of 97

2015-02-08 11:38 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: SBR "U"
Originally posted by BrotherTri

Originally posted by axteraa

Nice work James!  You want to use AP for the CP/FTP calculation in GoldenCheetah.  I think you will want to redo the 20' test before adjusting anything as well.  That higher 5' test will actually lower your CP calculation if you use the same 20' number.

Thank you. That was a 13w increase since my last test a month ago. I am doing the 20' test Tuesday.

cool!

did you test in erg mode ?

2015-02-08 12:04 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by marcag

Nice work James!  You want to use AP for the CP/FTP calculation in GoldenCheetah.  I think you will want to redo the 20' test before adjusting anything as well.  That higher 5' test will actually lower your CP calculation if you use the same 20' number.

Thank you. That was a 13w increase since my last test a month ago. I am doing the 20' test Tuesday.

cool!

Marc yes I used the erg file for just the load. The avg was pretty much the same but that really doesn't matter. I followed the 910xt NP avg, 3s and 30s avgs. It was pretty cool for the frist 20' interval I was keeping the 3s and 30s avg close. Pacing I a big problem for me and this is really helping. Wednesday I will use the CT thru GC but still read the 910xt for the output.

2015-02-08 12:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

cool!

Marc yes I used the erg file for just the load. The avg was pretty much the same but that really doesn't matter. I followed the 910xt NP avg, 3s and 30s avgs. It was pretty cool for the frist 20' interval I was keeping the 3s and 30s avg close. Pacing I a big problem for me and this is really helping. Wednesday I will use the CT thru GC but still read the 910xt for the output.

what load did you have programmed for the 5' portion ?
2015-02-08 12:23 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

cool!

what load did you have programmed for the 5' portion ?

315w I think that is why my RPM's was so high.

2015-02-08 12:39 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Marc, last year at Syracuse 70.3 I had a high bike rpm 91 or 92. It seams to me that I am either doing 70-80's or 90's. When I was younger and faster I was always high rpms 90+. I don't know what to make of it, its probably nothing.
2015-02-08 5:20 PM

User image

16 mile run with 1750' of climbing. Mary training back on track

2015-02-08 5:52 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by ChrisM

16 mile run with 1750' of climbing. Mary training back on track

Nice Chris! Good to hear that you are back. That type of climbing will be good for Alcatraz as well.
2015-02-08 5:54 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Awesome Chris!  How the heck do you go from pool running to 16 miles so fast?  Quite a turnaround!

2015-02-09 7:34 AM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by kcarroll

Originally posted by Birkierunner

I had my shoulder MRI this afternoon.  Hoping the Dr can make an appointment opening for me on Friday so I don't have to wonder about the results over the weekend.

Hey Jim crossing fingers. How is it been feeling?

Still fairly painful but now more of a dull ache.  ROM may have improved about 10% the past week or so.  Its getting a little old to deal with but others have dealt with stuff light years more serious than this.  Thanks for asking!

Hey Jim, I hope things work out well for you and you don't have to wonder all weekend.  I watched Tab suffer with her shoulder and it wasn't nice.

Jim, hope you get results quickly and a good prognosis. My experience with shoulder issues has been that ROM improvements can be slow (comparatively) but continue for a long time. Good luck.

Thanks for all the well-wishes.  I had the doctor appt on Friday and before he even finished closing the door and sat down he blurted out, "yeah you have a labral tear".  He talked about the options and wasn't very encouraging that (given my athletic goals) simple rehab would be satisfactory so he recommended surgery.  Due to my schedule and a couple of surgeons being on vacation I can't even get in for a surgeon consult until March 2, so I'm guessing a mid-March surgery.  Initial recovery is supposed to be 6 weeks with full recovery in 3-4 months.  That put's CDA in jeopardy for being competitive. I did buy the cancellation insurance for the first time so maybe I jinxed myself   Not sure of the rules with race cancellation versus transfer.....so....maybe IMMT??   Anyway, I have a 50k ski marathon in 2 weeks that I don't plan on missing (gotta keep the 18 year string going) so it will basically be a one-armed ski and I'll carry a pole in the other hand just for balance.  Have a great week everyone.

2015-02-09 9:56 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Chris - glad you're back at it (and impressively so).

Jim, total bummer.  At least they're saying "Full" recovery in a few months, but I'm sorry to hear that it's surgical.  Adding insult to injury to not be able to schedule the operation, as well.

As for being a one-armed-bandit at a FIFTY k ski race, yikes!  Hardcore...    

