BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-01-15 5:32 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work)

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by copa2251
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by marcag My biggest accomplishment of 2014 : Last week did an FTP test. Best 20' ...but that's not it. Last week I swam my fastest ever 3k workout....but that's not it. Yesterday, ran the fastest I have in 2months, as I deal with an achilles injury....but that's not it I got on the scale this morning and for the first time in 8 weeks, the number went DOWN !!! Yes, down !!!! A whopping 2lbs....woooohooooo. The hardest part of triathlon (IMO)

I agree that it is the hardest part - congrats!!!

I think looking good naked is the hardest part of triathlon, and the most important!

WHAT? Not even one titter or silly comeback? Oh,  manatees, you seem to have fallen down on the job this morning.

Well, David, I must agree. I can't imagine that it's easy to look good naked during a tri...especially during the run.

The run would not be good. The bike would be worse.

I just can't believe no one riffed off "the hardest part"

Hello manatees!  Bio coming shortly (and speaking of all the delivery issues, I have to find a way to get PopTarts to the Pac Rim), but I couldn't resist the above.  

Matt

2014-01-15 5:44 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by marcag My biggest accomplishment of 2014 : Last week did an FTP test. Best 20' ...but that's not it. Last week I swam my fastest ever 3k workout....but that's not it. Yesterday, ran the fastest I have in 2months, as I deal with an achilles injury....but that's not it I got on the scale this morning and for the first time in 8 weeks, the number went DOWN !!! Yes, down !!!! A whopping 2lbs....woooohooooo. The hardest part of triathlon (IMO)

I think looking good naked is the hardest part of triathlon, and the most important!

WHAT? Not even one titter or silly comeback? Oh,  manatees, you seem to have fallen down on the job this morning.

Well, David, I must agree. I can't imagine that it's easy to look good naked during a tri...especially during the run.

Hello manatees!  Bio coming shortly (and speaking of all the delivery issues, I have to find a way to get PopTarts to the Pac Rim), but I couldn't resist the above.  

Matt

Something along the lines of "not for long"?  Oh, wait, that might not work either!

2014-01-15 5:57 PM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

Got my Puggle run in.  5K. WOOT!   I also got an email to let me know my new Garmin was already on it's WAY! It's turning out to be an awesome day!!!

2014-01-15 6:03 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Matt

Something along the lines of "not for long"?  Oh, wait, that might not work either!

I guess that's the long and short of it

2014-01-15 6:03 PM
in reply to: Triathlynne

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Triathlynne

Got my Puggle run in.  5K. WOOT!   I also got an email to let me know my new Garmin was already on it's WAY! It's turning out to be an awesome day!!!

congrats!

2014-01-15 6:05 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master

Matt

Now you guys are getting into the swing of things!

2014-01-15 6:09 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

congrats!

Woot, woot!!!

2014-01-15 6:10 PM

User image

Master

Otto (is that his name?) did 5k with you? That's awesome. Lol
2014-01-15 6:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

NAME: Matt McManus (although I'm called many things - including, most recently, Matt McManatee… which, in truth, cracked me up

STORY:  I love this sport!  Did my first tri back in the early 90's and stopped (all sorts of reasons, right?).  Kept running, but on and off - some years a LOT, some not so much.  Work colleague convinced me to buy one of those fancy new bikes (caaaahbon, as they say locally) to ride with him - I did and loved it!.  Since I always have swum for fun (never - EVER - competitively or coached) and was running some anyway, I decided to do a tri in the fall of 2012.  The Better Half (she swam through HS, had been running and just got a new bike) decided to do a couple sprints with me.  It was ON!  

Last year was my first full season of tri's.  Did 1 HIM, 2 Oly's and a bunch of sprints (plus a bunch of running races).  I've read that a few others here call it their mid-life crisis, and I'm in that boat - very happily (waaaaaaaay cheaper than most of the other flavors of crisis).  

