BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2014-05-02 11:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2
Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Also, if you read my RR for Boston, you know I have been talking about deciphering goals vs expectations. Again, the definition of expectation is: A fantasy of how things "should" be other than dealing with how they are. Virtually always toxic. 

Jesse Thomas wrote a very timely blog post:

Expectation vs. Reality

http://leapdaysports.com/2014/05/01/wildflower-a-year-later-expectation-vs-reality/

>

Jonathan, I'm heading over to Strava to find you man!

Manatee group! Cool

I wonder why my swim time doesn't show up in leader boards?

Edited by JJ- 2014-05-02 11:54 AM

2014-05-02 11:54 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by rrrunner

One more thing before I have to get back to work.

Janyne Rocks!!!!!

Agreed!!!!!!!!!!

x eleventy billion or so.  

2014-05-02 11:54 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!

May 3-4
Kate - Mother's Day Triathlon (Mini) on Sunday
Matt - Great Bear Run 5k (kids do the mile) on Sunday ???
Judi - East Coast Super Sprint Triathlon on Sunday
Janyne - Raven Rock Ramble 100k ride on Sunday
Erin - Esprit de She Tri Tempe Sprint on Sunday

May 4 is TJ's birthday

Disabled list:
Matt - left knee (no racing + DL on the same week rule)
Salty - under the weather
Mary - Shoulder / under the weather

GOOOOO RACERS! In addition to being disabled, I am also "racing"

Ooooh whatcha doing?

Did you see on twitter the Duke Running Club ladies are in Oiselle?

Just a 40 mile ride. 

Oh yeah, all their singlets? Very cute. Did you see Flotrack retweeted my tweet about Oiselle/Sally Bergeson coming out with a shoe for Kara ? Haha!

PS I have been doing group runs with the Oiselle ladies Have to miss this weeks due to my big race though

I saw that! And ONLY 40?! Is beer involved?

I've been to a couple stores trying to find some Oiselle to buy. I went to one in Phoenix and one here. The only piece I liked was a long sleeve T that the store here didn't have in my size (in Phoenix I ended up getting a really cute lole running skirt). The guy here said he'll be getting in more Oiselle so I'll go check it out again soon. Maybe on Monday when he has the Cinco k...

2014-05-02 11:55 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master

Thanks all.  Sooooo glad I don't have to think about it anymore...I had never failed a course before that and it was NOT fun!

2014-05-02 11:58 AM

Master
Northern IL

Just a 40 mile ride. 

Oh yeah, all their singlets? Very cute. Did you see Flotrack retweeted my tweet about Oiselle/Sally Bergeson coming out with a shoe for Kara ? Haha!

PS I have been doing group runs with the Oiselle ladies Have to miss this weeks due to my big race though

The Brewery ride? A little worrisome you left out that part.

2014-05-02 12:09 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by brigby1

Just a 40 mile ride. 

The Brewery ride? A little worrisome you left out that part.

Hahaha, I won't leave that out ever again. Yes, the brewery ride!

2014-05-02 12:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Melon Presser

GO KATIEFROG!!!
GO ST. JUDE!!!
GO NYNY!!!
GO GOODY!!!

Get better, Gimps! That includes me, guess. Under the weather. Except it's fine and I'm not!

It's kinda durrr that I've been too tired and busy to tell you guys what's going on (you think that'd be a clue to take it easy ... ). Lost a lot of blood during what was a stomach or GI-affecting virus in January. Fatigue persisted ... turns out (either from the virus, or the virus or illness kicked it back into gear, or at least here the docs see it all the time concurrent and/or recurring after dengue & chikungunya) I have an underactive thyroid. Because this type often does resolve, and my cholesterol levels and heart are just fine, and it can take weeks to really calibrate synthetic hormonal replacements well (and the docs here suck at most such things, frankly), and by which time things may have changed in my body anyway ... no drugs. For now. Will have to test every few weeks to make sure it's improving and not becoming a permanent condition.

In the meanwhile, it's like having permanent PMS--bloated, sweaty (yet cold), have gained a bunch of weight (I am HUGE in my Jakarta wedding pics)--and just forkin' super tired and foggy all the time. And being heavy and bloated and thirsty and really tired do NOT make working out easier. Zero motivation and trying to drag this extra weight around.

