BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-08-10 4:18 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

BT has been a major pain for me this week.  It really doesn't like my Chromebook and I have no idea what's going on.

Today was the first real workout I've done in any time.  I went to the 8:30 am Hot House yoga class.  I can tell it's been almost 3 months since my last class!  I have 15 more visits that I need to use by the middle of November, so I should start going more often.

I don't feel like doing much else.  I'm in a serious funk.  I also think I'm getting a little sick this week.  My chest has been kind of tight and I've been coughing, but it's all dry and that's the only symptom.  Weird.

2014-08-10 6:02 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by rrrunner

I need moral support from the pod.

Yesterday I was happy and talking to DH and others about whether I wanted to do IMAZ or IM Boulder and today I'm feeling fat and slow an extremely mopey and self-pity-ing. :/

It's not like I'm coming off a major race or anything! Granted the pix from yesterday are reminding me how "soft" I've gotten, but seriously! WTH?!?!?!?

I think the cure is to go out and find a small event (race or otherwise) that you can totally crush and get your mojo back!
2014-08-10 8:10 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by rrrunner I need moral support from the pod. Yesterday I was happy and talking to DH and others about whether I wanted to do IMAZ or IM Boulder and today I'm feeling fat and slow an extremely mopey and self-pity-ing. :/ It's not like I'm coming off a major race or anything! Granted the pix from yesterday are reminding me how "soft" I've gotten, but seriously! WTH?!?!?!?
I think the cure is to go out and find a small event (race or otherwise) that you can totally crush and get your mojo back!

I think along those lines too, but instead of "crush it", just go have fun being out there and going fast. For me the term brings too much pressure to have the perfect race.

2014-08-10 8:12 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Master
Northern IL

Rode the Dairyland Dare yesterday. 123 miles with almost 10,000 ft of climbing. Sister and a few friends had their race this morning. All of them did well getting around.

2014-08-11 8:38 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

Rode the Dairyland Dare yesterday. 123 miles with almost 10,000 ft of climbing. Sister and a few friends had their race this morning. All of them did well getting around.

Woo hoo!  Serious ! 

Congrats to your sister :-)

2014-08-11 9:16 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Trainer question for all of you.

Background: We have had a stationary front over NC for the past month.  This is a resulted in more than our fair share of rain.  I had a four hour ride on the schedule for Saturday and, you guessed it, rain.  Lots of rain.  I set swapped my rear wheel, set up the trainer and off I went.  I have a Cycleops Fluid trainer that's 3-4 years old.  About 1:45 into the session, the rear wheel started to "slip" and lose a lot of it's tension. It would behave for maybe five pedal strokes and then get super easy for maybe ten strokes and then suddenly get hard. The suddenness and unpredictable nature of these shifts made it feel unsafe.  I certainly didn't want a trainer related injury!  I had Kevin look and he said, "The trainer looks broken."

Questions: 

Is the trainer really broken?  I tried increasing the tension on the rear wheel and the slipping still happened.  This would not hurt my feelings.  I've never liked this trainer.  Kevin has one of his own.  I like his better (different version of the Fluid2, his has the yellow handle, mine does not).

If I were to replace the trainer, I should get what?  I typically use the trainer infrequently.  I much prefer riding outside and I can do that mostly -- except rain or ice.  Unless I am taking the trainer to class (yes, I've done that!) I typically use it a half dozen times a year.  If I do winter trainer class, then we'll call it 25 times a year.  Classes are 60-90 minutes.  The other times I ride from 90 minutes to 5 hours. 

Do I need for it to be a fluid trainer?

Would an inexpensive unit like the Performance Ascent do the job for me?  Should I be looking at a Kinetic Road Machine instead?  (Both are mentioned here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/10/2013-trainer-recommendations.html)

My current plan is to borrow Kevin's trainer until the winter trainer sales start so I have some time to decide.

Thanks for your input!

