BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN- Miles and Miles ahead!!!! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 230

2010-04-06 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2771170

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN- Miles and Miles ahead!!!! CLOSED
icky43 - 2010-04-06 10:38 AM

Most of you will not remember, but at the first part of March I asked for some advice about swimming and swimming endurance.  The advice that was given from Suzy and the rest of you was great.  Balance is the Key.  My complaint was that I could swim a 1000 yards but had to be done in bits and pieces, I could not for the life of me swim more then a 100 yards straight. So I set a Goal after taking your advice to swim 500 yards by the end of March by working drills and balance techniques.  I set the date of March 29th as my due date, and if you look at my blog March 29th sucked, I was fighting off a head cold that weekend, needless to say when I jump in the pool and started to swim my warm up laps I just about drowned.  I have never swam with a cold before and I didn't realize until then how plug up my nose was.  On my first breath I had to stop and come up for air because nothing come out my nose.  To my defeat I postponed the due date until today.  I swam yesterday to test the waters and to see if I could breath once aging, all be it a little rusty from taking a week off from everything I thought I would give it a go. 

Got to the pool this morning at 5 am (couldn't sleep) did 200 yd warm up rested 2 minutes did another 200 yards.  Then I did 100 yd easy with 30 sec rest in between, up until I was at 900 yards total.  After swimming the 900 yards I waited for 3 minutes trying to talk my self out of it, then I had a "What the Hell moment, what do you have to lose?"  So I started swimming, and every lap felt so hard for some reason, I got to 200 yards and thought I was going to die, I have never swam more the 200 yard consistently.  When I made the turn for 250 I thought it was over, struggled through it, hit the wall for the turn and things got easy, I broke through the mental wall that I had put up and swam until I hit 2100 yards total. 

I Swam 1200 yards straight

I was so stoked that I got out of the pool headed home and went for a 3.1 mile run.  I have never done a triathlon before, but today, for the first time I'm starting to feel like triathlete.

Thanks for the support.

Ben

AWESOME JOB MAN!!!!

2010-04-06 11:14 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

Most of you will not remember, but at the first part of March I asked for some advice about swimming and swimming endurance.  The advice that was given from Suzy and the rest of you was great.  Balance is the Key.  My complaint was that I could swim a 1000 yards but had to be done in bits and pieces, I could not for the life of me swim more then a 100 yards straight. So I set a Goal after taking your advice to swim 500 yards by the end of March by working drills and balance techniques.  I set the date of March 29th as my due date, and if you look at my blog March 29th sucked, I was fighting off a head cold that weekend, needless to say when I jump in the pool and started to swim my warm up laps I just about drowned.  I have never swam with a cold before and I didn't realize until then how plug up my nose was.  On my first breath I had to stop and come up for air because nothing come out my nose.  To my defeat I postponed the due date until today.  I swam yesterday to test the waters and to see if I could breath once aging, all be it a little rusty from taking a week off from everything I thought I would give it a go. 

Got to the pool this morning at 5 am (couldn't sleep) did 200 yd warm up rested 2 minutes did another 200 yards.  Then I did 100 yd easy with 30 sec rest in between, up until I was at 900 yards total.  After swimming the 900 yards I waited for 3 minutes trying to talk my self out of it, then I had a "What the Hell moment, what do you have to lose?"  So I started swimming, and every lap felt so hard for some reason, I got to 200 yards and thought I was going to die, I have never swam more the 200 yard consistently.  When I made the turn for 250 I thought it was over, struggled through it, hit the wall for the turn and things got easy, I broke through the mental wall that I had put up and swam until I hit 2100 yards total. 

I was so stoked that I got out of the pool headed home and went for a 3.1 mile run.  I have never done a triathlon before, but today, for the first time I'm starting to feel like triathlete.

Thanks for the support.

Ben

Congrats!  Awesome milestone.  Those break through moments make it all seem worthwhile. 
2010-04-06 11:17 AM
in reply to: #2770981

User image

Expert
fattyfatfat - 2010-04-06 9:41 AM
TrevorC - 2010-04-05 5:28 PM So what happens if they water temp is 78F or higher? Do we get to wear our wetsuits? Or is that only if you are planning on placing in your AG?
Ahhhhhh

below is a email i sent out last night.  sorry i thought i copied everyone but i guess not. 

i'm not sure what to make of the water temps at this point. however, the post on the lone star thread is misleading.  there are no gauges in offatt's bayou, i spoke with and emailed with a program manager at NOAA's galveston lab this morning to confirm.   the gauge referenced in the thread is 4 miles east of offatt's and in the gulf of mexico.  more precisely located at the bottom of the southern end of the flagship pier.   4 miles may not seem like much but when talking about this it is. 

there are two gauges north of this one in galveston bay, not the gulf.  the closest one, eagle point is ~5 degree's cooler and the furthest one, morgans point,  is ~7 degrees cooler.  i'd pay more attention to these two.

and maybe most importantly, ;-), offatt's bayou is man made.  it was created way back in the early 1900's by dredging to actually build parts of the island.  there are some very deep holes in it with some very cold water.

also the post says something about a trend yet only provides one data point.  i'm not sure how a trend or pattern can be established. i've been watching the temp's since for several days now.  at galveston pleasure pier it dropped over a degree from saturday night to sunday.  it picked up four degrees since.  water doesn't heat up and cool down like this without the help of some serious currents. 

my race sunday is a few miles north of where we'll be swimming.  i'll get a better feel for it then.

either way though i don't think it will be above 84 so you should be fine wearing a wetsuit if your're comfortable wearing it in water that warm

Not sure who you copied but it wasn't me!  But thanks for the clarification!  Now I can start to freak out about something else.
2010-04-06 11:18 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
icky43 - 2010-04-06 9:38 AM

Thanks for the support.