FAMILY STATUS: Married to the Better Half (Kim), three kids (boy.girl.boy / 9.11.13), two labs (yellow and choco), a bazillion fish in a bunch of tanks (fresh and salt - my oldest loves fish, and he's converted us, too), some frogs, a hamster and gawd knows what else in the menagerie.  Family is the best and most important thing in my life - bar none.

CURRENT TRAINING: Just finished my first base block (of 3) and am on a rest & test week.  then 2 build blocks, a two week peak and a week taper for the first A race on June 8th.  A bunch of races (lots of running and a couple tris) on the way to that one.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS:  New Bedford HM in March.  HIM in Grand Rapids June 8th.  Nantucket Oly in July.  Maybe AGN in August.  Probably Timberman in August.  A bunch of other races, too… as long as I don't get hurt!

2013 RACES/EVENTS: Many road races (PR'd every non-track distance but the mile and marathon - neither of which I attempted - so, a very good year!), a bunch of sprints, two Oly's and one HIM.  Was a great season, even if it felt a bit selfish at times (a struggle to make sure we get in family time, but we tried to mix in "tri-tourism" like spending the week on Nantucket around the race - not a bad way to go, but we didn't do some other stuff over the summer that we usually do - so, a different year, but a good one).

BODY COMPOSITION: Went from ~190 or so when I bought the bike 2 years ago to the low 160's currently.  I raced last season around 155-157 (lightest I've been since middle school, I think), and want to get there again this season.  I think I'm in a good place to slowly let the last 5-7 pounds come off with the increase in training I HOPE to put in.

There's a good chance I'll be in a new job soon, which will bollocks up my whole plan - but that's life and part of what makes it all fun.

I am very interested in and excited by the sport, so I'm looking forward to being part of the discussion here.  I'll forewarn that I have something of a dry (like sahara dry) sense of humor, so I probably abuse the emoticon thing to make sure people know I'm kidding and not busting ballz (unless that's needed, of course).     See what I did there?

So, Manatees - I'm psyched and just super happy to join the party!  Thanks for having me.  

Matt

2014-01-15 6:25 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master

Matt

Now you guys are getting into the swing of things!

this reminds me of an old song we used to sing as kids...

User image

Seattle

Welcome Matt, and all other new Manatees! 

User image

Master

Matt

Welcome in, Matt I would have, but couldn't take all the fun for myself.
2014-01-15 6:26 PM

User image

Master

NAME: Matt McManus (although I'm called many things - including, most recently, Matt McManatee… which, in truth, cracked me up

STORY:  I love this sport!  Did my first tri back in the early 90's and stopped (all sorts of reasons, right?).  Kept running, but on and off - some years a LOT, some not so much.  Work colleague convinced me to buy one of those fancy new bikes (caaaahbon, as they say locally) to ride with him - I did and loved it!.  Since I always have swum for fun (never - EVER - competitively or coached) and was running some anyway, I decided to do a tri in the fall of 2012.  The Better Half (she swam through HS, had been running and just got a new bike) decided to do a couple sprints with me.  It was ON!  

Last year was my first full season of tri's.  Did 1 HIM, 2 Oly's and a bunch of sprints (plus a bunch of running races).  I've read that a few others here call it their mid-life crisis, and I'm in that boat - very happily (waaaaaaaay cheaper than most of the other flavors of crisis).  

FAMILY STATUS: Married to the Better Half (Kim), three kids (boy.girl.boy / 9.11.13), two labs (yellow and choco), a bazillion fish in a bunch of tanks (fresh and salt - my oldest loves fish, and he's converted us, too), some frogs, a hamster and gawd knows what else in the menagerie.  Family is the best and most important thing in my life - bar none.

CURRENT TRAINING: Just finished my first base block (of 3) and am on a rest & test week.  then 2 build blocks, a two week peak and a week taper for the first A race on June 8th.  A bunch of races (lots of running and a couple tris) on the way to that one.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS:  New Bedford HM in March.  HIM in Grand Rapids June 8th.  Nantucket Oly in July.  Maybe AGN in August.  Probably Timberman in August.  A bunch of other races, too… as long as I don't get hurt!

