General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 148

2012-01-25 5:57 AM
in reply to: #3637183

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread
Anyone on here want the book "You are an Ironman"? I got it for Christmas, was going to give it away in the free section of the classified forum, but would rather give it to someone here if they want it. It wasnt great but if you like to read or think you might find it inspirational it yours. I guess just respond in the thread so others will know its gone and then pm your address. if not ill put it on other forum.

2012-01-25 8:07 AM

User image

Regular
Akron
Dtoce I'm in the same boat with you. Steelhead's swim was canceled, but I'm feeling good to go!
2012-01-25 9:57 AM
in reply to: #4009216

User image

Regular
Akron
dtoce - 2012-01-24 7:22 PM

Dream Chaser - 2012-01-24 3:50 PM 

There are 'those people' who jump from sprint to Ironman!!  I do assume that most people have done at least a couple of 70.3's and consistently train year-round. 

Hey, I resemble that remark! (I must be one of those people-sort of.)

I've never done a sprint triathalon.

Never done an Oly tri.

Technically not even completed a 1/2 IM (the 70.3 Poconos race cancelled the swim).

And I WILL complete IM at Lake Placid.

(At least I do train year round...ha)

Finally figured out how to upload my pic...

I have a question for you since this was your first attempt at triathlon. My average speed on the bike was about 17.5 mph around home when I did my training rides before Steelhead HIM (2-3 hrs) and when I did Steelhead I averaged 20.5mph. I had plenty left in the tank for the run. I assume the pick up on speed had to do a little more with not having to stop and restart (lights, stop signs, traffic) but I didn't expect this much of a gain. How do you think your bike speed went compared to your training? The terrain was comparable to what I trained on as well.

2012-01-25 10:15 AM
in reply to: #4008765

User image

Master
PA

Dream Chaser - 2012-01-24 4:50 PM But seriously Monty, could you imagine training for an Ironman with little to no cycling base already?!?!?! 

Nope.  Def could not imagine in it.  Definitely definitely not.  It's a good thing I had a killer ride on July 2, 2010. 

2012-01-25 11:34 AM
in reply to: #4008765

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
Dream Chaser - 2012-01-24 4:50 PM

[But seriously Monty, could you imagine training for an Ironman with little to no cycling base already?!?!?! 

No I couldn't, but I think there are people out there who would try it! I think there are people reading this who may be trying it! I do agree with your post and am just generating discussion. That said, I think people need to look at the plans in context of who they are and what they are as an athlete. God bless the gentleman a couple of posts back starting his journey at 301lbs. I love hearing those stories about how this sport can change your life. Not sure about him jumping into this race (and that is by no means any judgement) as a starting point. But since he is moving forward with his goal, my thought (and I am no doctor or coach) would be that any training that will promote weight loss is better than any training towards a specific function at this point (but they usually go hand in hand). In other words, losing 100lbs would give him a better shot at finishing than would losing 25 and being a stronger cyclist. Just my thought and please anyone reading this post don't read anything into this. I think it is an admirable thing to set a lofty goal and try to achieve it and I wish him and everyone else out there success.
2012-01-25 11:43 AM
in reply to: #4010102

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
SEADOCHA - 2012-01-25 9:57 AM

I have a question for you since this was your first attempt at triathlon. My average speed on the bike was about 17.5 mph around home when I did my training rides before Steelhead HIM (2-3 hrs) and when I did Steelhead I averaged 20.5mph. I had plenty left in the tank for the run. I assume the pick up on speed had to do a little more with not having to stop and restart (lights, stop signs, traffic) but I didn't expect this much of a gain. How do you think your bike speed went compared to your training? The terrain was comparable to what I trained on as well.

Nice increase in race day pace!!

I averaged around 18-19mph on my medium long and long rides with many 2-3 hr rides trying to hold a high end aerobic pace. I've only just begun power/interval training now and did none last training block.  (My previous long rides of 4+ hours were much slower than that pace). This would up being around my race day pace-yet the course in the Poconos was very hilly compared to my training rides, so I'd say I rode 'faster' or at least did more work on race day. I can almost hold 20mph on the flat for about an hour outside, or I used to...yet I have no idea how that will compare to LP. I must do long hilly rides in the spring. (and TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN)

Do you have a tri-bike? I am seriously considering it...

