BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2013-05-13 7:53 AM
in reply to: #4738982

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: RE: Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED!
Fred D - 2013-05-12 7:36 PM

Here is my race machine with new disc cover on the 404 clincher.

Don't hate ;-)

Not a hater....love it.  A tri-bike takes on that mean, kick azz appearance the minute a disc cover goes on the wheel.  Nice ride.

2013-05-13 7:53 AM
in reply to: #4723777

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-05-13 8:00 AM
in reply to: #4739389

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Fred D - 2013-05-13 8:52 AM

That sounds like possible piriformis issues? Long rides can flare this up, so can having your seat at the wrong height.

Can you describe the area more and how is the pain today?

The area was right at the top of the bony part of my hip, back right side. Laterally, didn't extend past my side, didn't go within 2 inches of my spine. Up down, I'd say from right below the top of the bony part of my hip to a few inches up - just a little square of ache.

Pain left gradually as soon as I was off my bike - even at rest areas. No pain at all yesterday or today.

I've never had my road bike professionally fitted - been riding it for 7 years, but never further than 62 miles before Saturday.
2013-05-13 8:18 AM
in reply to: #4739395

Master
Orlando
Fred D - 2013-05-13 7:53 AM

I was destroyed by work all weekend and ended up only getting a short run in on Saturday.

Hoping to run here today but the weather is quite poor so even that might be on a treadmill.

What's on tap for training for training today?

Hope the weather holds for you to get a non-treadmill run in.Usually, I take Monday's as my day off, but today I will go to a TRX class after work.
2013-05-13 8:30 AM
in reply to: #4738940

Expert
Philothea0806 - 2013-05-12 7:54 PM

Well, just finished my 2nd tri and 1st OWS.  That was an experience.  It was very choppy.  I didn't get a chance to ever practice OWS but I wasn't super anxious either.  They allowed warm up in the water (temp 74F) and I wasn't going to go but someone  encouraged me and I decided to go for it. What a shock! The water was warm and I decided to swim a bit and after the first 5-10 yds my body when into panic mode, I could get a deep breath so I headed back.  Mentally I was confused about the unconscious reaction.  I went again an barely made it out to the first lifeguard and had to hold on for a second. I swam back (freestyle and breast stroke). I was starting to doubt if I could do it.  Stayed in the water just a little more and then tried again and this time I was able to make it to the lifeguard and back without having to hold on. By this time I knew I wouldn't drown but I was able to breathe a bit better and not be too thrown off by swallowing water when I went to breathe.  The swim was very sad. I made but probably breast stroke and sometimes just flipped on back and kicked. I was 39 out of 60 in my age group in the swim but now I am determined to get this figured out. FYI it was only 200 m swim.

Suggestions? 

It's very common to hyperventalate when doing your first couple of OWS in a race setting. I am a really comfortable swimmer, but on my first sprint I found myself gasping for breath. And I'd done a few open water swim priors and didn't have this reaction.

It's basically just a mental thing to work through. What helped me overcome it was some gentle self talk, and focus thoughts. 

2013-05-13 8:32 AM
in reply to: #4739408

Master
TORONTO
enders_shadow - 2013-05-13 9:00 AM

That sounds like possible piriformis issues? Long rides can flare this up, so can having your seat at the wrong height.

The area was right at the top of the bony part of my hip, back right side. Laterally, didn't extend past my side, didn't go within 2 inches of my spine. Up down, I'd say from right below the top of the bony part of my hip to a few inches up - just a little square of ache. Pain left gradually as soon as I was off my bike - even at rest areas. No pain at all yesterday or today. I've never had my road bike professionally fitted - been riding it for 7 years, but never further than 62 miles before Saturday.

Sounds like piriformis.  That's my issue.  I'd recommend seeking out a yin class and really stretching it out well.  Could be ramping up the volume too quickly.  When I look back in your logs it doesn't look as though you did any rides over 50K for the past couple of months - so a long ride of 160km with any amount of hill climbing - sitting on a hard seat for that amount of time - could be the cause of the flare up.

2013-05-13 8:36 AM

Master
TORONTO

Question for the group:

I've been renting wetsuits for the past 5 years.  I avoided buying because I hate wearing them and figured I'd be a fair weather triathlete only racing in warm weather but one August we had a swim with the water temp at 10 degrees and it made me realize even in the summer... I may need one.

Hubby *kindly* pointed out that I could have bought one twice over with my rental fees so....

