BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2014-02-17 5:22 AM
in reply to: Kris67

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: challenge update

Originally posted by Kris67 Worst week ever in training and dieting. Started with a family reunion we traveled to and from-too much eating. Then Monday flew to Indiana for grandmother's funeral. Wednesday, when I had planned to workout, a 1 mile treadmill run was very difficult, as I was sick. Flew home that night, spend thursday and friday in bed. Started to feel half of myself but had to work saturday. Today was the first day I was able to run and feel ok. So, 30min exercise and 6 pound weight gain (i hope it is mostly water) means I'm negative in the points. Better luck this next week

Sorry about your grandmother Kris.

We all have a bad week once in awhile.  You will get back to it this week.

2014-02-17 6:31 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by Kris67 Worst week ever in training and dieting. Started with a family reunion we traveled to and from-too much eating. Then Monday flew to Indiana for grandmother's funeral. Wednesday, when I had planned to workout, a 1 mile treadmill run was very difficult, as I was sick. Flew home that night, spend thursday and friday in bed. Started to feel half of myself but had to work saturday. Today was the first day I was able to run and feel ok. So, 30min exercise and 6 pound weight gain (i hope it is mostly water) means I'm negative in the points. Better luck this next week

Sorry about your grandmother Kris.

We all have a bad week once in awhile.  You will get back to it this week.

Darnit.. that silly underdog song has been running rampant through my poor head ever since you posted it!!!!

4.5 pounds lost this week (thank you cold)= 45 points

Training not so good (thank you cold)  167 minutes = 5.6 points

51.6 for the week. Now if I had just had some decent training it would have been a stellar week.

2014-02-17 7:36 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Expert
Missouri

1# gain = -10
175 min workout = +5.8
total of -4.2 for the week

I'm going to have to do something different - I keep losing and gaining the same 1-2 pounds.  I'm sure part of that is just normal fluctuations and my workouts haven't been the best the last couple of weeks either.  Hopefully the warmer weather this week (after the ice storm today) will help.

Janet

2014-02-17 7:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
So sorry for your news Judi and Kris. Will keep you and your families in our thoughts and prayers.

So last week was a mixed bag. Got the flu / cold of the season and lost some weight thanks to that (hopefully not temporary). But training suffered. Here are my numbers:

Weight loss 2lbs (up 2 lbs from Saturday when I was down 4) plus 5 point bonus = 25 points
Training 180 minutes = 6 points
For my typicalish 31 point total, just earned differently.

Let's see if I can hold the weight steady now that I'm feeling like eating again :-) Have to admit yesterday's weenie workout felt like I was completely starting over, so I'm not sure if I've totally kicked this germ yet. Pretty weak.

Warming trend coming in Virginia!

Stu

Edited by juneapple 2014-02-17 8:01 AM
2014-02-17 8:08 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Darnit.. that silly underdog song has been running rampant through my poor head ever since you posted it!!!!

4.5 pounds lost this week (thank you cold)= 45 points

Training not so good (thank you cold)  167 minutes = 5.6 points

51.6 for the week. Now if I had just had some decent training it would have been a stellar week.

Ooops, math mistake 45 for loss, 5 for no gain, 5.6 for training = 56.6

2014-02-17 8:10 AM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by juneapple So sorry for your news Judi and Kris. Will keep you and your families in our thoughts and prayers. So last week was a mixed bag. Got the flu / cold of the season and lost some weight thanks to that (hopefully not temporary). But training suffered. Here are my numbers: Weight loss 2lbs (up 2 lbs from Saturday when I was down 4) plus 5 point bonus = 25 points Training 180 minutes = 6 points For my typicalish 31 point total, just earned differently. Let's see if I can hold the weight steady now that I'm feeling like eating again :-) Have to admit yesterday's weenie workout felt like I was completely starting over, so I'm not sure if I've totally kicked this germ yet. Pretty weak. Warming trend coming in Virginia! Stu

Don't overdo it. That is what I did even though I know better. It put me back another week. A little more each day is a better way to heal up.