Ben

it took me a few minutes to find it but here is your post from the start of March:

"Thank you all so much for the advice. I just got off the phone with my coach.  I have asked her to write down all the drills that she knows of that focus on balance and staying long in the water, so that on our next lesson she can go over each one with me.  She has done drills many in our lessons before, but when I swim alone I've only worried about the yards and not the quility.  *** New Goal *** Swim 500 yard freestyle non-stop by the end of March..."

Dude you blew that out of the water!!! great job Ben!!!

Edited by TrevorC 2010-04-06 11:31 AM
2010-04-06 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2555972

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Just one more reason I love my wife, I sent her this link

http://www.veloclassic.com/Tours.html

and said how cool it would be do do this, she replied that it looks awesome and we should start saving now for it...

2010-04-06 11:46 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Cliff Notes Please!  I am back.

2010-04-06 11:49 AM
in reply to: #2771419

User image

Expert
dalessit - 2010-04-06 11:43 AM

Just one more reason I love my wife, I sent her this link

http://www.veloclassic.com/Tours.html

and said how cool it would be do do this, she replied that it looks awesome and we should start saving now for it...

Kiss
2010-04-06 12:19 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Thanks for the support.

Ben

Great job!  I'm still hitting that mental wall at about 300m, but at least it's getting easier!  Drills and having a definite plan in mind when I get to the pool has helped me alot.  I think I've finally got the breathing part down, now I just have to convince myself that my arms won't fall off when they start to get fatigued Laughing.  Guess I need to go back to some strength training!
2010-04-06 12:23 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Well guys, I think being sick over the weekend was actually good for me.  I spent 2 days doing basically nothing - just letting my body rest up.  I was feeling better last night so decided to go for a short run.  It went really well and I enjoyed it.  I had almost gotten to the point where working out was becoming a chore.  I feel like I've gotten a second wind though so it's back to work! 
2010-04-06 12:24 PM
in reply to: #2771439

User image

Champion
marietta
swbkrun - 2010-04-06 11:46 AM Cliff Notes Please!  I am back.

linda got beat playing tag by her kids then complained about it in her logs.

tracy got pi$$ed that linda logged this so she logged something about walking in anapolis.

trevor logged in as andy and fooled us into thinking andy was back.

suzy did a triple blind XR4Ti combover DOGPOOP test ride on her guru outside finally.  but her output was low and her coach yelled at kim for it.

ben crushed his swim

george asked about womens clothing, claimed its for his wife. 

ryan shaved kona.

there are starbucks every 500 feet on all rural roads in the seattle area.  just ask kyla, she's flat.

red sox suck.  or so says william.

tony and sam are gonna ride unicycles in europe.

edit... i just heard from janet.  she got got her second wind. 

Edited by fattyfatfat 2010-04-06 12:26 PM
2010-04-06 12:40 PM
in reply to: #2771581

User image

Expert
B'ham
fattyfatfat - 2010-04-06 10:24 AM

tracy got pi$$ed that linda logged this so she logged something about walking in anapolis.

suzy did a triple blind XR4Ti combover DOGPOOP test ride on her guru outside finally.  but her output was low and her coach yelled at kim for it.

ben crushed his swim

ryan shaved kona.

there are starbucks every 500 feet on all rural roads in the seattle area.  just ask kyla, she's flat.

Thanks, thanks a lot

2010-04-06 12:45 PM
in reply to: #2771581

User image

Champion
marietta
fattyfatfat - 2010-04-06 12:24 PM

ben crushed his swim

ryan shaved kona.

edit 2... doug, matt and barry are all pitching in to buy me a new CT. 

updated.  a few more just checked in

Edited by fattyfatfat 2010-04-06 12:46 PM
2010-04-06 12:56 PM
in reply to: #2771660

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Whenever I need a good laugh all I have to do is think about John......Cool

How's that FattyFatFat?

fattyfatfat - 2010-04-06 12:45 PM

ben crushed his swim

ryan shaved kona.

2010-04-06 12:59 PM
in reply to: #2771708

User image

Champion
marietta
ha ha.  now i feel better. 

SSMinnow - 2010-04-06 12:56 PM Whenever I need a good laugh all I have to do is think about John......Cool

How's that FattyFatFat?

2010-04-06 1:22 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
Hello group. I'm back running, and it went well Smile

This is my friend's private workout room. I covet it. (This is one of those pools where you just swim in place.)

