BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-11-02 6:55 AM
in reply to: #3748253

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed
SSMinnow - 2011-11-02 6:14 AM

HEY!  It's time to talk about the weekend!  Who's racing? who's traveling to watch a race?

If you're not racing, have you picked your A race for '12? which one? 

ME!

I haven't gotten to chime in much on Wednesday, but this is my week.  I am in the condo at Panama City Beach.  The water is like glass,,,which is a good thing, and I think the weather will be great.  Looking forward to meeting and hanging out with some of the MG. 

My game plan for the race is to make it to the finish.  I am really skeptical about my knee.  I haven't run during the last month, but bike and swim is solid.  Got a cortizone shot monday before heading down and hopefully that will help.   I have a gps from:

www.myathletegps.com  bib 2253

Plan to get off the bike in good shape and probably start walking the marathon...with a little run mixed in for the first half.  If the leg is in good shape, plan is to run till I wreck it, then hobble in the rest of the way.

I want to thank all you guys for all your contributions over the last 3 or 4 years.  Honestly I would not be here if it weren't for the inspiration gathered with the MG.  Never thought about doing a full IM, but after hanging out with all you IM types, it just seemed like a natural thing to do.  

I want to mention that my mom was diagnosed with lung cancer and started Chemo on Monday.  She was going to be my support with my son, but she is not going to be here.  Going to miss her, and this week is going to be dedicated to pulling her through this.  Throw a prayer her way!

Lets do this!

October's totals:

Bike:32h 42m  - 556 Mi

Run:7h 00m  - 35 Mi

Swim:11h 10m  - 31300 Yd

2011-11-02 8:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SSMinnow - 2011-11-02 7:14 AM

HEY!  It's time to talk about the weekend!  Who's racing? who's traveling to watch a race?

Me.  Bib 1829.

And I want to echo the sentiments about this group.  I entered it with trepidation, not sure what I would find and somewhat nervous as a newbie a few years ago.  The group could not have been more supportive, informative, welcoming, kind and generous with their time and support.  You guys are just the best.  I am deeply grateful and appreciative for all the support and assistance you have provided to me and to others.  Although I have not chimed in very much, I have been a somewhat consistent lurker, and have learned a ton from the discussion.  Thank you.

Basic plan is swim comfortably within my zone, ride focusing on my power meter (keeping watts between 160 and 165), and give the marathon as much of a comfortable jog as I can.  I do not underestimate the day, and am feeling rather nervous.  But I am excited.  And I am excited that my FIL is doing it as well.

I look forward to meeting several of you in person (finally) later this week.  And again, thanks.

2011-11-02 8:45 AM
in reply to: #3748282

User image

Master
Maryland
Plainsman AU - 2011-11-02 7:55 AM

ME!

I haven't gotten to chime in much on Wednesday, but this is my week.  I am in the condo at Panama City Beach.  The water is like glass,,,which is a good thing, and I think the weather will be great.  Looking forward to meeting and hanging out with some of the MG. 

My game plan for the race is to make it to the finish.  I am really skeptical about my knee.  I haven't run during the last month, but bike and swim is solid.  Got a cortizone shot monday before heading down and hopefully that will help.   I have a gps from:

Plan to get off the bike in good shape and probably start walking the marathon...with a little run mixed in for the first half.  If the leg is in good shape, plan is to run till I wreck it, then hobble in the rest of the way.

I want to thank all you guys for all your contributions over the last 3 or 4 years.  Honestly I would not be here if it weren't for the inspiration gathered with the MG.  Never thought about doing a full IM, but after hanging out with all you IM types, it just seemed like a natural thing to do.  

I want to mention that my mom was diagnosed with lung cancer and started Chemo on Monday.  She was going to be my support with my son, but she is not going to be here.  Going to miss her, and this week is going to be dedicated to pulling her through this.  Throw a prayer her way!

Lets do this!

