2013-01-04 8:19 AM
in reply to: #4561451

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia - OPEN
marcag - 2013-01-04 7:13 AM

It's all a generation thing. Kids today can't deal with 20 degrees

The 30 year olds think their tough because they could handle 5-10

In my days, they would allow is out at any temperature because the school igloos in Canada were held at a constant 0 degree anyways and it was -40 when the sled dog bus would bring us back home. We were tough back then.

This was before electricity.

PS : I did my treadmill run this morning because it was too cold and we have electricity now.

Hey we tried to go out, but the teachers dragged us back in!

2013-01-04 8:51 AM
in reply to: #4561432

User image

Master
Central Kansas

bzgl40 - 2013-01-04 6:49 AM I am not sure I have found my lower limit on the run.  I whine and complain anywhere south of freezing but I will still go get it done but often I will wait for it to warm up so I can at least wear shorts if my schedule allows.  Although I must admit, if I still had my treadmill odds are I'd be on it more then I care to admit.  My bike limits are much higher though, I'm pretty much a fair weather type girl when it comes to the bike.  I might go out in 60 if I think it will warm up or it is pretty sunny.  I've gone swimming below freezing a lot, which doesn't sound like much until you realize all the pools in Tucson are outdoors.  Water is still 80 but it is pure hell getting out.  I've been known to swim an extra lap or two in avoidance. 
Yes. I am definitely fair weather on the bike. I probably won't put mine on the road until it is consistently 60F, so late April or May. (We sometimes get a freak ice or snow storm in April.) Running . . . Teens or single digits are okay if the wind is behaving. I ran in the 20s with a wind chill of 3 a couple weeks ago, and it was manageable, but not a lot of fun. 5 or 10F with wind, I think I'd have to bag it. 

2013-01-04 9:41 AM
in reply to: #4561415

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

itsallrelative_Maine - 2013-01-04 4:36 AM

What is you all's lower limit (looks like Arend's is somewhere south of 0...but he must come from hearty stock)?

Having lived in Southern California for almost seven years and Houston for a few months, I'm a big wuss when it comes to cold weather!  I was visiting family up in WA over Christmas and did two outdoor runs in 32F weather.  Granted, I don't have entirely appropriate cold weather running gear, but it was really weird to start the run feeling warm and pretty good (having just come out of the warm house) and progresively cool down throughout the entire run.  Even 4.5 miles later, I just could not warm up!

This weekend's forecast shows a high of 60F, so I guess I'll see where that is in relation to my lower limit on the bike!  Here's to hoping arm warmers are sufficient....cause that's all I have (in addition to the normal stuff, obviously). 

2013-01-04 9:49 AM
in reply to: #4561786

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
ligersandtions - 2013-01-04 10:41 AM

itsallrelative_Maine - 2013-01-04 4:36 AM

What is you all's lower limit (looks like Arend's is somewhere south of 0...but he must come from hearty stock)?

Having lived in Southern California for almost seven years and Houston for a few months, I'm a big wuss when it comes to cold weather!  I was visiting family up in WA over Christmas and did two outdoor runs in 32F weather.  Granted, I don't have entirely appropriate cold weather running gear, but it was really weird to start the run feeling warm and pretty good (having just come out of the warm house) and progresively cool down throughout the entire run.  Even 4.5 miles later, I just could not warm up!

This weekend's forecast shows a high of 60F, so I guess I'll see where that is in relation to my lower limit on the bike!  Here's to hoping arm warmers are sufficient....cause that's all I have (in addition to the normal stuff, obviously). 

Agreed. Living in SW Florida has thinned my blood. Or something like that. I rode in 40* temps a week or so ago and decided that was not a good idea. But I have no trainer, so it is outside or nothing.

2013-01-04 9:49 AM
in reply to: #4543084

User image

Payson, AZ
I am going to go test my Canadian blood by x-country skiing in Flagstaff tomorrow, where their low is 5F, although right now it is -1F.  I am thinking x-country skiing is a pretty good substitude for a 4mile easy run right?  I have a hard time with not hitting my weekly number even though I logically know the skiing is probably just as good for me as long as I get my key workouts
2013-01-04 10:02 AM

User image

NC

I posted the below on ST regarding my upcoming trail race.  I would appreciate any thoughts this group might have.  Thanks.