2014-02-17 8:40 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Challenge Update
Lost .5 this week thanks to the flu....down to 164.

Work outs were off as well for the same reason, down to 300 minutes.

So....10 points for maintenance and weight loss and 10 for workouts. Total +20.

Hopefully a better workout week this week.
2014-02-17 3:02 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Regular
Newport News
Subject: RE: Challenge Update
2lb weight loss this week 20 points
460 minutes exercise 15 points

Worked a water table at a race in Virginia Beach this weekend.

2014-02-17 9:26 PM
in reply to: tkatzhyman

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: The countdown has started....
Pretty scary....I'm now under 60 days to my very first HIM, the Florida 70.3. It looks like a pretty big race. I was checking out the competition and found 75 guys in my 55-59 YO age group. Seriously, 75! It is Florida, but how can there be that many crazy old guys?

Goals: Learn a lot about pacing and nutrition. Finish in top 10 AG.
2014-02-18 6:30 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Originally posted by lutzman

Pretty scary....I'm now under 60 days to my very first HIM, the Florida 70.3. It looks like a pretty big race. I was checking out the competition and found 75 guys in my 55-59 YO age group. Seriously, 75! It is Florida, but how can there be that many crazy old guys?

Goals: Learn a lot about pacing and nutrition. Finish in top 10 AG.

Oh, we're out there!

Should be a great race, Steve. I've heard good things about that course in FL - hope you get a good day. I think it used to be where they held the national championships, yes? Heat / humidity could be challenging that time of year in FL - be prepared for that. The thing that always catches me by surprise is how the level of athlete increases with each step up the distance ladder. Sure, you get a few folks who aren't prepared (that would have been my HIM), but generally, you're only going to get serious folks at the HIM distance and above. May be different with the Ironman races since they start at that level, but you sure can't fake your way through that distance.

This is your key training month - go get 'em fearless leader! We're all rooting for ya!

Stu
2014-02-18 7:01 AM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Sorry posting so late.  Will have to catch up on entire thread later.

1.5 lbs gained = -15 points

600 minutes trained = 20 points

Total points = 5

2014-02-18 8:53 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Regular
Subject: my tally
seven point last week. I too need to catch up later.
2014-02-18 7:05 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: Bad Week?
5 pts no weigth gain plus 240 workout minutes for 8 pts = 13 total points this week.

Did this week go by fast or what? I feel like I just posted the grid, crazy!

Edited by JREDFLY 2014-02-18 7:14 PM

(GGG 2-18-2014.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
GGG 2-18-2014.jpg (143KB - 3 downloads)
2014-02-19 8:39 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: So what's your first race/plan?
We're moving toward race season. As you know, I'm working toward an HIM in mid-April. What's first on your calendar? We've got a few early birds who have already hit an early season swim or run event.

Are you following a formal training plan or just going by feel/experience? Do you think your training is on target? If not, why not and how are you thinking about getting on track?

For me, I've found that an aging body doesn't do "catch up" very well. If I miss a workout or even have a bad week, I have to just let it go. I can't "double up" next week to make up for the misses. To do that only results in incremental fatigue the reduces workout quality or, worse, results in injury. That's just the way it is. Instead I have to focus on the day/week at hand and make those individual workouts as solid as possible.

I think the key for us gray guys/girls is just consistency over time; stumble but start again, fall but always get up.

Talk is cheap. We'll see if I can pull myself out of the office at lunch to get to the pool and then to the gym after work for a treadmill workout.

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2014-02-19 8:50 AM
2014-02-19 10:23 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: So what's your first race/plan?

We're moving toward race season. As you know, I'm working toward an HIM in mid-April. What's first on your calendar? We've got a few early birds who have already hit an early season swim or run event.

Are you following a formal training plan or just going by feel/experience? Do you think your training is on target? If not, why not and how are you thinking about getting on track?

