General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 148

2012-01-23 12:11 PM
in reply to: #4006040

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread

klassman - 2012-01-23 11:24 AM

I dropped my bike today on a batch of ice going over a bridge.  Not a big deal as far as the bike goes -- it is my commuter, a Marin hybrid, and I was only going about 5 mph -- but I slid on my left hip for a yard or so and smacked my head into a concrete wall.  No injuries that I'm aware of yet.

But, damn.  Now I need a new helmet.

Safe training to all of you if you have tough weather.  Don't do what I did!

Glad you are OK. Be careful with ice!!

Edited by dtoce 2012-01-23 12:14 PM

2012-01-23 12:30 PM
in reply to: #4006058

User image

dtoce - 2012-01-23 1:11 PM

klassman - 2012-01-23 11:24 AM

I dropped my bike today on a batch of ice going over a bridge.  Not a big deal as far as the bike goes -- it is my commuter, a Marin hybrid, and I was only going about 5 mph -- but I slid on my left hip for a yard or so and smacked my head into a concrete wall.  No injuries that I'm aware of yet.

But, damn.  Now I need a new helmet.

Safe training to all of you if you have tough weather.  Don't do what I did!

Glad you are OK. Be careful with ice!!

X10000!! 

Perhaps you should invest in one of these two tires -

2012-01-23 12:39 PM
in reply to: #4006040

User image

dtoce - 2012-01-23 1:06 PM
Dream Chaser - 2012-01-23 11:49 AM

Again, studies prove it's easier to add Endurance; harder to add Strength and Power.  From everything I've read an been taught it's more efficient to first have Speed and then stretch that Speed into Endurance.  It's much less efficent to have Endurance and then try to add Speed afterwards.  

Very well said, DC!

I come from a running background and would take one minor exception to the above---and change 'speed' to 'strength'. It is always the rule to base build first-working slowly on endurance, with low intensity training-not long distances just lots of short and medium distances and then extend into longer distances.                                                                                                     (Long distance tri-training has a progression ofdistance throughout the base and build phases. The peaking workouts prove to the athlete that they are ready for race day at the distances they need.)

Power (like hill training in running) and short/medium intervals with big gears on the bike is speedwork in disguise but it is not true speed-it is strength training. Reps and intervals in running (and strides) and high cadence interval spins in biking are true 'speedwork.

Lydiard always went from base to hills/strength (power) in running/training and it makes sense for bike training. Base>Strength-Power/Speed(Sharpening)/Peak/Race

Here's a bunch of lessons I've learned from running over the past decade...for anyone interested

It's a bit old (I posted this 3 or 4 years ago at cool running) but the stuff in there is still pertinent.

http://coolrunningboomers.pbworks.com/w/page/16477606/Dale

Yeah, I knew when I wrote "speed" I shouldn't have used that word. 

Strictly for the purpose of discussing Triathlon Long Course, I don't like to talk about Running and Cycling together.  And I'll explain why.  For me, I've found Triathlon Running and Stand-Alone Running are two different species.  Because the risk of injury is MUCH higher with Running, I think low intensity, frequent short-runs are ideal in the wintertime.  For long course triathlon purposes, I think interval-work, strides and tempo-work should be carefully and slowly added to running later than sooner in a long course endurance training program. 

2012-01-23 1:10 PM
in reply to: #4006135

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Dream Chaser - 2012-01-23 12:39 PM [

Yeah, I knew when I wrote "speed" I shouldn't have used that word. 

Strictly for the purpose of discussing Triathlon Long Course, I don't like to talk about Running and Cycling together.  And I'll explain why.  For me, I've found Triathlon Running and Stand-Alone Running are two different species.  Because the risk of injury is MUCH higher with Running, I think low intensity, frequent short-runs are ideal in the wintertime.  For long course triathlon purposes, I think interval-work, strides and tempo-work should be carefully and slowly added to running later than sooner in a long course endurance training program. 

I agree for the most part but I do strides all year long. Very short turnover helps me keep my running form when I'm doing winter LR's. I do the strides/reps on my midweek run. Now that I'm in tri-training, I still do some very short intervals, but I'm doing short hill intervals this winter-for power. No speed...yet.

