BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-06-22 2:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by rrrunner

Janyne reminded me of a momma brag I need to throw down.

DS2 told me this weekend he is 18 seconds off of the 5k time for the base. He mentioned to me a couple weeks ago that he is singing cadence for running team alpha aka the seven fastest guys on the base.

So it's genetic, huh? 

Ummm the only part of that I can claim is the singing . And I certainly couldn't do that while trying to beat a 5k record!!!

Edited by rrrunner 2015-06-22 2:45 PM

2015-06-22 2:48 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pennsylvania

DS2 told me this weekend he is 18 seconds off of the 5k time for the base. He mentioned to me a couple weeks ago that he is singing cadence for running team alpha aka the seven fastest guys on the base.

That is VERY cool!!  And to think you were a big part of it with all the races you do together and your active influence on him.  Great job, momma!

Oh, and in other totally unrelated news about our 'twin' sunglasses: mine broke last week and needed replaced.

2015-06-22 2:52 PM

User image

Seattle

So it's genetic, huh? 

Ummm the only part of that I can claim is the singing . And I certainly couldn't do that while trying to beat a 5k record!!!

Proooooovve it

2015-06-22 2:53 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by melbo55

That is VERY cool!!  And to think you were a big part of it with all the races you do together and your active influence on him.  Great job, momma!

Oh, and in other totally unrelated news about our 'twin' sunglasses: mine broke last week and needed replaced.

Ha! I am constantly loosing/breaking sunglasses.

2015-06-22 2:54 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

So it's genetic, huh? 

Proooooovve it

It ain't gonna happen climbing Pikes Peak either!!!!!!!! Maybe during the celebratory beers

2015-06-22 2:57 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by IronOx

Can anyone who is on FB give an update on Monica?  It's been a long time since she has checked in.

She was looking pretty darn hawt this weekend in her Betty kit for the Lake Pflugerville Tri

ETA (and she and Tony had Thai food yesterday )

Okay, thanks!  And is that ^^ really a place?? 

2015-06-22 2:59 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Speaking of trail running. I did my first PPA training faceplant this weekend. Aspen is usually off leash because we rarely encounter people on the trails.  Well this weekend we were doing an easier trail on top of the mountain so there were more people and she was on the leash. She decided to chase a critter at about the same time I was navigating my footing on a section with lots of rocks. And down I went. Some minor cuts to the knee and a reminder that I need a first aid kit...

2015-06-22 3:00 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Can anyone who is on FB give an update on Monica?  It's been a long time since she has checked in.

She was looking pretty darn hawt this weekend in her Betty kit for the Lake Pflugerville Tri

ETA (and she and Tony had Thai food yesterday )

Okay, thanks!  And is that ^^ really a place?? 

Who knows, maybe she made it up as an excuse to wear the kit

2015-06-22 3:29 PM

User image

Seattle

Speaking of trail running. I did my first PPA training faceplant this weekend. Aspen is usually off leash because we rarely encounter people on the trails.  Well this weekend we were doing an easier trail on top of the mountain so there were more people and she was on the leash. She decided to chase a critter at about the same time I was navigating my footing on a section with lots of rocks. And down I went. Some minor cuts to the knee and a reminder that I need a first aid kit...

Ahhh boy. Inevitable, but glad you are alright! At least you have a 4-legged friend to place the blame on.

I used to be a fly by the seat of my pants kinda gal but after spending more and more time in the backcountry I realize how important it is to take safety incredibly seriously. A first aid kit is really simple but really important. 

2015-06-22 3:33 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Ahhh boy. Inevitable, but glad you are alright! At least you have a 4-legged friend to place the blame on.

I used to be a fly by the seat of my pants kinda gal but after spending more and more time in the backcountry I realize how important it is to take safety incredibly seriously. A first aid kit is really simple but really important. 

Yeah, DH and I were discussing it. I think I'm going to start carrying a snake bite kit too. They have them at REI and they aren't expensive. Might even think about carrying that on our morning runs out in the desert. One guy said in his review that he used it for his dog so that would be good for either of us.