In the on-going quest to make running my friend and because I am a huge racing fan, my first race is the Indy-500 Half-Marathon on 5/3/14 where the turn-around is a lap around Indianapolis Motor Speedway (home of the Indianapolis 500).  I am following a formal IM training plan targeted on IM Louisville 08/24/2014 with a run build incorporated that is specific to the May half-marathon.  Although, now that you can transfer an IM entry, I am thinking seriously about moving my Kona goal to 2015 and transferring my entry from Louisville to Lake Tahoe in September.  It will really depend upon how the half-mary goes in May.  I am not sure I am going to be ready for a serious Kona attempt in August so it doesn't really make sense to take a week-and-a-half away from the office and spend the money to go back to Louisville when I can go up to Lake Tahoe and back in a couple days.  Plus, the elevation and difficulty of the course in Lake Tahoe will be the "great equalizer" which might make for a realistic first Kona attempt for 2015 so not sure what I am doing later in the season yet.

If I move the IM to September in Tahoe than I will likely find a couple sprints and maybe an oly in mid/late summer - to be determined.

I think my training is on target for the most part and the hours are building as planned.  A little disappointed that my run pace is not improving as rapidly as I would like, but I guess it is still hard to teach an old dog new tricks.  I am also VERY disappointed that I have not gotten to ride the new bike I got at Christmas but the heavy run focus has left me dis-inclined to start riding a new tri-bike just yet.  I don't want to introduce a very aggressive aero position on top of an already sore back from all the running.  I figure there will be time enough after the HM.

I moved my training logs over to "that other site" at the suggestion (insistence would be a better word) of my coaches.  I also put a power meter on both my bikes so now my cycling coach can see my rides and objectively decide if his workouts caused enough pain.  My masochistic running coach is all too happy to have my logs on TP where he can obsess over how much discomfort he can cause me - that is actually disingenuous as my run coach does give me quite a lot of feedback based on my logs, even if he simultaneously revels in the pain he can inflict.

The one thing I am absolutely certain of is that Sundays are a scheduled rest day.  That hasn't changed, and it won't change!  It seems like, with every passing week and the increase in volume, Sunday becomes an almost palpable reward!

Edited by k9car363 2014-02-20 5:24 AM
2014-02-20 7:18 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Originally posted by lutzman We're moving toward race season. As you know, I'm working toward an HIM in mid-April. What's first on your calendar? We've got a few early birds who have already hit an early season swim or run event. Are you following a formal training plan or just going by feel/experience? Do you think your training is on target? If not, why not and how are you thinking about getting on track? For me, I've found that an aging body doesn't do "catch up" very well. If I miss a workout or even have a bad week, I have to just let it go. I can't "double up" next week to make up for the misses. To do that only results in incremental fatigue the reduces workout quality or, worse, results in injury. That's just the way it is. Instead I have to focus on the day/week at hand and make those individual workouts as solid as possible. I think the key for us gray guys/girls is just consistency over time; stumble but start again, fall but always get up. Talk is cheap. We'll see if I can pull myself out of the office at lunch to get to the pool and then to the gym after work for a treadmill workout. Steve

My first race is a small 5K this weekend.  I'd say it is really just another training run given my fitness level.  My first triathlon so far is on May 18th (Columbia Triathlon).  I'd call it an "A" race and I'd like to do well and move up a few slots - maybe into the top 10 in my age group.  It's likely I'll sign up for a tune-up tri in April but haven't decided which one.  

With respect to training, I do not have a formal plan.  Not really sure if training is on target.  May is a long way away still and the weather has put a damper on training.  I know I'll have to ramp up effort starting March 1st though.  The key for me will be doing my Saturday group rides, the track workouts with Luna Chix (which start in April), longer pool sessions, and keeping up my base training.    I, too, have to just skip a workout if it doesn't happen.  Seems that recovery takes longer and little nagging aches/pains become big nagging/aches pain if there is not enough rest.