Tempo training for running does not beat you up and should be the fastest interval running for much of the year. (*until v02max time during peak/sharpening). And as you said, it is much later in the training cycyle.

I still believe for marathoning and long course tri's that doing lots of medLR of 10-16 miles are the most bang for the buck. You'd better have a solid base to be able to do 90 minutes once/week for months on end. Of course, lots of 5-8 milers will get the mileage up and help a lot. Injury risk goes way up with increased mileage.

This past year was my lowest running mileage. I did not even break 1000 miles-for the first time in 10 yrs! My peak was about 3000 in my mid 40's. Not surprisingy, as I've cut the mileage over the last year, I've had fewer injuries-despite exercising for about the same number of hours-just some of it is now biking and swimming-much lower impact. Here's to staying injury free to all of us.

---------------------------

Love this thread and the feedback. I've learned so much and there is so much more to absorb!

Edited by dtoce 2012-01-23 1:13 PM
2012-01-23 6:58 PM
in reply to: #3637183

User image

Huntley, IL

To add the fatigue theme--my husband and I are training for the IM together and following Fink's intermediate plan. We are 28 years old and went to bed at 7:30 pm last Friday. Pretty lame, eh? Of course we had to get up at 5 am to bike, but none the less, this training has hit hard. But I like it!

My trainer went bust as well--I have a cycleops fluid 2 trainer, about 1 year old, and it started making deafening clicking and popping noises on my 1:45 ride Saturday. So that is being sent in for repair. Anyone else have a problem with this trainer?

The next month is crazy for us as we have lots of job related and family obligations that will definitely interfere with training, especially on weekends. It's going to be hard to get in all the planned training for those weeks--how imperative is it during the "base phase" to make every workout? If we miss a long run/bike here or there is that okay? Or should we try to add it onto the week/somewhere else? I just worry about doing too much on a certain day and getting too fatigued. Any suggestions from those with experience?

Thanks!

2012-01-23 7:30 PM

User image

Regular
Ballston Spa

Hi all, I wanted to introduce myself. I am king of the Clydedales I am droping from 301lbs on 1/1/12 and working like hell to prepare for IMLP. Please make sure to say a kind word as you pass me by on your second leg of the bike.  I'll be the guy huffing and puffing up the hills on his totally awesome Specialized Secteur!

@klassman- glad to hear your ok from your spill. I can't believe your out on the roads. I'm sticking to the computrainer until the weather improves.

To everyone else, thanks for talking and sharing knowledge. I have only been lurking here for 2 weeks and have so much to learn.

2012-01-23 8:08 PM
in reply to: #4007036

User image

dxc0162 - 2012-01-23 8:30 PM

Hi all, I wanted to introduce myself. I am king of the Clydedales I am droping from 301lbs on 1/1/12 and working like hell to prepare for IMLP. Please make sure to say a kind word as you pass me by on your second leg of the bike.  I'll be the guy huffing and puffing up the hills on his totally awesome Specialized Secteur!

@klassman- glad to hear your ok from your spill. I can't believe your out on the roads. I'm sticking to the computrainer until the weather improves.

To everyone else, thanks for talking and sharing knowledge. I have only been lurking here for 2 weeks and have so much to learn.

Welcome Doug

2012-01-23 8:18 PM
in reply to: #4006984

User image

asock325 - 2012-01-23 7:58 PM

To add the fatigue theme--my husband and I are training for the IM together and following Fink's intermediate plan. We are 28 years old and went to bed at 7:30 pm last Friday. Pretty lame, eh? Of course we had to get up at 5 am to bike, but none the less, this training has hit hard. But I like it!

My trainer went bust as well--I have a cycleops fluid 2 trainer, about 1 year old, and it started making deafening clicking and popping noises on my 1:45 ride Saturday. So that is being sent in for repair. Anyone else have a problem with this trainer?

