BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-02-05 5:25 AM
in reply to: #4608877

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED
chapfallen - 2013-02-05 4:49 AM

Question - does anyone in the group use a foam roller?

I've had one for a couple of years, but been a little lax on using it.  I went to a session last night to learn to use it properly, where they gave us a sequence to foam roller the whole body.  I was amazed at some of the muscles you can get to (never thought the rotator cuff could be got at with a foam roller).  I'm thinking about substituting a couple of my pilates sessions with the foam roller instead.  It requires quite a lot of core stuff, and from what I'm told it's valuable for injury prevention (and a lot cheaper than regular sports massages).  Anyone have any thoughts?

Today I was planning a nice outdoor ride.  Woke up to find an inch of snow on the ground.  Didn't see that coming...  Most of the ride is off road, but there's a 5 mile stretch in the middle to get between the two trails, so I'm going to have to go and check out conditions and then maybe reassess. 

Are you prone to soft tissue injuries or just looking for a way to prevent problems?  

I have a foam roller, but don't use it as much as I thought I would.  I do yoga to stretch more.  It sounds like the structured foam roller program you found is solid.  I would think it would be a beneficial thing.  

2013-02-05 7:29 AM
in reply to: #4608619

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED

cathyd - 2013-02-04 8:29 PM Bike question:  I have a road bike with clip on aerobars.  Riding outside I am in aero position probably 90% of the time on most rides.   How important is it to ride on the aerobars on the trainer? Do you ride aero on the trainer?

I'm sure you'll get varying opinions on this topic, but my sports med doc (also an avid bike racer and triathlete) suggested that in the off season when I'm on the trainer that I spend more time on the hoods than in aero.  His reasoning was to give my back a break and work some other muscles.  As Spring hits, I make the transition back to aero before hitting the great outdoors.

2013-02-05 8:55 AM

User image

Elite
washington state
chapfallen - 2013-02-05 1:49 AM

I've had one for a couple of years, but been a little lax on using it.  I went to a session last night to learn to use it properly, where they gave us a sequence to foam roller the whole body.  I was amazed at some of the muscles you can get to (never thought the rotator cuff could be got at with a foam roller).  I'm thinking about substituting a couple of my pilates sessions with the foam roller instead.  It requires quite a lot of core stuff, and from what I'm told it's valuable for injury prevention (and a lot cheaper than regular sports massages).  Anyone have any thoughts?

Today I was planning a nice outdoor ride.  Woke up to find an inch of snow on the ground.  Didn't see that coming...  Most of the ride is off road, but there's a 5 mile stretch in the middle to get between the two trails, so I'm going to have to go and check out conditions and then maybe reassess. 

I have one that I use fairly often.  It is one that is 3 feet long.  I mostly use it for my quads and IT band.  Since it long enough for me to lay on, I also use it to stretch chest and shoulders.  That class sounds great.  I don't suppose they have a website or other info, do they?

2013-02-05 11:12 AM

User image

Champion
chapfallen - 2013-02-05 3:49 AM

I have this whole set of TP Massage Equipment.  I used to use it every day for about 15' while watching tv.  I haven't used it as much since I started doing TRX, but I find the different sizes useful for areas like the soleus and adductors when they get really tight.  That ball works wonders on piriformis issues too.

2013-02-05 9:20 PM
in reply to: #4609010

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
SSMinnow - 2013-02-05 8:29 AM

cathyd - 2013-02-04 8:29 PM Bike question:  I have a road bike with clip on aerobars.  Riding outside I am in aero position probably 90% of the time on most rides.   How important is it to ride on the aerobars on the trainer? Do you ride aero on the trainer?

I'm sure you'll get varying opinions on this topic, but my sports med doc (also an avid bike racer and triathlete) suggested that in the off season when I'm on the trainer that I spend more time on the hoods than in aero.  His reasoning was to give my back a break and work some other muscles.  As Spring hits, I make the transition back to aero before hitting the great outdoors.

That's what I do.  Until tri season is closer, I ride the road bike almost exclusively, sometimes in the drops, sometimes on the hoods.  But since it doesn't have a clip-on, never in aero.  As tri racing approaches, I'll gradually switch over to the tri bike over the course of a couple of weeks then ride it almost exclusively through the season.