I've got an 8mi trail race coming up in February - should be cold with multiple stream crossings and pretty rugged terrain. Two things I'm focusing on are socks and gloves. Someone recommended the Swiftwick 4" socks for the quick drying and ankle support. Also, someone suggested wearing mid-weight cycling gloves, as opposed to wool running gloves, to help with the drying and in case of a fall (very possible with me). Any other recommendations as to socks, gloves or general apparel? I figure just running shorts and tech-t, maybe a lightweight beanie. I've never lubed up my feet for races up to a half marathon, should I consider that given the wet conditions? Any other pre-race considerations would be appreciated. Never done one of these. Thanks.

2013-01-04 10:11 AM
in reply to: #4561833

Master
Northern IL
Goosedog - 2013-01-04 10:02 AM

I posted the below on ST regarding my upcoming trail race.  I would appreciate any thoughts this group might have.  Thanks.

I've got an 8mi trail race coming up in February - should be cold with multiple stream crossings and pretty rugged terrain. Two things I'm focusing on are socks and gloves. Someone recommended the Swiftwick 4" socks for the quick drying and ankle support. Also, someone suggested wearing mid-weight cycling gloves, as opposed to wool running gloves, to help with the drying and in case of a fall (very possible with me). Any other recommendations as to socks, gloves or general apparel? I figure just running shorts and tech-t, maybe a lightweight beanie. I've never lubed up my feet for races up to a half marathon, should I consider that given the wet conditions? Any other pre-race considerations would be appreciated. Never done one of these. Thanks.

How cold is "cold"? Since we're all over the map on that one.

How are your shoes? They'll be working with the socks.

2013-01-04 10:12 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
Goosedog - 2013-01-04 9:02 AM

If it is cold enough I wear my winter biking gloves.  They are wind resistant and help a lot.  But they get just as wet as anything else.  I wear thicker and slightly higher socks then I would normally for trail running as well, but mostly so it is harder to get little rocks and what not in.  Some still sneak in.  Some folks wear ankle gators and although I have some I never have for some reason.  Personally I wouldn't bother to lube my feet but think back to when you've gone that distance in the rain.  Any issues?  If even a hint of one lube up cause your feet will likely be moving around more.  Although if you are thinking just a tech-t it can't be all that cold.  Unless you mean long sleeve. 

2013-01-04 10:18 AM

User image

NC

Thanks.  Good point on "cold."  It's central North Carolina in February, which could be 32F +/- 20 degrees with snow or rain.  I was told to avoid tights, if possible, because of the streams - they would just get watered down.  I'll bring a few options on the tops.  I've seen everything from s/s tech tee or singlet and arm warmers on some of the fast folks to heavier sweatshirts. 

Shoes are Brooks Cascadias.  I don't know if these are the optimal choice for this particular race, but I wanted something I could use on the trails closer to me that are less technical.

2013-01-04 10:20 AM
in reply to: #4561872

User image

Payson, AZ
Goosedog - 2013-01-04 9:18 AM

Shoes are Brooks Cascadias.  I don't know if these are the optimal choice for this particular race, but I wanted something I could use on the trails closer to me that are less technical.

That is what I trail run in and they'll be fine I predict. 

2013-01-04 10:23 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Goosedog - 2013-01-04 10:02 AM

What will the ground be like? Likely frozen, icy, snow covered, dry, wet and muddy? I know you said rugged, but I'm trying to picture the rest. Will the air temps likely be below or above freezing?

I am doing a 10 mile trail run, probably not as rugged as yours, but still a hilly, single track, bridle trail, in February. Since it will likely be cold, 20F ish, icy or snowy, I am wearing running tights, tech shirt, arm warmers, down vest, wool socks, 2 pair of gloves, neck gaiter, and beanie.
I did a 10k major water crossing (6 total, 2 at waist depth and long) in the spring, and I was fine with my running shoes and wool socks. The water drained out quickly, and my feet felt dry. If it's freezing out for you, I am not sure how the water on your feet will react. I did not lube my feet for my race.
I had so much fun at mine. I was converted to trails, and now do almost all of my training roads on the dirt roads around my house. I wish I lived closer to a real trail to run on.

2013-01-04 10:27 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Goosedog - 2013-01-04 10:18 AM

Thanks.  Good point on "cold."  It's central North Carolina in February, which could be 32F +/- 20 degrees with snow or rain.  I was told to avoid tights, if possible, because of the streams - they would just get watered down.  I'll bring a few options on the tops.  I've seen everything from s/s tech tee or singlet and arm warmers on some of the fast folks to heavier sweatshirts. 

I agree with no tights with water crossings. For my trail run this spring, I wore swimming suit bottoms that had an attached skirt. They worked great. I lifted my shirt up for the deep crossings, but it still got a little wet.
2013-01-04 10:27 AM
in reply to: #4561884

User image

NC
KansasMom - 2013-01-04 11:23 AM

What will the ground be like? Likely frozen, icy, snow covered, dry, wet and muddy? I know you said rugged, but I'm trying to picture the rest. Will the air temps likely be below or above freezing?