October's totals:

Barry, I am very excited for your race! I hope your mom is feeling better and responds well to the treatment. Your family is in my prayers.

2011-11-02 8:49 AM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
I completely forgot it was that time again.  Good luck guys, kick some a$$, Looking forward to watching you guys cross the finishing line strong!
2011-11-02 8:52 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

I signed up to race at Ed Sander CX race.  It's my team race and I'm running registration all day so not 100% sure I'll actually be able to race.  It's been a crazy week already trying to get everything prepared for a 500+ person race. 

I had to get a WebEx together with the 15 or so volunteers I have for running registration/prize distribution/results, crazy.

Going out to the race site Early saturday AM to get everything set up then back again very early Sunday to do final prep, then staying until all races are over.

I think next year I'll just go back to being a volunteer that shows up.

2011-11-02 9:00 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Woo-Hoo!!!  Very excited for both Barry and William.  You're right you never know what the day with throw at you, but remember your doing it for fun, not to win!

Twin gave me some advice before my last IM and I think it served me well.  Expect something to go wrong and maybe even four things, but rise above it.  I thought about that advice as I got 1) kicked in the head and freaked in the swim, 2) broke my cable at 3m 3) spun in the 39 for an hour and 4) sat on the side of the road for 25' waiting for SAG and the fix.  Once I got done with those things, I knew I had reached my "four things gone wrong" limit and had a great race afterwards.  Focus on the moment, not what happened or what is yet ahead of you and your race will be stellar no matter what the final time.  Enjoy!

2011-11-02 9:00 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

GOOD LUCK IMFL RACERS!!!  ENJOY EVERY MINUTE OF IT - THE GOOD AND THE BAD.   JUST REMEMBER YOU HAVE TRAINED FOR THIS, YOU ARE STRONG, AND HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE.  EVEN WHEN YOU ARE WALKING AND TIRED TAKE A MOMENT TO REFLECT ON WHAT YOU HAVE PERSEVERED THROUGH TO GET TO THAT MOMENT.  WE'LL BE WATCHING AND CHEERING!

Personally my daughter is competing in a gymnastics meet and the hubby is racing cyclocross.  Usual weekend for me.  I'll have to post some bragging photos of my little gymnast. She is quite good.  At her first meet she placed in several pieces of equipment and in the all around.  She decided winning trophies was pretty cool and is very motivated to bring home as many as she can.  That's my girl.

2011-11-02 9:12 AM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

RACERS!!!   RERESENT!!   We'll be following you - cheering you on!  Start absorbing it all NOW....savor it all!

I'd wish you luck - but you won't need it - you're ready!!!

OCCUPY FLORIDA!!

2011-11-02 9:57 AM
in reply to: #3748540

User image

velcromom - 2011-11-02 10:12 AM

RACERS!!!   RERESENT!!   We'll be following you - cheering you on!  Start absorbing it all NOW....savor it all!

I'd wish you luck - but you won't need it - you're ready!!!

OCCUPY FLORIDA!!

LOL!

Good luck guys, we'll be tracking you and cheering you on! Don't forget to smile for us when you cross the finish line!

I'm running a half marathon on Saturday. The course is flat and the forecast is perfect, so I'm looking for a PR!

2011-11-02 11:09 AM

User image

Champion
marietta

I AM!!!!!   I'm racing all over PCB on Saturday throwing empty beer cans at Barry, Chris & Tobey.  Then I'm racing over to the chute to catch people for a few hours.  Then I'm racing racing around the finish area throwing more empties.

THEN...... I"M RACING BACK TO THE CONDO TO HIT ON THE KIDS NANNY!!!!!!  i'll be havin' fun.  ;-)

GOOD LUCK RACING PEEPS!!!!  TRAVEL SAFE!!!!   i'm not too excited or anything.

2011-11-02 11:14 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

My tidbits for the IM boys....