2013-02-06 11:05 AM
in reply to: #4549087

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Good short run & swim yesterday - crammed into my free time; today longer run & some yoga.

Feeling good going into the 1/2 mary on the 16th and beyond...getting ready to tackle tri season!

2013-02-06 11:19 AM

User image

Expert

I'm feeling a bit frustrated this morning.  During my run yesterday my left calf started getting tight.  I stopped halfway through the run and did a few minutes of stretching, then kept going.  With about 1/2 mile to go at the end (about the 3.5 mile mark) the calf tightened up again.  Since I was so close I just kept going, then stretched after the run for 5-10 minutes.  It was REAL tight at this point.  A few hours later it was still tight, and there was some mild pain/discomfort in my heel when walking barefoot.  Thoughts of plantar fasciitis ran through my head! (I've never had it, but read enough horror stories to be afraid...).  I spent the rest of the day in running shoes with a soft heel insert (not my actual running shoes, just another cheap pair I use for daily stuff) and had no heel pain, but man the calf never loosened up.  

I skipped last nights planned bike, and instead spent about an hour with a frozen water bottle and a golf ball rolling the bottom of my foot, and did a bunch of lower leg stretches.  It all felt good when I went to bed, but the calf is tight again this morning!  My arch is also sore, but that may just be from the rolling with the ball, which it is not used to.  Anyway, I hope I'm overreacting here, but I'm worried.  Going to try a short run on the treadmill tonight (all I'll have time for anyway), but will shut it down if there is any pain.

I feel like I've been pretty conservative on my running, all super easy and I'm following a slow volume build.  Maybe still too quick considering I'm coming off such a long layoff of no running?  Hopefully I'm just making too much over a simple tight calf and it will be fine in a day?  I hope so anyway... 

2013-02-06 11:35 AM
in reply to: #4611170

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
norcal_SAHD - 2013-02-06 12:19 PM

I'm feeling a bit frustrated this morning.  During my run yesterday my left calf started getting tight.  I stopped halfway through the run and did a few minutes of stretching, then kept going.  With about 1/2 mile to go at the end (about the 3.5 mile mark) the calf tightened up again.  Since I was so close I just kept going, then stretched after the run for 5-10 minutes.  It was REAL tight at this point.  A few hours later it was still tight, and there was some mild pain/discomfort in my heel when walking barefoot.  Thoughts of plantar fasciitis ran through my head! (I've never had it, but read enough horror stories to be afraid...).  I spent the rest of the day in running shoes with a soft heel insert (not my actual running shoes, just another cheap pair I use for daily stuff) and had no heel pain, but man the calf never loosened up.  

I skipped last nights planned bike, and instead spent about an hour with a frozen water bottle and a golf ball rolling the bottom of my foot, and did a bunch of lower leg stretches.  It all felt good when I went to bed, but the calf is tight again this morning!  My arch is also sore, but that may just be from the rolling with the ball, which it is not used to.  Anyway, I hope I'm overreacting here, but I'm worried.  Going to try a short run on the treadmill tonight (all I'll have time for anyway), but will shut it down if there is any pain.

I feel like I've been pretty conservative on my running, all super easy and I'm following a slow volume build.  Maybe still too quick considering I'm coming off such a long layoff of no running?  Hopefully I'm just making too much over a simple tight calf and it will be fine in a day?  I hope so anyway... 

Don't.  Voice of experience.  I tore my gastrocs.  Give your calf about 1 week off then try a mile and see how it feels.  If it's okay, build up carefully.  When mine tore I had been babying it for several weeks and when I took 1 non limping step in the morning I felt the sucker shred.
2013-02-06 1:30 PM

User image

norcal_SAHD - 2013-02-06 7:19 AM

I don't know when you started using the BT logs, but it seems like you "might" have gone from a period of off time to jumping right into running 6x per week.  Now, it looks like you have spaced out your volume over those 6 days nicely, but that's could still be a significant increase if you weren't running at all for a few weeks/months prior to that.

