General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George - Utah : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2010-04-10 2:02 PM
in reply to: #2782196

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
Subject: RE: Ironman St. George - Utah : Official Thread
gcirongirl - 2010-04-10 11:31 AM I need some advice. I have been struggling with my training. In November, I sprained my left ankle. I think that I started back training too soon because I almost immediately ended up with peroneal tendonitis in my right ankle in January. That has healed and I was nervous about my low training volume and so was going to hit things pretty hard in March and the first part of April and had managed to get to about 60 miles on the bike and 14 miles on the run when 10 days ago I fell down the stairs and re-sprained my left ankle. The doctor says that my ankle will likely be almost 100% by race day. If I had been at full training, I don't think that this would be a problem. I would just count it as an extra long taper and struggle through the race. So, here's the question. Do I still race? I have been gearing upfor this since I signed up the day that registration opened. Everything has been focused on May 1, 2010. Do you think that with this low amount of training, I could still get through this race? Maybe I should just do a half later in the summer? Thoughts? I am really agonizing over this. I have NEVER quit a race.

What is the harm in giving it a go?  Unless you are still in a lot of pain, go out there, give it all you have that day!  If you make it FANTASTIC!  If not, at least you would know.  I do not think I could handle the 'what-ifs' of not at least trying.  Sorry about your injury.   

2010-04-10 2:17 PM

User image

Lost Wages Nevada
gcirongirl - 2010-04-10 10:31 AM I need some advice. I have been struggling with my training. In November, I sprained my left ankle. I think that I started back training too soon because I almost immediately ended up with peroneal tendonitis in my right ankle in January. That has healed and I was nervous about my low training volume and so was going to hit things pretty hard in March and the first part of April and had managed to get to about 60 miles on the bike and 14 miles on the run when 10 days ago I fell down the stairs and re-sprained my left ankle. The doctor says that my ankle will likely be almost 100% by race day. If I had been at full training, I don't think that this would be a problem. I would just count it as an extra long taper and struggle through the race. So, here's the question. Do I still race? I have been gearing upfor this since I signed up the day that registration opened. Everything has been focused on May 1, 2010. Do you think that with this low amount of training, I could still get through this race? Maybe I should just do a half later in the summer? Thoughts? I am really agonizing over this. I have NEVER quit a race.

My first thought was "go for it!" but in thinking about it some more I wonder a few things;
1. Have you done a IM before?
2. Is 60 miles your longest ride? 14 miles longest run?
3. How important is THIS race to you?

If this is your first IM and these are your longest distances then I would lean towards putting your efforts into another day. You have already come back once to soon and re-injured yourself. On the other hand if you have a history of IM's and a strong base then you know what the day has in store and are a way better judge then I of whether or not to push yourself. 
Know that regardless of your decision no one will think less of you. Getting to the starting line healthy of an IM is the hardest part of the race, and you should be very proud of the hard work and determination you have put into reach this point, there will be other days and other races. Hang in there and try to look at the big picture and not just the short term.
I personally hope to see you on race day but will defiantly understand if you miss this one. Good luck either way!!! 
2010-04-10 2:22 PM
in reply to: #2223820

User image

Lost Wages Nevada
In regards to the water temp, i have been swimming in lake Mead for the last month. The water temp started at 47 and this weekend was up to 55!! I will say that at 47 I truly had trouble catching my breath but now at 55 it is great. The first couple of minutes are eye opening but within a few strokes all is good. I don't use booties and typically only one basic swim cap. I do wear ear plugs but only because getting the water in my ears had led to minor dizziness in the past.
Im sure that by the time we kick off the race and the water temp is in the 60's all will be fine. My only regret is that we don't finish the run there, so we could soak the legs after the long days beating... 
2010-04-10 8:08 PM
in reply to: #2782289

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
VegasJason - 2010-04-10 12:17 PM

My first thought was "go for it!" but in thinking about it some more I wonder a few things;
1. Have you done a IM before?

