Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2009-01-23 4:42 PM
in reply to: #1856701

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: swbkrun's group- CLOSED

Hey everyone!  I am sorry I have been missing the past week or so but I have been trying to keep busy at work so I can keep my job.  Anyway, I am still catching up on some posts but it looks as if everyone is doing well.     

Kim, I wouldn't worry too much about the flip turns.  I do them but I grew up swimming competitively so it comes easy to me (and I get to work on those abs, right).  I tend to start blowing my air out just prior to performing the flip turn and then continue blowing out bubbles until I am through my turn.  Of course you will have to plan on taking a breath just before the turn.  

Janet, I think you will be fine with the sprint and will do great.  Just take it in and learn.

I looked at the racing schedule for this year and I think I have a plan.  This is what I am looking at:

Feb 15 - Austin Half Marathon 

Mar 29 - Cap 10k

April 25 - Texas round-Up (10K)

May 2 - Shiner GASP (100 mile bike ride from Austin to the Shiner brewery).  Not sure about this but I do want to try it if I can get someone to ride with me.

May 17 - Muddy Buddy Austin

May 25 - Cap Texas Tri (OLY)

Jun 21 - Lake Pflugerville Sprint

Sept 7 - Austin Triathlon (OLY)

Oct 18 - Longhorn Ironman 70.3 (gulp)

Nov - Run for the water 10 miler

not sure after that.  

2009-01-23 6:17 PM
in reply to: #1925533

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
soccermom15 - 2009-01-23 2:00 PM

Question for you - I'm experiencing a little bit of spring fever here (not sure why since the temps are supposed to bottom out again tonight and this weekendFrown), but it's got me looking at a spring racing schedule.  Along with some 5k fun runs I have a half marathon planned for April and was originally planning to do my first sprint tri in August - it's a local one that I've been wanting to do for a couple of years.  In looking through races for this spring I've found a sprint tri at the beginning of May that I'm interested in.  The distances are similar to the one in August (swim is a little longer but bike is a little shorter) and it's only about an hour's drive from where I live.  I've been concentrating more on my running because of the half marathon so I would probably need to re-work my training schedule a little to include more biking and swimming if I decide to do the tri in May. 

So the question is - if I do this tri in May just for fun, not racing it but more just to give me an idea of what it's like, is it doable?  My main concern is that the half marathon I'm doing is only 2 weeks before, but since the tri is only a sprint distance, it really shouldn't be an issue, right?

Any thoughts?

Janet

Janet

GO FOR IT!  You already have a good strategy.  Keep the 1/2 as your "A" race and see how your body feels post event.  If you feel rested after a week go hard for the sprint!  If not, treat it as practice for the main event.

For what it is worth, I did a Sprint on a Saturday and a half marathon on Sunday in '08  and PR'ed both.  Sometimes Sprints are nothing more than a good, hard work out before the main event.

YOU CAN DO IT!

Suzy

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-01-23 6:19 PM
2009-01-23 6:49 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Hello all...Back among  the life of the living. Had all 4 wisdom teeth out yesterday morning, what a treat. Oatmeal and yogurt for 2 days straight(and a little ice cream mixed it!!). Dentist said I shouldn't work out until Monday. So take a feel guilt free days off, before getting ready for      March 8th(1st Tri). It seems to be coming up very soon!

I really enoyed the Home Depot shovel joke, that definitely brightened the day. Can;t wait until tomorrow, I may try scrambled eggs! You definitely appreciate food when you can't have it. My wife had a chcken breast with steamed asparagus for dinner and I was drooling for it.

Also question time....My tri in March is a destination.(1hr flight)..I am really debating bringing my bike or not. Airline will charge $50 each way for it....And i think a rental is about the same price.

I'm not really attached to my bike yet, as this will be my 1st race. I think i just answered my own question didn't I?

Lose 4 teeth and take some drugs and off i go!

Edited by TrevorC 2009-01-23 6:57 PM
2009-01-24 9:01 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.

Janet very good question... I think you will be just fine.  As your training progresses you will notice that your body also goes with it.  You are going to do great, and what an experience!

Tex- Welcome back... I am so jealous that you get to do Muddy Buddy.  That race is nothing but FUN!  Also a great experience.  I had a chance to do it the very 1st year, but they haven't come back to Seattle since (which is strange because Brooks is the main sponsor, and they are based out of Seattle!).

Trevor- If you aren't in love with your bike just yet then I wouldn't worry about it.  By the time you rent a bike box, pay the airlines, upgrade your rental just to fit the bike box in there... It may not be worth it.  Now if you love your bike, have trained hard on it, and you are going to be on it for 2-7 hrs...IT MIGHT BE WORTH IT! !!!!  I hope everyone has a great weekend... Today I am going to have to try and squeeze in a workout... Lots of family things going on!! I have about 1:30 window this afternoon, but that may involve a SNOOZE as well!