They are having a great online sale now - 57% off for new Xterra wetsuits but I've never tried this suit.  I know I take a medium in Nineteen.  Should I just go ahead and purchase it online?  Do all wetsuits fit the same?  And would you recommend sleeveless or full?  I've used sleeveless and thought I'd hate sleeves but it was nice and warm when I did Muskoka.

Thanks in advance!

2013-05-13 8:38 AM

Regular
SF Bay area
Easy week.  Today 3000 swim and 30 min run. 

Edited by TTom 2013-05-13 8:42 AM
2013-05-13 8:50 AM
in reply to: #4739492

Veteran
Houston, Texas
kimmax - 2013-05-13 6:36 AM

Question for the group:

I've been renting wetsuits for the past 5 years.  I avoided buying because I hate wearing them and figured I'd be a fair weather triathlete only racing in warm weather but one August we had a swim with the water temp at 10 degrees and it made me realize even in the summer... I may need one.

Hubby *kindly* pointed out that I could have bought one twice over with my rental fees so....

They are having a great online sale now - 57% off for new Xterra wetsuits but I've never tried this suit.  I know I take a medium in Nineteen.  Should I just go ahead and purchase it online?  Do all wetsuits fit the same?  And would you recommend sleeveless or full?  I've used sleeveless and thought I'd hate sleeves but it was nice and warm when I did Muskoka.

Thanks in advance!

Xterra has a pretty generous return/exchange policy, so they're probably a pretty good bet.  As for sizing, they have a size chart that seems to work alright -- if you're on the line between two sizes and have broader shoulders, going up to the larger size seems to work alright.

That said, I don't know that I love my wetsuit.  I have the Vortex (so the cheapest one) and feel like I get some shoulder constriction, even though I have it pulled up in the legs/crotch/torso/arms.  It's manageable, but my shoulders do feel more tired than if I were swimming without a wetsuit.  I've never swam in a sleeveless, but they supposedly don't offer the benefits of wearing a wetsuit as much as a full sleeve.

2013-05-13 8:53 AM
in reply to: #4739492

Elite
PEI, Canada
kimmax - 2013-05-13 10:36 AM

Question for the group:

Thanks in advance!

Personally, I would go full sleeve for sure but I am very comfortable in a wetsuit.  For sizing, check their size chart and if you are between sizes at all, contact them and they will help you out.  

Also, the 57% is great but there are 60% ones out there too.  

2013-05-13 9:00 AM
in reply to: #4739544

Master
TORONTO
axteraa - 2013-05-13 9:53 AM

Question for the group:

Thanks in advance!

Personally, I would go full sleeve for sure but I am very comfortable in a wetsuit.  For sizing, check their size chart and if you are between sizes at all, contact them and they will help you out.  

Such as...?  
I'm a horrible lazy shopper.  I hate it.  So ya - the company that sends me a flier will likely be the one that gets my business.

2013-05-13 9:04 AM
in reply to: #4739561

Elite
PEI, Canada
kimmax - 2013-05-13 11:00 AM

Question for the group:

Thanks in advance!

Such as...?  
I'm a horrible lazy shopper.  I hate it.  So ya - the company that sends me a flier will likely be the one that gets my business.

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/xterrawetsuits.com

2013-05-13 9:53 AM

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska

I had a terrible weekend training wise but did do quite a bit of work around the house, garden, etc. Got in a decent run but nothing like was planned. I had planned to get a long run in Saturday and practice race day nutrition and hydration but Saturday was spent at the LBS and with my mother and my in-laws. On the bright side, our bikes are ready for the BRAN ride and I think my wife finally got her bike fit dialed in. I have also come to the conclusion that I am just going to use the marathon as a catered training run. It's not an A or even B race, and I only signed up because of the location (down Colfax Avenue in Denver) and got a early bird discount plus another discount from the Rock and Roll Marathon Expo. I also really wanted to have a good run at Bolder Boulder next weekend.

2013-05-13 10:03 AM
in reply to: #4739571

Master
TORONTO
axteraa - 2013-05-13 10:04 AM

Question for the group:

Thanks in advance!

Such as...?  

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/xterrawetsuits.com

DONE! Thanks.  Seems good.  $400 down to $160.  Of course with tax and delivery I'm back to $210 but still.  Like that I didn't have to actually DO anything LOL.  

2013-05-13 10:25 AM

I live in Manhattan, NYC. I moved into a new building 2 weeks ago -- a building that has a small pool in the basement (which means I'm going to be doing a lot of turning, but what convenience!). I can run/bike in Central Park (as long as it is early in the morning... and not a weekend - it gets too crowded).

