BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2010-10-26 10:51 AM
in reply to: #3172669

User image

Master
Subject: RE: swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!!
TrevorC - 2010-10-26 8:41 AM
DougRob - 2010-10-26 9:37 AM Garmin 305 question!!!

My unit has gone crazy! It turns on by itself and does nothing but run down the battery. I turn it off it turns on again. I tried letting it run out of power an then recharging - no love. I tried clearing it but the steps in the manual do not work. Any ideas before I contact Garmin?

Hold both buttons on the left side...power and not sure what the other is called.
Hold for a few seconds, and it should reset the unit.

Post if that works out for you or not...  My husband complains of the same thing all the time and I've always just thought it was user error, ha ha!!! I do hear his beep and turn on! Maybe it's not user error!

2010-10-26 11:23 AM
in reply to: #3138641

User image

Extreme Veteran
Last night I got this email from my gym saying they're a sponsor of the NYC tri and their members can register without going through the lottery process and before everyone else!  Long story short, I'm registered for my first tri for next season.  I know I said I wouldn't do another big event tri, but it's so convenient, the transition area is 5 blocks from my apt..  I wanted to do the race this past yr but it sold out in 9 min.  I guess membership does have it's advantages..
2010-10-26 11:29 AM
in reply to: #3172392

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
tahrens - 2010-10-26 10:25 AM ************REAL QUESTION*************

I attended my first Masters Swim class today and during the cool down he had us doing 75s with breathing every 4th or 5th stroke.  What is the purpose of this? My thoughts were 1) to increase lung capacity and gas exchange efficiency and 2) to ensure we slow down.  Am I correct and is this a good cool down activity to incorporate into all my workouts?

I worked on something similar with a coach I had once, her thought (if I remember correctly) was that I had issues with my stroke when breathing, so try a few sets where I did 4-5 strokes before breathing, that way I could focus on hand entry and pull without having to worry about breathing.

Next time ask why he had you do that?  I think that is a good thing to know.

Edited by dalessit 2010-10-26 11:45 AM
2010-10-26 11:35 AM
in reply to: #3172392

User image

Extreme Veteran
tahrens - 2010-10-26 10:25 AM ************REAL QUESTION*************

I attended my first Masters Swim class today and during the cool down he had us doing 75s with breathing every 4th or 5th stroke.  What is the purpose of this? My thoughts were 1) to increase lung capacity and gas exchange efficiency and 2) to ensure we slow down.  Am I correct and is this a good cool down activity to incorporate into all my workouts?

My coach made me do this before and also made me do this during kick turns (not breath for 6-8 strokes at every turn, no breaths 3-4 strokes in and 3-4 strokes after the kick turn).  He said this helps with lung capacity and building endurance for a race.  He said you need to teach your muscles to work at full oxygen and at oxygen deficit.  He also made me do 8-10 underwater laps (literally going from one side of the pool to the next underwater using a specific stroke, a stroke I can't explain in words).  This was a similar concept but also forced you to understand the importance of your glide as your fastest part of your stroke.

Edited by trying1 2010-10-26 11:37 AM
2010-10-26 12:37 PM
in reply to: #3172172

User image

Master
Maryland
dalessit - 2010-10-26 8:52 AM Very jealous, wish Sam and I could make this trip with you guys.

Make sure you guys take lots of pictures.

ME TOO : (

Linda
2010-10-26 1:29 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Reservation is for lucky 13....one extra spot open....did I forget someone?

John/Jarrett
Trev/Michelle
Kim/Kathy
Chet/Wife
Kelly/Husband
DJ
Suzy

2010-10-26 3:35 PM
in reply to: #3172713

User image

Elite
Raleigh
kkcbelle - 2010-10-26 11:51 AM

My unit has gone crazy! It turns on by itself and does nothing but run down the battery. I turn it off it turns on again. I tried letting it run out of power an then recharging - no love. I tried clearing it but the steps in the manual do not work. Any ideas before I contact Garmin?

Hold both buttons on the left side...power and not sure what the other is called.

Post if that works out for you or not...  My husband complains of the same thing all the time and I've always just thought it was user error, ha ha!!! I do hear his beep and turn on! Maybe it's not user error!

