BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-07-14 8:41 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Wow, sounds like super tough conditions James and Fred!  Congrats on the great finishes!

2014-07-14 8:53 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
I looked at the swims again. Top time was :28 I ranked 22nd OA. I probably was looking at a different view.
2014-07-14 9:27 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by BrotherTri I looked at the swims again. Top time was :28 I ranked 22nd OA. I probably was looking at a different view.

If the top swim was 28 minutes, it must have been some wicked conditions!

2014-07-14 9:27 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
2014-07-14 9:38 AM

User image

Wow, 30% DNF rate? That's insane. Must have been crazy tough out there. Even more impressive finishes Fred and James
2014-07-14 9:40 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jason N

Awesome job Fred.

I won a road race today.  Cat 4/5 34 and under.  Basically 3 laps of a clockwise loop where you climb and ascend 1000' feet each lap over 15 miles...so around 4% during the climbs.  First lap was pretty mellow...nobody wanted to do work, I instigated a 3 man break on the 2nd lap and got a really big gap, and on the third lap I was able to break away half way up the climb as I noticed the other two guys were fried.  TT'd the last 5 miles and got to finish sitting up with a 45ish second lead.  Super fun race as I had a guy dedicated to working for me and he delivered all the way up until I made the break, then didn't contribute to the chase as a good teammate would. 

I'm super happy and I have to say that my chances of getting back into triathlon seriously in the near future are not very good. 

Jason, congrats on the win, that's awesome!  Looks super tough on the Strava post!

2014-07-14 9:41 AM
in reply to: rymac

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by rymac Love all the awesome results flowing in.Swim was cancelled and 5k added due to rip currents.5k: 19:2740k: 1:03:4110k: 39:278th OA.They actually gave me a 2 minute penalty as my shoe popped off during dismount of my bike and did not go back and grab it.Regardless, really happy with my fitness progression this year.

Sucks that the swim was cancelled Ryan.  Great times on the runs and bike though!

2014-07-14 12:08 PM

User image

Seattle

Wellllll, I went and ran the 10000 at Nationals and I didn't get DFL! Well, not technically anyway as there were some DNFs and DNSs. It played nicely into my plan as I knew I couldn't run competitively but I *could* run conservatively and just finish the race. It was a VERY hot race and everyone was pretty slow. We had lots of support with icy sponges, cold water and mist machines and that was critical. 

You might think it would completely suck to go out with National competition, unable to compete but I rather enjoyed myself! I learned a lot and actually felt really strong. Once I am able to get a few more weeks of consistent training and some key workouts in I should be right back where I belong, fitness wise. 

I ended up 10th. 10th in the Nation! Haha...

2014-07-14 12:09 PM
in reply to: rymac

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rymac Love all the awesome results flowing in.Swim was cancelled and 5k added due to rip currents.5k: 19:2740k: 1:03:4110k: 39:278th OA.They actually gave me a 2 minute penalty as my shoe popped off during dismount of my bike and did not go back and grab it.Regardless, really happy with my fitness progression this year.

Great job!!

2014-07-14 12:23 PM

User image

Seattle

Awesome job Fred.

I won a road race today.  Cat 4/5 34 and under.  Basically 3 laps of a clockwise loop where you climb and ascend 1000' feet each lap over 15 miles...so around 4% during the climbs.  First lap was pretty mellow...nobody wanted to do work, I instigated a 3 man break on the 2nd lap and got a really big gap, and on the third lap I was able to break away half way up the climb as I noticed the other two guys were fried.  TT'd the last 5 miles and got to finish sitting up with a 45ish second lead.  Super fun race as I had a guy dedicated to working for me and he delivered all the way up until I made the break, then didn't contribute to the chase as a good teammate would. 

I'm super happy and I have to say that my chances of getting back into triathlon seriously in the near future are not very good. 

That's awesome. Did you do tri's befor you found cycling? I can't remember

2014-07-14 12:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Sounds like some really great racing this weekend!  Congrats, guys!!

2014-07-14 12:35 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
, California

Good job all you guys out there racing!

My front tire ended up with a slow leak mid-ride this weekend.  I finally stopped to deal with it and yeah... apparently I forgot to put my CO2 back in my kit after flying back from New Zealand.

I use my P4 bottle for my flat kit and I've always kept a tiny pump in there as a backup -- this one.  It gets the job done but oh man that takes forever.  Good times.

2014-07-14 12:57 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Originally posted by spudone

Good job all you guys out there racing!

My front tire ended up with a slow leak mid-ride this weekend.  I finally stopped to deal with it and yeah... apparently I forgot to put my CO2 back in my kit after flying back from New Zealand.

I use my P4 bottle for my flat kit and I've always kept a tiny pump in there as a backup -- this one.  It gets the job done but oh man that takes forever.  Good times.

Ha, I've got one of those but never actually used it, and always wondered if it would put anything in after 60 psi or so....  

2014-07-14 2:01 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Awesome job Fred.

I was into tris first, but right off the bat I knew riding was my strong point and started to bike race the the following season after I started tris.  So I've slowly shifted to where I am now...just bike racing.

2014-07-14 2:02 PM

Master
, California

Awesome job Fred.

I was into tris first, but right off the bat I knew riding was my strong point and started to bike race the the following season after I started tris.  So I've slowly shifted to where I am now...just bike racing.

I bet you still enter the Kona lottery

2014-07-14 3:16 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Originally posted by spudone

Awesome job Fred.

I bet you still enter the Kona lottery

LOL...for me to get into the Hawaii lottery, I have to complete Honu 70.3.  So no way of getting into the lottery unless I do at least one tri...and not one I can just wing it.  

The lure is still there though...especially knowing I have decent odds of going back to Kona...well...as long as they keep the Hawaii lottery available.  I'm not holding my breath that there will still be 45 Hawaii slots 3-5 years from now.

2014-07-14 4:00 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Wow - this is one strong group.  Fred, James, Ryan, and Jason congrats on fantastic race results, I am a touch envious, but you guys have all put in great training and it's clearly paying off.  Nicely done everyone.

2014-07-14 5:42 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Elite
Ontario

No spoiler - but another turn of events at the TDF today...

2014-07-14 5:51 PM

User image

Originally posted by GoFaster

And an interesting manufacturer after story to boot......

2014-07-14 7:06 PM

User image

Originally posted by GoFaster

It's just another reminder that bike racing is totally unpredictable.  

2014-07-14 7:51 PM

User image

2014-07-15 5:30 AM

User image

Little Harbour
Just more training for me on the weekend..Trainer Sunday night while watching the ITU Championships form Hamburg, then a really good run yesterday.
2014-07-15 6:22 AM
in reply to: Divemedic

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Divemedic Just more training for me on the weekend..Trainer Sunday night while watching the ITU Championships form Hamburg, then a really good run yesterday.

How are you feeling about the upcoming race?

2014-07-15 7:58 AM

User image

Little Harbour
Actually I'm feeling..excited. My wife thought I was crazy when I told her the other night. This race is going to be my benchmark for my other races.
2014-07-15 8:01 AM
in reply to: Divemedic

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Divemedic Actually I'm feeling..excited. My wife thought I was crazy when I told her the other night. This race is going to be my benchmark for my other races.

Feeling excited and your wife thinking you are crazy sounds about right!  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38738 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74220 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.