BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-07-09 11:57 AM
in reply to: rymac

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-07-09 12:05 PM
in reply to: Fred D

2014-07-09 12:09 PM

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by Fred D Ran 100 on my 25mm Conti today and felt good. Got stung by a wasp at the end of the ride. I honestly have been stung more times this year than all other years combined, in my life! Ps I finished Shane's diabolical bike block today. Thank you God!

All this great bike work and it's not certain you'll top the strava leaderboard for the week since Shane split it up on you!

2014-07-09 12:18 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by Fred D James and I will be at Musselman this weekend doing the HIM. Just went over my race plan and looking forward to a fun race! We are staying in college dorms which should be fun. Hoping to catch a bit if tdf as well. I'm waiting to watch the replay today to see how many more times a certain GC candidate will fall...

It was cool watching the TdF ride through England esp since I visited just last year.

2014-07-09 12:21 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Seattle

Hey, do any of you guys have any tips for racing in the heat (specifically running.)

It's looking like there is a good chance it will be close to 90 for our race. I know they are going to have water (which is kind of unheard of for a 10000 on the track...) and cold sponges. I'll just be racing in flats (maybe no socks?) and bun huggers or something similar pus my singlet. So, I dunno if there is much I can do in terms of wardrobe. 

Are there things I should do in preparation? I plan to hydrate well in the days leading up of course...but maybe there is something I am missing?

I just want to make sure I am doing everything I can.

2014-07-09 12:24 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Hey, do any of you guys have any tips for racing in the heat (specifically running.)

It's looking like there is a good chance it will be close to 90 for our race. I know they are going to have water (which is kind of unheard of for a 10000 on the track...) and cold sponges. I'll just be racing in flats (maybe no socks?) and bun huggers or something similar pus my singlet. So, I dunno if there is much I can do in terms of wardrobe. 

Are there things I should do in preparation? I plan to hydrate well in the days leading up of course...but maybe there is something I am missing?

I think just making sure you are properly hydrated leading up to it is all you need for a race of that length.  Splash some water or use a sponge during it if you want to cool yourself off but I don't think trying to actually drink will do much unless you just want to rinse your mouth out of it gets dry.

2014-07-09 12:34 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by axteraa

I think just making sure you are properly hydrated leading up to it is all you need for a race of that length.  Splash some water or use a sponge during it if you want to cool yourself off but I don't think trying to actually drink will do much unless you just want to rinse your mouth out of it gets dry.

I'm not great in the heat, but at this point that's about all I can see doing too. Some running in hotter temperatures might help a little, but with the race only a few days away I'd lean much more towards being well rested for it.

2014-07-09 12:37 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Fred D Ran 100 on my 25mm Conti today and felt good. Got stung by a wasp at the end of the ride. I honestly have been stung more times this year than all other years combined, in my life! Ps I finished Shane's diabolical bike block today. Thank you God!

Impressive bike workouts Fred!  It should set you up nicely for the weekend.

2014-07-09 1:08 PM

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by brigby1

I'm not great in the heat, but at this point that's about all I can see doing too. Some running in hotter temperatures might help a little, but with the race only a few days away I'd lean much more towards being well rested for it.

Same here - I melt in the heat.  Not that it has an impact on hydration, but if you can sip some water every once in a while, I find it has a positive impact mentally.

2014-07-09 1:10 PM

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by Fred D James and I will be at Musselman this weekend doing the HIM. Just went over my race plan and looking forward to a fun race! We are staying in college dorms which should be fun. Hoping to catch a bit if tdf as well. I'm waiting to watch the replay today to see how many more times a certain GC candidate will fall...

Wait, what???  Did you just give a spoiler!!!  So much TDF to watch and so little time, I swear I have fast forwarded through most of the stages so far and just play every once in a while to see what they are saying, or if it looks like an interesting section.  No kids next week so I was hoping I'd get the TV to myself, but work and life have conspired to give me even less time!

2014-07-09 1:19 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

Originally posted by GoFaster

Wait, what???  Did you just give a spoiler!!!  So much TDF to watch and so little time, I swear I have fast forwarded through most of the stages so far and just play every once in a while to see what they are saying, or if it looks like an interesting section.  No kids next week so I was hoping I'd get the TV to myself, but work and life have conspired to give me even less time!

No spoilers here, but I caught a bit of it before work today.  If you are going to watch any (non mountain) stage this year, stage 5 is the one to watch.  I don't know the particulars (actually I think I saw a post re who won the stage on a skim of facebook), but rain on cobbles makes for a very interesting and messy race.

2014-07-09 1:20 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

Master
, California

Same here - I melt in the heat.  Not that it has an impact on hydration, but if you can sip some water every once in a while, I find it has a positive impact mentally.

Don't underestimate the benefit of water on your head.  Especially at that distance... you can hydrate mostly before/after the race.  But keep using those sponges.  You'll be running fast and the airflow over the water will carry a lot of heat away.

2014-07-09 1:22 PM

Seattle

Yeah I hear ya. I have been running in the heat of the day the last couple weeks as much as possible. (it's been pretty warm here, luckily.

I did my tune-up yesterday and nearly melted. 

