BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2017-10-27 10:18 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by JBacarella I'm not sure if this fits as an exciting new gear purchase or self loathing plan to torture myself over the winter. Either way I bought a new trainer for my bike. After 10 years of the "generic" mag trainer, the bolt that holds the bike in started to corrode. I figure better safe and I wanted something better. I bought a CycleOps Fluid trainer. The upgrade is unbelievable! It is a much smoother ride and gives more consistent resistance and it is a lot quieter. With this purchase, I officially declare my off season! Plus the weather here has been so nasty, I don't want to do anything outside.

The categories are not mutually exclusive!! Congrats on the upgrade.  Sorry your weather is nasty, my weather is finally nice and is perfect training weather. Unfortunately, we will be hot and humid again in no time

True, that!

2017-10-27 10:56 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

October 28-29
Lisa - Silver Comet Half Marathon on Saturday
Randee - Steam Train half on Saturday

Is anyone else racing?

2017-10-27 12:47 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

October 28-29

Is anyone else racing?

Go racers, go!
Have fun and stay safe!
2017-10-27 12:49 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

October 28-29

Is anyone else racing?

Go Lisa and RAndee!!

Love the fall racing colors!

2017-10-27 1:53 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
I am also happy to see no injuries/contusions/health issues )))

Just read about Stacey's migraine... so sorry! I hope this is not the migraine season and it won't bother you for a long while..

Enjoy the weekend everyone!
2017-10-27 4:06 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Tracy's post reminded me, we need to be on the lookout for what they are going to do with the Mentor Groups at the end of the year!

Like something other than just starting new threads?

2017-10-27 4:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Racing Manatees!!!

October 28-29

Is anyone else racing?

Go Lisa and RAndee!!

Love the fall racing colors!

YAY!! Go get it Lisa!

$95 entrance fee and if I "Beat the train" back to the station (2:15 half marathon) then I get a $6 trainl whistle. My group thinks it's funny because we're going to CHOO next year LOL

I don't think it's funny at all. 2:15 will be a stretch this year.......TBD

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2017-10-27 4:08 PM
2017-10-27 8:55 PM

User image

Expert

Racing Manatees!!!

October 28-29

Is anyone else racing?

Good Luck Racers!
2017-10-27 8:57 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by JBacarella I'm not sure if this fits as an exciting new gear purchase or self loathing plan to torture myself over the winter. Either way I bought a new trainer for my bike. After 10 years of the "generic" mag trainer, the bolt that holds the bike in started to corrode. I figure better safe and I wanted something better. I bought a CycleOps Fluid trainer. The upgrade is unbelievable! It is a much smoother ride and gives more consistent resistance and it is a lot quieter. With this purchase, I officially declare my off season! Plus the weather here has been so nasty, I don't want to do anything outside.

The categories are not mutually exclusive!! Congrats on the upgrade.  Sorry your weather is nasty, my weather is finally nice and is perfect training weather. Unfortunately, we will be hot and humid again in no time

True, that!

Nasty in the sense that is a lot like the end of the bike and the run at Louisville. Cold, rain and wind, but the lake has been putting on a great show.
2017-10-28 6:28 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Well...MRI is done. (BTW--I DO NOT recommend having a very strong coffee shortly before entering one. Under the best of circumstances, I have a really hard time staying still and not fidgeting. Add this freaky machine and the disconcerting sounds it makes, plus a brisk morning workout and the coffee, and I kept feeling like my muscles were going to start twitching or cramping and ruin the image. Kept counting down with the timer and those horrible sounds--DON'T MOVE, DON'T MOVE....or I have to spend all this $$$ again....)

Bunch of medical gobbledygook on the report which I will have to see the orthopedist to fully interpret on Tuesday (hope he can understand results dictated by a French radiologist and typed by a Vietnamese secretary who doesn't seem to use punctuation normally), but it sounds like all earlier guesses and tests were wrong. I think I understood this much....