In reading a lot of the earlier comments, I'm not too shy to admit I am easily the amateur of the group. This past weekend I completed an International Distance Duathlon (6 mile run / 28 mile bike / 3 mile run), and it kicked my butt. I was the second to last finisher -- granted, there were only about 30 of us, and everyone else was geared out like a pro -- and I took 2 naps that afternoon I was so tired. Pretty sore today.

I'm looking forward to experiencing the training with you all. I can't wait to get to the point where a normal brick workout is the same distance as yesterday's duathlon, and that I'll feel fine afterward.

2013-05-13 10:30 AM

Regular
Chicago
Philothea0806 - 2013-05-12 6:54 PM

My question is: how to conqure the OWS issue. I am not sure just because the water was cooler than I am used to (pool is at 84F)?  Not being able to see in the water didn't bother me, it was just getting the water in the mouth when breathing then my body goes into a 'survival mode' which I can't seem to override so i can't focus on my stroke.

Suggestions? 

Like others have said, it sounds like cold water shock. Before every OWS, I put my face in the water and just breathe out. Take a breath, stick face back in the water and breathe out some more. Do this a couple of times. I think it helps mitigate the initial shock of the water that can happen when you start swimming or in a race when your wave starts. I also scoop water and put it on my arms, chest and back of my neck. Try it, it might help. Otherwise, more OWS!

2013-05-13 10:36 AM
in reply to: #4739376

Regular
Chicago

enders_shadow - 2013-05-13 7:46 AM The ride report for my century is up here: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid... A couple of questions now that I've thought about it more...

3) What sort of adjustments will I be making in a race where I don't have a feed station every 12-15 miles? I never spent long at any of them - usually < 5 minutes, a little longer at the lunch/turnaround - but when I'm on the bike for the whole 56 or more, what will be different?

3. Do you know how many calories you need per hour while biking? How do you like to take them in? Can your body digest all at once or do you prefer to break it up? Will you break it up between liquid and solids? Say you take in 300 cal/hour. Do you want it to all come from food? Or maybe 100 from liquid and 200 from solids? Can you digest the 200 from solids all at once or do you prefer to break it up 100 cal every 30 mins? If you prefer to get your nutrition in all at once, I don't think much will change. But if you prefer to space it out, you may have to carry it with you and eat on the go. It all depends on what you like to eat and at what time intervals you will want to eat.

2013-05-13 10:37 AM

Regular
Chicago
Fred D - 2013-05-12 7:36 PM

Don't hate ;-)

Looks sharp! Got a name?

2013-05-13 10:47 AM
in reply to: #4739535

ligersandtions - 2013-05-13 9:50 AM
kimmax - 2013-05-13 6:36 AM

Question for the group:

Thanks in advance!

Xterra has a pretty generous return/exchange policy, so they're probably a pretty good bet.  As for sizing, they have a size chart that seems to work alright -- if you're on the line between two sizes and have broader shoulders, going up to the larger size seems to work alright.

That said, I don't know that I love my wetsuit.  I have the Vortex (so the cheapest one) and feel like I get some shoulder constriction, even though I have it pulled up in the legs/crotch/torso/arms.  It's manageable, but my shoulders do feel more tired than if I were swimming without a wetsuit.  I've never swam in a sleeveless, but they supposedly don't offer the benefits of wearing a wetsuit as much as a full sleeve.

I have a sleeveless Xterra wetsuit and I have been really happy with it so far.  Fash shipping and good customer service.  I paid $120 and felt like that was a fair price.   

2013-05-13 10:52 AM
in reply to: #4739701

kimmax - 2013-05-13 11:03 AM

DONE! Thanks.  Seems good.  $400 down to $160.  Of course with tax and delivery I'm back to $210 but still.  Like that I didn't have to actually DO anything LOL.  

Is there a reason you didn't quality for the free shipping?

2013-05-13 10:58 AM

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Fred D - 2013-05-12 8:36 PM

Don't hate ;-)

Suh-weeeet!! 

'nuf said.