I think the "gciron" in "gcirongirl" is because she finished the Grand Columbian full iron tri in 2007 (see her race log). 

Anyhoo...

Kelly:  FWIW (which is probably not a lot), I think you should give it a 'go'...I'd have to agree with the other poster who said you'd be left with a big "I wonder if..." if you DNS.  I considered a DNS for Vineman last summer with my trashed hamstring (couldn't run two miles four days before the race)...then almost took a DNF after 2/3 of the run...but ended up finishing.  Lots and lots of walking and pain, but got it done.  It really does come down to why you want to do the race:  Just to finish...to improve on previous finish...or whatever.  Your goals and how important they are to you will have to decide this for you.  Good luck!
2010-04-10 8:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Salt Lake City, UT
gcirongirl - 2010-04-10 11:31 AM I need some advice. I have been struggling with my training. In November, I sprained my left ankle. I think that I started back training too soon because I almost immediately ended up with peroneal tendonitis in my right ankle in January. That has healed and I was nervous about my low training volume and so was going to hit things pretty hard in March and the first part of April and had managed to get to about 60 miles on the bike and 14 miles on the run when 10 days ago I fell down the stairs and re-sprained my left ankle. The doctor says that my ankle will likely be almost 100% by race day. If I had been at full training, I don't think that this would be a problem. I would just count it as an extra long taper and struggle through the race. So, here's the question. Do I still race? I have been gearing upfor this since I signed up the day that registration opened. Everything has been focused on May 1, 2010. Do you think that with this low amount of training, I could still get through this race? Maybe I should just do a half later in the summer? Thoughts? I am really agonizing over this. I have NEVER quit a race.

My vote is give it a go, if you are close to 100% on race day.  I know you have one IM under your belt, so you know what's coming.  Just race smart.  Like someone said, I'd hate to live with the regret of 'what if'...  Good luck.

2010-04-10 8:15 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
...And...taper on!  (Finally!)

Last long ride in the books:  113 miles today.  "Dress rehearsal" for the IM.  Opted not to torture myself with a lot of climbing today, but made an effort to start around the time I anticipate leaving T1, wear what I figure I'm likely to be wearing, and work on dialing in the nutrition.

First two objectives...met.  Nutrition?  Not so good.  First time ever, I had my nutrition go south (at about 102 miles) and ended up a bit dehydrated.  I made a bit of an adjustment to calorie count vs. last week (which went fine), so I think I'm going to go back to that strategy.

2010-04-10 8:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern California
Just need to get my last long swim in tommorow and then full taper for me. Got my last long bike in today, but it was a bit shorter than planned. Got a late start in the day and did some extra climbing in the first half and started getting cold. Felt fresh after the ride and could have done another 30. 93 miles with around 4500' of climbing and some moderate winds, not too bad.

Used bottled gatorade instead of my usual self-mixed. I am going to do this from here on. Not sure I can stick to the 2 flavors though, I need some variety. Also, I have used PowerBars exclusively in training, can't wait until I can eat something else when on a bike. Oh, that doesnt include gels, I had a variety of those.
2010-04-10 8:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Jordan UT
Ok. I just got back from a solid 50 miler with some serious hills in it. My ankle is fine. Maybe if I just replace all of the running in my plan with biking? I don't suppose that would hurt me any.

Yes, I've done one iron before. It's been a while, but I think that I am actually in better shape now than I was then.

Thanks for the advice. I'll see you all at the starting line. Hopefully, I'll see you at the finish as well!
2010-04-10 9:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
According to the Athlete Guide, there is no chicken broth listed for the run aid stations. All of my experienced IM friends have told me that stuff is like the nectar of the Gods at mile 20, and has been offered at every IM they have done (3 other Ford races). So what gives? Maybe they forgot to officially list it. But I've been training with it lately, and my stomach is used to it.

