BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2016-02-18 6:14 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed

Hope everyone is doing well.  Looks like we have several days of nice weather ahead with temps getting close to 70 over the weekend.  I am thinking about doing a charity ride on Sunday.  About 100 miles to the Battleship Alabama and then back.  Apparently it is a mixed bag with some easy miles early and some hammering later.  Several of my teammates and cycling buddies are doing it so it should be fun.  So, the next two days will be fairly easy so I will be somewhat fresh come Sunday.

Anyone have anything exciting planned for the weekend?

2016-02-18 6:33 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Related to the TSS conversation (but less geeky), can you guys comment on how you integrate recovery weeks (if you do at all). Seems like a lot of people do the "take every fourth week easy" thing, though others seem to recover more often, and other less. And some people just seem to go by feel, reducing volume and/or intensity as needed. Do you always do a full recovery (i.e. all 3 sports) or is it possible to have an easy bike week, for example, but keep the volume/intensity with run training, or would that forgo the full benefits of a recovery week?
2016-02-18 6:52 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Sunday a bunch of us are getting together for some torture on the bike.  65-70 miles with 9-10k feet of climbing.  Very little of the elevation gain is on rolling stuff...it will either be flat, steep uphill, or steep downhill.

2016-02-18 8:45 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Woo hoo. 7.9 miles in 59 minutes tonight. Knee feels good. I'll be sore tomorrow. Might have been just a little more effort than I should have given but several things (mostly the fading light while I was running on a busy road) conspired to have me running a little harder than I should have.

It's good to be back running and feeling ok.
2016-02-19 5:39 AM

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Originally posted by slornow

Hope everyone is doing well.  Looks like we have several days of nice weather ahead with temps getting close to 70 over the weekend.  I am thinking about doing a charity ride on Sunday.  About 100 miles to the Battleship Alabama and then back.  Apparently it is a mixed bag with some easy miles early and some hammering later.  Several of my teammates and cycling buddies are doing it so it should be fun.  So, the next two days will be fairly easy so I will be somewhat fresh come Sunday.

So 100 round trip or 100 each way? Sounds like fun hopefully you have good weather.
2016-02-19 5:41 AM

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Woo hoo. 7.9 miles in 59 minutes tonight. Knee feels good. I'll be sore tomorrow. Might have been just a little more effort than I should have given but several things (mostly the fading light while I was running on a busy road) conspired to have me running a little harder than I should have.

It's good to be back running and feeling ok.

Very impressive less than a month post surgery! You're a machine.

2016-02-19 6:39 AM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis

Related to the TSS conversation (but less geeky), can you guys comment on how you integrate recovery weeks (if you do at all). Seems like a lot of people do the "take every fourth week easy" thing, though others seem to recover more often, and other less. And some people just seem to go by feel, reducing volume and/or intensity as needed. Do you always do a full recovery (i.e. all 3 sports) or is it possible to have an easy bike week, for example, but keep the volume/intensity with run training, or would that forgo the full benefits of a recovery week?

I guess it will depend on the definition of recovery week.

If I do 2 or 3 really solid weeks, above average, then yes I will back off on a week. But this doesn't happen that often. A few times per year, Maybe 6 or so.

If it's not related to a big block of work, I find life has a way of forcing rest days and if they don't then I will back off for a day or two if there is something I don't like.

If I am fealing overall fatigue I will just back off on all 3. Sometimes I will do a slower run week (like this week) just to allow my old body to catch up. But it's a different kind of fatigue. It's when the joints start to show signs. So I can up other sports to compensate for the load.

This is where TSB, CTL and ATL can be useful in geek terms.

2016-02-19 10:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Doc said I could go on our club ride tomorrow (50-60 miles) depending on how I felt after doing 90 min of Sufferfest this morning. That went really well although not as good as I have been riding. I think the first 20 minutes or so I was a bit tentative waiting to see if something bad was going to happen. I will take it though after being off the bike for 10 days. My only restriction is no out of the saddle for another week but I can plow up the few big climbs in the saddle. Then Sunday it's back to Sufferfest for two hours.