Dream Home Gym 
2010-04-06 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2771725

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
fattyfatfat - 2010-04-06 1:59 PM ha ha.  now i feel better. 

SSMinnow - 2010-04-06 12:56 PM Whenever I need a good laugh all I have to do is think about John......Cool

How's that FattyFatFat?

Damn you are funny!  People are walking by my office wondering why I am laughing at my computer screen. 

2010-04-06 1:41 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
fattyfatfat - 2010-04-06 11:45 AM

ben crushed his swim

ryan shaved kona.

You forgot to mention the new guy, "Cadmus". From out west as well. He seems nice.
2010-04-06 2:03 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
I looked at my 2010 numbers vs 2009 numbers....trained for an early season race  nevermind an early season HIM sure gets the volumes up there early in the year... As of April 6th:

2009 totals                2010 so far           % of 2009
bike 1867 km                 1059 km               56.7
run   920.72 km              352 km                 38.2
swim  116 km                  61 km                  52.5

Pretty happy with those numbers. Bike is definitely due to riding the trainer this winter. Where as last year was bike at gym. The swim is funny. I feel like last year I swam way more. I was swimming 3 times a week last year. but it was 20-30 minutes at a time, versus the 60 or so i do now.

Anyone else have anything good to post?
2010-04-06 2:06 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
fattyfatfat - 2010-04-06 10:45 AM

ben crushed his swim

ryan shaved kona.

John, you just made my day

You forgot to add that Tim Lincecum threw lights out yesterday and beat the 'stros...were you there???

AND, that out west we are rooting for the Stanford women to stand up to the mighty UConn huskies tonight....kind of a longshot, but one can hope! 

Suzy, I am super happy that I am able to breathe through my nose finally! 

Congrats to Ben on your awesome swim   that is such a great feeling!

Matt, if you show up and ask to come back, you have to at least post something superfluous once in awhile so we know you still care! 

Welcome back, Steve...
2010-04-06 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2771055

User image

Master
Sin City
jvanis - 2010-04-06 8:07 AM Question about Look Keos then since we have a high population of users.  Do they hang with the back end down, I know the Shimanos are weighted toward the back so all you do is push the toe in and then step down, are the Looks weighted similarly?  I am just about to pull the trigger on a set.  What lines does everyone use?  I am probably looking towards the Keo 2 Max, dont think I can justify the carbons.

They pretty much hang upside down, so you do have to "flip" it correctly. It does take a bit to know which is the right side up, since it "feels" different.  That's the one thing that's a bit of a PIA, it was nice the speedplays, eggbeaters, and SPDs, is that it's double sided, so no matter which way is up, you can clip in.

I really like the Look Keo primarily for the larger platform.
2010-04-06 2:17 PM
in reply to: #2770067

User image

Master
Sin City
gdale - 2010-04-05 6:10 PM

Thanks ladies for all of the suggestions.  Funny...the shorts she tried on and liked were Sugoi which a lot of you mentioned.  I will take a look at some of the tops you suggested.  She wants to avoid the sports bra underneath if she can.

George

Show her a bunch of "Nippy" girls with no Sports bras with their tri tops, I'm sure she'll think twice. :-)

I love my bathing suit from Splish, the Wonder Woman look-a-like, but I get too many fellas looking at me...especially when i get out of the pool. *winks*. I would like to avoid that at all costs at triathlons. 

There are some sport bras that are not "compressing the boobies to the inner walls of the chest". A nice kind of loose one will do just fine to protect the "wandering saucer eyes". :-)

Hope you understand my visualization....if not, do I need to make it more clearer, ie, pictures? *wink wink*

2010-04-06 2:19 PM
in reply to: #2770338

User image

Master
Sin City
kickitinok - 2010-04-05 8:56 PM

DJ - WTG on your 4 mile run! I love reading your training logs.

I finally get to run again tomorrow. We'll see how the arch inserts treat my feet. 

Thanks! I was actually pretty surprised at how well I did! That gives me a new found goal of being able to finish a 5k under 45 minutes. :-)

Good luck with your feet!
2010-04-06 2:22 PM
in reply to: #2771972

User image

Champion
marietta
CyborgQueen - 2010-04-06 2:17 PM

Hope you understand my visualization....if not, do I need to make it more clearer, ie, pictures? *wink wink*

i have no idea what you are talking about.  pics would be a big help.  thanks!

Edited by fattyfatfat 2010-04-06 2:23 PM
2010-04-06 2:25 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Hey DJ--a lot of tri tops have built in shelf bras....the only time I ever look "nippy" is when I am really hot or really cold...

Bike people, I have a question....is there any reason why a DA derailleur would not work well with Ultegra componentry?  Just installed the DA on my Seven that didn't work for the GURU and the shifting stinks......ideas?
2010-04-06 2:32 PM
in reply to: #2771938

User image

Champion
marietta
kt65 - 2010-04-06 2:06 PM

You forgot to add that Tim Lincecum threw lights out yesterday and beat the 'stros...were you there???

yes.  i took jack and posted a pic on fb for ya.  i couldn't find a SF hat though.  lincecum is one skinny dude.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2010-04-06 2:32 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN- Miles and Miles ahead!!!! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 230