The next month is crazy for us as we have lots of job related and family obligations that will definitely interfere with training, especially on weekends. It's going to be hard to get in all the planned training for those weeks--how imperative is it during the "base phase" to make every workout? If we miss a long run/bike here or there is that okay? Or should we try to add it onto the week/somewhere else? I just worry about doing too much on a certain day and getting too fatigued. Any suggestions from those with experience?

Thanks!

"They" say if you miss a workout, keep moving forward; don't try and make it up. 

The weekend Long Bike and Long Run is the meat and potatoes of the program.  However the mid-week workouts are very important for consistency, and the mid-week workouts really add up.  What I would do, is if I know I'm not going to be able to do a Long Run/Bike on the weekend, is I would try and replace a mid-week workout with the Long Run/Bike.  And I'd make sure I was mostly recovered from the prior weekend workout, so more-than-likely I'd shoot for a Wed-Thurs. 

I would say most people miss workouts here and there.  But just remember, it's the workouts now that prepare us for next month, and those for the month after that.  And all of those workouts prepare us for the HUGE Volume Months of May, June and the first few weeks in July.  Just like when you build a foundation (base) for a house.  You can have a few cracks and the house you build on it will be fine.  But you don't want more than a couple of cracks (aka: missed workouts)!!! 

Oh, and didn't you guys read the first-timer Ironman Handbook? 

The first rule of signing up for an Ironman is - tell EVERYONE you are doing an Ironman!!  The second rule of signing up for an Ironman is - tell everyone you YOU ARE TRAINING FOR AN IRONMAN!!!  It's the ultimate excuse to get out of lots of stuff.  And once you tell people the distances they make weird noises and just nod in a dazed and confused state. 

Ironman is the exact opposite of Fight Club   We're doing this for bragging rights, remember?

2012-01-23 8:28 PM
in reply to: #4006984

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
asock325 - 2012-01-23 7:58 PM

Thanks!

My policy ~ If I miss a workout, especially this early, I don't try to make it up.  I just let it go and move on to the next one.  This can be hard, very hard for us Tri geeks (lol).....however, I always found that if I try to make it up (which I used to do), things will snowball and get out of hand real quickly (other workouts suffer, etc.).  

IMO, it's just better to let it go and continue on with your training plan.  Of course, you don't want to miss too many workouts

Edited by marathongirl11 2012-01-23 8:31 PM
2012-01-23 8:35 PM
in reply to: #4007036

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
dxc0162 - 2012-01-23 8:30 PM

Wow ~ impressive!  Glad you are here.  Please keep us up to date on your progress

2012-01-23 8:45 PM

User image

2012-01-23 9:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond

Went to see the orthopedic doc today, she diagnosed my shoulder pain as shoulder impingement syndrome, so it sounds like I should be able to recover with some RICE and PT work.  She offered a steriod injections, but thought I should be able to recover without it.  I decided not to do the injection, but am second guessing myself now.  I go back to see her in 3 weeks for a check up.  I did some yoga tonight to stretch and no pain.  Still have pain when lifting arm, but not as bad as first week, so hopefully these are good signs of recovery.  I'll probably lay off the swimming for this week and she said lower body strength and core work was ok to do.

klassman - stay safe out there!

2012-01-23 9:32 PM
in reply to: #4007141

User image

Regular
Ballston Spa

Thanks, I will keep everyone up to date on this insane idea. I'm really glad to be a part of this awesome adventure.

2012-01-24 2:22 AM
in reply to: #4007235

User image

Veteran
25 weeks!
2012-01-24 7:43 AM
in reply to: #4007191

User image

mdfahy - 2012-01-23 10:04 PM

Went to see the orthopedic doc today, she diagnosed my shoulder pain as shoulder impingement syndrome, so it sounds like I should be able to recover with some RICE and PT work.  She offered a steriod injections, but thought I should be able to recover without it.  I decided not to do the injection, but am second guessing myself now.  I go back to see her in 3 weeks for a check up.  I did some yoga tonight to stretch and no pain.  Still have pain when lifting arm, but not as bad as first week, so hopefully these are good signs of recovery.  I'll probably lay off the swimming for this week and she said lower body strength and core work was ok to do.

