BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-11-23 6:40 AM
in reply to: #3912683

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed
SSMinnow - 2011-11-23 7:52 AM

Yoo-Hoo Peeps!  Tomorrow's the big day---who's toeing the line before the turkey?  If you have a special strategy for your 5K, 10k or 13k (Undecided), lay it on us!

If you're lazing around just waiting to get a muffin top at least reflect on those things you're most grateful for and share them!

And if you want to answer both questions, go for it!

No T-day here in Japan, but I have another HM on Sunday.   The course is supposed to be flat and fast.  The temps are going to be on the low side - 40F or so and I'm hoping the winds will be calm (probably wishful thinking).   I'm a few pounds lighter than when I did the race 4 weeks ago (back to my racing weight of 60 kg) and think that might help me knock off another minute .   I'm also going to do the race without my HRM - should be interesting.

And.....there is so much to be grateful for....I'll save that for another day.

2011-11-23 6:44 AM
in reply to: #3912728

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
dcon - 2011-11-23 6:40 AM
SSMinnow - 2011-11-23 7:52 AM

Yoo-Hoo Peeps!  Tomorrow's the big day---who's toeing the line before the turkey?  If you have a special strategy for your 5K, 10k or 13k (Undecided), lay it on us!

If you're lazing around just waiting to get a muffin top at least reflect on those things you're most grateful for and share them!

No T-day here in Japan, but I have another HM on Sunday.   The course is supposed to be flat and fast.  The temps are going to be on the low side - 40F or so and I'm hoping the winds will be calm (probably wishful thinking).   I'm a few pounds lighter than when I did the race 4 weeks ago (back to my racing weight of 60 kg) and think that might help me knock off another minute .   I'm also going to do the race without my HRM - should be interesting.

And.....there is so much to be grateful for....I'll save that for another day.

Why no HRM?  Why not wear it and never look at it until the end so you have some good data?

Good luck!

2011-11-23 7:42 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2011-11-23 5:52 AM

No racing for me this weekend. 

My strategy for 5/10k is to start at the front.  I'm fast enough (or was) to start up front and not be in the way too much, the super fast folks are going to be there also and they'll rocket off the front so you won't be in their way.  The people that are mildly faster than you will catch up and pass at one point.  But up front you have the course to yourself and don't have to deal with too much crowding.

Another tip is to just let that 13/14 year old kid go, he/she might burn out but either way he/she is running too fast for you to catch up to.

Finally when I get near the end of the race I pick out someone in the last 1/2 mile II want to beat and do it.  Make sure it isn't someone moving backwards.  I might not catch them but it helps keep me focused on running hard through the finishline.

Good luck everyone racing this weekend and have a great Thanksgiving.

2011-11-23 7:57 AM
in reply to: #3911526

User image

badgerintx - 2011-11-22 10:45 AM

Just a Public Service Announcement to remind everybody to hug your Loved ones this Thanksgiving .....

Fellow Endurance Nation  Athlete, one of the founding members and from what I understand in absolute great shape!  So sad leaving 2 (9 and 6) young kids!  

Edited to add a link to this article from his bride ......  simply unbelievable!  

Wow, that is heartbreaking. So sorry to hear this.

Today's hugs will be a little tighter and longer.

2011-11-23 8:00 AM

User image

Champion
marietta

good luck racing peeps.  13.1 for me tomorrow.  short stuff and i talked about a very aggressive plan.  so if i blow early i'll phone it in and talk smack to those around me. 

i'm grateful for fall and winter races because the odds of getting a long sleeve tech shirt are good.  got a cool one for this race.  grateful for lots more stuff too... more on that later. 

2011-11-23 8:03 AM

User image

We (the whole family) are running our local Turkey Trot tomorrow - it's a tradition.  We only do the mile race, but we are out there doing it as a family.  This may be the last year we do the mile,  the kids are asking to move up to the 8k next year...we'll see.

What am I most grateful for....no question, my family.  They are my world.

2011-11-23 8:07 AM
in reply to: #3912818

User image

dalessit - 2011-11-23 8:42 AM

My strategy for 5/10k is to start at the front.  I'm fast enough (or was) to start up front and not be in the way too much, the super fast folks are going to be there also and they'll rocket off the front so you won't be in their way.  The people that are mildly faster than you will catch up and pass at one point.  But up front you have the course to yourself and don't have to deal with too much crowding.

Another tip is to just let that 13/14 year old kid go, he/she might burn out but either way he/she is running too fast for you to catch up to.

