BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-06-19 2:12 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!

June 20-21
Randee - Pat Griskus Olympic Triathlon on Saturday
Troy - Gary Bjorkland Half Marathon on Saturday
Melanie - Ironman 70.3 Syracuse on Sunday (bib# 1904)
Adrienne - Taylor Mountain 5 miler on Sunday
Mary -   Cross Country Clash #4 on Wednesday

Disabled List
Erin - knee
Yanti - under the weather

Go racers go!!

Erin and Yanti you are ruining our list - get off the DL!!

2015-06-19 3:35 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Seattle

Go racers! Race fast, take chances

2015-06-19 3:50 PM

User image

Master

Racing Manatees!

June 20-21
Randee - Pat Griskus Olympic Triathlon on Saturday
Troy - Gary Bjorkland Half Marathon on Saturday
Melanie - Ironman 70.3 Syracuse on Sunday (bib# 1904)
Adrienne - Taylor Mountain 5 miler on Sunday
Mary -   Cross Country Clash #4 on Wednesday

Disabled List
Erin - knee

Goooooooo Racey Racers.

DL'ers, stop it.

2015-06-19 3:51 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Proof of life/update post.

Got results back on second biopsy attempt for my mother.  B-cell lymphoma - which, though aggressive, is a gajillion times better than recurrent/metastatic lung, breast or colon.  Treatment probably to start late next week, although it will depend on getting a few more esoteric test results back on the biopsy first. 

We ship the kids back tomorrow and follow on Wednesday.  Really looking forward to seeing friends and family (and getting on the ocean).

What's a weird feeling is that I'm carrying a ton of fitness but have no race on the books - feels like I'm a loaded gun with no target! 

As I'm writing, I just got a text saying it's actually acute lymphoblastic leukemia.  Potentially much more treatable.  She's been admitted and starts treatment tonight for induction and hopefully remission, so they can then move to a transplant (and - fingers crossed - a cure, although can't be sure of that yet by any means).

Whooooo-eeeeeeee, a bit of a roller coaster, this, but going in a better direction than feared, for sure.

Matt

PS - good luck to our racers this weekend!
M

Glad to hear it is treatable, Matt.  Keeping good thoughts for you all.  

Kid shippin'.  I like it 

2015-06-20 5:52 AM

User image

Melon Presser

GO RANDEETEE!!!
GO MY PRECIOUS TROY OZ!!!
GO PEACH MELBO!!!
GO SALTY!!!
GO HAPPYSTONED!!!

Dagnabbit NyNy ... nothing gets by you, does it? I was hoping to to sneak by unnoticed! But thanks and {MELON PRESS} to you and to Goody too.

Disabled List
Erin - knee

2015-06-21 2:40 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Checking on Melanie in Syracuse.  Not to shock anyone but the Live Tracker is a mess (again).  They have only one of three bike splits listed (the first one) and one of three running splits listed (also the first one).  It's hard to know where she is or what is going on.  I'm not sure when her wave started but even if it was at 8:30, that's 7 hours and the last update was at a race time of 5:37:36 :-(

I just checked, she was in Wave 17, the last wave, which was scheduled to start at 8:04.

2015-06-21 3:28 PM
in reply to: #5116906

User image

Denver, CO
She finished!!!!!! :-) The tracker had me worried when it shows the T1 time but then nothing, but I just checked back in and there was a final run time. YAY MELANIE!!!!!
2015-06-21 3:51 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by laffinrock She finished!!!!!! :-) The tracker had me worried when it shows the T1 time but then nothing, but I just checked back in and there was a final run time. YAY MELANIE!!!!!

Great news!  The info on the tracker still doesn't make sense but the SHE FINISHED part is AWESOME!

2015-06-21 3:52 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by laffinrock She finished!!!!!! :-) The tracker had me worried when it shows the T1 time but then nothing, but I just checked back in and there was a final run time. YAY MELANIE!!!!!

