His shirt read "I only cry when ugly people hold me!"

She is sure growing up fast. These pictures will be your treasures as time passes.

2011-09-20 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3693469

User image

Extreme Veteran
swbkrun - 2011-09-20 12:34 PM

Have to share.. My little tike is growing SO DANG FAST!!!  We are now running around the house watching her get into things... Toilet bowl, toilet paper, knife drawer, cleaning supplies, etc... !

Love the pics. 

2011-09-20 12:07 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
swbkrun - 2011-09-20 11:34 AM

I'll say it again, you really should be a professional photographer!  Look at those cute little hands on the door! Doug's right, it will be amazing to look back at these over the years.

Trevor--as long you like the distance and it fits in the family plan, I don't see anything wrong with back to back IMs.  There was a time early in the plan that I considered not signing up again.  The training seemed long and I was doing 100% solo.  The more I did it, the more I realized I love the solo training and I love seeing what I can do on race day having put in all the hours.  I''ll do them as long as I feel that way.

Edited by SSMinnow 2011-09-20 12:10 PM
2011-09-20 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3693524

User image

Master

In the words of Dave Matthews... "So much to say..." !!!!! 

You guys are busy. George, welcome home, so sorry about everything, big hugs, Kris is a rock star, your kids are awesome, you rock, and we missed you!!

Dan -- awesome race. And I really liked reading about how you tried to build up to the distances but then had to back off. You are a very wise and patient man -- a true inspiration!

George (the dog) is so adorable I can't stand it!!

Deciding to go long... My story is that an IM was very first thing on my bucket list, and got put there probably 30 years ago watching Kona on TV. I said I was gonna do that before I died. Never really thought through what it meant, but figured I'd make it work at some point. Life finally led me to spin classes and friend-making and bike-purchasing and triathlons. Life circumstances finally led me to a place where I was able to look at the Big Picture and realize that Now Was The Time. Kid's schedules were manageable, I was healthy, I was able to juggle my schedule to keep up with the family's needs, the volunteer work that is important to me, and train for an IM. Loved it. Finished it. Realized that if I wanted to do it again, it needed to be that next year as things would get tremendously unpredictable after that.

I was glad I did the 2nd IM when it was done. But I found the training to be much more of a drag the 2nd time around and I had many, many moments regretting I had entered. Even up until the day of the race I had a lot of "What was I thinking?" thoughts. I love the training but there aren't enough hours in the day for me to do all of the things I want and train the way I wish I could. I also trained for 2 marathons in between IMs and mentally and physically need a break. (Slacker.) Oh, and i think I was about 3 years from soup to nuts on the IM. Did sprints and an Oly my first year (plus did a 2-day 200-mile ride), HIM second year, then the IM. 

I've spent many hours out running thinking about where I go now. And FOR ME... I am trying really hard (and it is hard for me) not to enter anything; not to let a workout that feels good lead to a race or a training plan. I miss training for fun with my friends and just doing what the day brings. (That said, I do miss training plans! Cuz I'm really anal and find them really motivating!) My schedule for the next two school years is just crazy, and I need to keep my head in the family game because that is my Number One Job and Priority!!! 

Am I taking a break from it all? No way... just not jumping into anything unless I really feel like it. I have my eye on some races, but I'm not committing to much yet, and certainly not Right Now. I love training, love being sore and tired, love eating (sad, but true!), love setting a good example for my kids, love fighting age, love challenging myself, love making friends, love training with friends -- and I get to do all of this through triathlon stuff. As everyone always says, the IM isn't going anywhere. I'll likely do another one, but not for awhile. 

And that's the view from 20,000 feet over Bellevue!!! And because I'm not committed to any training plans, I can do crazy things like meet Steve and Ryan on Thursday for a dose of Cougar Mtn. torture! And follow it up with an awesome hike with girlfriends on Friday! LOVING IT!!!!

Good luck with your decisions, Jayne!!

2011-09-20 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3693524

User image

Master
Crap! How'd that DP happen? Oh well, I know what I have to say is so important it bears repeating, but I'll spare you this time. Carry on.