Finally when I get near the end of the race I pick out someone in the last 1/2 mile II want to beat and do it.  Make sure it isn't someone moving backwards.  I might not catch them but it helps keep me focused on running hard through the finishline.

Tony, I love this strategy. 

Think I'll talk to my daughter about using this tomorrow in our race.   She'll be all over it, except the part about letting the 13/14 yr old go.  If it's close she's going to hammer it to win  Smile   BTW - my daughter is 7.

2011-11-23 8:08 AM
in reply to: #3912689

User image

SSMinnow - 2011-11-23 5:59 AM
SSMinnow - 2011-11-23 4:52 AM

I'm starting!  I'm running the Berbee Derby 10K.  I haven't been able to run it since '07 due to having a Fall injury every single year since then. This is a race I worked on developing and it has grown to almost 7,000 people.  I am beyond psyched just to toe the line with so many people I know.  It is awesome to watch whole families show up where at least one member has never challenged themselves this way before.  Watching them at the finish line is GOLDEN. So jubiliant and proud. 

In '07, my time was 47:16 and this was back when I actually called myself a runner and not a triathlete.  I want to beat that time.  I have yet to do it in my last three 10K attempts since MOO, but I am going to give it my best shot!

Can't wait to see your smoking time Suzy.  Somehow I have a feeling you will blow that 47 away.

Have fun out there.

2011-11-23 8:13 AM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Good luck Dan & John on those halfs!

Burn up those courses

2011-11-23 8:19 AM
in reply to: #3912894

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Havin'Fun - 2011-11-23 9:07 AM
dalessit - 2011-11-23 8:42 AM

Tony, I love this strategy. 

Think I'll talk to my daughter about using this tomorrow in our race.   She'll be all over it, except the part about letting the 13/14 yr old go.  If it's close she's going to hammer it to win  Smile   BTW - my daughter is 7.

LOL, yeah nothing like running a PR pace and have a kid wearing non-running shoes regular shorts and a t-shirt drop you like a bad habbit.

2011-11-23 8:23 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

I am another Turkey Trotter tomorrow.  I had been planing on the Dallas 8 mile trot, but after thinking about it, decided to to do a 5k that is going off 5 miles from the house.   While the 8 miles is really a do-able distance for me (it wasn't when I put it on the schedule) - the hour to get downtown, the hour to park, etc. and the hour back home just ended up being unacceptable "time" overhead for a race on a holiday.  My 5k plan this time is to warm up with a couple of miles easy and then just go!  We will see what the clock says when it is over.

Oh yeah, Tony I 105% agree about letting the 13yo go - trying to follow is a recipe for blowing up a bit further down the road...

2011-11-23 8:47 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

Hi gang - no racing for me this weekend.  I hope to motivate the family to get out for a family "turkey trot" around the neighborhood.  I'm itching to get back on the road.  Legs feel great today.

No real strategy for the shorter races.  One thing - I suppose for the 5ks I get in a few miles for warmup so I am ready to go at the start.  Then go hard til I can go no more.  If the finish line is fuzzy and it feels like all of oxygen is leaving your body at the end then it was a good race.

This year in particular I'm glad my Dad has hung around for another holiday season.  He's pretty much a shell of the person he was but he seems happy and grateful to be around so that makes all of us happy.  I find that my list is so long of things to be grateful for.  Our family has so much of everything - love, family, material possessions, health, food, shelter, great friends and this great group of BT slackers Tongue out that I feel guilty some days. 

Good luck racers and have a wonderful meal with family and friends.  Savor the cool breeze on your cheeks and that feeling of being alive and well as the blood pumps through your veins on race morning.

Cheers!

2011-11-23 8:53 AM
in reply to: #3912986

User image

Champion
marietta
sdalessio - 2011-11-23 9:47 AM

no racing for me this weekend.  

lazy.

2011-11-23 8:58 AM
in reply to: #3912986

User image

Champion
marietta

Savor the cool breeze on your cheeks  

cool?  my farts are warm.

hahahhahahahaha.  

2011-11-23 8:58 AM
in reply to: #3913000

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
fattyfatfat - 2011-11-23 8:53 AM

no racing for me this weekend.  

lazy.

Damn skippy and I'm eating a whole pie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2011-11-23 9:05 AM
in reply to: #3912858

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
fattyfatfat - 2011-11-23 8:00 AM

good luck racing peeps.  13.1 for me tomorrow.  short stuff and i talked about a very aggressive plan.  so if i blow early i'll phone it in and talk smack to those around me. 

i'm grateful for fall and winter races because the odds of getting a long sleeve tech shirt are good.  got a cool one for this race.  grateful for lots more stuff too... more on that later. 