I say good call on NOT getting the injection.  I've been told injections are only used if RICE doesn't work and if it starts to become chronic.  Plus, most injections should be ultrasound guided to make sure the steroid is injected into the appropriate area, otherwise they may not be injecting at the exact appropriate area.  And the purposed of the injection is to reduce swelling.  Try ibuprofen first. 

Speaking of yoga - Here's a funny yoga video.  And a funny cycling video.   

2012-01-24 9:02 AM

User image

Regular
Akron
I had cortisone in my knee years ago , 3 weeks before a marathon. I smashed my knee into the pavement after falling off a golf cart. (hahaha don't laugh). Anyhow, my knee felt great for the first couple of days and then I had reverse effects. It made my knee worse! I developed more of a limp and it was more painful. I didn't run for those 3 weeks and only cross trained. When I got into the marathon my knee started bothering me at mile 5, but after 5 extra strenght tylenol and the 12th mile it finally went away. Maybe the cortisone finally worked itself in??? Not sure, but I wouldn't do it again unless I was desperate. You have plenty of time to recoop! Good luck!

2012-01-24 9:35 AM
in reply to: #4007525

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Dream Chaser - 2012-01-24 7:43 AM
mdfahy - 2012-01-23 10:04 PM

I say good call on NOT getting the injection.  I've been told injections are only used if RICE doesn't work and if it starts to become chronic.  Plus, most injections should be ultrasound guided to make sure the steroid is injected into the appropriate area, otherwise they may not be injecting at the exact appropriate area.  And the purposed of the injection is to reduce swelling.  Try ibuprofen first. 

Speaking of yoga - Here's a funny yoga video.  And a funny cycling video.   

Thank you for all the feedback, it's very helpful getting everyone's perspective, advice and knowledge on this.

2012-01-24 12:49 PM

User image

Regular
Akron
Okay there was an earlier thread on here about the sportcount lap counter for your finger. I just got one in the mail last week. Last night I got ticked off because I couldn't get it to reset. It doesn't even turn on today.hahaha. At least they are sending me a new one! Hopefully I have better luck. for a minute there I thought it was me...Yell anyone else have these issues??? It's that dark cloud following me around!
2012-01-24 2:33 PM
in reply to: #4005996

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
Dream Chaser - 2012-01-23 12:49 PM

Again, studies prove it's easier to add Endurance; harder to add Strength and Power.  From everything I've read an been taught it's more efficient to first have Speed and then stretch that Speed into Endurance.  It's much less efficent to have Endurance and then try to add Speed afterwards.  

Bobby,

I will agree with almost everything you say with one caveat. Every plan I have seen already assumes you are coming in with a 5-6 hour week base for several weeks prior. Therefore, I think it depends on where you are starting. In other words, you need some base of endurance prior to adding strength prior to adding the high powered endurance. If you are just starting out and go right to strength, you run the risk of muscle fatigue long before you get any value out of the workout. If you are assuming everyone already has the endurance base coming in then your points are right on.
2012-01-24 3:50 PM
in reply to: #4008586

User image

Monty - 2012-01-24 3:33 PM
Dream Chaser - 2012-01-23 12:49 PM Again, studies prove it's easier to add Endurance; harder to add Strength and Power.  From everything I've read an been taught it's more efficient to first have Speed and then stretch that Speed into Endurance.  It's much less efficent to have Endurance and then try to add Speed afterwards.  

Bobby, I will agree with almost everything you say with one caveat. Every plan I have seen already assumes you are coming in with a 5-6 hour week base for several weeks prior. Therefore, I think it depends on where you are starting. In other words, you need some base of endurance prior to adding strength prior to adding the high powered endurance. If you are just starting out and go right to strength, you run the risk of muscle fatigue long before you get any value out of the workout. If you are assuming everyone already has the endurance base coming in then your points are right on.

Hmmmm... that's right.  There are 'those people' who jump from sprint to Ironman!!  I do assume that most people have done at least a couple of 70.3's and consistently train year-round. 