It seems the general consensus is that we all struggle in heat, even those who are somewhat acclimated. I guess that means our times, collectively, will be rather slow on Friday. Maybe, just maybe if I get my head right, I can just hang on and finish and hope some of the speed demons that are going for the prize purse go out too fast and can't stay in the race. 

2014-07-09 2:15 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Originally posted by ChrisM

No spoilers here, but I caught a bit of it before work today.  If you are going to watch any (non mountain) stage this year, stage 5 is the one to watch.  I don't know the particulars (actually I think I saw a post re who won the stage on a skim of facebook), but rain on cobbles makes for a very interesting and messy race.

Thanks for reminding me to stay off FB today.  This is the one stage I have been looking forward to because you kind of have to watch the whole thing.  Unlike mountain stages where the GC contenders tend to sit back and wait for the last climb...cobbles has you on pins and needles the whole race.  Also great because the break has a much better chance than your typical stages.

2014-07-09 2:57 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Fred, what are your goals for the race?  Similarly, what are you hoping for (different question!)?

How about you James?

Matt

2014-07-09 3:00 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Yeah I hear ya. I have been running in the heat of the day the last couple weeks as much as possible. (it's been pretty warm here, luckily.

I did my tune-up yesterday and nearly melted. 

It seems the general consensus is that we all struggle in heat, even those who are somewhat acclimated. I guess that means our times, collectively, will be rather slow on Friday. Maybe, just maybe if I get my head right, I can just hang on and finish and hope some of the speed demons that are going for the prize purse go out too fast and can't stay in the race. 

I love it!  A race in which you've said you might be DFL (and are ok with that) and now you're thinking about how to work it!!!  A racer, through and through.

If there's a number pinned on you…  

Tear it up!

Matt

2014-07-09 4:03 PM
in reply to: Jason N

I always thought that Haleakala was the longest paved climb in the world.  But I think the road up to Mauna Loa on the Big Island was paved further, and now it seems it goes up to 12k feet.  Just got word that there is a bunch of Big Island guys trying to do an organized/supported ride that is an unofficial race.  Likely around 30-50 people participating with two options...40 miles and 6k feet, or 60 miles and 12k feet.

Waiting for more details, but so long as there are bottle handouts or at least areas where we can refill (read...I don't need to bring my own sag vehicle), I will likely make it a fly in and out same day trip.  Wouldn't start till 8am, so I figure it's possible.  It would be epic...and given that the race up Mauna Kea fizzled out a few years ago, I'm not going to miss this opportunity if I can help it.  It would be on August 9th...just over 4 weeks from now.

http://www.strava.com/routes/581292

2014-07-09 5:00 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jason N

I always thought that Haleakala was the longest paved climb in the world.  But I think the road up to Mauna Loa on the Big Island was paved further, and now it seems it goes up to 12k feet.  Just got word that there is a bunch of Big Island guys trying to do an organized/supported ride that is an unofficial race.  Likely around 30-50 people participating with two options...40 miles and 6k feet, or 60 miles and 12k feet.

Waiting for more details, but so long as there are bottle handouts or at least areas where we can refill (read...I don't need to bring my own sag vehicle), I will likely make it a fly in and out same day trip.  Wouldn't start till 8am, so I figure it's possible.  It would be epic...and given that the race up Mauna Kea fizzled out a few years ago, I'm not going to miss this opportunity if I can help it.  It would be on August 9th...just over 4 weeks from now.

Awesome!  The Google Street view at the top is interesting.  Are you riding on this??  Hope this link works for Street View.

https://www.google.ca/maps/search/Unnamed+Rd/@19.542264,-155.565162,3a,75y,56.53h,76.14t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sOs-HYGGn15V_X7M-lWZr5g!2e0

2014-07-09 5:09 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Anyone have any ideas of what would cause a brake squeal noise?  I put my FLO wheel on for my ride tonight to make sure everything was working ok and whenever I apply heavy braking on the front, it gives off a loud squealing noise that is somewhat concerning.  It doesn't seem to affect the stopping power but it doesn't sound good.

Any suggestions of what it might be?

2014-07-09 5:10 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Fred, what are your goals for the race?  Similarly, what are you hoping for (different question!)?

How about you James?

Matt

and what's the course like?  Hills, flat?

2014-07-09 5:17 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Anyone have any ideas of what would cause a brake squeal noise?  I put my FLO wheel on for my ride tonight to make sure everything was working ok and whenever I apply heavy braking on the front, it gives off a loud squealing noise that is somewhat concerning.  It doesn't seem to affect the stopping power but it doesn't sound good.

Any suggestions of what it might be?

most likely culprit is the brake yaw angle or "toe-in" is not adjusted properly. The front edge of the pad should touch the rim slightly before the rear.

2014-07-09 5:29 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

2014-07-09 5:33 PM

2014-07-09 5:39 PM

With the new mid compact you might want to stick with the easy route 

2014-07-09 7:45 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Originally posted by ChrisM

With the new mid compact you might want to stick with the easy route 

LOL.  36/32 would probably be plenty of gear...as long as I don't cramp up.  So it's very likely I swap it back to 50/34.  I really only need 52/36 for this weekend anyway.  Road race that has a downwind sprint finish.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38739 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74221 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.