BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2014-05-06 2:49 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Okie dokie. So, generally I am healthy.  The breast lump isn't a huge concern but I have a follow up given my family history and I'm going to need surgery for the other lump (minor) which I will schedule here shortly.

She had a bunch of bloodwork done too. Good news, although I was a complete baby, I didn't pass out when they took the blood. Also, it didn't really hurt at all gawd I am a baby with that stuff. I'll get the results of that  later. 

Another thing, my doc was concerned about my period. The frequency (every 2.5 weeks), the length (>7 days) and the fact it's quite heavy. She recommends me getting on birth control and skipping my period as she thinks it's negatively affecting my energy levels and quite frankly my mental health (my feedback.) Interestingly enough this has increased since running, not decreased. We were laughing about my unlucky circumstance vs say amenorrhoea (don't worry, it was a joke!) The good news is, that could explain my general fatigue with a fairly simple fix. But we'll see what the blood tests say, too. 

Soooo, that's that! 

Really glad to hear that you're generally healthy and that you're going to get the lump taken care of - but man, does that ever suck about the periods.  To be having that frequency would definitely have an effect on your energy levels, etc.  I hope it really is an easy fix for you - I thought it was the greatest thing in the world when I never had to deal with "Aunt Flo" ever again!  

2014-05-06 2:52 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Okie dokie. So, generally I am healthy.  The breast lump isn't a huge concern but I have a follow up given my family history and I'm going to need surgery for the other lump (minor) which I will schedule here shortly.

She had a bunch of bloodwork done too. Good news, although I was a complete baby, I didn't pass out when they took the blood. Also, it didn't really hurt at all gawd I am a baby with that stuff. I'll get the results of that  later. 

Another thing, my doc was concerned about my period. The frequency (every 2.5 weeks), the length (>7 days) and the fact it's quite heavy. She recommends me getting on birth control and skipping my period as she thinks it's negatively affecting my energy levels and quite frankly my mental health (my feedback.) Interestingly enough this has increased since running, not decreased. We were laughing about my unlucky circumstance vs say amenorrhoea (don't worry, it was a joke!) The good news is, that could explain my general fatigue with a fairly simple fix. But we'll see what the blood tests say, too. 

Soooo, that's that! 

Holy moly- every 2.5 weeks for 7+ days!!!! Get on birth control pronto! I am one of the lucky people who get to have follow up ultra sounds every 6 months to make sure nothing has changed. Hopefully, only another 1.5 years of it before I can go back to a more normal exam schedule. And I don't have any family history of breast cancer. I can only imagine what they'd want me to do if I did! Seriously, I'm glad you are getting everything checked out. It's a bit of a hassle on the front end, but it would be much worse if there was an issue that wasn't addressed .
2014-05-06 2:53 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Soooo, that's that! 

Glad you made it to the Dr. and survived the experience. Cool that you are getting the lump taken care of. Funny about the needles... I heard a lady on the radio the other day talking about how she was carrying on about the needle when she went in to have her baby. The nurse raised her eyebrows and said "you know you're about to be a mother, right?". Ha. As for the period. Ick. No doubt it is affecting your training and energy levels! Glad you'll be getting it taken care of.

2014-05-06 2:55 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Seattle

It never occurred to me that I could fix this whole period thing. DUH! 

PS I hadn't seen my doc since Feb 2011 . She was very nice about my long list of things I wanted checked out 

2014-05-06 3:01 PM

User image

Master

Soooo, that's that! 

Good for you for getting in there! That's half the battle for blood babies (I hate the needles!)...knowing that making that appointment probably means tests and poking and prodding

Hopefully taking care of these things will get you back to your full kick-azz self. Will be crossing fingers and toes for you.

2014-05-06 3:02 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

PS I hadn't seen my doc since Feb 2011 . She was very nice about my long list of things I wanted checked out 

I go every year. Last year after I saw my dr she moved to Texas. The group replaced her so I figured I'd just set an appt with the new dr. Well they wanted to schedule a get-to-know-me meeting with her before she would do a check-up. Ain't nobody got time for that. So I switched to the PA at DH's dr. Was supposed to see her last week but something came up at work so I go next week.

2014-05-06 3:12 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Soooo, that's that! 

Yikes, Salty, good thing you went to the doctor!!  Breast lumps are nothing to sneeze at and the frequent periods sound awful.  Maybe you should go in for a tune-up more often (says the pot who calls the kettle black).  Way to be strong for the blood draw.    Keep us posted, 'kay?

2014-05-06 3:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by rrrunner

I go every year. Last year after I saw my dr she moved to Texas. The group replaced her so I figured I'd just set an appt with the new dr. Well they wanted to schedule a get-to-know-me meeting with her before she would do a check-up. Ain't nobody got time for that. So I switched to the PA at DH's dr. Was supposed to see her last week but something came up at work so I go next week.

I had something similar happen to me. My gyno retired right in the middle of my little health scare and before writing a script for a follow up exam! She was part of the huge hospital system around here, so all her files were transferred to another doc. I had to make an appt with her ( actually the PA) just to get the script. It turned into a getting to know you appt., but I was ok with it cuz I ended up really liking her and getting better explanations of test results.

hey guys! how are you enjoying this topic?!