Enjoy the week !! Take in the sights today, but shut it down tomorrow. I just realized you were racing Saturday. Thursday can be your check-check-double check day, but Friday get that bike into transition and throw your feet up for the day. It's hard when you are at a destination race. But remember Saturday is what you have trained for for SO LONG. Don't try to be tough and be on your feet all day to appease your families.

Race Day- Enjoy the swim. take the bike easy. Honestly, just pedal. It's such a long day. You want to get off the bike 'fresh', not dreading going out for 26.2 miles.

I love the fact that you guys are all emotional today.  I remember the feeling. It's been a long road to get here boys.

Go get it!!

Edited by TrevorC 2011-11-02 11:18 AM

2011-11-02 11:42 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon

Go Chris, William, and Barry! Soak it all in!!! I'm so excited for you all, and for John and Linda who get to be there to watch it all in person! I LOVE Ironman weekends, and it is that much cooler when our peeps are racing!

Have a great race, Julia! That PR is yours!!!

Hope you get to race Tony!

I'll be checking in after running the Antelope Island 50k Saturday to check everyone's splits and start stalking We're driving to Utah tomorrow. Then Sunday, after the 50k, we're driving to Colorado to run the Rim Rock Marathon the following Saturday. Then, it's taper time!

2011-11-02 12:08 PM
in reply to: #3748282

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Plainsman AU - 2011-11-02 4:55 AM

ME!

Lets do this!

October's totals:

GOOD LUCK!!! SHE WILL BE THERE WITH YOU!!! She is going to be your DRIVE through the marathon!!!!!!!! !!!!!

2011-11-02 12:12 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
2011-11-02 12:27 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

These photos reminded me of certain MG members.  Any guesses who?

(garmin push pause.JPG)

(runners high.JPG)

(there is no app.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
garmin push pause.JPG (29KB - 7 downloads)
runners high.JPG (19KB - 7 downloads)
there is no app.JPG (57KB - 8 downloads)
2011-11-02 12:28 PM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

I am racing Cross again this Sat AM, but really want to wish GODSPEED to all our IM FL Peeps this weekend, those racing, those volunteering, those cheering, those doing beer hand-ups (to much time at the Cross races this fall) and those waiting in Line on Sunday to sign their lives away for next year!   

A special Ironman........  REPRESENT!!!

I have not picked my "A" race for 2012 as I have been asked to ride with the Team WI Cycling Road and Cross teams for next year (really excited about this as I have been working on it for some time) and don't know for sure what racing commitments that is going to bring for the summer months.  I know that it rules out IM Racine 70.3 because of the dates of the Tour of Americas Dairyland.  So, I am currently thinking that the new REV3 race in the Dells may be the new "A" race.   

Are there still any MG discussions on a spring race somewhere warm??? 

Edited by badgerintx 2011-11-02 12:34 PM

2011-11-02 12:47 PM
in reply to: #3748865

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2011-11-02 11:09 AM

I AM!!!!!   I'm racing all over PCB on Saturday throwing empty beer cans at Barry, Chris & Tobey.  Then I'm racing over to the chute to catch people for a few hours.  Then I'm racing racing around the finish area throwing more empties.

THEN...... I"M RACING BACK TO THE CONDO TO HIT ON THE KIDS NANNY!!!!!!  i'll be havin' fun.  ;-)

I get it!  I wonder if anyone else does....I hope at least one other person can read between the lines!

2011-11-02 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3748952

User image

RoniS - 2011-11-02 12:42 PM

Go Chris, William, and Barry! Soak it all in!!! I'm so excited for you all, and for John and Linda who get to be there to watch it all in person! I LOVE Ironman weekends, and it is that much cooler when our peeps are racing!

Have a great race, Julia! That PR is yours!!!

Hope you get to race Tony!

I'll be checking in after running the Antelope Island 50k Saturday to check everyone's splits and start stalking We're driving to Utah tomorrow. Then Sunday, after the 50k, we're driving to Colorado to run the Rim Rock Marathon the following Saturday. Then, it's taper time!