2009-01-24 2:26 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Just got back from my workout.  The gym was crazy busy today!  It was hard just finding a place to park.  Part of that is from the kid's basketball leagues playing today and swim lessons/aerobics classes.  I got there later than normal though - have to make sure that I get there early on Saturdays from now on. 

Thanks for all the answers to my question yesterday.  I'm going to go ahead and sign up for the May triathlon.  

Janet 

2009-01-24 2:34 PM

User image

Champion

Here is my weekend question for the group:

Is there a point where you spend so little time in one of the SBR disciplines it is almost pointless?  The reason I ask is I am ramping up running mileage for my April marathon and as a result there will be weeks with only one planned bike effort (maybe two if I can start doing doubles as I rehab).  If there is value in continuing, what type of effort should I do? longer ride? harder ride?

Right now, I am taking a CT bike class which is almost always a one hour hard ride of some sort. Should that be the focus?

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Suzy

2009-01-24 3:19 PM

User image

Master
Small Town

Hello All,  I've been silent here lately as we were waiting for the birth of our baby.

Yesterday baby Sophia was born!  Yay, she's beautiful and healthy.  I'll be back here soon.  Thank you all for checking in on us.

2009-01-24 3:48 PM
in reply to: #1927037

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
JHagerman - 2009-01-24 4:19 PM

Hello All,  I've been silent here lately as we were waiting for the birth of our baby.

Yesterday baby Sophia was born!  Yay, she's beautiful and healthy.  I'll be back here soon.  Thank you all for checking in on us.

Congratulations!

2009-01-24 4:54 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Thanks everyone for the suggestions for the flip turns, I might stick to open turns for now

Is it weird to actually like riding my bike trainer??? I set it up in the living room last week and did one hour of a 3 hr. spinerval dvd (tough love?) and then today I had a half hour before I had to get ready for work and did a timesaver 30 min. workout and got a great workout both times. I listened to my ipod and just cranked away! Lots better than stopping at stop signs and looking for directions, etc.

Janet, I'm excited for you, congrats on signing up for that May tri.

Jeremy, congrats on the new baby!

Anyhow, just thinking I might be alone in this new found love for the trainer....
Have a great weekend everyone!

Edited by kt65 2009-01-24 4:55 PM
2009-01-24 6:05 PM
in reply to: #1927135

User image

Champion

kt65 - 2009-01-24 4:54 PM Thanks everyone for the suggestions for the flip turns, I might stick to open turns for now Is it weird to actually like riding my bike trainer??? I set it up in the living room last week and did one hour of a 3 hr. spinerval dvd (tough love?) and then today I had a half hour before I had to get ready for work and did a timesaver 30 min. workout and got a great workout both times. I listened to my ipod and just cranked away! Lots better than stopping at stop signs and looking for directions, etc. Janet, I'm excited for you, congrats on signing up for that May tri. Jeremy, congrats on the new baby! Anyhow, just thinking I might be alone in this new found love for the trainer.... Have a great weekend everyone!

Kim: You are not alone.  I use Spinervals all winter long and sometimes in the summer if the weather stinks or I have to do an oh-dark thirty session.  I really don't mind them.

Jeremy: A big CONGRATULATIONS to you and your wife!  What a beautiful name.   Pics when you have the time.  So cool.

2009-01-24 7:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Jeremy congrats on the new baby.

i had a great work out today..  I ate 3 german sausages (names i can not spell) with kraut, 2 steins of the most amazing german beer and a plate of goulash with a side of spetzle.  It's the most i ate in years.. I ate so much i was sweating.  I think you can say i like german/austrian food.  I hope this doesn't throw off my workouts...

2009-01-24 8:04 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.

Congrats Jeremy...... That is great news!!

Suzie, I think you are ok with biking one time a week.  After April you can switch your focus!  You already have such a running base that you won't need to worry much @ all about running.  For you to run 13 miles IS NOTHING!  A piece of cake.  Running 13 miles of the bike is a WHOLE different story.  You will really need to work on your biking muscles, but you have already logged insane amounts of mileage, so all in all... I won't worry!!

trying1---FAR TOO FUNNY!

Kim.... I love the trainer as well!  It is a good change, and you will find that when you hit the road... It is actually easier!

Edited by swbkrun 2009-01-24 8:04 PM
2009-01-24 8:27 PM
in reply to: #1927318

User image

Champion

LOL, good thing I always tie my bike up when on the back of my car using the extra straps.

Took my mtn bike to my parents house today for a ride.  When we left it was dark and my bike seemed to be secure.

Got home and the bike had fallen off the front hanger and was only supported by the tied up strap  and the back hanger about 1 inch from the road.

very freaky.

2009-01-24 8:41 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
JHagerman - 2009-01-24 4:19 PM

Congratulations.
2009-01-24 8:47 PM
in reply to: #1926992

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
SSMinnow - 2009-01-24 3:34 PM

Here is my weekend question for the group:

Is there a point where you spend so little time in one of the SBR disciplines it is almost pointless?  The reason I ask is I am ramping up running mileage for my April marathon and as a result there will be weeks with only one planned bike effort (maybe two if I can start doing doubles as I rehab).  If there is value in continuing, what type of effort should I do? longer ride? harder ride?