2015-06-22 3:58 PM

User image

Seattle

Yeah, DH and I were discussing it. I think I'm going to start carrying a snake bite kit too. They have them at REI and they aren't expensive. Might even think about carrying that on our morning runs out in the desert. One guy said in his review that he used it for his dog so that would be good for either of us.

That's an interesting topic, btw http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB124208165196508345

And while we are on it, what do you all think is absolutely necessary for a first aid/emergency kit for the trail?

I've got: emergency shelter/blanket, emergency rain poncho (might be a little redundant but worth it to me,) gauze/dressing , bandages of various sizes, blister care, athletic tape, topical antibiotic cream, ibu and acetaminophen,sunscreen tube,ziploc bag, lighter, duct tape, safety pins and zip ties. 

One thing I see on a lot of lists is an irrigation syringe and tweezers, but I don't have them in there. 

2015-06-22 4:02 PM

User image

Master
Day 1 of our pilgrimage to northern California. My parents moved north of Sacramento, so it's a multi-day trip now. At least there's a Starbucks across from the Subway where we've stopped in Indio. I've got a lot of driving left.
2015-06-22 4:18 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Looks like some good racing and family time this last week! I'll have to read more on another stop.
2015-06-22 4:21 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

That's an interesting topic, btw http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB124208165196508345

And while we are on it, what do you all think is absolutely necessary for a first aid/emergency kit for the trail?

I've got: emergency shelter/blanket, emergency rain poncho (might be a little redundant but worth it to me,) gauze/dressing , bandages of various sizes, blister care, athletic tape, topical antibiotic cream, ibu and acetaminophen,sunscreen tube,ziploc bag, lighter, duct tape, safety pins and zip ties. 

One thing I see on a lot of lists is an irrigation syringe and tweezers, but I don't have them in there. 

Hmmm that is interesting. Sawyer is the kit they carry at REI. Just realized that all of the reviews are for insect or spider bites. 

As for the kit we were looking at this one at REI because it has bandages, gauze, antibacterial wipes and acetaminophen. Most kits had those but this one also has an elastic bandage and bandage scissors. I think those are a good idea because sprains are a very real possibility out there.

The thing is whether the extra weight is worth it. Could I get by without if I were hurt? Probably, but at what cost.  I need to start bringing an emergency blanket too. DS1 has most, if not all, of that in his pack. I got each of us a paracord thingy. He is usually up to 30 mintues behind me on the trail while we are climbing then we are together on the way down. 

2015-06-22 4:22 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by 4agoodlife Day 1 of our pilgrimage to northern California. My parents moved north of Sacramento, so it's a multi-day trip now. At least there's a Starbucks across from the Subway where we've stopped in Indio. I've got a lot of driving left.

Drive safe and have a great trip!!!

2015-06-23 7:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Hmmm that is interesting. Sawyer is the kit they carry at REI. Just realized that all of the reviews are for insect or spider bites. 

As for the kit we were looking at this one at REI because it has bandages, gauze, antibacterial wipes and acetaminophen. Most kits had those but this one also has an elastic bandage and bandage scissors. I think those are a good idea because sprains are a very real possibility out there.

The thing is whether the extra weight is worth it. Could I get by without if I were hurt? Probably, but at what cost.  I need to start bringing an emergency blanket too. DS1 has most, if not all, of that in his pack. I got each of us a paracord thingy. He is usually up to 30 mintues behind me on the trail while we are climbing then we are together on the way down. 

I'm assuming if you are carrying a first aid kit you are also carrying water so I'm taking that as a given.

If you are in a spot that has patchy cell phone coverage then you need some form of emergency locator beacon (that you make sure is kept charged). getting stuck out on a trail were no one can easily find you can mean bad exposure to both heat and cold both of which can kill. These aren't that expensive anymore and can be relatively small and light.

2015-06-23 8:05 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
For those of you that run outside in low light conditions do you use a head lamp of some sort?