2013 RACES/EVENTS: Many road races (PR'd every non-track distance but the mile and marathon - neither of which I attempted - so, a very good year!), a bunch of sprints, two Oly's and one HIM.  Was a great season, even if it felt a bit selfish at times (a struggle to make sure we get in family time, but we tried to mix in "tri-tourism" like spending the week on Nantucket around the race - not a bad way to go, but we didn't do some other stuff over the summer that we usually do - so, a different year, but a good one).

BODY COMPOSITION: Went from ~190 or so when I bought the bike 2 years ago to the low 160's currently.  I raced last season around 155-157 (lightest I've been since middle school, I think), and want to get there again this season.  I think I'm in a good place to slowly let the last 5-7 pounds come off with the increase in training I HOPE to put in.

There's a good chance I'll be in a new job soon, which will bollocks up my whole plan - but that's life and part of what makes it all fun.

I am very interested in and excited by the sport, so I'm looking forward to being part of the discussion here.  I'll forewarn that I have something of a dry (like sahara dry) sense of humor, so I probably abuse the emoticon thing to make sure people know I'm kidding and not busting ballz (unless that's needed, of course).     See what I did there?

So, Manatees - I'm psyched and just super happy to join the party!  Thanks for having me.  

Matt

Thanks for the Bio, Matt.  I think your sense of humour (note the 'u') will fit right in.  

2014-01-15 6:36 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Matt

welcome Matt!

2014-01-15 6:37 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Seattle

Gah, been planning running routes for the upcoming trips I am taking (takes the guesswork out.)

This weekend:  Vegas

Maybe I can do my run with one of those 3' tall plastic vessels of margarita. 

2014-01-15 6:39 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Gah, been planning running routes for the upcoming trips I am taking (takes the guesswork out.)

I ran the Strip last December.  No one is out there before noon .  That trip was my first taste of a Lime-a-rita come to think of it.

2014-01-15 6:40 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by bcraht

I ran the Strip last December.  No one is out there before noon .  That trip was my first taste of a Lime-a-rita come to think of it.

Yeah, I was figuring that. Although, I should wear my clothes from the night before if I want to fit in

I'm going to run the strip >UNLV track and back

2014-01-15 6:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Sounds like I'm rambling... which I really am.

This is normal behaviour for a Manatee so you will be fitting right in
2014-01-15 6:48 PM

User image

Master

Yeah, I was figuring that. Although, I should wear my clothes from the night before if I want to fit in

Hehe...most other places it would be "run of shame". I think there's a place in MGM Grand where margarita vessels are big enough they can later be worn as a hat.
2014-01-15 6:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Matt

Thanks for the Bio, Matt.  I think your sense of humour (note the 'u') will fit right in.  

Oh finally someone who can spell
2014-01-15 6:56 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by StaceyK

Sounds like I'm rambling... which I really am.

This is normal behaviour for a Manatee so you will be fitting right in

True story.

And to pick up some 50 posts later, sorry to hear about your dog Stacey. pfy.

2014-01-15 7:20 PM

User image

Welcome Matt!
geez think we can all benefit from you being in here! you seem to have more hours in the day or bucket loads of energy.
2014-01-15 7:21 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

So, aside from running, what is the trip to Vegas going to entail? Work or fun?

2014-01-15 7:40 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by StaceyK

Matt

Oh finally someone who can spell

Youu people and youur extra u's!

2014-01-15 7:59 PM

User image

Matt

Welcome Matt!

-Ashley
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by McFuzz
Views: 25842 Posts: 509

2014-10-29 11:38 AM McFuzz

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38404 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by pfomalont
Views: 18415 Posts: 299

2014-05-19 7:15 AM marriedthepoolguy

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.