2012-01-25 1:10 PM
in reply to: #4008853

User image

Regular

??Per TankBoy:

?I know lots of folks that shut down in August/September (heck, i've done it plenty of times!) and don't really get back on the wagon until march. I agree that you should have a good endurance base before starting a power build. If I had not done the work in October - December (and I know everyone in this group did!) I probably would be trying to lay down a base right now.

I have lost the wagon but heard that it is just round the corner - going to mount it as soon as i see it....

Edited by blackchr05 2012-01-25 1:12 PM
2012-01-25 1:20 PM
in reply to: #4008586

User image

Monty - 2012-01-24 2:33 PM
Dream Chaser - 2012-01-23 12:49 PM Again, studies prove it's easier to add Endurance; harder to add Strength and Power.  From everything I've read an been taught it's more efficient to first have Speed and then stretch that Speed into Endurance.  It's much less efficent to have Endurance and then try to add Speed afterwards.  

Bobby, I will agree with almost everything you say with one caveat. Every plan I have seen already assumes you are coming in with a 5-6 hour week base for several weeks prior. Therefore, I think it depends on where you are starting. In other words, you need some base of endurance prior to adding strength prior to adding the high powered endurance. If you are just starting out and go right to strength, you run the risk of muscle fatigue long before you get any value out of the workout. If you are assuming everyone already has the endurance base coming in then your points are right on.

Rich,

I'll throw a (somewhat) dissenting opinion in the works here, and I'm going to try to use terms that are easily definable. After having been in this sport for a while now, I still don't know what certain terms (i.e. strength, speed, base) mean specifically, and I'm pretty sure I see people using them differently even within this thread.

I would wager that 95% of triathletes misunderstand periodization because books like Friel's Triathlete's Training Bible don't even really get it right. There are two main tenets of periodization. First, training should move from general training methods far from competition to specific training methods closer to competition. Second, training should be structured in temporal cycles (micro-, meso-, and macrocycles). It's a pretty broad definition that can lead to lots of variations in training. 

We're still a long ways away from Placid, in what I would call the realm of general training. That means we should be working on all aspects of our fitness, including our endurance, functional threshold, and power/pace @ VO2max. In the interests of making sure people have an idea of what I mean by those terms, endurance is out resistance to fatigue (trained in Zone 2), functional threshold is the power/pace we can maintain for ~1 hr (trained in Zone 4), and power/pace @ VO2max is the power/pace that elicits maximal oxygen consumption, typically 8-10 minutes (trained in Zone 5).

I guess this is the long way of saying that I think you should have a mix of zones even when you are beginning to train to make sure you are working on all aspects of your fitness.

2012-01-25 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4010377

User image

Regular
Akron

Dtoce, looks like this was not quoted correctly. not sure what happened

Nice increase in race day pace!!

I averaged around 18-19mph on my medium long and long rides with many 2-3 hr rides trying to hold a high end aerobic pace. I've only just begun power/interval training now and did none last training block.  (My previous long rides of 4+ hours were much slower than that pace). This would up being around my race day pace-yet the course in the Poconos was very hilly compared to my training rides, so I'd say I rode 'faster' or at least did more work on race day. I can almost hold 20mph on the flat for about an hour outside, or I used to...yet I have no idea how that will compare to LP. I must do long hilly rides in the spring. (and TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN)

Do you have a tri-bike? I am seriously considering it...

Thanks and yes I bought the tri bike a couple weeks before the race. I noticed I gained about 1-1.5mph on my other training rides I did around home compared to my road bike. I def. think this bike has given me more speed (Trek speed concept 7.0). If you are capable of it, I would def recommend to buy the tri bike.  The seat was horrible by the way and I was not as aero as I am now. I had to invest in a new seat after Steelhead. It still haunts me! I bought an Adamo road seat and got fit for the bike this past winter. I am much more aero now, so I'm curious as to how it will help in my future races. I also just purchased a power tap that I am playing around with as well,but I enjoy it! I know I can't expect to jump up in speed for IM Lake Placid like I did at Steelhead unless I want to die for the marathon. I'm still curious as to how that happened! Train hard!

Edited by SEADOCHA 2012-01-25 1:35 PM
2012-01-25 1:58 PM
in reply to: #4010568

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
03djmorris - 2012-01-25 1:20 PM

I would wager that 95% of triathletes misunderstand periodization because books like Friel's Triathlete's Training Bible don't even really get it right. There are two main tenets of periodization. First, training should move from general training methods far from competition to specific training methods closer to competition. Second, training should be structured in temporal cycles (micro-, meso-, and macrocycles). It's a pretty broad definition that can lead to lots of variations in training. 