2010-04-10 11:55 PM
in reply to: #2782855

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
kuotaguy - 2010-04-10 7:28 PM

According to the Athlete Guide, there is no chicken broth listed for the run aid stations. All of my experienced IM friends have told me that stuff is like the nectar of the Gods at mile 20, and has been offered at every IM they have done (3 other Ford races). So what gives? Maybe they forgot to officially list it. But I've been training with it lately, and my stomach is used to it.

Right. I think if they didn't list it, they probably won't have it. But maybe we'll get lucky.

This is why I've been making a stink about no Gatorade Endurance (400mg sodium/bottle) as well. Ran into this at IM Cozumel (the other newest Ford race), that there was virtually no salty foods on the course. If they run out of pretzels, you won't have much else to choose from. So better bring your own salts. (I'm sure most people do -- I tend to prefer feeding off of salty foods that I"m not likely to carry.)

At Cozumel I finally found out that the nasty PowerGels that no one wants actually have a lot of salt, and made use of that. They had salty peanuts on the course, which disappeared really fast, because that was the only salty food there.

Edited by robin314159 2010-04-11 12:03 AM
2010-04-11 4:04 AM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA

Edited by furiousferret 2010-04-11 4:06 AM

2010-04-11 7:59 AM
in reply to: #2781709

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO

You don't need them.  I race there this time of the year all the time and it's not bad at all.
I hope like heck the water temperature gets up to at least 55 degrees for the race. I was talking to one of the pros (he shall remain nameless but he helped with the original race announcement and now lives in Austin) and he says there is a POSSIBLITY they'd consider cancelling the swim if the water does not get above 55. At that temperature if you're in the water longer than 1:20 it's very possible for hypothermia to set in. I know they've done early races in St George in the past and I would have to believe Escape from Alcatraz also has very cold water temps so I just hope the water warms up a little. In any case, nothing we can do to control it. Water will be cold for everyone.

Today's posted water temp: 55 degrees. http://stateparks.utah.gov/boating/conditions/> 
We should be good to go if current weather holds (no significant rain, no extended cold temps).  I wear silicone ear plugs for every swim I do and they work great.  Speedo and TYR sell the same kind.  I also picked up these softer ones from the pharmacy at SuperTarget. They actually stay in a little better, although I've only ever had one of the other type fall out.

Edited by garryowen96 2010-04-11 8:01 AM
2010-04-11 5:42 PM
in reply to: #2783090

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Last long run in the books.

Not sure if it was the goal of the plan, but I have really had some great last long workouts.  Like I have really come to form and peaked.  Maybe these plans do work!  Now just to rest/repair/strengthen up these last 3 weeks.

I thought about getting out and doing some MTB riding and trail running, but twisted my ankle today a bit doing that.  Something tells me I should probably stay on the road for the next 3 weeks.  Don't need to take any injury chances.

About the lake temp?  I really don't think it's going to be an issue.  I'm deciding if I want to race "Rage" there in a couple weeks.  Sort of a "tune up" olympic.

2010-04-12 12:49 AM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Any more word on pros racing?  Not much on the Internet rumor mill:  I see Chris McDonald, Luke McKenzie, Gina Crawford and Michael Lovato mentioned (Crawford and Lovato have it on their websites).

Edited by tcovert 2010-04-12 12:49 AM
2010-04-12 1:03 AM
in reply to: #2783785

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
Kido - 2010-04-11 3:42 PM

Not sure if it was the goal of the plan, but I have really had some great last long workouts.  Like I have really come to form and peaked.  Maybe these plans do work!  Now just to rest/repair/strengthen up these last 3 weeks.

I thought about getting out and doing some MTB riding and trail running, but twisted my ankle today a bit doing that.  Something tells me I should probably stay on the road for the next 3 weeks.  Don't need to take any injury chances.

About the lake temp?  I really don't think it's going to be an issue.  I'm deciding if I want to race "Rage" there in a couple weeks.  Sort of a "tune up" olympic.