Running injuries usually take about 3-5 weeks before they actually pop their head out.  You may feel absolutely fine running a given volume/intensity before realizing later it was too much.  That's why runners get injured so much though...because it's harder for us to adjust before it's too late, and we need to be very disciplined and hold ourselves back sometimes even though we "think" we feel good.

So all that said, I agree with Judy.  Take this somewhat seriously and just rest it a few days.  Keep doing your self massaging, but don't resume running until everything is pain free.  If you can't walk around barefoot like you normally do without pain or discomfort, there is not much gain trying to see if you can run.  When you do feel better, you might want to try starting back with a run/walk.  Maybe run 3 minutes, walk 2 minutes just to help let you acclimate and assess.  Our good friend Bryan Dunn is going through some calf issues now and he has no shame doing a run/walk now...and he's qualified for Kona in every IM he's done.

2013-02-06 1:46 PM

User image

Expert

Judi and Jason, thanks for the reality check!  I'll shut it down at least through the weekend.  Jason, I didn't log everything last year, but for a good part of the year I did nothing.  So yes, I did go from basically zero to 6 days.  I had a decent base in 2009-11, but not much at all last year.  I was thinking (hoping?) that if I kept the effort real easy, and the time short, I'd be able to go 6 days without issue.  Maybe wishful thinking, huh?  I'm in no hurry, there's no deadline I'm shooting for here, I'll just start over a bit slower this time.  Maybe start with every other day for a few weeks, then add in more runs as I go?

david.

2013-02-06 1:47 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Hi All!!

I had my first day of training after getting back from Egypt on Sunday night (jet lag took a hairy bite out of me this trip!), and I feel great!  I was really missing the activity while I was over there, even though we did some walking around and took the stairs to the 7th floor for our hotel room.  There is NO chance a single female would be able to run in Cairo.  Actually, I've been going to Egypt for years and I've never seen anyone, western or Egyptian, running in the streets.  Anyway, I digress.  Today's workout was 53 min on the spin bike and a short 1000 yards in the pool. 

Hope all is well (and that the calf pain is getting better--sorry I don't have any insight into how to help with that one!).

g

2013-02-06 2:06 PM

User image

Champion
norcal_SAHD - 2013-02-06 11:19 AM

I'm going to come at this from a different angle and to repeat I'm not a doctor or PT, but I have spent a lot of time over the last five years getting a better understanding of the body and how running can impact it.

In addition to the work you did on the bottom of the foot and stretching the calf, did you do any rolling of the soleus?  I have found that quite often it is the culprit causing the heel issues.  I have a very hard TP roller that I use to soften up that area, but you could manually do it with your hands if you didn't have the roller.  Here is a video.

Give a try.  If that area is at all tender, it is worth working it.  All the massage in the world on the bottom of the foot won't help unless you know the root cause.

2013-02-06 3:03 PM
in reply to: #4609459

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-02-06 3:04 PM
in reply to: #4608619

2013-02-06 3:07 PM

2013-02-06 3:10 PM

2013-02-06 3:49 PM
in reply to: #4611647

Extreme Veteran
England
Fred D - 2013-02-06 9:03 PM
SSMinnow - 2013-02-05 12:12 PM
chapfallen - 2013-02-05 3:49 AM

I have this whole set of TP Massage Equipment.  I used to use it every day for about 15' while watching tv.  I haven't used it as much since I started doing TRX, but I find the different sizes useful for areas like the soleus and adductors when they get really tight.  That ball works wonders on piriformis issues too.

Trigger point massage has worked well for me too. Hurts a bit at first, but can be really helpful. Been using it for 4 years now.

We've got the trigger point "grid" roller, as well as a standard foam roller.  I don't have any particular injuries, but find that sports massage is a good way to keep it that way.  I figure the foam roller is a good way of doing it at home.

Dee, if you PM me your email address I'll forward the handout we were sent for the foam roller session.  It's got some funny photos of my friend Neil!

2013-02-06 3:56 PM

Extreme Veteran
England

Yesterday's ride landed up being a bit of an interesting experience, with the weather definitely getting worse before it got better.  I got to the high point of the ride and had the option of cutting it short.  It was snowing ever so slightly, but I decided to keep going.  And of course as soon as I was past the point of no return (down a steep hill that I really didn't fancy cycling back up) the snow started coming down really heavily.  I landed up stopping at a cafe at the bottom of the hill for a hot drink and a cupcake while I waited for the snow to clear up.  Fortunately it improved after about 20 minutes, and by the time I got home all the snow had melted and the sun was out.  The 2nd half of the ride was definitely more enjoyable than the first!