I am cancelling the Oly I was planning on doing in a few weeks since I can't run. No need to push it with bigger goals in mind. Instead I am going to do the Solvang Century ride on March 12th if I can get a hotel room this late. I guess that's what I will be doing for the next hour or so, looking for accommodations.

Everybody enjoy the weekend.
2016-02-19 11:33 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

I must of done something to anger the Tri gods,

got sick two weeks ago, took a week off. got back into things feeling good, on Tuesday night took a hockey stick to the face and had to get a few stiches in my chin,

well there goes swim training for a week or so..

ughhh...

2016-02-19 12:51 PM

User image

Had a solid TT ride yesterday.  4x12.5' @ 275-280 with 2.5' recovery. 

2016-02-19 8:06 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by Jason N

Really, really impressive. At least to this power lacking wannabe.

2016-02-20 7:56 AM
in reply to: GoldenSprocket

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by GoldenSprocket

So 100 round trip or 100 each way? Sounds like fun hopefully you have good weather.

It will be a little over 100 miles round trip. Weather looks good. Partly cloudy with temps from 63-69 with fairly light winds. Looking forward to it.

Seems strange to be sitting around on a Saturday morning.  Usually out riding to try to get it done early.  My calves have been a little tight/sore since my run Thursday so I took a "leg rest" day yesterday and just did some strength work. Would usually have done  a swim but the pool is closed until Monday.  Going to keep it light today as well and do some cleanup on the bike.  I have really enjoyed having the pool closed this week.

Jason N-nice work...really strong.

Jason A-great that you are back so quickly.  Seems like you made the right call on the surgery 

2016-02-20 9:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Jason N,

what do you believe you could do for 2x8' with 10min rest in between in terms of % of FTP ?

112 ? 115 ? 110 ?

2016-02-20 10:03 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Originally posted by marcag

Jason N, what do you believe you could do for 2x8' with 10min rest in between in terms of % of FTP ? 112 ? 115 ? 110 ?

I haven't tried something like that, but if I had to, I'd probably shoot for around 112% as a safe number and see if I could squeeze more out.  I've done 13' all out recently at 112% which includes 7-8 seconds of coasting to make a U turn. 

2016-02-20 11:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

Jason N, what do you believe you could do for 2x8' with 10min rest in between in terms of % of FTP ? 112 ? 115 ? 110 ?

I haven't tried something like that, but if I had to, I'd probably shoot for around 112% as a safe number and see if I could squeeze more out.  I've done 13' all out recently at 112% which includes 7-8 seconds of coasting to make a U turn. 

Ya, but 10min recovery. That's a lot of recovery
BTW, theoreticallty if you can do 112% for 13min, you could do that 2x8 with 10min at 115%.
That TR test would probably overestimate your FTP by 3 or 4%

Edited by marcag 2016-02-20 11:51 AM
2016-02-20 12:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Ya, but 10min recovery. That's a lot of recovery BTW, theoreticallty if you can do 112% for 13min, you could do that 2x8 with 10min at 115%. That TR test would probably overestimate your FTP by 3 or 4%

I get why people prefer to do that 8' test, but it's beyond me that anyone thinks it correlates at all with one's FTP.  And 10' rest?  I haven't even looked at that test protocol in years and forgot that it was so much rest.  Maybe 2x8' on 2' rest would give a better estimation....but at that point, why not just suck it up and do the 20 minutes (which, admittedly, is not a perfect estimation either...). 

2016-02-20 3:54 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Expert
Just another routine work day but always good when I can sneak out of the hospital and go for a run!! I had to stop twice to answer a page, and also the extra adrenaline I have from carrying 2 pagers certainly doesn't help me enjoy the experience as best I could. Nonetheless, I've managed to get all my runs in while at work this week. It's a good feeling!!

1 hour run, increasing pace every 15 min to a final 15 min pace at 8:20.