Matt

2015-02-09 10:02 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Elite
Ontario

Sorry to see you're facing surgery Jim - hopefully you rebound quickly, but without pushing too hard trying to make the race start.  

2015-02-09 11:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks for all the well-wishes.  I had the doctor appt on Friday and before he even finished closing the door and sat down he blurted out, "yeah you have a labral tear".  He talked about the options and wasn't very encouraging that (given my athletic goals) simple rehab would be satisfactory so he recommended surgery.  Due to my schedule and a couple of surgeons being on vacation I can't even get in for a surgeon consult until March 2, so I'm guessing a mid-March surgery.  Initial recovery is supposed to be 6 weeks with full recovery in 3-4 months.  That put's CDA in jeopardy for being competitive. I did buy the cancellation insurance for the first time so maybe I jinxed myself   Not sure of the rules with race cancellation versus transfer.....so....maybe IMMT??   Anyway, I have a 50k ski marathon in 2 weeks that I don't plan on missing (gotta keep the 18 year string going) so it will basically be a one-armed ski and I'll carry a pole in the other hand just for balance.  Have a great week everyone.

Sorry to hear this Jim. Can you run and bike somewhat normally during the recovery ? I am guessing some trainer time post op ?
2015-02-09 11:24 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Birkierunner Thanks for all the well-wishes.  I had the doctor appt on Friday and before he even finished closing the door and sat down he blurted out, "yeah you have a labral tear".  He talked about the options and wasn't very encouraging that (given my athletic goals) simple rehab would be satisfactory so he recommended surgery.  Due to my schedule and a couple of surgeons being on vacation I can't even get in for a surgeon consult until March 2, so I'm guessing a mid-March surgery.  Initial recovery is supposed to be 6 weeks with full recovery in 3-4 months.  That put's CDA in jeopardy for being competitive. I did buy the cancellation insurance for the first time so maybe I jinxed myself   Not sure of the rules with race cancellation versus transfer.....so....maybe IMMT??   Anyway, I have a 50k ski marathon in 2 weeks that I don't plan on missing (gotta keep the 18 year string going) so it will basically be a one-armed ski and I'll carry a pole in the other hand just for balance.  Have a great week everyone.
Sorry to hear this Jim. Can you run and bike somewhat normally during the recovery ? I am guessing some trainer time post op ?

Not really sure how much running will affect pain levels and I'm hoping that riding on the computrainer will be do-able.  On a brighter note, this morning I managed to get the doc consult moved up to Feb 19 so surgery the first week of March is a possibility. 

2015-02-09 11:56 AM

User image

Originally posted by Birkierunner Thanks for all the well-wishes.  I had the doctor appt on Friday and before he even finished closing the door and sat down he blurted out, "yeah you have a labral tear".  He talked about the options and wasn't very encouraging that (given my athletic goals) simple rehab would be satisfactory so he recommended surgery.  Due to my schedule and a couple of surgeons being on vacation I can't even get in for a surgeon consult until March 2, so I'm guessing a mid-March surgery.  Initial recovery is supposed to be 6 weeks with full recovery in 3-4 months.  That put's CDA in jeopardy for being competitive. I did buy the cancellation insurance for the first time so maybe I jinxed myself   Not sure of the rules with race cancellation versus transfer.....so....maybe IMMT??   Anyway, I have a 50k ski marathon in 2 weeks that I don't plan on missing (gotta keep the 18 year string going) so it will basically be a one-armed ski and I'll carry a pole in the other hand just for balance.  Have a great week everyone.

Not really sure how much running will affect pain levels and I'm hoping that riding on the computrainer will be do-able.  On a brighter note, this morning I managed to get the doc consult moved up to Feb 19 so surgery the first week of March is a possibility. 

Good news, sorry about the surgery though.  Hopefully gets you back in the swing for some later races 

2015-02-09 12:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Awesome Chris!  How the heck do you go from pool running to 16 miles so fast?  Quite a turnaround!

I had some good 13+ very hilly mile fitness going into the injury, kept up as much elliptical as I could handle, then got back on the treadmill for as long as I could until it got tight, and then added aqua on top of that, that I did 4-5 times.  Last weekend I ran a very easy 13 flat.  So fitness wise I was almost there, and I used a run/walk for the hills.  the last mile was pretty tough but mostly downhill, but my quads now pay the price for that as none of what I was doing simulated that downhill running.

Edited by ChrisM 2015-02-09 12:01 PM
2015-02-09 12:11 PM

User image

Seattle

Good news, sorry about the surgery though.  Hopefully gets you back in the swing for some later races 

well, glad you know and have a game plan. Also great news you got the consult bumped.