And since people have been sharing photos, I took one yesterday, but now I've forgotten how to put them into posts.  Any tips?

2013-02-06 6:18 PM
in reply to: #4611746

Expert
chapfallen - 2013-02-06 1:56 PM

Yesterday's ride landed up being a bit of an interesting experience, with the weather definitely getting worse before it got better.  I got to the high point of the ride and had the option of cutting it short.  It was snowing ever so slightly, but I decided to keep going.  And of course as soon as I was past the point of no return (down a steep hill that I really didn't fancy cycling back up) the snow started coming down really heavily.  I landed up stopping at a cafe at the bottom of the hill for a hot drink and a cupcake while I waited for the snow to clear up.  Fortunately it improved after about 20 minutes, and by the time I got home all the snow had melted and the sun was out.  The 2nd half of the ride was definitely more enjoyable than the first!

And since people have been sharing photos, I took one yesterday, but now I've forgotten how to put them into posts.  Any tips?

sounds like quite a ride!  I'm pretty sure I would have called someone to come pick me up from the cafe. Sealed

for pictures, the easiest way for me is to upload it somewhere on the web (I use picasaweb, but I'm sure there are 100's of choices) and link to it from the post with the little 'insert image' icon that looks like a tree.  Like this:

That's my wife and girls heading out in a triathlon last year.  Nothing like swimming in the shadow of dual nuclear reactor towers! (decommissioned in the 80's, don't worry).

The other way is to attach it directly to a post, in which case you upload it to BT directly.  Click on 'attach a file after posting', but I think it has to be below a certain size limit.  I'll try that too...

[on edit:  yes, it worked to attach, but it can only be "100".  I assume kb?  not sure.  But the avatar pic is all I had handy on my computer that was small enough to upload as a test.  definitely hosting it online and linking to the photo is the better way to go here on BT.]

Edited by norcal_SAHD 2013-02-06 6:22 PM

(xterra.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
xterra.jpg (42KB - 1 downloads)
2013-02-06 11:39 PM
in reply to: #4611663

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Fred D - 2013-02-06 4:10 PM Been a busy few days for me with work. Got some good training in today and that feels great! One of the docs at my hospital had a massive stroke 2 days ago and it has upset everyone in te institution. Healthy guy. ICU doc to boot. Just need to remind ourselves that we need to take joy as much as we can in life, work and training as terrible stuff comes up too often to be hating what we are doing. So dammit, take joy on what you are doing! Ok? :-)

Sorry to hear that Fred.  That's tough.  And a really good reminder to celebrate life and our ability to S/B/R or whatever it is we do.

2013-02-07 8:20 AM
in reply to: #4611663

Champion
Fred D - 2013-02-06 4:10 PM

Been a busy few days for me with work. Got some good training in today and that feels great!

One of the docs at my hospital had a massive stroke 2 days ago and it has upset everyone in te institution. Healthy guy. ICU doc to boot.

Just need to remind ourselves that we need to take joy as much as we can in life, work and training as terrible stuff comes up too often to be hating what we are doing.

So dammit, take joy on what you are doing! Ok? :-)

Sorry to hear about your colleague -- Thanks for the reminder, even if it comes from a painful place.

2013-02-07 8:30 AM

Champion
OK....so (drum roll please)... my big announcement...

I am going to do a my first 1/2 iron-distance race in September. I'm easy-peasy with the run, but that's the easy part. My drama will be the swim and then just getting the bike miles in. But I have 7 months from today and I have a plan.