On the Mutti front, still trying to find another caretaker for her. Prospects are bleak. Going back to Jakarta next week to relieve current caretaker for a few days and continue the search. This is really, really wearing on me.

Finally ... I went to a school K-12 that (frankly and simply statistically) is one of the best in the world--my family did a lot to form it and keep it going. There's an extremely strong and tight-knit alumni community (which we've also had a lot to do with, esp. my brother) of students, teachers, and staff. Including people who were associated with the school 40 years ago. Quite a few came to my wedding, and I graduated 20 years ago.

Anyway, in the last month, we've been shattered by two Penn-State like tragedies, and the extent is getting bigger and more horrifying. It's been covered by most major news outlets around the world. I don't even know what to say, and there are some things I can't say. Our family is still in the middle of things and is one of the few that's been involved through most of the school's lifetime. Our Jakarta house is literally next to the school's main campus. It's less than 100m away. Countless friends who attended with me now have their children there (all my brother's kids attended as well) and have some really difficult decisions to make. Above all, and what everyone I know wishes to hold dear above all, is sympathy, care, justice, and future for the children most affected (then and now). There's an enormous amount of terrible accusations, mudslinging, and involvement/digging up of other issues and we can neither ignore them nor let them detract from what's most important.

So that's all that. Whew. Good to get that all out. It's just been a lot lately, and you guys know what it's like to have a lot on your plate and still do the fundamental daily things of caring for family, work, training, etc.

Hah. Maybe the timing of all these weddings and races was not ideal? I will say though ... what bright, bright spots, and how much tremendous life and joy I have from everyone around me, including you.

P.S. GO SALTY (and take it easy)!!!

P.P.S. CONSPANKULATIONS CHEARSTAINNH!!!

Heh. I only took Calc II once and aced it, but it took almost as many tries on Calc I as Ironman attempts

Edited by IndoIronYanti 2014-05-02 12:19 PM
2014-05-02 12:12 PM

User image

Seattle

Racing Manatees!

May 3-4

May 4 is TJ's birthday

Disabled list:

Ooooh whatcha doing?

Did you see on twitter the Duke Running Club ladies are in Oiselle?

Just a 40 mile ride. 

I saw that! And ONLY 40?! Is beer involved?

I've been to a couple stores trying to find some Oiselle to buy. I went to one in Phoenix and one here. The only piece I liked was a long sleeve T that the store here didn't have in my size (in Phoenix I ended up getting a really cute lole running skirt). The guy here said he'll be getting in more Oiselle so I'll go check it out again soon. Maybe on Monday when he has the Cinco k...

I'm a big fan of their roga shorts. I wear them for casual stuff, paddling, riding, running and lifting. They have a good balance of coverage and breathability. 

2014-05-02 12:20 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by bcraht

Hi all,

Ok, so school is done.  Thank goodness.  I've been off since last Friday (well, I had a couple pick up shifts this week, including anesthetizing a pig...) and I am getting some stuff don't around the house and yard.  For any Manatees that were around last year, you may remember that I was taking Calculus II and failed.  Well, I retook it and found out a couple days ago that I got 80% on the final (last year I got 41%) and ended up with an A in the course.  Good thing, cause I don't think I could have taken it a third time...

Good luck to all racers, heal up DL'ers!

YAY YAY YAY!!!  Great job, Kirsten!!

2014-05-02 12:24 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!

May 3-4

May 4 is TJ's birthday

Disabled list:

How did I miss this?!

GO SALTY!

2014-05-02 12:26 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by bcraht

Hi all,

Ok, so school is done.  Thank goodness.  I've been off since last Friday (well, I had a couple pick up shifts this week, including anesthetizing a pig...) and I am getting some stuff don't around the house and yard.  For any Manatees that were around last year, you may remember that I was taking Calculus II and failed.  Well, I retook it and found out a couple days ago that I got 80% on the final (last year I got 41%) and ended up with an A in the course.  Good thing, cause I don't think I could have taken it a third time...

Good luck to all racers, heal up DL'ers!

Congratulations!

2014-05-02 12:29 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

That includes me, guess. Under the weather. Except it's fine and I'm not!

Yanti dear, your plate is way too full and it really sucks that there's not a dang thing you can do about it.  Sending you lots of healing thoughts and wishes for strength to help you through these awful dark days.  You're a strong Iron-Woman, even if you're not feeling like it right now, and you've made it through tough times before.  Remember that this too shall pass and that you've got lots of loving friends rooting for you.  ((((great big hugs!!))))