Great news!  The info on the tracker still doesn't make sense but the SHE FINISHED part is AWESOME!

Apparently there has been some rain in Syracuse today and that may have affected the timing information that we are seeing right now.

2015-06-21 4:40 PM
in reply to: #5123860

User image

Denver, CO
Hopefully the rain was the refreshing kind, not the makes-it-totally-miserable kind! If I'm seeing things right, her time was around 6:17
2015-06-21 4:44 PM

User image

Master

Woot!  Way to go Melanie!!

2015-06-21 6:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by laffinrock

Hopefully the rain was the refreshing kind, not the makes-it-totally-miserable kind! If I'm seeing things right, her time was around 6:17
great job Melanie, well done
2015-06-21 6:57 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Oh, this isn't good -- 

Rain Cuts Ironman 70.3 Syracuse Short

http://www.twcnews.com/nys/central-ny/news/2015/06/21/2015-ironman-syracuse.html

2015-06-21 7:18 PM
in reply to: #5123868

User image

Denver, CO
Guess it was the miserable kind of rain. It looks like she finished about 30 minutes before they called it. Maybe all that work she's been doing in Master's helped her swim to the finish. :-D

That really sucks for those who weren't allowed to finish.
2015-06-22 9:19 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by amd723

Got results back on second biopsy attempt for my mother.  B-cell lymphoma - which, though aggressive, is a gajillion times better than recurrent/metastatic lung, breast or colon.  Treatment probably to start late next week, although it will depend on getting a few more esoteric test results back on the biopsy first. 

We ship the kids back tomorrow and follow on Wednesday.  Really looking forward to seeing friends and family (and getting on the ocean).

What's a weird feeling is that I'm carrying a ton of fitness but have no race on the books - feels like I'm a loaded gun with no target! 

As I'm writing, I just got a text saying it's actually acute lymphoblastic leukemia.  Potentially much more treatable.  She's been admitted and starts treatment tonight for induction and hopefully remission, so they can then move to a transplant (and - fingers crossed - a cure, although can't be sure of that yet by any means).

Whooooo-eeeeeeee, a bit of a roller coaster, this, but going in a better direction than feared, for sure.

Matt

M

So glad to hear that out of the potential conditions, she has the one that is probably the most treatable.  

So glad to hear too, hear hear!

Your McManatee Mom is in my prayers every day until further notice. Strength, healing, good tolerance of the regimen and all that!

2015-06-22 9:22 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by laffinrock Guess it was the miserable kind of rain. It looks like she finished about 30 minutes before they called it. Maybe all that work she's been doing in Master's helped her swim to the finish. :-D That really sucks for those who weren't allowed to finish.

Ugh, indeed. But whattagal Peach Melbo ... LAST WAVE (meaning most and worst of weather) and still dominated that all-legs-open-water triathlon!

2015-06-22 9:34 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by laffinrock Guess it was the miserable kind of rain. It looks like she finished about 30 minutes before they called it. Maybe all that work she's been doing in Master's helped her swim to the finish. :-D That really sucks for those who weren't allowed to finish.

Sadly, that was me.  I was on my way back from the first loop when another racer told me they were turning folks back who were just starting their first loop and not letting those who were preparing to go out on the 2nd loop to continue.  Hearing that, I pushed the last whatever (1.5-2 miles?) distance back to the finish.  Hey, why not, I don't have 6 more miles to run now, LOL. 

Regarding my performance: Yesterday I was pretty happy, all things considered.  I know I would've finished my first 70.3 had the race not been shortened because of the weather.  Today I am less so, looking at the 'official' results.  I was happy with my swim time but not with the bike and the run time they had for me because the run isn't indicative of what my total pace would've been and the 'estimated' finish time they gave me is also not indicative of what the true result would've been.  I had a few issues on the bike and was perhaps too conservative, focusing on the goal of being able to finish and not conk out.  But all that shall be revealed in what will surely be a wordy RR.