We're still a long ways away from Placid, in what I would call the realm of general training. That means we should be working on all aspects of our fitness, including our endurance, functional threshold, and power/pace @ VO2max. In the interests of making sure people have an idea of what I mean by those terms, endurance is out resistance to fatigue (trained in Zone 2), functional threshold is the power/pace we can maintain for ~1 hr (trained in Zone 4), and power/pace @ VO2max is the power/pace that elicits maximal oxygen consumption, typically 8-10 minutes (trained in Zone 5).

I guess this is the long way of saying that I think you should have a mix of zones even when you are beginning to train to make sure you are working on all aspects of your fitness.

Dave,

Many thanks for your comments. Nice to have the perspective of the semi-elite to balance out us regular folk.

Multipace training is the key!

I'd agree that you need to focus on what you are trying to do and when. Speed sharpening and peaking should not happen too early. (Base/strength and tempo can really be done year round.)

2012-01-25 7:58 PM
in reply to: #4010354

User image

Regular
Ballston Spa

Monte,

Thanks for your delicate word and support. I have always watched IM and have loved the notion of attempting this. I do not take it lightly but I have always had a weight problem. If I waited to lose weight before doing this I might never attempt it. Luckily for me they don't require a physical before registering. I plan on starting running in June so my legs are fresh for July, not sure when I will start biking but that's the easy part. We all rode bikes as kids... Just joking.  I am rotund and large. I know what lays ahead of me as I have run 7 marathons all over 275lbs. I have run 3 marathons in 3 weeks twice. I just have a hard time dieting but know that if I stay motivated and dedicated I can improve my health, participate in an amazing journey, inspire my son and attempt a something that most people believe is impossible.

I know that doing this just to finish may be insulting to those who are racing but this is my first step at this distance.  I appreciate all comments good or bad as I opened myself up for them by posting. We all are trying to do something. Me, I want to be an IRONMAN and a FORMER FAT GUY.

I hope you race well and keep your eye out for me. I plan on finishing before 17hrs expires.Smile

2012-01-25 8:48 PM
in reply to: #4011297

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
dxc0162 - 2012-01-25 7:58 PM

Monte,

Thanks for your delicate word and support. I have always watched IM and have loved the notion of attempting this. I do not take it lightly but I have always had a weight problem. If I waited to lose weight before doing this I might never attempt it. Luckily for me they don't require a physical before registering. I plan on starting running in June so my legs are fresh for July, not sure when I will start biking but that's the easy part. We all rode bikes as kids... Just joking.  I am rotund and large. I know what lays ahead of me as I have run 7 marathons all over 275lbs. I have run 3 marathons in 3 weeks twice. I just have a hard time dieting but know that if I stay motivated and dedicated I can improve my health, participate in an amazing journey, inspire my son and attempt a something that most people believe is impossible.

I know that doing this just to finish may be insulting to those who are racing but this is my first step at this distance.  I appreciate all comments good or bad as I opened myself up for them by posting. We all are trying to do something. Me, I want to be an IRONMAN and a FORMER FAT GUY.

I hope you race well and keep your eye out for me. I plan on finishing before 17hrs expires.Smile

Living the Dream

I watch me first IM when I was 16 years old I did not race my forst IM till I was 25 no at 36 I am doing my second one. 

Go out prepare and have a Day!!

2012-01-25 9:47 PM

User image

Regular
dxc0162 - 2012-01-25 8:58 PM

... I can improve my health, participate in an amazing journey, inspire my son and attempt a something that most people believe is impossible.

dxc0162, I have never been to an Ironman but I'm willing to go out on a limb and bet that you'll have a fan-base looking for you at the oval...a BT support crew cheering you across the line.

Keep up the training.  

2012-01-25 9:49 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Monte,

3 marathons in 3 weeks? Twice??? That ain't easy. Based on my own personal experience, I think you already have this little ironman thing in the bag!! FWIW, I cannot imagine anyone being insulted by your personal goal.