2014-02-20 8:37 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Regular
Originally posted by hoffsquared

Steve

My first race is a small 5K this weekend.  I'd say it is really just another training run given my fitness level.  My first triathlon so far is on May 18th (Columbia Triathlon).  I'd call it an "A" race and I'd like to do well and move up a few slots - maybe into the top 10 in my age group.  It's likely I'll sign up for a tune-up tri in April but haven't decided which one.  

With respect to training, I do not have a formal plan.  Not really sure if training is on target.  May is a long way away still and the weather has put a damper on training.  I know I'll have to ramp up effort starting March 1st though.  The key for me will be doing my Saturday group rides, the track workouts with Luna Chix (which start in April), longer pool sessions, and keeping up my base training.    I, too, have to just skip a workout if it doesn't happen.  Seems that recovery takes longer and little nagging aches/pains become big nagging/aches pain if there is not enough rest.

Hey Melanie:

Thanks for sharing. Good luck with the 5K this weekend! You should get a good preliminary read on your run fitness.

Steve
2014-02-20 10:03 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-02-20 11:40 AM
in reply to: Dogpaddle

Expert
Falls Church

Tried to go for a run today.  Ankle area bothering me again.  I have made tough decision to not run for 10 days.  We'll see if that takes care of things.  Based on symptoms --- peroneal tendonitis or peroneal tendon subluxation.  Felt a twinge in that area about two weeks ago and things just don't seem to be getting better.  Will give it 10 days and if no improvement...go see the doc.

So my 5K for this weekend will be a walk w/ friend.

2014-02-21 6:22 AM

Farmington, Connecticut

Steve

Given our existing snow pack, the Iditarod would be the next logical outdoor event around here. Instead, I"ve entered an "indoor tri" at the local Y this Sunday. I just started swimming in mid January, so this will be a good check point of my progress in the pool.

As far as training, I've focused on learning to swim the Sprint distance and building both speed and endurance in running. Fairly happy with my progress to date, particularly with running. I"m thinking of adding a HM to my calendar sometime this summer.

Where I need a renewed effort is in my diet. I've been very inconsistent and that means my weight loss has just about stalled out. I need to be ten lbs less to meet my June 1st weight target of 178lbs. 175lbs would be even better. Time for a back to basics approach to portion control and calorie counting.

Hope everyone has a good weekend of training.
2014-02-21 9:36 AM
in reply to: Dogpaddle

Regular
Originally posted by Dogpaddle

My first "race" is a 5k a week from this Sat. and then I have one every other week or so after that. I'll have to see how it goes because my balance has really sucked lately. I think it will help me mentally as well as anything to be following a plan.

Hang in there Townsley. At this point it sounds like just have a goal of being able to achieve consistency in training will be solid. It will be interesting to see how you like the training plan. For me, I'll deviate and shift my plan around to fit my schedule, attitude, etc. But I fund it's really helpful to be able to look out at a full week or two and get mentally focused on the coming days vs. making it up on a short term basis.

Hope you get feeling better. Good luck in your race.

Steve

2014-02-21 9:47 AM
in reply to: DJP_19

Regular
Originally posted by DJP_19

Given our existing snow pack, the Iditarod would be the next logical outdoor event around here. Instead, I"ve entered an "indoor tri" at the local Y this Sunday. I just started swimming in mid January, so this will be a good check point of my progress in the pool.

As far as training, I've focused on learning to swim the Sprint distance and building both speed and endurance in running. Fairly happy with my progress to date, particularly with running. I"m thinking of adding a HM to my calendar sometime this summer.

Hey Dave--

Sounds great. Let us know how your indoor triathlon goes for you. The swim portion of the race obviously isn't ideal in the pool, but in winter the choices up north are limited. It should at least give you some good feedback on your fitness level. I'll be interested in how you feel in comparison to the amount of swim volume you've been able to accumulate.

The step up from sprint to HIM is a big one. But if you've got the time and desire to put in the training, I don't know why you wouldn't be able to do it. For me the key would be around increasing the training volume while keeping any injury/fatigue issues away. I just can't push the volume up like I used to (as a runner)...my recovery time requirements are longer. So, for me it really requires discipline around a long, slow build across all three sports.

