BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2013-05-17 1:06 PM
in reply to: carrie639

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: RE: Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED!
Just did a lunchtime swim and logged onto BT to see the new, upgraded site. Will take some getting used to, but seems visually more current than the old, circa-1990's looking front-end. I'm not sure I like not seeing my friend list on the front page, but I'm sure I'll get used to that.

What does everyone have on tap this weekend? Tomorrow plan to do a 50-some mile ride through the hills outside (if no rain) and maybe a short 3 mile run afterward. Then on Sunday it is a recovery day in which I get to play 36 holes of golf at a very nice course in Wisconsin (start 7:30 am and finish somewhere around dinner time). Should be a great weekend!

2013-05-17 1:08 PM
in reply to: carrie639

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
I do a flying dismount (over the back and then between the foot still on the pedal and the bike), but never a flying mount. Too much at stake, if you take my point, and I've seen way too many people (including pro/elites) digger and lose time, as well as pick gravel out of their teeth, doing it. That said, I still practice it every now and then.

Rode my new-to-me 2009 P2C with also-new-to-me 808 tubies for the first time last night (haven't figured out how to post pics yet, so I guess it didn't really happen). WOW, are tri-bikes fast! I love my Venge, but it is positively stately by comparison. More stable, as in I'm not worrying about death-by-drinking when I'm parched, but not as plain and simple faaaassssssst feeling. Loved it!!

Also rode for the first time with no socks on (and TriVents for shoes), and it was fine. So that'll help a lot with T1, I think - at least for Oly's and sprints (might use socks for long course, yeh?).

This morning, Kim signed the family up for a 5k on Sunday. Played heck with my training plans (moving stuff around), and my legs will be toasty before the race even starts, but I'm a sucker for a family race and for local races, so GAME ON! Just have to be careful not to get hurt.

Have a great weekend all!

Matt
2013-05-17 1:16 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
have a 60 mile bike/5 mi run brick tomorrow. long run sunday AM. easy/spin-it-out bike sunday PM
2013-05-17 1:18 PM
in reply to: sbsmann

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by sbsmann

What does everyone have on tap this weekend?
Tomorrow is supposed to be long run day, and a solid bike ride. Right now allergies are getting the best of me. In an ideal world I'll go to Masters tonight and get my run and ride in tomorrow. I take Sundays off, so I'm looking forward to that too
2013-05-17 1:24 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Easy 1500 pool tonight. Rest/Work Saturday. Then first OLY of the year. I hate obsessively tracking something I cant predict... the forecast for race day.
2013-05-17 1:50 PM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Expert
2 questions

What is a KOM?

What is the time savings for flying mount/dismount?

Thanks.

2013-05-17 2:08 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Originally posted by sbsmann

Just did a lunchtime swim and logged onto BT to see the new, upgraded site. Will take some getting used to, but seems visually more current than the old, circa-1990's looking front-end. I'm not sure I like not seeing my friend list on the front page, but I'm sure I'll get used to that.

What does everyone have on tap this weekend? Tomorrow plan to do a 50-some mile ride through the hills outside (if no rain) and maybe a short 3 mile run afterward. Then on Sunday it is a recovery day in which I get to play 36 holes of golf at a very nice course in Wisconsin (start 7:30 am and finish somewhere around dinner time). Should be a great weekend!

I hate the new site but only because I hate learning new things in my "down time". I have so little time - I don't want to wrestle with my brain to learn how to unwind!!!

Long bike tomorrow, long run and long swim Sunday.

Then I get to chill a bit next week as it's a recovery week but... I plan to drive to Syracuse and run a loop of the run and bike the course.

Fortunately the weather here is going to be beeauuutiful!!! And it's a long weekend here in Canada.
2013-05-17 2:10 PM
in reply to: KateTri1

User image

Originally posted by KateTri1

2 questions

What is a KOM?

Thanks.