Just like biking, I'm surprised how much stronger I feel at the end than at the beginning of sets like these.

Group Question:

I have read lots on benefits of trainer vs outside biking. Lately (at least for last 1 year) I have done about 85% of all my riding on the trainer. Curious what others do (rough% indoor vs outdoor riding)? I prefer outside but it takes much longer to get ready and then the traffic/texter drivers freak me out. Even on my Harley I am paranoid of people texting and not paying attention. I do believe I get better focused sessions on the trainer, but I used to love being outside and I miss it.

Jim
2016-02-20 5:46 PM
in reply to: jimmyb

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by jimmybGroup Question: I have read lots on benefits of trainer vs outside biking. Lately (at least for last 1 year) I have done about 85% of all my riding on the trainer. Curious what others do (rough% indoor vs outdoor riding)? I prefer outside but it takes much longer to get ready and then the traffic/texter drivers freak me out. Even on my Harley I am paranoid of people texting and not paying attention. I do believe I get better focused sessions on the trainer, but I used to love being outside and I miss it. Jim

If my goal was to be as fast as I could possibly be, I would ride the trainer 95% of the time.  If my goal was to have as much fun as possible and not care as much about my improvement, I would ride outside 100% of the time without a computer, GPS, or power meter.  

My goal is to make improvement while still having fun, so I ride the trainer 2x a week (hard intervals) and ride outside once or twice a week (some with set intervals, some just as a group ride with a "whatever goes" mentality) when the weather is decent.  I think you strike a balance, but if you're "relegated" to indoor riding, you're probably in a good place to make more improvement.

2016-02-20 9:13 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by jimmybGroup Question: I have read lots on benefits of trainer vs outside biking. Lately (at least for last 1 year) I have done about 85% of all my riding on the trainer. Curious what others do (rough% indoor vs outdoor riding)? I prefer outside but it takes much longer to get ready and then the traffic/texter drivers freak me out. Even on my Harley I am paranoid of people texting and not paying attention. I do believe I get better focused sessions on the trainer, but I used to love being outside and I miss it. Jim

If my goal was to be as fast as I could possibly be, I would ride the trainer 95% of the time.  If my goal was to have as much fun as possible and not care as much about my improvement, I would ride outside 100% of the time without a computer, GPS, or power meter.  

My goal is to make improvement while still having fun, so I ride the trainer 2x a week (hard intervals) and ride outside once or twice a week (some with set intervals, some just as a group ride with a "whatever goes" mentality) when the weather is decent.  I think you strike a balance, but if you're "relegated" to indoor riding, you're probably in a good place to make more improvement.

I have to agree with Nicole on the fun part but my decision is generally work or weather related. Right now I have a great set up because I work at a JCC so a pool with a Masters program, stationary bikes with lots of classes including a 2 hour Sufferfest class three times a week, treadmills, weights etc etc etc. So during the winter I do most of my riding indoors on a stationary bike with all the electronics.

But if the weather permits, I ride with my local bike group on Sat mornings. The most fun I have all week, with the camaraderie and the ability to go anywhere you choose.

The bad part of the outdoor rides is what happened today. We had a man down. We were in a double pace line moving at about 26 mph when one of our less experienced riders clipped wheels with the guy next to him. He went down hard. Three broken ribs and a broken shoulder blade along with the usual cuts and bruises. Kinda ended the fun for the day. But in true cyclist fashion his first question was "how's my bike?". Gotta love it.

Please be careful out there!

2016-02-21 6:12 AM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Originally posted by jimmyb
I have read lots on benefits of trainer vs outside biking. Lately (at least for last 1 year) I have done about 85% of all my riding on the trainer. Curious what others do (rough% indoor vs outdoor riding)? I prefer outside but it takes much longer to get ready and then the traffic/texter drivers freak me out. Even on my Harley I am paranoid of people texting and not paying attention. I do believe I get better focused sessions on the trainer, but I used to love being outside and I miss it.

