BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-11-16 8:32 AM
in reply to: #3903829

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed

velcromom - 2011-11-16 8:00 AM HHHHmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........Let's see.   I think I'll knock out a quick and easy one on Sunday.   I'm number 769, Jeff is 2592.  Send good, fast, dry , cool thoughts aour way, please!

Good luck, Linda & Jeff!!  With the Steelers on a bye week I'll have no distractions to keep from stalking y'all.

2011-11-16 8:40 AM
in reply to: #3903928

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
RoniS - 2011-11-16 9:19 AM
sdalessio - 2011-11-16 5:53 AM
SSMinnow - 2011-11-16 5:47 AM

Hi Ho Peeps!  It's that time again.  Who is committed to bringing it home this weekend?  With so many PRs the last few weeks the pressure is on. Give us your race scoop!

And for the rest of us, what's the one thing you've been doing during the OS that has helped keep you going, energized you or rocked your world?  A new eating plan? a favorite new sport?....lay it on us!

I suppose you could say I have a little race this Saturday.  I'm certainly not looking for a PR just survival.  I really have no idea what to expect.

Plan A: First 15 miles - go easy on the AT trail and come off the mts. with my legs fresh. Next 26 miles - run a marathon in b/t 4:30 and 5 hrs. Last 8 miles - survive the last leg and cross the finish line before the cut off.  Before dark would be golden.

Plan B: Get from the start line to the finish line anyway I can.  Have some fun along the way.

Good luck racers.  I'll be thinking about Linda and Jeff while I'm on the couch Sunday.  :-)

A PR is guaranteed, Sam! That's the great thing about a new distance. I am so excited to hear all about it! You've got a great plan... you've done some amazing training... just remember perpetual forward progress. You are going to do great! Do they have tracking for JFK?

I couldn't find anything on tracking.  Kids are staying with grandparents so I'll be out there on my bike riding between stops.  They seem to be rather strict on where you can watch, which is surprising since they're running on park owned land.

2011-11-16 8:41 AM
in reply to: #3903764

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
SSMinnow - 2011-11-16 6:47 AM

Hi Ho Peeps!  It's that time again.  Who is committed to bringing it home this weekend?  With so many PRs the last few weeks the pressure is on. Give us your race scoop!

And for the rest of us, what's the one thing you've been doing during the OS that has helped keep you going, energized you or rocked your world?  A new eating plan? a favorite new sport?....lay it on us!

Like Andy, I'm not so sure I had an "on-season."  But I am starting to pickup my run mileage again.  I'm just focusing on running for the rest of this year as it is by far my weakest discipline.  I might could even lose some weight if they'd close that #%&$ Chick-fil-A near my office.

2011-11-16 9:13 AM
in reply to: #3903889

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
sdalessio - 2011-11-16 7:53 AM

I suppose you could say I have a little race this Saturday.  I'm certainly not looking for a PR just survival.  I really have no idea what to expect.

Plan A: First 15 miles - go easy on the AT trail and come off the mts. with my legs fresh. Next 26 miles - run a marathon in b/t 4:30 and 5 hrs. Last 8 miles - survive the last leg and cross the finish line before the cut off.  Before dark would be golden.

Plan B: Get from the start line to the finish line anyway I can.  Have some fun along the way.

Good luck racers.  I'll be thinking about Linda and Jeff while I'm on the couch Sunday.  :-)

GO SAM!

2011-11-16 9:14 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

velcromom - 2011-11-16 7:00 AM HHHHmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........Let's see.   I think I'll knock out a quick and easy one on Sunday.   I'm number 769, Jeff is 2592.  Send good, fast, dry , cool thoughts aour way, please!

You got a race or something?  What is it? A 5k?

2011-11-16 9:17 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

I've been having a blast finding every local or small town 10K and doing them.  I've never been much of a short distance runner so this is an incredibly good challenge for me.  

2011-11-16 9:47 AM
in reply to: #3904020

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
SSMinnow - 2011-11-16 9:17 AM

I've been having a blast finding every local or small town 10K and doing them.  I've never been much of a short distance runner so this is an incredibly good challenge for me.  

Ah, our phantom racer makes an admission...

2011-11-16 10:33 AM
in reply to: #3903934

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
RoniS - 2011-11-16 9:22 AM

velcromom - 2011-11-16 5:00 AM HHHHmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........Let's see.   I think I'll knock out a quick and easy one on Sunday.   I'm number 769, Jeff is 2592.  Send good, fast, dry , cool thoughts aour way, please!

Thoughts sent your way! GO 769!!! GO 2592!!! Have a great race, Linda!