2012-01-25 10:11 PM
in reply to: #4007036

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
dxc0162 - 2012-01-23 8:30 PM

Hi all, I wanted to introduce myself. I am king of the Clydedales I am droping from 301lbs on 1/1/12 and working like hell to prepare for IMLP. Please make sure to say a kind word as you pass me by on your second leg of the bike.  I'll be the guy huffing and puffing up the hills on his totally awesome Specialized Secteur!

Hey Doug, (I hope you don’t mind me calling you Doug) that is an impressive goal.  Great for you!  I respect anyone wanting to tackle an Ironman.  If there is anything I can help you with let me know, pm or open forum.  Keep at it the training and really want it.

btw I was getting caught up when I saw this post.

Edited by tasr 2012-01-25 10:30 PM
2012-01-25 10:13 PM
in reply to: #4005941

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
klassman - 2012-01-23 12:24 PM

I dropped my bike today on a batch of ice going over a bridge.  Not a big deal as far as the bike goes -- it is my commuter, a Marin hybrid, and I was only going about 5 mph -- but I slid on my left hip for a yard or so and smacked my head into a concrete wall.  No injuries that I'm aware of yet.

But, damn.  Now I need a new helmet.

Safe training to all of you if you have tough weather.  Don't do what I did!

I hope the bike is OK.......I mean I hope your OK! 

2012-01-25 10:13 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Where the hell is Jenn?

Edited by tasr 2012-01-25 10:13 PM
2012-01-25 10:16 PM
in reply to: #4009216

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
dtoce - 2012-01-24 8:22 PM

Finally figured out how to upload my pic...

and it does'nt have PROOF accross it......  Very Nice!

2012-01-25 10:19 PM
in reply to: #4011424

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
klassman - 2012-01-25 10:47 PM

... I can improve my health, participate in an amazing journey, inspire my son and attempt a something that most people believe is impossible.

dxc0162, I have never been to an Ironman but I'm willing to go out on a limb and bet that you'll have a fan-base looking for you at the oval...a BT support crew cheering you across the line.

Keep up the training.  

I'll be there..........

and FOR the end.  I get goose bumps just typing it.

2012-01-25 10:32 PM
in reply to: #4011426

User image

Regular
Ballston Spa

"3 marathons in 3 weeks? Twice??? That ain't easy. Based on my own personal experience, I think you already have this little ironman thing in the bag!! FWIW, I cannot imagine anyone being insulted by your personal goal. "
-----
Rusty

@Rusty,

Thanks for the kind words but I respect the distance to know it's not in the bag. Running a marathon is not the same or close to the Ironman. I know that over the next 6 months I will have to be committed and fight my nature of getting distracted and missing work outs.   I didn't mean that people would be insulted by my personal goal but I can see where some would be upset that it may appear that I am taking the spot of someone else that may have wanted to participate. I know my wife is against it. She would prefer to see me lose the weight first and show that committment before doing this.  Unfortunately this does not work well for me. I need an event to help motivate me to push away from the table and to lace up my shoes. 

This group on BT is awesome and extremly supportive. 

@klassman- you rock, thanks again for the mojo... how's the noggin and shoulder?

2012-01-25 10:38 PM
in reply to: #4011444

User image

Regular
Ballston Spa

Thanks for the offer, right now I'm just following my training plan.  I have a ton of questions but they relate more about my bike itself. I ride a Specialized Secteur triple. Built for comfort on the road as for speed. I suck on uphill climbs due mostly to my excess weight so I love the triple. I of course drool over looking at tri-bikes but feel that the cost outweight any benefits, especially on the LP course.

I have also been looking at different wheels for the race but again it seems cost prohibitive to upgrade as I doubt wheels are going to give me a 30 min advantage.

Would love to hear others feeling on road vs tri for the course and the use of aero wheels vs stock.

Of course you can refer to me as Doug, since it's may name.

2012-01-25 11:02 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Doug, that’s great you’re following your plan, very important and glad to here.  Road bike for LP is just fine.  Comfort is very important for that distance.  Heck any race.

So it’s not necessary to have a tri specific TT bike or aero race wheels.  Many years I raced on a road bike with aero clip-ons.  I train on both road bike and tri bike for all distances of tri’s.  I race only on my tri bike with my Zipp 808’s even the most challenge of hilly tri’s.  I feel faster, less fatigue and fresher.  Besides my wife said she would chop it up and burn it in the yard if I didn’t race it after spending all that money. 