KOM stands for King of the Mountain. QOM would be Queen of the Mountain. Most of what you see here is in reference to Strava. Basically it's a website were anyone can upload their GPS file and it will compare your time on a specific segment of road (usually a hill) to see who has the fastest time. Segments can range as short as a quarter mile, all the way up to 100+ miles. The possibilities are literally endless. So when Fred says he took a KOM, it means he loaded his ride to Strava, and for a specific part of his ride, he had the fastest overall time out of anyone else who loaded that same segment. Basically just bragging rights.

In bike racing, KOM is usually in reference to a points race focused on climbing. In a given race, there may be any number of hill climbs where there is a KOM finish line at the top. It's not the real finish line of the race, but the first person to get to the top of these climbs gets KOM points. 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc may also get points. At the end of the race (or races), the person with the most KOM points is declared the KOM winner. Again...because not all races end at the top of a climb, this is a way to keep races interesting throughout the entire 100 miles or so instead of having the entire peloton just cruise the first 98 miles and sprint to the finish the last 2 miles.

As far as time savings for flying mount and dismount. You're talking about seconds. Compared to someone who can efficiently put their shoes on in T1 and take them off in T2...maybe about 15 seconds max. It's really not something most people need to sweat over, but if you practice it enough, it can actually be easier to do.
2013-05-17 2:25 PM
in reply to: tri808

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by tri808

As far as time savings for flying mount and dismount. You're talking about seconds. Compared to someone who can efficiently put their shoes on in T1 and take them off in T2...maybe about 15 seconds max. It's really not something most people need to sweat over, but if you practice it enough, it can actually be easier to do.
Yeah, I do it because I find it easier. That it's faster (even if it is just a little bit) is just a bonus. I find running through transition with the bike and bike shoes already on very awkward. The 'flying' dismount is much easier, the mount is slightly easier.
2013-05-17 2:29 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago
Speaking of flying mounts and dismounts, today I saw a guy swing his right leg over his handlebars when got off his bike.

Who is racing this weekend? Good luck, racers!
2013-05-17 2:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Maryland

2 questions

What is a KOM?

Thanks.

I have a lot of work to do and time to gain on my transitions. For example, buddy T1 time 1:07, mine 2:20, his T2 time 0:28, mine 1:04. I did fumble putting on arm warmers and had a little trouble with my lock laces, but that is one thing that he suggested I try. My transition space was relatively farther from the bike exit, and his was close which made a long run in bike shoes like someone else suggested. It is part of the race that efficiency can hopefully move me up a couple spots.

I tend to keep things pretty simple, but am willing to try things, for those precious 15 seconds that Jason mentioned are hopefully possible.

2013-05-17 2:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
I'm running the Colfax Marathon on Sunday. Trying not to overdo it during my 4 day taper. I have an easy 4 mile run tonight and will do a couple miles tomorrow after driving just to stretch the legs.
2013-05-17 2:52 PM
in reply to: bgeyeguy

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by bgeyeguy

2 questions

What is a KOM?

Thanks.

I have a lot of work to do and time to gain on my transitions. For example, buddy T1 time 1:07, mine 2:20, his T2 time 0:28, mine 1:04. I did fumble putting on arm warmers and had a little trouble with my lock laces, but that is one thing that he suggested I try. My transition space was relatively farther from the bike exit, and his was close which made a long run in bike shoes like someone else suggested. It is part of the race that efficiency can hopefully move me up a couple spots.

I tend to keep things pretty simple, but am willing to try things, for those precious 15 seconds that Jason mentioned are hopefully possible.
You'll save a lot more time by not fumbling with clothing, especially when wet, than you will by doing the flying mount/dismount.
2013-05-17 3:34 PM
in reply to: stevesflyshop

User image

Expert
Originally posted by stevesflyshop

I'm running the Colfax Marathon on Sunday. Trying not to overdo it during my 4 day taper. I have an easy 4 mile run tonight and will do a couple miles tomorrow after driving just to stretch the legs.