I'll also be the first to admit, anything I say can be 100% dead-wrong.   And some things that work for some athletes, don't work for others.  And regardless, what people should really be doing is following their plan or coaches workouts.    

But seriously Monty, could you imagine training for an Ironman with little to no cycling base already?!?!?! 

Edited by Dream Chaser 2012-01-24 3:52 PM
2012-01-24 4:01 PM
in reply to: #4008586

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Monty - 2012-01-24 2:33 PM
Dream Chaser - 2012-01-23 12:49 PM Again, studies prove it's easier to add Endurance; harder to add Strength and Power.  From everything I've read an been taught it's more efficient to first have Speed and then stretch that Speed into Endurance.  It's much less efficent to have Endurance and then try to add Speed afterwards.  

Bobby, I will agree with almost everything you say with one caveat. Every plan I have seen already assumes you are coming in with a 5-6 hour week base for several weeks prior. Therefore, I think it depends on where you are starting. In other words, you need some base of endurance prior to adding strength prior to adding the high powered endurance. If you are just starting out and go right to strength, you run the risk of muscle fatigue long before you get any value out of the workout. If you are assuming everyone already has the endurance base coming in then your points are right on.

I understand both of your points but what is Finks Intermediate program based on? I had a full year of training last year with my A race being a 1/2 IM, and I ran a 1/2 Mary in Oct before shutting it down for 3 weeks then started back up .

2012-01-24 4:30 PM
in reply to: #4008765

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Dream Chaser - 2012-01-24 4:50 PM
Monty - 2012-01-24 3:33 PM

Hmmmm... that's right.  There are 'those people' who jump from sprint to Ironman!!  I do assume that most people have done at least a couple of 70.3's and consistently train year-round. 

I'll also be the first to admit, anything I say can be 100% dead-wrong.   And some things that work for some athletes, don't work for others.  And regardless, what people should really be doing is following their plan or coaches workouts.    

But seriously Monty, could you imagine training for an Ironman with little to no cycling base already?!?!?! 

nah, I think both of you guys are right. And I thought the same thing as Monty - I know lots of folks that shut down in August/September (heck, i've done it plenty of times!) and don't really get back on the wagon until march. I agree that you should have a good endurance base before starting a power build. If I had not done the work in October - December (and I know everyone in this group did!) I probably would be trying to lay down a base right now.

2012-01-24 7:22 PM
in reply to: #4008765

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

Dream Chaser - 2012-01-24 3:50 PM 

There are 'those people' who jump from sprint to Ironman!!  I do assume that most people have done at least a couple of 70.3's and consistently train year-round. 

Hey, I resemble that remark! (I must be one of those people-sort of.)

I've never done a sprint triathalon.

Never done an Oly tri.

Technically not even completed a 1/2 IM (the 70.3 Poconos race cancelled the swim).

And I WILL complete IM at Lake Placid.

(At least I do train year round...ha)

Finally figured out how to upload my pic...

2012-01-24 7:29 PM
in reply to: #4009216

User image

dtoce - 2012-01-24 8:22 PM

Dream Chaser - 2012-01-24 3:50 PM 

There are 'those people' who jump from sprint to Ironman!!  I do assume that most people have done at least a couple of 70.3's and consistently train year-round. 

Hey, I resemble that remark! (I must be one of those people-sort of.)

I've never done a sprint triathalon.

Never done an Oly tri.

Technically not even completed a 1/2 IM (the 70.3 Poconos race cancelled the swim).

And I WILL complete IM at Lake Placid.

(At least I do train year round...ha)

Finally figured out how to upload my pic...

Hey, you're fine as you did a 69.1 duathlon last Fall. Good enough
2012-01-24 7:33 PM
in reply to: #4009231

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

Hey, you're fine as you did a 69.1 duathlon last Fall. Good enough

Thanks, Bobby.

I looked everywhere for a 69.1 shirt and couldn't find one. You'd think with the increasing number of times the 1/2 IM swims have been cancelled, they would at least make a shirt with this slightly less distance on it...

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 148