This is in a old, old mountain range in central NC.  So, it's not big elevations (for NC), but it is very rocky, quick bursts of up/down with some long uphills/downhills.  From reports, it sounds like ground conditions can vary from snow covered, to dry to crazy mud.  I think one of the big obstacles on ground conditions will be roots and rocks covered by leaves.  It sounds like you're pretty focused on the ground at all times.  I backpacked in a different section of this forest a bunch, but I haven't done this section of trail.  I would probably be well served to drive over one day.

2013-01-04 10:37 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

I have a cycling jacket that I wear on reall cold run because of the pockets in back.  So if it's REALLY cold I bring two sets of gloves.  One light set, one heavier set that I can stick in the pocket if not needed.  If it warms up enough my cap can go in the pocket as well.  I've used the basic cycling gloves down to 18 deg F and I was O.K. but lower than that I would want something more as my fingertips were pretty chilly.

2013-01-04 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4561856

Master
Northern IL
bzgl40 - 2013-01-04 10:12 AM

If it is cold enough I wear my winter biking gloves.  They are wind resistant and help a lot.  But they get just as wet as anything else.  I wear thicker and slightly higher socks then I would normally for trail running as well, but mostly so it is harder to get little rocks and what not in.  Some still sneak in.  Some folks wear ankle gators and although I have some I never have for some reason.  Personally I wouldn't bother to lube my feet but think back to when you've gone that distance in the rain.  Any issues?  If even a hint of one lube up cause your feet will likely be moving around more.  Although if you are thinking just a tech-t it can't be all that cold.  Unless you mean long sleeve. 

I was thinking much the same. The gloves are warm without being bulky, and seem tougher than just a regular pair. Definitely look at the socks for that purpose too. I don't understand the support mentioned earlier, but definitely yes on preventing the little bits from getting in with the height and thickness. The gaiters can help with that too, but might be more than you want if there isn't stuff like scree or lots of vegetation hanging over the path, catching your legs. Don't think it would hurt to have them.

As for the top, you'll have to try some things out to see what works in different conditions. You'll be working harder because it's a race, but given that it's very technical you won't be going as hard as on the roads. Certainly not as fast, but to be clear, the effort will be down some too, meaning heat production is less. You have to be able to focus on the terrain the whole way through so you don't get hurt.

2013-01-04 1:15 PM
in reply to: #4561901

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Goosedog - 2013-01-04 10:27 AM
KansasMom - 2013-01-04 11:23 AM

This is in a old, old mountain range in central NC.  So, it's not big elevations (for NC), but it is very rocky, quick bursts of up/down with some long uphills/downhills.  From reports, it sounds like ground conditions can vary from snow covered, to dry to crazy mud.  I think one of the big obstacles on ground conditions will be roots and rocks covered by leaves.  It sounds like you're pretty focused on the ground at all times.  I backpacked in a different section of this forest a bunch, but I haven't done this section of trail.  I would probably be well served to drive over one day.

Seeing it ahead of time might help you feel better, if you can manage it.

Also something that came up a few times on Slowtwitch in response to your question is worth repeating. Bring something dry to change into. It seems obvious, but could be easy to forget. For my run, I changed into Teva flip flops. I wanted my feet to be able to breath and dry out after being cold and wet. I don't wear socks all winter, except when running, so flip flops are my go-to shoe after any race. YMMV

2013-01-04 4:57 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Goosedog - 2013-01-04 11:02 AM

Hey Marshall - like others here and on ST have said, I would not wory too much about getting wet over that distance, and I would not even go out of my way not too. for such a race where I know my feet are going to get wet I wear a very lightweight pair of grippy trail shoes (Innov8 X-Talon 212s) and high ankle smartwool running socks. I have been using the smartwools for years for adventure racing and trail running - I think they are awesome for warmth and moisture wicking.

2013-01-04 5:00 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
All you guys talking about power and intervals has been making me jealous for the past couple of weeks - I finally get to start my LT training block tomorrow with some hard intervals in the mountains and an FTP20 test early next week. Now I an not so jealous. What does everyone else have on tap for the weekend?
2013-01-04 5:03 PM
in reply to: #4561899

User image

Seattle
KansasMom - 2013-01-04 10:27 AM

I agree with no tights with water crossings. For my trail run this spring, I wore swimming suit bottoms that had an attached skirt. They worked great. I lifted my shirt up for the deep crossings, but it still got a little wet.

Haha! That's pretty clever! I love it. What would you do in the case of colder temps? 