2014-05-02 12:31 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Denver, CO

Racing Manatees!

May 3-4

May 4 is TJ's birthday

Disabled list:

Looks like some awsome races this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kate, Judi and Erin S/B/R with a smile!!!!!!!!

Janyne ride it like you stole it!!!!!!!!!!

Matt, so sorry, heal up!!!!!!!

DLers HEALHEALHEALHEAL!!!!!!!

Once again, I agree with TJ whole heartedly!

And a very happy birthday!!!

Yup, yup, yup - same from me.  Have great races everybody and happy happy day, TJ!

2014-05-02 12:37 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by laffinrock

Yanti dear, your plate is way too full and it really sucks that there's not a dang thing you can do about it.  Sending you lots of healing thoughts and wishes for strength to help you through these awful dark days.  You're a strong Iron-Woman, even if you're not feeling like it right now, and you've made it through tough times before.  Remember that this too shall pass and that you've got lots of loving friends rooting for you((((great big hugs!!))))

And a husband!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry you're going through so much. I love knowing that you've also got Kingley to lean on.

2014-05-02 12:46 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Yanti dear, your plate is way too full and it really sucks that there's not a dang thing you can do about it.  Sending you lots of healing thoughts and wishes for strength to help you through these awful dark days.  You're a strong Iron-Woman, even if you're not feeling like it right now, and you've made it through tough times before.  Remember that this too shall pass and that you've got lots of loving friends rooting for you((((great big hugs!!))))

And a husband!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry you're going through so much. I love knowing that you've also got Kingley to lean on.

I have always been, and now are, surrounded with angels. This group: case in point!

Kingsley is a rock star. I would have found it hard to believe humans like him existed had I not known so many of them before. We'll see what it's like after the honeymoon period is over, but Dub6 challenged me to outlast his and Ann's (27 years? That right) and I am never one to back down on a dare!

2014-05-02 12:53 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Yanti dear, your plate is way too full and it really sucks that there's not a dang thing you can do about it.  Sending you lots of healing thoughts and wishes for strength to help you through these awful dark days.  You're a strong Iron-Woman, even if you're not feeling like it right now, and you've made it through tough times before.  Remember that this too shall pass and that you've got lots of loving friends rooting for you.  ((((great big hugs!!))))

^^^  this x another eleventy billion or so. 

{{{Tangemelon Presses and Snuggles}}}  for you - I wish there was something more I could do, but for now - know that you're in my heart and in my thoughts.  Much love to you, Yantilicious.  xoxo

2014-05-02 12:58 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I have always been, and now are, surrounded with angels. This group: case in point!

Kingsley is a rock star. I would have found it hard to believe humans like him existed had I not known so many of them before. We'll see what it's like after the honeymoon period is over, but Dub6 challenged me to outlast his and Ann's (27 years? That right) and I am never one to back down on a dare!

After the honeymoon period is over you get comfortable with each other. And you love each other more every day, because of that comfort, not in spite of it.

2014-05-02 1:15 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

It's kinda durrr that I've been too tired and busy to tell you guys what's going on (you think that'd be a clue to take it easy ... ). Lost a lot of blood during what was a stomach or GI-affecting virus in January. Fatigue persisted ... turns out (either from the virus, or the virus or illness kicked it back into gear, or at least here the docs see it all the time concurrent and/or recurring after dengue & chikungunya) I have an underactive thyroid. Because this type often does resolve, and my cholesterol levels and heart are just fine, and it can take weeks to really calibrate synthetic hormonal replacements well (and the docs here suck at most such things, frankly), and by which time things may have changed in my body anyway ... no drugs. For now. Will have to test every few weeks to make sure it's improving and not becoming a permanent condition.

In the meanwhile, it's like having permanent PMS--bloated, sweaty (yet cold), have gained a bunch of weight (I am HUGE in my Jakarta wedding pics)--and just forkin' super tired and foggy all the time. And being heavy and bloated and thirsty and really tired do NOT make working out easier. Zero motivation and trying to drag this extra weight around.

On the Mutti front, still trying to find another caretaker for her. Prospects are bleak. Going back to Jakarta next week to relieve current caretaker for a few days and continue the search. This is really, really wearing on me.