2014-08-11 10:03 AM

Master
Northern IL

It doesn't *have* to be a fluid trainer, but those tend to work quite well. Particularly the Cyclops and Kurt Kinetic. If the tire is not slipping, then I'm not sure how to fix it. Have you contacted Cycleops yet? They may be able to repair it or may offer some sort of deal towards a new trainer of theirs. Worth a shot as their customer support is supposed to be great.

2014-08-11 10:15 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jmkizer

Trainer question for all of you.

Background: We have had a stationary front over NC for the past month.  This is a resulted in more than our fair share of rain.  I had a four hour ride on the schedule for Saturday and, you guessed it, rain.  Lots of rain.  I set swapped my rear wheel, set up the trainer and off I went.  I have a Cycleops Fluid trainer that's 3-4 years old.  About 1:45 into the session, the rear wheel started to "slip" and lose a lot of it's tension. It would behave for maybe five pedal strokes and then get super easy for maybe ten strokes and then suddenly get hard. The suddenness and unpredictable nature of these shifts made it feel unsafe.  I certainly didn't want a trainer related injury!  I had Kevin look and he said, "The trainer looks broken."

Questions: 

Is the trainer really broken?  I tried increasing the tension on the rear wheel and the slipping still happened.  This would not hurt my feelings.  I've never liked this trainer.  Kevin has one of his own.  I like his better (different version of the Fluid2, his has the yellow handle, mine does not).

If I were to replace the trainer, I should get what?  I typically use the trainer infrequently.  I much prefer riding outside and I can do that mostly -- except rain or ice.  Unless I am taking the trainer to class (yes, I've done that!) I typically use it a half dozen times a year.  If I do winter trainer class, then we'll call it 25 times a year.  Classes are 60-90 minutes.  The other times I ride from 90 minutes to 5 hours. 

Do I need for it to be a fluid trainer?

Would an inexpensive unit like the Performance Ascent do the job for me?  Should I be looking at a Kinetic Road Machine instead?  (Both are mentioned here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/10/2013-trainer-recommendations.html)

My current plan is to borrow Kevin's trainer until the winter trainer sales start so I have some time to decide.

Thanks for your input!

I agree with Ben's comment about contacting CycleOps.  I've dealt with them and they've been very friendly and helpful.  I think you and I may have the same trainer.

2014-08-11 10:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

I'm finally back from my vast (OK, not vast but at least varying) travels the past 3 weeks: Lake Placid, NY; Bethlehem, PA; a trip to the Finger Lakes region of NY which also included venturing west - Buffalo, Rochester, Fairport, Canandaigua, then Watkins Glen for the NASCAR race Sun.  We hit some wineries around Lake Seneca Friday before heading west.  Fun times, but it's good to be home and am ready to try to settle back into a good training rhythm.

Sorry to see some manatees could use hugs: Yanti, Jonathan (TN), Jen, my twin TJ, Monica.  Hope things turn around for all of you.  Keep hanging out in here, it's good for puppy pics and laughs.

Speaking of puppies, Jazz is adorable, Stacey!

I see we have some nice bike pics to oogle over, too!  Red, Kanga Katana, Deanna's loaner.

Have fun in Alaska, Ann-Marie!  Hope France is treating you well, Darren!

Edited by melbo55 2014-08-11 11:15 AM
2014-08-11 11:04 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Great job!  That and the Horribly Hilly Hundreds are on my "never again" list.  I do not like climbing!!

2014-08-11 11:16 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

That is a lot of climbing!  Congrats to you and your sister.

2014-08-11 11:49 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I have a few friends that did the 100km route and they want me to come back next year and do either the Dairyland Dare or HHH with them... I'm not sure which will be the greater of two evils...  

2014-08-11 11:57 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by melbo55

I'm finally back from my vast (OK, not vast but at least varying) travels the past 3 weeks: Lake Placid, NY; Bethlehem, PA; a trip to the Finger Lakes region of NY which also included venturing west - Buffalo, Rochester, Fairport, Canandaigua, then Watkins Glen for the NASCAR race Sun.  We hit some wineries around Lake Seneca Friday before heading west.  Fun times, but it's good to be home and am ready to try to settle back into a good training rhythm.