Just stick to the road.  I love trail running and mtb'ing but they are the two most injury susceptable sports out there.  I'd hate to see anyone get hurt this close to the race day. 
2010-04-12 9:00 AM
in reply to: #2784395

User image

Mesa
tcovert - 2010-04-11 10:49 PM

Any more word on pros racing?  Not much on the Internet rumor mill:  I see Chris McDonald, Luke McKenzie, Gina Crawford and Michael Lovato mentioned (Crawford and Lovato have it on their websites).

I can tell you that my friend Josef Major is racing.

2010-04-12 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2784398

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
furiousferret - 2010-04-11 11:03 PM

Just stick to the road.  I love trail running and mtb'ing but they are the two most injury susceptable sports out there.  I'd hate to see anyone get hurt this close to the race day. 

Yeah...this is the time I want to wrap myself in bubble wrap:  Too close to the race to heal most serious injuries.  Of course you can't protect yourself from everything--I got hurt 20 days before my 1st IM when I caught my toe in the wet sand at the waterline on the beach while trotting back to my starting point from an ocean swim and popped my hammie trying to avoid a faceplant.  Freak injury, but that didn't keep it from ruining my race.  Bubble wrap, I tell ya...that's the ticket...
2010-04-12 10:33 AM
in reply to: #2785119

User image

Sensei
Sin City
tcovert - 2010-04-12 8:30 AM
furiousferret - 2010-04-11 11:03 PM

Yeah...this is the time I want to wrap myself in bubble wrap:  Too close to the race to heal most serious injuries.  Of course you can't protect yourself from everything--I got hurt 20 days before my 1st IM when I caught my toe in the wet sand at the waterline on the beach while trotting back to my starting point from an ocean swim and popped my hammie trying to avoid a faceplant.  Freak injury, but that didn't keep it from ruining my race.  Bubble wrap, I tell ya...that's the ticket...

A coworker walked into my office this morning sniffling and all congested.  I was like "WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!  Are you sick or is that alergies???"  Alergies he said.  I told him to get out anyway...
2010-04-12 11:54 AM
in reply to: #2784816

User image

New user

Jocelyn Wong is also on the list. If Luke McKenzie is going for some reason he is not on the list. The rest are, though.

http://www.ironmanusa.com/participants/lists/10stg.html
2010-04-12 12:11 PM

User image

New user

Anybody else watching this site? I don't know how often it is updated. It says the water temp is 55 at Sand Hollow.

http://stateparks.utah.gov/boating/conditions

I have did an HIM distance race in 53 degree water (Vikingman). It was COLD! I would not be looking forward to doing that again. Once the water temp hits 60 anything is doable.
2010-04-12 12:55 PM
in reply to: #2785530

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
rustyspoone - 2010-04-12 10:11 AM Anybody else watching this site? I don't know how often it is updated. It says the water temp is 55 at Sand Hollow.

http://stateparks.utah.gov/boating/conditions

I have did an HIM distance race in 53 degree water (Vikingman). It was COLD! I would not be looking forward to doing that again. Once the water temp hits 60 anything is doable.

Every degree counts at this point...I'm hoping for 60, but anything over 56 will be an improvement over my last tri.

One thing I've started planning on is not wearing tri top under wetsuit, but doing a quick dry of torso in T1 and pulling on a sleeveless jersey and arm warmers, rather than dealing with wet fabric on a hypothermic body heading out on the bike.  Normally wouldn't change in T1, but I have a pretty good idea after that last tri at Thanksgiving how I'm going to be feeling after 1:10-1:15 in water in the 50s and probably will plan for that.

2010-04-12 1:00 PM

User image

Master
South of SLC
The last tri I did at Sand Hollow the water was 58 degrees. I was planning on the swim sans jersey and take the extra three seconds it will require to dry off and get warm. I think my body will thank me for it later.