Right now, I am taking a CT bike class which is almost always a one hour hard ride of some sort. Should that be the focus?

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Suzy

There is a lot of talk on different aspects of training. Several studies done have shown that hard fast training is as good for overall conditioning as long distance training. As you are no dobut aware you still need to prepare your body for the long ride and as Steve said running 13miels off the bike is a whole new experience for your body. I think that with your running background you will be able to focus more on the ride after your marathon and cut back on the run a bit.. I would say don't let it or your swimming fall off completely though.
2009-01-24 8:49 PM

User image

Expert
B'ham

Congratulations Jeremy!  Hope you're wife and baby are doing well.

I was up late last night priming what used to be our office and is now going to be the boy's room and then painted it this morning.  Having asthma and sucking down paint fumes is a bad combo, I could really feel it on my run today.   Oh yeah, and I'm not done painting.  I still have the pleasure of painting a horizontal stripe around the room - who's jealous?????

2009-01-24 8:53 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
We are having really strange weather around this part of the country this year. No wonder so many people are sick. It was 0 yesterday and -26 windchill today.
Thats 32F and -13 F for you southern folk.
2009-01-24 11:17 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL

Jeremy...CONGRATULATIONS to both you and your wife.

Just scanned thru the posts, and you guys have been busy.  I just got back from the show in Vegas.  It was a pretty good show, but you can definitely tell that the economy is taking its toll on the building industry.  Craps table was not too friendly.

Most importantly, the week was not very conducive to my training.  Got alot of ground to make up this week.  We will call last week a rest week although I didn't get alot of rest.

Looking forward to catching up this week.  Glad to see everyone is doing well.

2009-01-25 9:05 AM
in reply to: #1927477

User image

Champion
Plainsman AU - 2009-01-25 12:17 AM

Jeremy...CONGRATULATIONS to both you and your wife.

Just scanned thru the posts, and you guys have been busy.  I just got back from the show in Vegas.  It was a pretty good show, but you can definitely tell that the economy is taking its toll on the building industry.  Craps table was not too friendly.

Most importantly, the week was not very conducive to my training.  Got alot of ground to make up this week.  We will call last week a rest week although I didn't get alot of rest.

Looking forward to catching up this week.  Glad to see everyone is doing well.

I always try to get the black jack table to pay for the trip... Never works.

2009-01-25 9:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA

Jeremy - Congrats on the new addition to your family.  Hope all is going well!!

Dale - I am always paranoid when I put my bike on the back of the car!!  Thanks for making my paranoia real!!!!!  I always tie mine on too, and I will continue to do so!!

I was planning on a nice run today - but when I took the dog out this morning, it was 7°.  I think I will trade the run in for some time on the trainer.  I haven't had it long enough to have really formed an opinion on whether I like it or not.  I think I feel like I don't like it only because so many people complain about how boring it is - I'll have to form my own opinion soon!!!

Have a great Sunday!

Karen 

2009-01-25 2:09 PM
in reply to: #1927662

User image

Champion

How's everyones weekend going so far?

Just got back from a run, worked on my bike a bit, and did some relaxing.

2009-01-25 5:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Congrats on the birth!! 

My weekend was great.  I participated in a Tri-Fit class on Saturday at my gym and it was a lot of fun.  Today was my dedicated long run day and I was able to run 11.67 miles.  Now it is time to grill up a ribeye and enjoy my evening.

2009-01-25 6:31 PM
in reply to: #1928109

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
texwilk - 2009-01-25 6:28 PM

Congrats on the birth!! 

My weekend was great.  I participated in a Tri-Fit class on Saturday at my gym and it was a lot of fun.  Today was my dedicated long run day and I was able to run 11.67 miles.  Now it is time to grill up a ribeye and enjoy my evening.

Had a great weekend although I didn't get in any training today. I did however changed my first flat tire and I think I got it right. At least the tire is still holding air. Is there anything one can do for a tube where it is the valve that is leaking and not the actual tube. Would changing the valve stem make any difference?
2009-01-25 6:55 PM
in reply to: #1928179

User image

Champion
Redknight - 2009-01-25 7:31 PM
texwilk - 2009-01-25 6:28 PM

Congrats on the birth!! 

Had a great weekend although I didn't get in any training today. I did however changed my first flat tire and I think I got it right. At least the tire is still holding air. Is there anything one can do for a tube where it is the valve that is leaking and not the actual tube. Would changing the valve stem make any difference?

If the stem is leaking nothing you can do but throw it away...

2009-01-25 8:44 PM

User image

Champion

I had a great single girl weekend. Did my workouts, had a massage and saw Revolutionary Road with my BFF (which I would not recommend unless you like really intense relationship movies!)

I'm on the final count down until we leave for Hawaii (Kauai/Big Island).  Only 6 days to go...cannot wait to run outside, hike Waimea Canyon and Volcano National Park, and hit the beach.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun's group- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 73