Edited by tasr 2012-01-25 11:11 PM
2012-01-25 11:38 PM
in reply to: #4011481

User image

Huntington Beach, CA
tasr - 2012-01-25 9:02 PM

...  I feel faster, less fatigue and fresher.  Besides my wife said she would chop it up and burn it in the yard if I didn’t race it after spending all that money. 

I'm sorry, i just read that and had to laugh.  Statement is all too true for the bikes and my gf has said the same thing, adding she'd sit me in a chair and make me watch the whole thing...

Been kind of lurking these past couple weeks as work has been getting more "fun" lately for some reason, but that hasn't stopped me from putting in some of the time.  Sleep, work and eating aside, time still exists to put in the training which I'm thankful for.

Just read through Rusty's blog about his race experience last year at LP, and i can't say enough how glad i am i did that.  Marking it as a favorite and will be referring to it more times to know the experience (thanks for blogging it btw, its a very good read and real glad that shoulder healed up, looks like a doozy) along with all the advice thats only begun to be shared in this thread.  Hopefully i'll be able to contribute a little more.

2012-01-26 8:27 AM
in reply to: #4011447

User image

Master
PA
tasr - 2012-01-25 11:13 PM

Where the hell is Jenn?

SHE IS TRAINING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  duh...  where else would she be?  Dang chlorine messing up my pedi.   I head she is also taking guitar lessons, trying to go back to school, learning to ski, planning a trip to cancun, planning a trip to go back to vail, and somewhere in there is still managing to not miss a single game of go fish or making cupcakes or practicing spelling....    life is good. 

2012-01-26 11:07 AM
in reply to: #4011470

User image

dxc0162 - 2012-01-25 11:38 PM

Thanks for the offer, right now I'm just following my training plan.  I have a ton of questions but they relate more about my bike itself. I ride a Specialized Secteur triple. Built for comfort on the road as for speed. I suck on uphill climbs due mostly to my excess weight so I love the triple. I of course drool over looking at tri-bikes but feel that the cost outweight any benefits, especially on the LP course.

I have also been looking at different wheels for the race but again it seems cost prohibitive to upgrade as I doubt wheels are going to give me a 30 min advantage.

Would love to hear others feeling on road vs tri for the course and the use of aero wheels vs stock.

Of course you can refer to me as Doug, since it's may name.

Hi Doug.  I'm totally offended by your posts.  NOT!!  I think what you're doing is great.  Fantastic even.  I think the more people who are not of the typical, slim 'greyhound build' who compete at triathlon will motivate other people to compete in the sport and live a healthier, active lifestyle.

The first time I thought that I could do an Ironman was after watching the youtube video of Rick and Dick Hoyt.  I said to myself, if Dick can complete that distance with another adult human being attached to him - then so can I. Can.  Here's the video.    

To be brutally honest, the more people who are slower than me the better!   And mind you, I was close to 230 pounds six years ago, with a 38 waist.  Now I'm 178 with a 32' waist.  For me, Running really took off a lot of weight. 

Chances are, you'll get a much louder applause and roar from the the crowd then the first place finisher.  I hope to be there to cheer you in. 

Oh, and about wheels ... your stock wheels will be fine.  However, if you just upgrade to a slightly better wheel you may save some significant time with a wheel that has better hub.  An ugraded hub will have better bearings and will roll much more efficiently, which can save a lot of time and energy; especially on a hilly course like Lake Placid. 

For example, my stock Cervelo came stock with Shimano WH-R500 wheels.  They retail for $129 a wheelset and you get what you pay for.  I ugraded to Easton EA90 SL on Ebay brand new wheelset for $350.00.  The difference is night & day.  The Easton wheels have an R4 hub which contains better quality bearings.  When I free-spin the R500 and the EA90 -- the EA90's free spin for over TWICE as long as the R500's!!  (I also have a pair of HED Jet 60's C2 which free spin for slightly longer than the Easton EA's.)  I believe the difference between riding the Shimano and Easton wheels over the Lake Placid course would be pretty substantial.  Also my Easton wheels absorb a lot more of the bumbs in the road, so they help me save energy and make feel less 'beat up' when I get off the bike. 

So yeah, if you have a $100 or $200.00 wheelset, a simple upgrade to a wheelset just a few hundred dollars more can make a big difference.  This guy seems to have a pretty cool website.  He's a clydesdale who has reviewed some wheelsets. 

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 148