Great new Avatar Roni

2011-11-16 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Master
Maryland
2011-11-16 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3904186

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Seems unlikely to me - especially since a number of the deaths were from experienced folks some wearing wetsuits...  I suppose I could make a theory and get it published too if I worked for WaPo....  as I pointed out somewhere else - the real question is "so what?"  are we going to remove the swim from tri's?  Everyone who signs up knows there is a risk...  seems like someone trying to gin up controversy where there is none...

2011-11-16 11:50 AM

User image

Master
SSMinnow - 2011-11-16 3:47 AM

Running a trail half marathon Saturday. Hoping to finish on my feet!! Steve threw down the challenge to do this race, and I bit at it. Have since run much of the course and know it will be a tough day. Hoping for no snow and no rolled ankles. No biggie if I get the former, happy girl if I get the latter!

As for OS, I've been trying to get back the run I lost when I hurt my hamstring. I've been running every day as my own little personal challenge -- unless I get sick or injured I'll keep that up awhile longer. I've also been meeting one of my goals of running with friends, which has been awesome. Although that has led me to the trails much more often, which then led me to this race this weekend, yikes!! Seriously, though, have also been out on the trails trying to find a place where I am doing more than just surviving the hills. Just when I think I'm getting there, Steve finds bigger hills for me. Not sure if I should thank him or curse him, but I'm not injured and I feel stronger, so I think it's all good!!

Get a piece of it, racers! Those going the distance... and I mean THE distance (Linda and Sam!)... Roni is right: FORWARD PROGRESS. No matter what the day delivers, every step forward is a step closer to the end.

2011-11-16 11:54 AM
in reply to: #3904292

User image

Master
ashort33 - 2011-11-16 9:45 AM

Seems unlikely to me - especially since a number of the deaths were from experienced folks some wearing wetsuits...  I suppose I could make a theory and get it published too if I worked for WaPo....  as I pointed out somewhere else - the real question is "so what?"  are we going to remove the swim from tri's?  Everyone who signs up knows there is a risk...  seems like someone trying to gin up controversy where there is none...

I think the article brings up some valid points, even if just to have races address the fact that one can be prone to panic in the swim, and that it might be worth it to consider different start options. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that when I finished the swim in my IM, I felt a certain sense of relief that the chances I'd hug my family at the end of the day went up dramatically. It is scary being in a washing machine of bodies -- particularly when most of them have 50-100 pounds on me (and more on our little twins!). It's true that it's much harder to stop and collect yourself during the swim like you can in a run. I realize the risks I take doing this, of course, but have decided that the risk is OK for me. I give props to those who can decide the risk is NOT OK for them!!

2011-11-16 12:38 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Just got asked to be the  the lead bike for the runners of the Skinny Turkey Half Marathon on Thanksgiving morning. It goes through my neighborhood. This sounds like fun!
2011-11-16 12:43 PM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

First off .....  GODSPEED TO ALL OUR LONNNNNGGGGGG DISTANCE RACERS THIS WEEKEND.  A couple of IM's and a 50 miler....... F'N AWESOME! I will be watching stalking from afar where possible (Tony, we expect updates Saturday!!!)  ....   REPRESENT!!!

I have the CX State Championships this Sunday.  The goal is to survive and hang within the main pack since all the big dogs will be out to play this weekend.  If I can score some points for the season series (top 20), I will be very happy because it means that I scored points in all my CX races this season.  (Tony, you gotta finish to get points......  Foot in mouth)  

OS still equals the EN Outseason for me.  Yup Johnny-boy, no pool work again for me this winter except for when I am looking for that ultimate recovery swim!  However, what I miss in the pool will be made up for on the bike.  Due to my significant bike racing plans and commitments for next year, I have a MAJOR bike focus for this OS .  I got a little re-work of the normal OS plan from the boys that ended up including a step up of the bike intervals intensity and an extra bike session, but a little shorter run distances for each week.  

Minnow ......  So the Badgers were the #1 party school when you went to School there.  Now they are like #13 or #17 depending on the poll you want to look at.  I think you need to get down to campus and do some tutoring this OS!!!

2011-11-16 2:07 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

GOOD LUCK LINDA, JEFF AND SAM!!!!    GO GO GO!!!

Me, I'll be trying not to fall off a borrowed cx bike on Sunday.  Should provide some good entertainment for the crowd.

OS -yhea I got nothing.  Getting up and out in the cold and dark is not really my thing. My official training calendar doesn't start until 2012 so I'll keep playing hooky until then.  

Doug - I saw that new FS Series weekend.  I won a free entrance into the sprint that weekend so I'll see you down there.  Let me know if you need a swim partner for FL training.  I don't think I could hang with you for the bike or run but I love open water swimming and am always looking for someone to swim with.  Maybe we'll even drag Linda out so we can see her feet swim away from us in the first 20 seconds. 