2015-02-09 12:13 PM

User image

Seattle

I had some good 13+ very hilly mile fitness going into the injury, kept up as much elliptical as I could handle, then got back on the treadmill for as long as I could until it got tight, and then added aqua on top of that, that I did 4-5 times.  Last weekend I ran a very easy 13 flat.  So fitness wise I was almost there, and I used a run/walk for the hills.  the last mile was pretty tough but mostly downhill, but my quads now pay the price for that as none of what I was doing simulated that downhill running.

Be careful! It's great the fitness is there but make sure the legs are too. You don't want to prolong this injury!
2015-02-09 12:52 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Originally posted by GoFaster

Sorry to see you're facing surgery Jim - hopefully you rebound quickly, but without pushing too hard trying to make the race start.  

x2

2015-02-09 1:53 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
, California

A little bike humor for the day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OhUJywiSUE

2015-02-09 3:19 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by spudone

LOL!!!!

That's the truth.......
2015-02-09 3:26 PM

User image

Pro
NJ

Jim, that's good news that you've been able to move things up. Hopefully the surgeon will be able to do the repair arthroscopically, which should shorten recovery time. I had a different shoulder repair - ORIF, plates, pins and rotator cuff - but there wasn't really any acute pain post op. I had a nerve block which helped a lot in the first 24-48 hours. Surgery was on a Thursday and I was able to work by the middle of the following week. You will probably be in a sling for at least a few weeks. I had to immobilize for 6 weeks.  In NJ it is illegal to drive in a sling - it's the equivalent of a DUI and the insurance penalty is huge. So after the first week, I just took the sling off to drive and was fine. Sleep disruption was a big challenge for longer than I expected. I slept in a chair for quite a while, but ymmv.  Good luck and hope all goes well for a successful repair and speedy recovery. 

2015-02-09 6:29 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by spudone

LOL!!!! That's the truth.......

I was extra impressed with the usage of chopsticks!

2015-02-10 1:11 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by kcarroll

Jim, that's good news that you've been able to move things up. Hopefully the surgeon will be able to do the repair arthroscopically, which should shorten recovery time. I had a different shoulder repair - ORIF, plates, pins and rotator cuff - but there wasn't really any acute pain post op. I had a nerve block which helped a lot in the first 24-48 hours. Surgery was on a Thursday and I was able to work by the middle of the following week. You will probably be in a sling for at least a few weeks. I had to immobilize for 6 weeks.  In NJ it is illegal to drive in a sling - it's the equivalent of a DUI and the insurance penalty is huge. So after the first week, I just took the sling off to drive and was fine. Sleep disruption was a big challenge for longer than I expected. I slept in a chair for quite a while, but ymmv.  Good luck and hope all goes well for a successful repair and speedy recovery. 

I got very used to sleeping on my side, good shoulder down, with a pillow at my chest to prop up the cut shoulder.  Took a bit over a month until I could sleep on my back without waking up from having moved inappropriately (and I don't mean toward The Better Half).  On that note, spooning and having The Better Half prop your arm up sounds good, until one of you moves. 

Hope it goes quickly.

Matt

2015-02-10 2:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Ok did a 20' Power test today. I was really apprehensive about it for two reasons. I had a HUGH argument with a fellow co worker that I care about. That was about a hour before the test and I know I dumped some adrenalin . The other thing is yesterday was another extremely fatiguing day, but not as bad as last week. Anyway I did the test with great results. My current 5' is 342w and 20' is 313 My CP is 303 and my W' is 12Kj Still not sure what that W' does for me or really what my FTP is. Anyways here are the screen shoots. O' the 20' test was interrupted a bit because I goofed with the erg file. I put 315w in for the 20'. I guess I was still upset, so I stopped that file and loaded a flat slopped file for the load. This is why you will see a drop in Watts about 5' in. Its all good and my zones really seam to make sense now. About time.....

EDIT
If I did bad I would have not complained.....

Edited by BrotherTri 2015-02-10 2:34 PM

(20' power test 313w.png)

(20'PT_313w.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
20' power test 313w.png (46KB - 1 downloads)
20'PT_313w.JPG (90KB - 1 downloads)
2015-02-10 2:15 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

I got very used to sleeping on my side, good shoulder down, with a pillow at my chest to prop up the cut shoulder.  Took a bit over a month until I could sleep on my back without waking up from having moved inappropriately (and I don't mean toward The Better Half).  On that note, spooning and having The Better Half prop your arm up sounds good, until one of you moves. 

yeah, I've had about 7 weeks of sleep disruption already to practice for my additional 6 weeks of post-surgery disruption

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).