Edited by kkcbelle 2011-09-20 3:28 PM
2011-09-20 3:39 PM
in reply to: #3693924

User image

Master

Me again... 

WOMEN!!! And men who care about women... Just a quick PSA and sharing a blog in which my bestest friend is the guest blogger today (9/20/11). She's a 10-year ovarian cancer survivor and mother of 2 and the single-most important and influential person in my life outside of my family. Take 5 minutes to read one small side of her story:

http://mizfitonline.com/

2011-09-20 4:19 PM
in reply to: #3693251

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
RoniS - 2011-09-20 9:56 AM
sdalessio - 2011-09-20 6:34 AM

Jayne

Ultramarathons!  ;-)

This is a great discussion. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE triathlon and I plan to get back to it after my 50 miler, but who's to say you need to stick with triathlons for the "lifestyle". The way I see it whatever keeps you active, healthy, and having fun is the lifestyle. For me right now endurance running fits into my life best and gives me the goals to keep me motivated. For 4 years before that, it was triathlons, I didn't really get burned out so much as decided I wanted to do something else for awhile. Whether it's a single sport, ultras, sprints, triathlon, martial arts, climbing mountains, dragon boating (is that actually a word, Kim? or do they just call it paddling?), dancing, etc, whatever keeps YOU moving and actively living your life is really what the lifestyle is all about, in my opinion.  I think it's normal for what motivates us to change from time to time and having the flexibility to allow this is what keeps us from reverting back to the couch. Just my .02

Roni, I 100% agree with your .02  --   Thanks for sharing.

2011-09-20 6:05 PM
in reply to: #3693946

User image

Master
Maryland
kkcbelle - 2011-09-20 4:39 PM

Me again... 

WOMEN!!! And men who care about women... Just a quick PSA and sharing a blog in which my bestest friend is the guest blogger today (9/20/11). She's a 10-year ovarian cancer survivor and mother of 2 and the single-most important and influential person in my life outside of my family. Take 5 minutes to read one small side of her story:

2011-09-20 6:07 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Your friend's blog is a wonderful example of the importance of being an advocate for your own health!
2011-09-20 6:42 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
kkcbelle - 2011-09-20 1:39 PM

Me again... 

Thank you for sharing Abbe's story!  She is an inspiration.

2011-09-20 6:58 PM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
swbkrun - 2011-09-20 11:34 AM

Great pics Steve!  Had to laugh about what she was getting into (I know not literally) but you'd be surprised what kids can do and fast.  When our kids were toddlers, we called Poison Control 3 times in a 24 hr. period!

2011-09-20 7:02 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
kkcbelle - 2011-09-20 4:39 PM

Me again... 

thanks for sharing.  my mom would have loved abbe.  ok and you too, a little. 

2011-09-20 7:03 PM

User image

Veteran

One of the things I love about this MG is that you each share from the heart.... funny, sad, tragic, inspiring, painful, silly, and awesome stories. My only regret is that I did not get on until this year to be a part of this.

These are some great discussions, and sometimes I think your reading my thoughts, and I don't even know what my thoughts are.

Jayne, thanks for bringing up the subject of where to go next...that is exactly where I am at. Not sure what to do with myself for the next three months....and what goals to set for next year. Thanks everyone for sharing their journey so far. I am not sure I will ever be satisfied with where I am at....always want more, and more, and more....I think I have the disease (dis-ease) of more......most of the time a good thing.....sometimes I just need to be.....that is hard !!!!

So next three months....more running, more biking.....and more ?????

Great photos Steve....I loved when my kids were that age....crap where has the time gone ????

Kyla thanks for sharing that story....inspiring...just found out that our choir director has stage four cancer but she has a great attitude....and is going to live her life to the fullest....she is not an athlete but has the spirit of one. There are a lot of amazing people out there......

2011-09-20 7:11 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

here's a non tri tip... if you're looking for a job,  don't lie on your resume/cv.   don't over embellish it either.  that's just stupid and wastes everyone's time.  be honest and smile.

leading candidate is a phd student from purdue....  but she doesn't know jeff

2011-09-20 7:20 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
swbkrun - 2011-09-20 12:34 PM

what the matter wif you!?!

love the pics!!!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298