Woah!!  I thought this was another 13K, not 13.1m. In that case, go the same pace, but plan to puke three times instead of two at the finish line.

Like you, I am going to need to go out harder at the start to get the time I want.  It'll be a good lesson for both of us.  And I do plan to go hard enough to puke at least once.  It'll make more room for the turkey!

2011-11-23 9:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB

No racing for me this holiday season.  My 5/10k strategy is "all in" - I've blown up a bunch of times keeping up with the kids.  I also just race for the fun and fellowship.  If I blow up - no big deal.  If its a good day and I PR - icing!

Thankful for so much this year but recently just to be alive, healthy and home with family.  The military life, at times, can be rough on holidays.  Spent countless birthdays, anniversaries and entire fall holiday seasons away from home and family.   Really happy to be at home this year.

Like Sam put it, I feel guilty sometimes when things are going so great.  I give back as often as I can and attempt to share my good fortune with those in need.

Big THANKS to the entire MG You guys/gals are AWESOME and your support, advice and spirit are an inspiration to me every single day.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  Race hard and stay safe!

Edited by Scalded_Dawg 2011-11-23 9:33 AM
2011-11-23 9:50 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
SSMinnow - 2011-11-23 2:52 AM

We're driving home to MT today and going to run a 5k Turkey Trot tomorrow morning. It benefits the local food bank, and for every pound of food you bring they shave 10" off your time. Soooo, my race strategy is to bring a ton of food!

I am most grateful for my family and friends, including this most awesome MG! I'm also very grateful for the ability to do the crazy things I do.

Good luck and have fun to all the racers! Have a fantastic holiday, dear friends!!!

2011-11-23 10:00 AM

User image

Master
Maryland

Happy Thanksgivng MG friends!!

2011-11-23 10:59 AM
in reply to: #3913028

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2011-11-23 10:05 AM
fattyfatfat - 2011-11-23 8:00 AM

Woah!!  I thought this was another 13K, not 13.1m. In that case, go the same pace, but plan to puke three times instead of two at the finish line.

Like you, I am going to need to go out harder at the start to get the time I want.  It'll be a good lesson for both of us.  And I do plan to go hard enough to puke at least once.  It'll make more room for the turkey!

yeah.. i kinda wondered about your plan.  but who am i to question. that sure would have been a big pr though! 

2011-11-23 11:16 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

To the MG members that have sent me their information regarding the pens:.....

The PENS ARE DONE!!!! I will post some pics tonight and begin shipping them Friday!

2011-11-23 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

No racing here.  Good luck to all our Turkey Trotters, REPRESENT and try not be come a running trotter!  

As I ponder the growth of my muffin top, I realize even more after the events of last weekend that I am grateful for lots  ......  great family, great kids, great health, great friends (including this MG), a decent job that I actually like, plenty of motivation to engage life to its fullest, and some awesome bikes in my stable!  

Have a great Turkey Day everybody.  And to our Canuck Friends up north, eat some Turkey anyway!!!   

2011-11-23 1:36 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Sort of kind of...... for the past few years a large group of friends have gotten together in the morning and had our own little Turkey Trot of biking or running or walking on the local trail.  Now the kids are older and most of the non-triathlon women have bikes so the group has extended the outting to a full hour.  I'll be one of the few still running and considering I've done one 4 mile run since Canada this should be interesting.  To be honest, I'm sure it'll feel great to be running and Friday is when I'll pay for my lack of exercise.

HAPPY TURKEY DAY EVERYONE!!!   LOTS OF LOVE FOR THE WHOLE GROUP.  STAY SAFE.

2011-11-23 1:50 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
SSMinnow - 2011-11-23 2:52 AM

No toe-ing the line, just Heel-ing (healing) my little foot/heel issue.  Today was the first day running after 3 days off and I felt very good...

Good luck to all of you racing fools!!!   Hopeful for all of you to have fun, set some new pr's, and then fill those tummies with well deserved yumminess.

Thankful for the simple things, like my family's health, a warm place to sleep and never worrying about having to go hungry. 

Happy Thanksgiving week to all!!! 

2011-11-23 3:22 PM
in reply to: #3913412

User image

Champion
marietta

badgerintx - 2011-11-23 2:32 PM And to our Canuck Friends up north, eat some Turkey anyway!!!   

vote here

and note who is posting.. 5th and 6th comment.  ha!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298