Good luck. Look forward to reading your race report.
2014-02-21 4:21 PM

Farmington, Connecticut

Hey Dave--

Sounds great. Let us know how your indoor triathlon goes for you. The swim portion of the race obviously isn't ideal in the pool, but in winter the choices up north are limited. It should at least give you some good feedback on your fitness level. I'll be interested in how you feel in comparison to the amount of swim volume you've been able to accumulate.

The step up from sprint to HIM is a big one. But if you've got the time and desire to put in the training, I don't know why you wouldn't be able to do it. For me the key would be around increasing the training volume while keeping any injury/fatigue issues away. I just can't push the volume up like I used to (as a runner)...my recovery time requirements are longer. So, for me it really requires discipline around a long, slow build across all three sports.

Good luck. Look forward to reading your race report.

Hey Steve.

Yeah, I'm anxious to get a gauge on my swimming. I've been following Scott's tips as well as getting some local coaching.

Regarding HIM, I should have typed out "half marathon", since that was my intent. My recent long runs have averaged 8-10 miles, so the half seems like an incremental step.

I am very intrigued by a longer tri event, but I'm going to take this one step at a time.

Dave
2014-02-22 4:58 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

Regular
Originally posted by DJP_19

Hey Steve.

Yeah, I'm anxious to get a gauge on my swimming. I've been following Scott's tips as well as getting some local coaching.

Regarding HIM, I should have typed out "half marathon", since that was my intent. My recent long runs have averaged 8-10 miles, so the half seems like an incremental step.

I am very intrigued by a longer tri event, but I'm going to take this one step at a time.

Dave

Hey Dave:

I agree. If you're doing long runs of 8-10, the step up to a half marathon should be no problem, especially if you've been doing longer runs like this for a while. Your endurance base should be solid.

Steve
2014-02-22 11:38 PM

Master
East Side of the Bay

Hello Gray Group!

I know I have been missing for the past three weeks but have not given up. Just caught up on the thread. Like most of you I had some sort of illness and after doing everything at half-power took a full week off of exercise and just slept and went to work. Of course work was jamming with everyone wanting to be seen for sick visits! It has been very busy here, besides work I made it up to Western Mass in between snowstorms to celebrate my Dad's 80th birthday on the 8th. Last week my father in law stayed with us for a long weekend and my niece is staying with us for 2 weeks to attend a special college class. Just jockeying cars in the driveway has been a workout! Of course I could add to the chorus of complaints about snow, gym closures and lousy roads making getting a workout in very difficult too. I seem to be "almost" back on track this week.

I bought daffodils and 2 green plants this week in an effort to "think Spring". Outside the world is still in black and white with little mud for good measure.

Thanks for the Underdog refresher although Rocky and Bullwinkle will forever be my favorite. Especially the female Russian spy....was it Natasha? The brains behind Boris!

I hope your knee recovery continues to go smoothly Dave,

Scott- I would ask your coaches about seeing a sports nutritionist. You could search under www.eatright.org for someone near you but I think you really want someone who understands endurance athletes and most RD's (registered dietician) won't have that particular level of training, You might also ask at local Tri, bike or running shops for recommendations. Hard to explain your rising chol and LDL. Does your family history point to genetics as a big risk factor? Sorry about the scale issue. How frustrating!! It would be interesting to compare your scale numbers to a caliper body fat test with an experienced trainer.

My first race is a St Pats 5K on 3/8.  The race is fun and the crowd at the Irish pub after even better.  I think my post race Irish coffee has more calories than I burn in the run.

I will post tomorrow for the challenge. I will try to break it down by weeks missed since I have the data....

Edited by KOM 2014-02-22 11:50 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18762 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 4, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
She's back. We were able to interview Deanna Babcock, a triathlete who galvanized the forums over several months with her story of a tragic accident and subsequent recovery.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.