I tried that as that is in the manual. I also tried it with a Garmin representative on the phone. It does not work. He thinks I have a key pad issue. I cannot select "yes" or "no" in response to the delete question. We are working on my sending it in to them to repair as I type this.

It seems that the Augusta 70.3 destryed it AND my legs!
2010-10-26 8:04 PM
in reply to: #3173563

User image

Master
Sin City
DougRob - 2010-10-26 1:35 PM
kkcbelle - 2010-10-26 11:51 AM

I tried that as that is in the manual. I also tried it with a Garmin representative on the phone. It does not work. He thinks I have a key pad issue. I cannot select "yes" or "no" in response to the delete question. We are working on my sending it in to them to repair as I type this.

It seems that the Augusta 70.3 destryed it AND my legs!

Did you try the hard reset?  hold Mode + Lap and press Power for a few seconds

You need to hold mode and lap FIRST then press power button for a few seconds.   It worked for me when I had the same issue.
2010-10-26 10:36 PM
in reply to: #3173996

User image

Master
I had a dentist appointment today, and they check bp annually... hygienist commented on my low bp (102/50 or 60 or something, I forget the bottom number) and asked if low was normal for me and I said, "Yeah, I exercise a lot." Then she checked my pulse -- 47. She said that's her new record for a low pulse. Made me all proud. We athletes are such geeks.
2010-10-27 6:15 AM

User image

Champion
I'm blowing in (literally with 50mph winds....) to find out who's got big RACE plans this weekend?  a few details please!

For everyone else, what's the one piece of technology (tri or otherwise) you purchased that you regret? or feel is totally useless?  Share so we don't all make the same mistake!
2010-10-27 8:25 AM
in reply to: #3174283

User image

Champion
SSMinnow - 2010-10-27 7:15 AM I'm blowing in (literally with 50mph winds....) to find out who's got big RACE plans this weekend?  a few details please!

For everyone else, what's the one piece of technology (tri or otherwise) you purchased that you regret? or feel is totally useless?  Share so we don't all make the same mistake!

Kinder Cross Cyclocross race for me this weekend in Severna Park, MD.  Race # 3.

I think my bike is in better shape this week so we'll see how it goes.  I plan on taking a more triathlete approach to the race and even pacing it vs. hammering it for 2 laps and easing up like everyone else does, will see how my theory goes.

hmm, the gear thing is tough because I tend to do a lot of research before I buy anything these days.  Probably my road bike which was one of my first purchases, I bought it because it was carbon and it was on sale, no real research into fit or anything like that.  It's an ok road bike but I could have probably done a bit better knowing what I know now.

2010-10-27 8:37 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
SSMinnow - 2010-10-27 7:15 AM I'm blowing in (literally with 50mph winds....) to find out who's got big RACE plans this weekend?  a few details please!

The Finis lap counter is a waste!!!  Very complicated to set up, doesn't stick to the side of the pool, and I felt like an idiot.  Just use the lap counter on your Ironman Timex watches and you'll be fine.

(finis lap counter.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
finis lap counter.jpg (13KB - 19 downloads)
2010-10-27 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3174651

User image

Expert
B'ham
I haven't been disappointed w/ a technology purchase, but one equipment purchase comes to mind.  I purchased an Ultimate Descent hydration belt that carries one large (24 oz) bottle.  The belt is a buckle and the strap is non-elastic - very uncomfortable and constantly adjusting it during a run.  The large bottle also bounced a lot and leaked (3 bottles, same result). 
I recently purchased a Nathan 3 - 8 oz bottle belt.  Much more comfortable, less bouncy and no leaking.  Now I just need to start getting in some longer runs to justify wearing it.

Last night after work I headed up to some trails known as the "Horse Trails" near Lake Padden.  In my naivete I figured this was because people rode horses up there, I was wrong.  The first .38 miles had about 225 ft elevation gain (11+%).  Sometime during that I was thinking "a horse would be handy about now," then I came to a couple of slick, rocky areas w/ a nice drop to the side and decided I preferred my method of ascent.  By the time I reached the top of this <.5 mile "warm-up" I'd figured out they call them the horse trails because you end up snorting like a horse just trying to catch a breath.  This might have been the most difficult 3 mile run I've ever done.