Finally ... I went to a school K-12 that (frankly and simply statistically) is one of the best in the world--my family did a lot to form it and keep it going. There's an extremely strong and tight-knit alumni community (which we've also had a lot to do with, esp. my brother) of students, teachers, and staff. Including people who were associated with the school 40 years ago. Quite a few came to my wedding, and I graduated 20 years ago.

Anyway, in the last month, we've been shattered by two Penn-State like tragedies, and the extent is getting bigger and more horrifying. It's been covered by most major news outlets around the world. I don't even know what to say, and there are some things I can't say. Our family is still in the middle of things and is one of the few that's been involved through most of the school's lifetime. Our Jakarta house is literally next to the school's main campus. It's less than 100m away. Countless friends who attended with me now have their children there (all my brother's kids attended as well) and have some really difficult decisions to make. Above all, and what everyone I know wishes to hold dear above all, is sympathy, care, justice, and future for the children most affected (then and now). There's an enormous amount of terrible accusations, mudslinging, and involvement/digging up of other issues and we can neither ignore them nor let them detract from what's most important.

So that's all that. Whew. Good to get that all out. It's just been a lot lately, and you guys know what it's like to have a lot on your plate and still do the fundamental daily things of caring for family, work, training, etc.

Hah. Maybe the timing of all these weddings and races was not ideal? I will say though ... what bright, bright spots, and how much tremendous life and joy I have from everyone around me, including you.

That's a lot for anyone to deal with!  Even Iron Yanti!

Have you talked to Jenn about the thyroid issues?  I think that, unfortunately, she has some experience with that.

Hopefully the Mutti helper situation will work out quickly. 

Sorry about the situation at the school.

Thank you for taking care of Raider.

2014-05-02 1:28 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

If anyone can get through this and come out a champ on the other side - it's YOU!! Stay strong my friend! You inspire me every day
2014-05-02 2:28 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master

I have to share this pool moment while I'm laughing about it. I've been using my sleeveless all week because 1) I need the practice and 2) I LIKE IT!   It's been pretty empty, like I'm the only person or maybe one other, so really no funny looks or questions. Except for the guy who took a break while I was "adjusting" when I first got in. Guy:"Wow, a full wetsuit?" Me:"yes. I need to get used to it." Guy:"Oh. You have sensitive skin?" Me:"No. I have a triathlon on Sunday, and I need to practice swimming in it." Guy:"oh, cool. Good luck." Me:"Thanks "   SENSITIVE SKIN?  While maybe a legit question, I still chuckled.

2014-05-02 2:30 PM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JJ-

Also, if you read my RR for Boston, you know I have been talking about deciphering goals vs expectations. Again, the definition of expectation is: A fantasy of how things "should" be other than dealing with how they are. Virtually always toxic. 

Jesse Thomas wrote a very timely blog post:

Expectation vs. Reality

http://leapdaysports.com/2014/05/01/wildflower-a-year-later-expectation-vs-reality/

>

Jonathan, I'm heading over to Strava to find you man!

Manatee group! Cool I wonder why my swim time doesn't show up in leader boards?

I think that you listed distance by not time and it's going by time.

2014-05-02 4:52 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Seattle

Hang in there Yanti, one thing at a time! 

2014-05-02 9:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Hey all, I'm out of the tri this weekend--I just couldn't swing the $80 price tag (all the wishful thinking about job prospects meant I didn't sign up for any races...so I am out of luck for this one and Auburn tri)

2014-05-02 9:03 PM
in reply to: kgore

User image

Master

Sorry to hear that Kate, but nice to see you--I was thinking of you on my ride tonight!  Hope you are doing well.

2014-05-02 9:04 PM

User image

Master

Yanti, sorry to hear your family, health and community troubles continue.  Yeesh!  So glad you have Kingsley for support though

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 64689 Posts: 2563

2014-04-03 7:43 AM IndoIronYanti

New Year 2014 Mentor Program is OPEN! Instructions Inside

Started by Ron
Views: 2977 Posts: 20

2014-03-26 2:43 PM simoneocean

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 28166 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

2014 Rookies - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16

Started by Jason N
Views: 16393 Posts: 376

2014-04-28 2:54 PM Danmartinids

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 100359 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.