It's mostly a seasonal decision with me. Basically I'm 100% outdoors from mid-April to mid-October, and 100% indoors otherwise. Riding outside is definitely more enjoyable, and I think it is worthwhile to ride in undulating terrain, with headwinds/crosswinds, etc. But like you, the drivers freak me out. Unfortunately cyclists being killed out on the road is a regular occurrence around here (not frequent, but a couple of times a year). I've had a few close calls myself. It gets to the point where I feel guilty heading out and possibly risking my life when I have a family at home. It's almost with a sense of relief that I switch over to the trainer in the fall.

I'd probably ride the trainer more in the summer if switching over the tires wasn't such a pain in the butt. I'm keeping my eye out for a cheap used wheel I can use as a dedicated trainer wheel to make the changeover easier.
2016-02-21 6:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by jimmyb

It's mostly a seasonal decision with me. Basically I'm 100% outdoors from mid-April to mid-October, and 100% indoors otherwise. Riding outside is definitely more enjoyable, and I think it is worthwhile to ride in undulating terrain, with headwinds/crosswinds, etc. But like you, the drivers freak me out. Unfortunately cyclists being killed out on the road is a regular occurrence around here (not frequent, but a couple of times a year). I've had a few close calls myself. It gets to the point where I feel guilty heading out and possibly risking my life when I have a family at home. It's almost with a sense of relief that I switch over to the trainer in the fall.

I'd probably ride the trainer more in the summer if switching over the tires wasn't such a pain in the butt. I'm keeping my eye out for a cheap used wheel I can use as a dedicated trainer wheel to make the changeover easier.

Anything under 90min has to be super convenient or else I go on the trainer. In Montreal I am on a mountain, so within 2min I can do good hill repeats and I'll do that. In Ottawa, it takes me 15min to get to some nicer riding so 15min out, 15back...not worth it, I use the trainer.

I really don't like the trainer for anything longer than 90min. I can do it, but really dislike it. In the winter I will rarely go beyond 90min. Maybe 2 hours, between now and beginning of April. But longest ride to date has been 90min this winter

If I was training Oly only, I would probably be on the trainer 90%+ all year round.

The "get out and smell the fresh air" I get on the run.

Edited by marcag 2016-02-21 6:38 AM

2016-02-21 10:03 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

I love riding outdoors and it's definitely my preference, but except for 1 ride a week (on the weekend) it's all on the trainer.  Made me pretty decent at changing tires though...

2016-02-21 10:54 AM

User image

Oakville

Group Question: I have read lots on benefits of trainer vs outside biking. Lately (at least for last 1 year) I have done about 85% of all my riding on the trainer. Curious what others do (rough% indoor vs outdoor riding)? I prefer outside but it takes much longer to get ready and then the traffic/texter drivers freak me out. Even on my Harley I am paranoid of people texting and not paying attention. I do believe I get better focused sessions on the trainer, but I used to love being outside and I miss it. 

After a few calls on several outdoor rides a few years ago - mostly from distracted drivers and one that was deliberate - I do almost all of my rides on the trainer. 

That has worked for me when doing mostly Sprints and one Olympic last year, but I'm planning on doing a HIM in the fall and I don't have the mental strength to do a long ride on the trainer.  90 minutes seems to be the most I can handle right now and so will be doing all the longer rides outdoors. 

2016-02-21 11:04 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Oakville

I've been busy at work the past few weeks but have been keeping up on bike and run.  Plan to get a swim in this afternoon.... its been awhile and so don't expect much.  Just want to get a feel for the water.

I expect I've lost a bit of muscle strength during this break from swimming.  Any recommended upper body exercises to help bring the speed/endurance in the water back? 

2016-02-21 11:09 AM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

I don't really do focused recovery weeks. I do have weeks where the load is either decreased as life gets in the way, or move into another cycle/block of training and a few days are lighter, or a bit less frequency in sessions.

Haven't had a schedule off day in a few months, have had about 3 days off though, again life demands.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by cdban66
Views: 57258 Posts: 2782

2016-04-12 12:54 AM StaceyK

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.