2010-10-27 10:23 AM
in reply to: #3174922

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
cadmus - 2010-10-27 7:58 AM I haven't been disappointed w/ a technology purchase, but one equipment purchase comes to mind.  I purchased an Ultimate Descent hydration belt that carries one large (24 oz) bottle.  The belt is a buckle and the strap is non-elastic - very uncomfortable and constantly adjusting it during a run.  The large bottle also bounced a lot and leaked (3 bottles, same result). 
I recently purchased a Nathan 3 - 8 oz bottle belt.  Much more comfortable, less bouncy and no leaking.  Now I just need to start getting in some longer runs to justify wearing it.

Last night after work I headed up to some trails known as the "Horse Trails" near Lake Padden.  In my naivete I figured this was because people rode horses up there, I was wrong.  The first .38 miles had about 225 ft elevation gain (11+%).  Sometime during that I was thinking "a horse would be handy about now," then I came to a couple of slick, rocky areas w/ a nice drop to the side and decided I preferred my method of ascent.  By the time I reached the top of this <.5 mile "warm-up" I'd figured out they call them the horse trails because you end up snorting like a horse just trying to catch a breath.  This might have been the most difficult 3 mile run I've ever done.

Sounds nice... Any views or anything to make it worth it?  Come visit us for a jaunt up Mt. Si sometime. It's a humdinger!
2010-10-27 10:53 AM
in reply to: #3174922

User image

Champion
cadmus - 2010-10-27 10:58 AM I haven't been disappointed w/ a technology purchase, but one equipment purchase comes to mind.  I purchased an Ultimate Descent hydration belt that carries one large (24 oz) bottle.  The belt is a buckle and the strap is non-elastic - very uncomfortable and constantly adjusting it during a run.  The large bottle also bounced a lot and leaked (3 bottles, same result). 

Speaking of fuel belts what is everyone using for them?  My Amphipod belt is too big for me now and I need to pick up a new one.  I posted something in the Gear forum and Kathy recommended the Fuel Belt Helium.  Any other suggestions?
2010-10-27 11:21 AM
in reply to: #3175127

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
dalessit - 2010-10-27 9:53 AM
cadmus - 2010-10-27 10:58 AM I haven't been disappointed w/ a technology purchase, but one equipment purchase comes to mind.  I purchased an Ultimate Descent hydration belt that carries one large (24 oz) bottle.  The belt is a buckle and the strap is non-elastic - very uncomfortable and constantly adjusting it during a run.  The large bottle also bounced a lot and leaked (3 bottles, same result). 

Speaking of fuel belts what is everyone using for them?  My Amphipod belt is too big for me now and I need to pick up a new one.  I posted something in the Gear forum and Kathy recommended the Fuel Belt Helium.  Any other suggestions?

I have the 4 bottle Helium. I have really start to use it on my long runs. I throw INFINIT in 2 of the bottles. Great way to carry calories.

2010-10-27 11:50 AM
in reply to: #3175285

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2010-10-27 12:21 PM

I have the 4 bottle Helium. I have really start to use it on my long runs. I throw INFINIT in 2 of the bottles. Great way to carry calories.

Yeah I used to carry infinit but then realized for a marathon I couldn't carry enough bottles (not as creative as Suzy to stash one mid race)  So I just carry water now on runs and gels in the pouch for calories.
2010-10-27 12:56 PM
in reply to: #3175464

User image

Expert
B'ham
I tried the Nathan 4 bottle version, but the bottles in front interfered with my arm swing.  I looked at the Helium, but the pocket on it was pretty small and I sometimes need to carry my leash phone with me for work.

No views on last night's run, though I was surprised at one point to be looking down on I-5.  It was fun to run on new trails.
2010-10-27 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3175872

User image

Master
cadmus - 2010-10-27 10:56 AM I tried the Nathan 4 bottle version, but the bottles in front interfered with my arm swing.  I looked at the Helium, but the pocket on it was pretty small and I sometimes need to carry my leash phone with me for work.

No views on last night's run, though I was surprised at one point to be looking down on I-5.  It was fun to run on new trails.

Holy moly, I started typing and my computer screen went nuts and now I have the ole' TP. Whatever.