Mike
2010-04-12 1:05 PM

User image

Mesa
I am just going to pee a lot. LOL
2010-04-12 1:13 PM

Was fortunate to be able to swim twice in Sand Hollow this weekend, as well as bike the course and run about 13 miles on the run course.

Swim: Very cold water right now, was about 54 on Friday and 54.1 on Saturday! Really important to get in the water ahead of time (obviously) and acclimate to it. Wore a thick neoprene cap which really helped. Lots of wind on the Saturday swim (4pm) which made sighting and breathing a bit hard. Had to breathe on my left side a lot, which isn't natural for me, but worked. Am hoping the winds won't pick up early in the morning for our start...

Bike: lots of head wind out of Veyo for the last 17 miles. Really sucked the energy and speed out of me. Saw lots of others riding the course, including a guy walking up the steepest hill. Really, really important there to keep the HR down there and not push it. Overall I felt great on the bike. Took me about 1:11 to get to the first loop from Sand Hollow, then did the 1st loop in about 2:40 or so. Not bad for me, given the massive headwind I got to fight for the last hour or so...The roads are a bit rough and lots of gravel on the shoulder out of Hurricane; saw several guys with flats.

Run: I'm sure others have mentioned that there are literally no flats on this course, but it bears repeating. It's either up or down, my friends. I am not a great runner, but even if I were, I'd plan on walking some of the larger hills. It was hot (80 degrees) when I was running after my bike on Saturday, and I could tell I wasn't hydrated enough. Tough little run for me, which was an eye-opener. Still, this is something I'll get through...

2010-04-12 1:17 PM

New user

Las Vegas
FWIW regarding no Gatorade Endurance and no Chicken Broth on the course, I was looking forward to consuming both. However, I recommend using electrolyte replenishment capsules. I use Hammer Nutrition brand Endurolytes. They contain sodium, calcium, magnesium and potassium. I use them for training and racing and so do a number of my friends. I take two capsules every 45 - 60 minutes, more depending on the heat. As the race time accumulates you don't have to worry about your sport drink consumption and you can stick to mostly water. If you've never tried it you still have more than two weeks to get accostomed to using them. They are available through Hammer (product description and link below) and at the Bike Shop (Wigwam and Eastern) in Las Vegas. I've been using these successfuly for three to four years.
Endurolytes - Electrolyte Supplement

PRODUCT DETAIL

Electrolyte replacement during exercise can vary as much as tenfold between two athletes. No other area of endurance nutrition or supplementation calls for such individualized dosing. And perhaps no other area of fueling can drop you out of the competition as quickly as electrolyte depletion or overdose. This is a critically important area where correct dosing is a must; you simply mustn't consider getting electrolytes out of a premixed drink. The risk of too much fluid/too few electrolytes is high, which means bad news for your stomach, your muscles, and your performance.

You want a product that allows effective electrolyte replenishment under any weather condition, any length of exercise, and any intensity of exercise. Endurolytes, unlike any other pill, tablet, or premixed drink, is that product. Also, don't make the mistake of thinking that electrolytes = sodium. Sodium alone cannot and will not effectively replenish electrolyte needs and may cause more problems than it resolves. With Endurolytes you're assured of getting all the right minerals in exactly the right balance. Endurolytes comes in conveniently dosed capsules or powder form. You can swallow them, or open them and mix your own amount into your water bottle, whichever is most convenient for you.

When you don't feel like taking capsules, Endurolytes Powder is the answer. Nearly identical to the Endurolytes encapsulated formula, Endurolytes Powder comes "in bulk" with a scoop (one level scoop is equal to one Endurolyte capsule), allowing you to mix the powder directly into your water bottle. We've added 50 mg of the amino acid Glycine, which helps neutralize the naturally salty to bitter taste of the electrolytic minerals. There are 150 scoops/servings per container.

http://www.hammernutrition.com/products/endurolytes.elt.html

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George - Utah : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 43