2011-11-16 2:37 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC
Okay, so my parents and I are huge James Taylor fans.  Weel, the other day my mom read an article that he is going to play Bob Crachit in A Christmas Carol is Stockbridge, MA in December.  My parents called to see about tix and we got 3 for opening night which includes an after performance cast party with James Taylor!!!  I am so excited.  I just have to figure out a way to tell my husband I am flying up to Massachusetts that weekend.

Edited by tricrazy 2011-11-16 2:37 PM

2011-11-16 2:53 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Well gang here I am a usual a little behind everyones conversations.

Good luck to all our racers this weekend. Sounds like we have some looooong races going on.

No Racing for me. I am still in the "off season" doing cross training on rowers, treadmills, bikes, Jacobs ladders, resistance training. I think it is all the seminars I have been doing that has kept me energized and going while I rest in the off season.  Our tri group here is back in the pool now and it's great.I like the water even though some of this group might think I'm a little off, liking swimming so much.

We were talking in my business networking group about triathlons this morning and it would appear that we are now going to have a business networking tri group here next year.  Also I did a presentation last night about the benefits of cross training to a group of newbie runners and had a lot of interest in triathlons. It looks like I'll have another great beginner triathlon clinic to run in the spring.

"I love this sport"

Sugar: way to go on trying the cyclocross. Good luck. No over the handle bars aerobatics please. If there are sent pics though

2011-11-16 3:01 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
very excited form you sam and linda!  very cool jayne.
2011-11-16 3:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

velcromom - 2011-11-16 8:00 AM HHHHmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........Let's see.   I think I'll knock out a quick and easy one on Sunday.   I'm number 769, Jeff is 2592.  Send good, fast, dry , cool thoughts our way, please!

AWESOME.  Can't wait to hear all about it.  Have a great race and REPRESENT.

2011-11-16 3:10 PM
in reply to: #3904530

User image

Elite
Raleigh

tricrazy - 2011-11-16 3:37 PM Okay, so my parents and I are huge James Taylor fans.  Weel, the other day my mom read an article that he is going to play Bob Crachit in A Christmas Carol is Stockbridge, MA in December.  My parents called to see about tix and we got 3 for opening night which includes an after performance cast party with James Taylor!!!  I am so excited.  I just have to figure out a way to tell my husband I am flying up to Massachusetts that weekend.

Cool. My wife and I saw him and Carol King last year in DC. It was awesome. His voice is still the same.

2011-11-16 3:12 PM
in reply to: #3904584

Master
Charlotte, NC
DougRob - 2011-11-16 4:10 PM

tricrazy - 2011-11-16 3:37 PM Okay, so my parents and I are huge James Taylor fans.  Weel, the other day my mom read an article that he is going to play Bob Crachit in A Christmas Carol is Stockbridge, MA in December.  My parents called to see about tix and we got 3 for opening night which includes an after performance cast party with James Taylor!!!  I am so excited.  I just have to figure out a way to tell my husband I am flying up to Massachusetts that weekend.

Cool. My wife and I saw him and Carol King last year in DC. It was awesome. His voice is still the same.

I saw the two of them in Charlotte last year also.

2011-11-16 3:37 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
SSMinnow - 2011-11-16 3:47 AM

Super excited for the racing IM couple.  Linda and Jeff, have a great race!

Sam, knock it out of the park!  We will be rooting for you!

Cross racers, you guys/gals are just crazy.  Have fun out there and get dirty!

Kyla, good luck on your monster trail HM.  Careful those ankles!

Birdy, get well soon!

Hope I didn't miss anyone...

Not sure I call this swim "project" rocking my world, but it's been good so far.  Ping pong was a blast last weekend.  Kathy is out scouting new locations for us to play...crazy girl, if we had the room, I'd get home to find a olympic sized tennis table in the living room. 

2011-11-16 6:49 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
SSMinnow - 2011-11-16 8:47 AM

No racing here.  Good luck to Sam, Linda, Kyla and to those of you trying crazier things - Tracy, Dino and Tony.

OS? I'm still using Windows Vista.  Actually, I'm trying to up my running levels to 50 km/week and my strategy is to sign up for about a race a month - HM or 10k or 10mile.  I will likely skip December, but want to hit a race a month between now and June.

One of my favorite JT lines:  "...and as the moon rises he sits by his fire, thinking about women and glasses of beer..."

2011-11-17 4:07 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
SSMinnow - 2011-11-16 8:47 PM

Go Linda and Sam!!! Nothing for me, it feels a it like the off ( out!) season for me too, not much goes on for the Summer apart from mini-sprints because it's too hot and humid; my next Oly is in March so that gives a chance to train on the bike trainer.
2011-11-17 4:07 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
SSMinnow - 2011-11-16 8:47 PM

Go Linda and Sam!!! Nothing for me, it feels a it like the off ( out!) season for me too, not much goes on for the Summer apart from mini-sprints because it's too hot and humid; my next Oly is in March so that gives a chance to train on the bike trainer.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298