SWIM
1 - February, March - continue to get comfy in the water, work on technique (which hopefully adds a wee bit of speed...I'm horrendously slow in the agua right now). I can swim a slow mile in the pool if I need to.
2 - April through Summer - take advantage of OWS clinics, training sessions, and even a private lesson if necessary to get over my OWS issues; build the volume to well above the 1.2 so I'm comfortable. Hubby has agreed to pay for classes, clinics, etc. to get me ready for this leg.
3 - July - do a 750-swim river sprint tri
4 - August - do a 1-mile standalone river swim as a prep for the race
5 - I will be able to do the 1.2 miles for the HIM by September 7

BIKE
1 - February, March start building volume around my running races these months; get the bike outside whenever the weather permits
2 - April through Summer - long rides, testing nutrition, etc. - I have a biking colleague who has agreed to come with me for some of these, both to keep me company and push me a bit. Build volume to atleast 60, running a mile or 2 after many of the rides
3 - I will be able to do the 58 miles for the HIM by September 7 (yes, the race is a little long on the bike)

RUN
1 - Finish my 2 spring half marys without injury (stretch & roll, girlfriend - stretch & roll)
2 - April through August - drop the run volume just by a little after the 1/2 marys to give me more time for bike & swim, although I don't want to lose my run fitness altogether; also work on a run/walk system should that be necessary
3 - I will be able to do the 13.1 miles for the HIM by September 7

I've thought it out; I have a plan & will be following the BT 20-week HIM plan starting April 20 (I'm nearly at the starting requirements now, but certainly will be by then).

Anyway. I've said it out loud, so it's real. And even more real when I hit the "Register" button later this month (before the price bump).

To entertain my family & friends & to keep me honest, I've started a blog to follow this loco journey of mine...http://trimomhalf.blogspot.com/

2013-02-07 8:55 AM
in reply to: #4612494

Master
Orlando
enders_shadow - 2013-02-07 8:30 AMOK....so (drum roll please)... my big announcement...I am going to do a my first 1/2 iron-distance race in September. I'm easy-peasy with the run, but that's the easy part. My drama will be the swim and then just getting the bike miles in. But I have 7 months from today and I have a plan.SWIM1 - February, March - continue to get comfy in the water, work on technique (which hopefully adds a wee bit of speed...I'm horrendously slow in the agua right now). I can swim a slow mile in the pool if I need to.2 - April through Summer - take advantage of OWS clinics, training sessions, and even a private lesson if necessary to get over my OWS issues; build the volume to well above the 1.2 so I'm comfortable. Hubby has agreed to pay for classes, clinics, etc. to get me ready for this leg.3 - July - do a 750-swim river sprint tri4 - August - do a 1-mile standalone river swim as a prep for the race5 - I will be able to do the 1.2 miles for the HIM by September 7BIKE1 - February, March start building volume around my running races these months; get the bike outside whenever the weather permits2 - April through Summer - long rides, testing nutrition, etc. - I have a biking colleague who has agreed to come with me for some of these, both to keep me company and push me a bit. Build volume to atleast 60, running a mile or 2 after many of the rides3 - I will be able to do the 58 miles for the HIM by September 7 (yes, the race is a little long on the bike)RUN1 - Finish my 2 spring half marys without injury (stretch & roll, girlfriend - stretch & roll)2 - April through August - drop the run volume just by a little after the 1/2 marys to give me more time for bike & swim, although I don't want to lose my run fitness altogether; also work on a run/walk system should that be necessary3 - I will be able to do the 13.1 miles for the HIM by September 7I've thought it out; I have a plan & will be following the BT 20-week HIM plan starting April 20 (I'm nearly at the starting requirements now, but certainly will be by then).Anyway. I've said it out loud, so it's real. And even more real when I hit the "Register" button later this month (before the price bump).To entertain my family & friends & to keep me honest, I've started a blog to follow this loco journey of mine...http://trimomhalf.blogspot.com/
Congrats, that's exciting!
2013-02-07 8:56 AM
in reply to: #4611746

Master
Orlando
chapfallen - 2013-02-06 3:56 PM

Sounds like a great ride!
2013-02-07 9:00 AM
in reply to: #4612494

Carbondale, Illinois

enders_shadow - 2013-02-07 8:30 AM OK....so (drum roll please)... my big announcement... I am going to do a my first 1/2 iron-distance race in September. 

Great!!  Good Luck!

Workout this morning was 1750 in the pool as a ladder.  I got to swim next to my favorite swimmer...the really young, fit, SLOW guy.  He makes me feel like a dolphin!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64