I have reverted to walking my dogs after work so that I can run in the morning, but this is meaning that it is almost totally dark before I am done. Since I walk them along the fire trails in the back paddock there is no lighting and the ground is very rocky and uneven so I am in the market for a head lamp to ensure that neither the dogs or I fall over and break a leg, cause bags not carrying one of them home.
2015-06-23 8:26 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK For those of you that run outside in low light conditions do you use a head lamp of some sort? I have reverted to walking my dogs after work so that I can run in the morning, but this is meaning that it is almost totally dark before I am done. Since I walk them along the fire trails in the back paddock there is no lighting and the ground is very rocky and uneven so I am in the market for a head lamp to ensure that neither the dogs or I fall over and break a leg, cause bags not carrying one of them home.

I run in the dark all the time.  usually the street lights provide ample light, but occasionally the area i run has some road hazards or I am on a trail; if so, i use a head lamp.  I have the black diamond sprinter.  Very light.  It has a back light to (blinks red) which is useful on the road, not so much on a trail.  

2015-06-23 9:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

That looks like a solid list.  I'm not sure if I fell and hurt myself running on a trail that I would be calm enough to use tweezers effectively.

2015-06-23 9:39 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by StaceyK For those of you that run outside in low light conditions do you use a head lamp of some sort? I have reverted to walking my dogs after work so that I can run in the morning, but this is meaning that it is almost totally dark before I am done. Since I walk them along the fire trails in the back paddock there is no lighting and the ground is very rocky and uneven so I am in the market for a head lamp to ensure that neither the dogs or I fall over and break a leg, cause bags not carrying one of them home.

I run in the dark all the time.  usually the street lights provide ample light, but occasionally the area i run has some road hazards or I am on a trail; if so, i use a head lamp.  I have the black diamond sprinter.  Very light.  It has a back light to (blinks red) which is useful on the road, not so much on a trail.  

I use the Road I.D. Supernova lights.  They come in different colors, don't cost much, clip on, and work really well.

2015-06-23 9:41 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by amd723

I am in the same boat as Hands, primarily running in the dark in my neighborhood.  I use a Princeton Tec Byte, which is tiny, light weight and would probably not give enough light for trails.  But it weighs nearly nothing and was not too costly at all ($15 or so.)  Princeton took care of me when my hinge broke due to my sweat.  I am on my third one in as many years, so the construction of this model may not be to your liking, although the way I sweat, I am fairly convinced nothing will stand up for too long.  There is no back light, but I have a small red blinker that I put on mine that works for me. 

http://www.princetontec.com/byte

I've heard really good things about Black Diamond equipment as well.

2015-06-23 9:47 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

One piece of the First Aid kit that I would think about would be what do you need for your area. Some stuff (bandages, ointment) might be standard, while others (snake bite, or rain fly) might not be necessary in your area.

Given today's run, I need something for sprained ankles in mine.  The funny part of that is that I twisted the ankle, turned off my watch, and thought of this discussion. All in the matter of a second or two. 

2015-06-23 9:50 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by cdban66

One piece of the First Aid kit that I would think about would be what do you need for your area. Some stuff (bandages, ointment) might be standard, while others (snake bite, or rain fly) might not be necessary in your area.

Given today's run, I need something for sprained ankles in mine.  The funny part of that is that I twisted the ankle, turned off my watch, and thought of this discussion. All in the matter of a second or two. 

Funny how that works. I think of Manatee wisdom (and sometimes sillyness) often on during training (and when not training).

2015-06-23 9:56 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

yikes, sorry about your ankle!!

I thought you were going to say that given the temps where we fun, all first aid kits should include an inflatable pool (and water)!  

2015-06-23 9:57 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Ima need y'all to send me some patience. My dad is here with his SO and she drives me bat chit crazy. She is the polar opposite of me and two days is usually about all I can take. They've been here since Saturday and don't leave until tomorrow. I may go postal 

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 68397 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29145 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12300 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 38640 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67871 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.