Good luck!! Hope you have good weather. :=)
2013-05-17 4:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
The forecast 3 days ago for Sunday was 68 and sunny. That's changed. Now the forecast says 66 and rain. You never know what the weather in Denver will do.
2013-05-17 4:27 PM

User image

Expert
Two hour ride this morning. What sucked was there was no wind when I left and that's based on flags that I check while riding not perception. This was right at sunrise. So I go an hour out and turnaround. When I get back by the beach there's a 25 MPH headwind that is just crushing me. There's this one really flat stretch where I have three miles marked off by landmarks and normally I'm using it as an interval and blasting at 23+ MPH and 100 cadence. I was barely holding 16.5 MPH and was 3 gears lower and barely holding 80 cadence. There's something about a wind like that which is worse than a big hill. I could feel the wind offering resistance to my knees trying to raise them.

2013-05-17 5:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

Originally posted by bgeyeguy

2 questions

What is a KOM?

Thanks.

You'll save a lot more time by not fumbling with clothing, especially when wet, than you will by doing the flying mount/dismount.

Agree. It is only a small piece of the whole puzzle, did not say that it was going to save gobs of time. It was rather chilly, so I was glad I had the arm warmers.
2013-05-17 5:56 PM
in reply to: tri808

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by tri808

2 questions

What is a KOM?

Thanks.

KOM stands for King of the Mountain. QOM would be Queen of the Mountain. Most of what you see here is in reference to Strava. Basically it's a website were anyone can upload their GPS file and it will compare your time on a specific segment of road (usually a hill) to see who has the fastest time. Segments can range as short as a quarter mile, all the way up to 100+ miles. The possibilities are literally endless. So when Fred says he took a KOM, it means he loaded his ride to Strava, and for a specific part of his ride, he had the fastest overall time out of anyone else who loaded that same segment. Basically just bragging rights.

In bike racing, KOM is usually in reference to a points race focused on climbing. In a given race, there may be any number of hill climbs where there is a KOM finish line at the top. It's not the real finish line of the race, but the first person to get to the top of these climbs gets KOM points. 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc may also get points. At the end of the race (or races), the person with the most KOM points is declared the KOM winner. Again...because not all races end at the top of a climb, this is a way to keep races interesting throughout the entire 100 miles or so instead of having the entire peloton just cruise the first 98 miles and sprint to the finish the last 2 miles.

Thanks for the explanation on the KOM stuff, Jason! Throughout TrainerRoad's 8 Days in California, they had KOM segments and I was wondering how Strava got brought into the picture.....now I understand that it's not just a Strava term.

Finished Stage 7 of 8DC tour this afternoon.....nearly drowned in a pool of my own sweat! Tough ride, for sure. They've done a great job developing the "story line" and putting together challenging rides.
2013-05-17 8:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by stevesflyshop I'm running the Colfax Marathon on Sunday. Trying not to overdo it during my 4 day taper. I have an easy 4 mile run tonight and will do a couple miles tomorrow after driving just to stretch the legs.
2013-05-17 9:15 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Racking my bike at Columbia tomorrow and have my first Olympic of the season on Sunday. Heres hoping the weather holds.
2013-05-18 7:26 AM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

Racking my bike at Columbia tomorrow and have my first Olympic of the season on Sunday. Heres hoping the weather holds.

Good luck tomorrow! Awesome course!

2013-05-18 7:28 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-05-18 7:31 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-05-18 9:38 AM

Expert
Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

Good luck and have fun! I have heard lots of great things about that race.

Fred, very sorry to hear about your back, Heal quickly.

I'll be doing the American Zofingen Duathlon Short Course Duathlon tomorrow. It's 5mi/29mi/5 mi with a lot of climbing. The run is a trail run with some single track, and some spots where with all the rocks, roots and logs it feels more like climbing stairs than running. There are also middle distance F1, long course and ITT races, but I am not nearly capable of doing any of those. This race doesn't get much interest on BT, but there's a 35 page thread that's pretty funny over on ST. This will be my 7th time, and it's always one of the highlights of my racing season. The best part is the post race food: Chili, burgers on the grill, and a few kegs from a local craft brewery.

Good luck to everyone racing, and have a great weekend everybody!
2013-05-18 10:08 AM

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by stevesflyshop

Good luck and have fun!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 51