Matt

2013-05-13 11:01 AM

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Philothea0806 - 2013-05-12 7:54 PM

Well, just finished my 2nd tri and 1st OWS.  That was an experience.  It was very choppy.  I didn't get a chance to ever practice OWS but I wasn't super anxious either.  They allowed warm up in the water (temp 74F) and I wasn't going to go but someone  encouraged me and I decided to go for it. What a shock! The water was warm and I decided to swim a bit and after the first 5-10 yds my body when into panic mode, I could get a deep breath so I headed back.  Mentally I was confused about the unconscious reaction.  I went again an barely made it out to the first lifeguard and had to hold on for a second. I swam back (freestyle and breast stroke). I was starting to doubt if I could do it.  Stayed in the water just a little more and then tried again and this time I was able to make it to the lifeguard and back without having to hold on. By this time I knew I wouldn't drown but I was able to breathe a bit better and not be too thrown off by swallowing water when I went to breathe.  The swim was very sad. I made but probably breast stroke and sometimes just flipped on back and kicked. I was 39 out of 60 in my age group in the swim but now I am determined to get this figured out. FYI it was only 200 m swim.

Bike was good, alot of turns and very crowded with people not staying on the right if they were not passing. 5th in my AG with 20.2 mph avg, it was very flat.  Run still had the HR issue. HR kept jumping to upper 160's because I was taking alot of short steps vs lengthening my stride. This was due to the recovery from the hamstring sprain two weeks ago. Overall upper  middle of the pack 26 of 60.  

Next is June 2, and it has a 600 m OWS but the lake should not be choppy at all.

My question is: how to conqure the OWS issue. I am not sure just because the water was cooler than I am used to (pool is at 84F)?  Not being able to see in the water didn't bother me, it was just getting the water in the mouth when breathing then my body goes into a 'survival mode' which I can't seem to override so i can't focus on my stroke.

Suggestions? 

Congrats on getting out there and getting it done, and done well.

As for the OWS, as others have said, more practice will help.  The way you dealt with it on race day is a great way to approach it.  Get in and do it, but work your way - don't start with a surf swim!  Surprised

With practice, it will likely become just another part of race day (although it's always different moving through a medium that we're not designed for). 

Matt

ETA - one thing to watch out for.  On race day, it's pretty easy to go out harder on the swim than you're physically prepared for (start of the race, all the commotion, tons of adrenaline, etc.).  This happens on the bike and run, too, but it's a whole lot easier to pedal just a *bit* softer and recover than it is to do the same when you're in the water...  Just a thought.

Matt

Edited by mcmanusclan5 2013-05-13 11:03 AM
2013-05-13 11:09 AM
in reply to: #4739408

Veteran
Austin, Texas
enders_shadow - 2013-05-13 9:00 AM

The area was right at the top of the bony part of my hip, back right side. Laterally, didn't extend past my side, didn't go within 2 inches of my spine. Up down, I'd say from right below the top of the bony part of my hip to a few inches up - just a little square of ache. Pain left gradually as soon as I was off my bike - even at rest areas. No pain at all yesterday or today. I've never had my road bike professionally fitted - been riding it for 7 years, but never further than 62 miles before Saturday.

Best money you'll spend, in a lot of ways, IMO.  Just a cm or less, here and there, can make a HUGE difference in comfort and power.

I'd highly recommend getting a professional fit, if you can swing it.  Too much time in the saddle getting ready for and then competing in a long course...

YMMV 

Matt

2013-05-13 11:19 AM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Got a good weekend of training in, to top off a relatively high volume and intensity week (for me).  This week is a bit dodgy, as I'm traveling tomorrow through Wednesday.  I'll likely be able to run tomorrow afternoon and Wednesday morning, so I moved my hard swim set from tomorrow to this morning and will move Wednesday's hard bike to Thursday (with Thursday's run on Wednesday) and and and... ARGH, my head's going to explode (but that's the fun part).

Also decided to go with a 3:1 week training:rest&test schedule.  I wasn't sure if I should do the 2:1 approach, and do one shorter cycle through "build 1" and 2 shorter through "build 2," or just do 4 weeks of 1 and 4 weeks of 2 on the way to my "A" Oly on July 21.

Went with the latter.  Found a perfect Oly in VT at the end of the second block, right before the 3 weeks of peak and taper (and am going with the family for a long weekend there before going to the beach here in MA for balance of the July 4th week).  So, happy with all that and looking forward to it.

Question for the group, which is of increasing interest as I age-on-up... and up... and up:

- Are your training "meso-cycles" 2/1, 3/1 or some other ratio of work/rest weeks?

Thanks!
Matt

2013-05-13 11:41 AM
in reply to: #4739804

Master
TORONTO
Leon 32 - 2013-05-13 11:52 AM
kimmax - 2013-05-13 11:03 AM

Is there a reason you didn't quality for the free shipping?

Probably because I'm in Canada. Will go back and look.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 51