Roni, you are living the life! Wow! Have a great trip and enjoy the running!

2011-11-02 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3749104

User image

Champion
marietta
badgerintx - 2011-11-02 1:28 PM

Are there still any MG discussions on a spring race somewhere warm??? 

70.3 nola!

after katrina we had..

2011-11-02 2:37 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
SSMinnow - 2011-11-02 4:14 AM

Barry, William and Chris, go get 'em!!!!  Ironman week is so special, bask in your fitness and remember all of the hard work that got you to the line.  Once that horn goes off, your body will do what it is supposed to do!!! 

There may be crazy things that happen along the course of the day.  Adapt, improvise and overcome...you will make it to the finish line and it will be a beautiful feeling.  I am getting chills just thinking about it! 

John and Linda, have a blast out there and set your alarm clock for Sunday morning sign ups! 

Julia, Tony, Dino, Roni, anyone I missed, so sorry...and any other spontaneous racers out there, have a terrific weekend! 

I have officially kicked off my training for the Goofy challenge with a great run today and felt no pain other than my lungs screaming for oxygen. 

In terms of "A" race, I have decided to have a super secret phantom A race this year...we'll see how that goes. 

2011-11-02 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3749156

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
SSMinnow - 2011-11-02 1:47 PM

I get it!  I wonder if anyone else does....I hope at least one other person can read between the lines!

You think you get it and no one else does...HA!

Since I haven't been around in a week or so - awesome work by all of last week's racers.  Hard to believe it was the end of October and we had so many people racing.  Awesome job!!

I hope all of the IM peeps have swift strokes, even power and soft strides this weekend.  The culmination of all of your hard work - GOOD LUCK!!!

No racing for me.  Trying to dig out from the hole a crazy work travel schedule and too many extracurricular activities have left me in.  Working around the house and spending some QT with the family.  .

Trying to get my mojo back...it seems to have left the building (but didn't take my appetite with it - lethal combination!!!)

Good luck racers!!!

2011-11-02 3:49 PM
in reply to: #3749156

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
SSMinnow - 2011-11-02 12:47 PM

Uh, this MG is filled with pervs...  I think we all get it... 

2011-11-02 3:54 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

No racing for me...  just looking for a couple of solid w/o's over the weekend... 

"A" race for '12....  hmmmm.....  I'll decide in mid December.... I may have two - one spring and one fall... distances tbd...

2011-11-02 6:50 PM
in reply to: #3750168

User image

Champion
kt65 - 2011-11-02 2:37 PM
SSMinnow - 2011-11-02 4:14 AM

Barry, William and Chris, go get 'em!!!!  Ironman week is so special, bask in your fitness and remember all of the hard work that got you to the line.  Once that horn goes off, your body will do what it is supposed to do!!! 

There may be crazy things that happen along the course of the day.  Adapt, improvise and overcome...you will make it to the finish line and it will be a beautiful feeling.  I am getting chills just thinking about it! 

John and Linda, have a blast out there and set your alarm clock for Sunday morning sign ups! 

Julia, Tony, Dino, Roni, anyone I missed, so sorry...and any other spontaneous racers out there, have a terrific weekend! 

I have officially kicked off my training for the Goofy challenge with a great run today and felt no pain other than my lungs screaming for oxygen. 

In terms of "A" race, I have decided to have a super secret phantom A race this year...we'll see how that goes. 

Such a tease!

I actually set the majority of my race calendar today.  No secret what my AAA race is--MOO III!  I won't be doing any early Spring tris this year.  How many 52' swims can one girl be expected to handle?

Edited by SSMinnow 2011-11-02 6:51 PM
2011-11-02 7:09 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC

Nothing this weekend.  As far as 2012, if I don't get pregnant, I think I am going to shoot for a 50 miler in October.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298