2013-01-04 5:30 PM
in reply to: #4562746

User image

TankBoy - 2013-01-04 1:00 PM All you guys talking about power and intervals has been making me jealous for the past couple of weeks - I finally get to start my LT training block tomorrow with some hard intervals in the mountains and an FTP20 test early next week. Now I an not so jealous. What does everyone else have on tap for the weekend?

Run and swim tonight.  Hoping to bike long tomorrow, but high winds (gusting to 50) and rain might put me on the trainer.  Sunday should be a 10-11 mile run and maybe a short swim.

2013-01-04 5:31 PM
in reply to: #4562746

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

TankBoy - 2013-01-04 7:00 PM All you guys talking about power and intervals has been making me jealous for the past couple of weeks - I finally get to start my LT training block tomorrow with some hard intervals in the mountains and an FTP20 test early next week. Now I an not so jealous. What does everyone else have on tap for the weekend?

90 min run tomorrow for me and then Sunday I fly to Vancouver for a week.

2013-01-04 5:43 PM

User image

Hey kiddies, jumping back into the pond after the winter break...

Name: Chris

STORY:  First sprint 2005, Oly 2006, HIM, 2007, IM 2008, 2009 got sick and couldn't race for a bit.  Finally got back to sprints and Olys, 2011 and 2012 back up to HIM, planning on 2 HIMs and an IM in 2013 plus Olys, swims, sprints, etc.  

Background is NCAA water polo so I can hold my own in the swim scrum, and am fast for triathletes, but not for swimmers.  Cycling I am solid MOP.  Running I have been BOP but since losing some weight moving into MOP ish territory.

Raced for years at 230-240, got serious in late 2011 and raced 2012 205-210, got even more serious and am currently 196 and plan on racing at 190.

Born and raised in So Cal, so I can train year round.

FAMILY STATUS: 1 wife, married going on 21 years.  1 cat, going on 21 years old.  Sensing a theme.....

CURRENT TRAINING: Starting with a coach on Monday, HIM working to IM A race at Whistler. 

2012 RACES:  HIM and Oly PR, had a great year, my last as a Clyde so I saw the podium quite a bit.  Currently sub 200 so racing with the rest of you lot.  Also did a 10K swim which was great, but not sure when I'll do that again, definitely not 2013 as it conflicts with IM.

2013 RACES:  Planned and potential

March 3 - Desert Triathlon
March 8 - Solvang Century
March 30, 2013 - Calif. 70.3
April 20 - Rage in the Sage
May 4 - Wildflower 70.3
May 13 - Alcatraz Sharkfest
May 25 - Ojai Century
June 9 - Redondo Beach sprint
June 23 - Breath of Life Olympic
July 14 - June Lake Olympic
Aug 2 - Dwight Crum Pier to Pier
August 25, 2013 - IM Canada
October 27, 2013 - Miami 70.3  ?

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MEMBER OF THIS GROUP:  I try to only offer advice when I know what I am talking about (try...) and I am still learning something about all three sports.  I really like the group(s) that Fred et al have put together, it's a really friendly and knowledgeable, and people of any ability can get something out of it.  Nice to be a part of what BT once really was.

Edited by ChrisM 2013-01-04 5:44 PM
2013-01-04 5:59 PM
in reply to: #4562773

User image

Payson, AZ
tri808 - 2013-01-04 4:30 PM

TankBoy - 2013-01-04 1:00 PM All you guys talking about power and intervals has been making me jealous for the past couple of weeks - I finally get to start my LT training block tomorrow with some hard intervals in the mountains and an FTP20 test early next week. Now I an not so jealous. What does everyone else have on tap for the weekend?

Run and swim tonight.  Hoping to bike long tomorrow, but high winds (gusting to 50) and rain might put me on the trainer.  Sunday should be a 10-11 mile run and maybe a short swim.

Oh, so it is not all paradise is it? 

x-country skiing tomorrow and long run Sunday.  long being relative to my other runs of course.

2013-01-04 6:03 PM
in reply to: #4562785

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
ChrisM - 2013-01-03 6:43 PM

March 8 - Solvang Century
---
May 25 - Ojai Century

Oooo - I did the Solvang Century more than 10 years ago - it was a blast with the exception of the headwind near Santa Maria. It's a beautiful ride.

I haven't done the Ojai Century - but used to ride around there when I was first married - it is beautiful there - but there are a couple of hilly sections that can toast your legs.

Sounds like a great season!

2013-01-04 6:14 PM
in reply to: #4562785

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Welcome back Chris, looks like a busy and exciting race schedule!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 190