I have the 4-bottle Nathan and found if I wear it really low it doesn't interfere with my arms. However, it's a small and it's hard to get it tight enough around my waist and it doesn't adjust anymore. I've been shopping around, trying on various belts, but nothing feels awesome. I think they all suck!! If the belt fits, it's hard to get bottles in and out, or if the bottles are good there's not a pocket big enough for gels/keys/whatever, yada yada yada. You'd think it would be easy to design the perfect fuel belt! I heard there is a new Nathan coming out soon (maybe it's out now)?

Day 2 with sick kiddo, who has strep. Seeing the amount of pain he is in (and remembering strep from my childhood back when I still had tonsils), I can't imagine Linda running a marathon with strep. Crazy!!!

Edited by kkcbelle 2010-10-27 1:03 PM

User image

Master

I got nothin'.

Edited by kkcbelle 2010-10-27 1:03 PM

User image

Master

Someone tell me to shut up already.

Edited by kkcbelle 2010-10-27 1:04 PM

2010-10-27 1:44 PM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
SSMinnow - 2010-10-27 6:15 AM I'm blowing in (literally with 50mph winds....) to find out who's got big RACE plans this weekend?  a few details please!

I have a 15K this weekend.  Have tried to find a costume (2 different things and neither works for that distance for many reasons) with no success so I have bagged that idea (not worth the effort anymore) and this is now a "hard training run." 

This is were I need some input from the "runners" in the MG.  I am struggling a little bit with what I been told should be my strategy for the race.  Based on my current Vdot, I should be a little under 1:15 (pace overall at 8:00 min/miles) for this distance and thats where I have been directed to shoot for even without any taper.  

So the current race plan from the EN group is to.....go out at Z3 (8:10's) and hold on till mile 6 or so and then kick it to Threshold (7:50's) for the finish?  The last 3+ miles are gonna suck but.....Threshold here I come.  What are your thoughts on this type of race execution?

2010-10-27 1:50 PM
in reply to: #3175464

User image

Champion
dalessit - 2010-10-27 11:50 AM
TrevorC - 2010-10-27 12:21 PM

Yeah I used to carry infinit but then realized for a marathon I couldn't carry enough bottles (not as creative as Suzy to stash one mid race)  So I just carry water now on runs and gels in the pouch for calories.

I'm a huge fan of the Helium.  I used it for all marathons and IM.   With IM I had special needs for a refill, but for a marathon you could concentrate the calories and take small sips along with H20 from the course.  It's not all that unlike what you might be do the bike.  I trained that way and it worked well for me.  One other thing I did for marathons was have one bottle that had Carb Pro in it.  That way if you get sick of the taste you have an alternative to draw from.

As a side note, would anyone do this in a million years? $1000? laughable.

Edited by SSMinnow 2010-10-27 1:54 PM
2010-10-27 1:56 PM
in reply to: #3175893

User image

Master
Maryland
kkcbelle - 2010-10-27 2:00 PM
cadmus - 2010-10-27 10:56 AM I tried the Nathan 4 bottle version, but the bottles in front interfered with my arm swing.  I looked at the Helium, but the pocket on it was pretty small and I sometimes need to carry my leash phone with me for work.

Holy moly, I started typing and my computer screen went nuts and now I have the ole' TP. Whatever.

I have the 4-bottle Nathan and found if I wear it really low it doesn't interfere with my arms. However, it's a small and it's hard to get it tight enough around my waist and it doesn't adjust anymore. I've been shopping around, trying on various belts, but nothing feels awesome. I think they all suck!! If the belt fits, it's hard to get bottles in and out, or if the bottles are good there's not a pocket big enough for gels/keys/whatever, yada yada yada. You'd think it would be easy to design the perfect fuel belt! I heard there is a new Nathan coming out soon (maybe it's out now)?

Day 2 with sick kiddo, who has strep. Seeing the amount of pain he is in (and remembering strep from my childhood back when I still had tonsils), I can't imagine Linda running a marathon with strep. Crazy!!!

Thanks Kyla, I hope he feels better soon : )
2010-10-27 1:59 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
I use the Fuel Belt Helium 2 bottle for long run training.  I like it but agree with Kyla that I wish it had a zip pocket for keys or gels.

Linda
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  

of 81