Edited by amd723 2014-05-06 3:17 PM

2014-05-06 3:17 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Soooo, that's that! 

I'm glad that you went.  I'm glad that this could be a relatively easy an inexpensive solution.

I am also a baby about bloodwork, mostly because I have tiny veins that collapse when poked and several times this has resulted in "digging."  I fear the dig!

2014-05-06 3:19 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

I had something similar happen to me. My gyno retired right in the middle of my little health scare and before writing a script for a follow up exam! She was part of the huge hospital system around here, so all her files were transferred to another doc. I had to make an appt with her ( actually the PA) just to get the script. It turned into a getting to know you appt., but I was ok with it cuz I ended up really liking her and getting better explanations of test results.

hey guys! how are you enjoying this topic?!

crickets....

I probably would have liked her but I didn't want to take time off twice just to get a check up. Plus they were booked way out and I need test results for work

2014-05-06 3:21 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

Soooo, that's that! 

I'm glad that you went.  I'm glad that this could be a relatively easy an inexpensive solution.

I am also a baby about bloodwork, mostly because I have tiny veins that collapse when poked and several times this has resulted in "digging."  I fear the dig!

I've had hypo-thyroidism since 5th grade. Which, when I was growing, meant blood tests every 3-6 months. Needles don't phase me, and I have great veins.

2014-05-06 3:22 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Whatevs...I thought about making a guy-disclaimer but this is life. They can accept the bad with the good.

If you have a problem with it, well, we can settle it on the track

2014-05-06 3:23 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Seattle

Soooo, that's that! 

I am too. I seriously feel better just knowing I am taking some action.

OMG "collapse" and "digging" AHHHHHHHH. ew ew ew ew 

2014-05-06 3:25 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by amd723

Soooo, that's that! 

Holy moly- every 2.5 weeks for 7+ days!!!! Get on birth control pronto! I am one of the lucky people who get to have follow up ultra sounds every 6 months to make sure nothing has changed. Hopefully, only another 1.5 years of it before I can go back to a more normal exam schedule. And I don't have any family history of breast cancer. I can only imagine what they'd want me to do if I did! Seriously, I'm glad you are getting everything checked out. It's a bit of a hassle on the front end, but it would be much worse if there was an issue that wasn't addressed .

I have been on birth control for years for the sole purpose of regulating my period.  I NEVER knew when mine was coming, it was very random, very long, and very heavy.  It was a pain.

And for all of you regarding going to the doctor: please don't miss regular checkups.  My best friend never went to the doctor, until she started having really bad back pain.  It was metastasized breast cancer, which could have been found early with a regular check up.  She died at age 42.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE put on your big girl (and boy) panties and go. 

2014-05-06 3:25 PM

User image

Master

Thanks to all for the nice encouragement on my RR. I've got a date with a brick set up for this afternoon.   That run was no bueno for me. Two minutes better would have moved me almost 20 spots overall.

2014-05-06 3:27 PM

User image

Master

Soooo, that's that! 

Hahahahaha.  From the tough-as-nails gal who ran Boston while sick! 

2014-05-06 3:29 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Thanks to all for the nice encouragement on my RR. I've got a date with a brick set up for this afternoon.   That run was no bueno for me. Two minutes better would have moved me almost 20 spots overall.

I was going to comment that I'd like to do that one with you next year but then I realized you may not be there

2014-05-06 3:31 PM

Master
Northern IL

Whatevs...I thought about making a guy-disclaimer but this is life. They can accept the bad with the good.

Pretty sure the other guys here also know to expect this to just sort of happen at times.

2014-05-06 3:38 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

I should try and get a beer sponsor? 

2014-05-06 3:39 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by brigby1

Pretty sure the other guys here also know to expect this to just sort of happen at times.

The periods? Or talking about the periods?

2014-05-06 3:39 PM

User image

Master

Soooo, that's that! 

In corner rocking with my blanket. (happy place happy place happy place)

2014-05-06 3:41 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

No doubt! I agree!

2014-05-06 3:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

I was going to comment that I'd like to do that one with you next year but then I realized you may not be there

lol...moving me out of town already?

It's a very well-run race. On time, lots of people watching on lake, police at all turns/intersections, roads blocked nicely, smart people at the stations, easy to spectate course. Not to mention nice finisher's medals and women's riding tank instead of a t-shirt. I will absolutely do it with you if we're still here.

Edited by 4agoodlife 2014-05-06 3:49 PM
2014-05-06 3:49 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

lol...moving me out of town already?

It's a very well-run race. On time, lots of people watching on lake, police at all turns/intersections, roads blocked nicely, smart people at the stations, easy to spectate course. I will absolutely do it with you if we're still here.

I guess I'd have to do the Oly to justify the drive to Phoenix tho

2014-05-06 3:51 PM

User image

Master

Looks like you wouldn't have to try very hard.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 64690 Posts: 2563

2014-04-03 7:43 AM IndoIronYanti

New Year 2014 Mentor Program is OPEN! Instructions Inside

Started by Ron
Views: 2977 Posts: 20

2014-03-26 2:43 PM simoneocean

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 28168 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

2014 Rookies - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16

Started by Jason N
Views: 16393 Posts: 376

2014-04-28 2:54 PM Danmartinids

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 100366 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.