Welcome back! I have been loving all of your photos! 

2014-08-11 11:58 AM

User image

Seattle

Daaaaa-YUM! 

2014-08-11 12:00 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner I need moral support from the pod. Yesterday I was happy and talking to DH and others about whether I wanted to do IMAZ or IM Boulder and today I'm feeling fat and slow an extremely mopey and self-pity-ing. :/ It's not like I'm coming off a major race or anything! Granted the pix from yesterday are reminding me how "soft" I've gotten, but seriously! WTH?!?!?!?

Awwwww, hey now chin up!

Summer is tough. It really is. I have been struggling a bit lately, too. I think it's a good time to establish some goals and priorities, make a plan and tackle it. 

That being said, maybe it would be good for all of us Manatees to discuss our goals and plans. I know I really need to figure my sh*t out and it would be nice to have some group support! 

2014-08-11 12:06 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by melbo55

Sorry to see some manatees could use hugs: Yanti, Jonathan (TN), Jen, my twin TJ, Monica.  Hope things turn around for all of you.  Keep hanging out in here, it's good for puppy pics and laughs.

Speaking of puppies, Jazz is adorable, Stacey!

I see we have some nice bike pics to oogle over, too!  Red, Kanga Katana, Deanna's loaner.

Have fun in Alaska, Ann-Marie!  Hope France is treating you well, Darren!

Welcome Back! I'm sure it'll be nice for all of you to settle back in to a routine.

Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement. I knew you all would help. I started feeling better after my swim yesterday but am still trying to figure out WTH that was all about. I'm still not deciding on IM, which may mean I miss out on Boulder if I don't figure it out soon. I think I'll read some of the IM Boulder RRs and see if that helps.

As for Fi, we stopped at the Tri shop on the way home from the race. Apparently the cable was fraying and it caused a piece of plastic housing to bunch up and mess up the system. Tri shop got me all fixed up (of course, I walked in there with Sbux coffee for the mechanic) and we are good to go.

2014-08-11 12:08 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Awwwww, hey now chin up!

Summer is tough. It really is. I have been struggling a bit lately, too. I think it's a good time to establish some goals and priorities, make a plan and tackle it. 

That being said, maybe it would be good for all of us Manatees to discuss our goals and plans. I know I really need to figure my sh*t out and it would be nice to have some group support! 

Good call! Right now my focus is still RnR Denver in October. I really wanted to do the HM

An IM for 2015 is still on my mind but with the emo fit yesterday I'm just not sure what to think...

ETA: I've been enjoying your pix too!

ETA2: Is it creepy that I followed Siri Lindley on Instagram to see pictures of Rinny training?

Edited by rrrunner 2014-08-11 12:10 PM
2014-08-11 12:09 PM

User image

Seattle

On another maybe even somewhat relevant note, I've been getting out and about a ton. Lots of trail running/hiking and exploring.

We did a trail run and saw 7 of the most unique and beautiful waterfalls and then went into this gorge where you hike right in the riverbed to ANOTHER waterfall, complete with an up to your neck COLD water crossing, it looked like Jurassic Park. 

Ooooh also, Oiselle featured me in one of their tweets: https://twitter.com/oiselle 

Edited by Asalzwed 2014-08-11 12:10 PM
2014-08-11 12:12 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

On another maybe even somewhat relevant note, I've been getting out and about a ton. Lots of trail running/hiking and exploring.

We did a trail run and saw 7 of the most unique and beautiful waterfalls and then went into this gorge where you hike right in the riverbed to ANOTHER waterfall, complete with an up to your neck COLD water crossing, it looked like Jurassic Park. 