As far as their decision to call the race: I'm totally fine with that.  I understand the need for safety of not only the athletes but the volunteers and staff.  They stopped the race because of storms (the lightning and thunder variety), not just the very heavy rain that came with it.

Edited by melbo55 2015-06-22 9:34 AM
2015-06-22 9:39 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Pennsylvania

Matt

M

That is very hopeful, positive news for your mom. Still keeping her and your family in my thoughts.  Enjoy your vacation with her!

2015-06-22 9:48 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Sadly, that was me.  I was on my way back from the first loop when another racer told me they were turning folks back who were just starting their first loop and not letting those who were preparing to go out on the 2nd loop to continue.  Hearing that, I pushed the last whatever (1.5-2 miles?) distance back to the finish.  Hey, why not, I don't have 6 more miles to run now, LOL. 

Regarding my performance: Yesterday I was pretty happy, all things considered.  I know I would've finished my first 70.3 had the race not been shortened because of the weather.  Today I am less so, looking at the 'official' results.  I was happy with my swim time but not with the bike and the run time they had for me because the run isn't indicative of what my total pace would've been and the 'estimated' finish time they gave me is also not indicative of what the true result would've been.  I had a few issues on the bike and was perhaps too conservative, focusing on the goal of being able to finish and not conk out.  But all that shall be revealed in what will surely be a wordy RR.

As far as their decision to call the race: I'm totally fine with that.  I understand the need for safety of not only the athletes but the volunteers and staff.  They stopped the race because of storms (the lightning and thunder variety), not just the very heavy rain that came with it.

Congratulations!  You completed what you were allowed to and of course you'd have finished the second lap had you been allowed to.  We all know that!  you did great -- way under the cutoff times.  It's great that you got this under your belt!

2015-06-22 10:22 AM

User image

Seattle

I can't wait to read your report. It is a bummer to have a bit of an asterisk associated with your race buuuuuut you have the advantage of getting a solid idea of how to execute your next one AND you'll have an opportunity to have both a 70.3 PR when you do annnnd a 6x.x pr that most people won't ever get it's win win!
2015-06-22 10:29 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I can't wait to read your report. It is a bummer to have a bit of an asterisk associated with your race buuuuuut you have the advantage of getting a solid idea of how to execute your next one AND you'll have an opportunity to have both a 70.3 PR when you do annnnd a 6x.x pr that most people won't ever get it's win win!

I agree with Salty - you now know what you need to do to improve and you did a great job!!  Sooooo, when's your next one? Maybe you and Steve can do a revenge one together.  

2015-06-22 10:42 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Congratulations!  You completed what you were allowed to and of course you'd have finished the second lap had you been allowed to.  We all know that!  you did great -- way under the cutoff times.  It's great that you got this under your belt!

I whole heatedly agree!!

2015-06-22 10:59 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Congrats on getting through some tough conditions on your first HIM.  I know how disappointing a weather shortened race can be but it will make the next one all the sweeter.   Looking forward to hearing the details.

2015-06-22 11:02 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

I whole heatedly agree!!

Is that a florida thing?

2015-06-22 11:07 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
Checking in after a week on vacation. I tried to catch up quickly, lots going on!

Congrats to Melanie, Robin, Randee and Steve on their 70.3s!!! Steve, I know you didn't have the race you'd hoped for, but you showed impressive resolve by fighting to the finish! Impressive! Congrats also to all of our other races the past two weekends!!

Edit: Melanie even though you didn't get to finish, there's no doubt you were going to! Way to execute a good plan!!

Matt - glad to hear your mom's prognosis is better than expected. Continued thoughts and prayers.

My swim meet went well on Sunday, but man, that was a whole nother type of pain. I was wiped afterwards from only 350 meters of swimming!

Now brace yourselves, vacation pictures are coming.

lots more at my flickr page for you stalker types https://www.flickr.com/photos/seanhale/

Edited by Jet Black 2015-06-22 11:12 AM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 68399 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29145 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12300 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 38641 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67871 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.