Ooooh also, Oiselle featured me in one of their tweets: https://twitter.com/oiselle 

Exponential Awesomeness! I haven't been keeping up on Twitter because I'm behind on the Tour of Utah and don't want spoilers

2014-08-11 12:25 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Wow!!  What beautiful falls!!  That's a fabulous way to get a post-run "ice bath," although up to the neck might be a bit much for me...

2014-08-11 12:29 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

I have a few friends that did the 100km route and they want me to come back next year and do either the Dairyland Dare or HHH with them... I'm not sure which will be the greater of two evils...  

HHH is harder. Blue Mounds trumps everything else around, and you do that like 1 2/3 times. It will also have more and bigger steep ones. Not that the Dare is easy by any means, but the steeper ones there tend to stair step and the longer ones aren't quite as steep. The people running the Dare just recently stopped doing the Kickapoo Kicker and the Arcadia Brute. Those were more comparable to HHH as they had more bigger and harder hills on them. Glad I ended up doing that series last year since they cancelled those two?

2014-08-11 12:29 PM
in reply to: Artemis

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Artemis

Great job!  That and the Horribly Hilly Hundreds are on my "never again" list.  I do not like climbing!!

I actually have not been on that one at all this year!

2014-08-11 12:34 PM

Master
Northern IL

Very nice!

2014-08-11 12:47 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Good call! Right now my focus is still RnR Denver in October. I really wanted to do the HM

An IM for 2015 is still on my mind but with the emo fit yesterday I'm just not sure what to think...

I have my 1st tri next Sunday, a little 5k on 8/23, then another sprint tri on Sept. 21.  I'm planning to do a run/bike series (the "Chilly Cheeks") in Dec., Jan., and Feb., each 4 mi. run and 10 mi. bike in a variety of configurations and regardless of the weather.  I'm also seriously considering the Zion HM in March and maybe a 56 flight stair climb in Feb.  Next summer, I'm going to do 2 sprints and an Oly.  Haven't figured out which ones yet other than the Boulder Sunrise in June.

As for goals, I really need to strengthen my L hip, which is still weak as a result of 2 surgeries.  Doing that will definitely help with swimming and cycling.  I also want to do some Pilates to increase core strength, and increase distance and speed in all 3 disciplines.  I'm going to join a running club in Oct. and start going to a semi-coached swim conditioning class sometime in there for the distance/speed goals.

As I write all this out, it looks really ambitious, at least for me.  I feel like I'll need to do something 6 day a week all winter to accomplish everything.  Not sure I can manage all that, but between a motivated friend and DH, who wants to get more active again, I'm hoping I can do it.  We'll see....

2014-08-11 12:50 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by laffinrock

I have my 1st tri next Sunday, a little 5k on 8/23, then another sprint tri on Sept. 21.  I'm planning to do a run/bike series (the "Chilly Cheeks") in Dec., Jan., and Feb., each 4 mi. run and 10 mi. bike in a variety of configurations and regardless of the weather.  I'm also seriously considering the Zion HM in March and maybe a 56 flight stair climb in Feb.  Next summer, I'm going to do 2 sprints and an Oly.  Haven't figured out which ones yet other than the Boulder Sunrise in June.

As for goals, I really need to strengthen my L hip, which is still weak as a result of 2 surgeries.  Doing that will definitely help with swimming and cycling.  I also want to do some Pilates to increase core strength, and increase distance and speed in all 3 disciplines.  I'm going to join a running club in Oct. and start going to a semi-coached swim conditioning class sometime in there for the distance/speed goals.

As I write all this out, it looks really ambitious, at least for me.  I feel like I'll need to do something 6 day a week all winter to accomplish everything.  Not sure I can manage all that, but between a motivated friend and DH, who wants to get more active again, I'm hoping I can do it.  We'll see....

I think those are fantastic goals! It's ambitious but I don't think it's too much. 

6 days a week isn't over the top either. It's not like you have to go all out every day. Even if you are just doing some small hip strengthening exercises one day, it's better than nothing and relates directly to your goals. 

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 45024 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 39221 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 76015 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 52213 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 27587 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.