It appears to be have been a stress fracture (at this point, partly or completely healed) in my second toe and that, plus probably whatever changes in biomechanics I was doing to compensate for it while trying to baby it along, has caused all manner of inflammation and general unhappiness in the adjoining joints and soft tissues. Apparently not Morton's neuroma, plantar plate tear, or MTP joint capsulitis. My blame is still on the ill-fitting bike shoes--I think the combo of crappy shoes (more an issue on that foot as it is 1/2 size bigger than the other), lots of big-gear work last spring, and the fact that I'm not a very experienced cyclist and probably haven't developed the resilience that I have for the repetitive motions of swimming and running. Guessing I may have over-worked some of the supporting muscles and ligaments, put strain where it shouldn't have been, and then my poor toe bone took a hit, especially when I ran immediately after cycling during bricks and races.

I guess the good news is nothing is currently broken, missing, or displaced. But it took a while to develop so sounds like it might take a while to get rid of. Hoping it is amenable at this point to anti-inflammatories and PT and we don't have to do anything nasty or invasive. At this point I would gladly just cut the whole thing off. OMG.
2017-10-28 9:13 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Well...MRI is done. (BTW--I DO NOT recommend having a very strong coffee shortly before entering one. Under the best of circumstances, I have a really hard time staying still and not fidgeting. Add this freaky machine and the disconcerting sounds it makes, plus a brisk morning workout and the coffee, and I kept feeling like my muscles were going to start twitching or cramping and ruin the image. Kept counting down with the timer and those horrible sounds--DON'T MOVE, DON'T MOVE....or I have to spend all this $$$ again....) Bunch of medical gobbledygook on the report which I will have to see the orthopedist to fully interpret on Tuesday (hope he can understand results dictated by a French radiologist and typed by a Vietnamese secretary who doesn't seem to use punctuation normally), but it sounds like all earlier guesses and tests were wrong. I think I understood this much.... It appears to be have been a stress fracture (at this point, partly or completely healed) in my second toe and that, plus probably whatever changes in biomechanics I was doing to compensate for it while trying to baby it along, has caused all manner of inflammation and general unhappiness in the adjoining joints and soft tissues. Apparently not Morton's neuroma, plantar plate tear, or MTP joint capsulitis. My blame is still on the ill-fitting bike shoes--I think the combo of crappy shoes (more an issue on that foot as it is 1/2 size bigger than the other), lots of big-gear work last spring, and the fact that I'm not a very experienced cyclist and probably haven't developed the resilience that I have for the repetitive motions of swimming and running. Guessing I may have over-worked some of the supporting muscles and ligaments, put strain where it shouldn't have been, and then my poor toe bone took a hit, especially when I ran immediately after cycling during bricks and races. I guess the good news is nothing is currently broken, missing, or displaced. But it took a while to develop so sounds like it might take a while to get rid of. Hoping it is amenable at this point to anti-inflammatories and PT and we don't have to do anything nasty or invasive. At this point I would gladly just cut the whole thing off. OMG.

well, at least now you know what it is, so it can be addressed. Hopefully, with proper attention it will resolve sooner rather than later, but what a frustrating thing.

2017-10-28 11:49 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner Well...MRI is done. (BTW--I DO NOT recommend having a very strong coffee shortly before entering one. Under the best of circumstances, I have a really hard time staying still and not fidgeting. Add this freaky machine and the disconcerting sounds it makes, plus a brisk morning workout and the coffee, and I kept feeling like my muscles were going to start twitching or cramping and ruin the image. Kept counting down with the timer and those horrible sounds--DON'T MOVE, DON'T MOVE....or I have to spend all this $$$ again....) Bunch of medical gobbledygook on the report which I will have to see the orthopedist to fully interpret on Tuesday (hope he can understand results dictated by a French radiologist and typed by a Vietnamese secretary who doesn't seem to use punctuation normally), but it sounds like all earlier guesses and tests were wrong. I think I understood this much.... It appears to be have been a stress fracture (at this point, partly or completely healed) in my second toe and that, plus probably whatever changes in biomechanics I was doing to compensate for it while trying to baby it along, has caused all manner of inflammation and general unhappiness in the adjoining joints and soft tissues. Apparently not Morton's neuroma, plantar plate tear, or MTP joint capsulitis. My blame is still on the ill-fitting bike shoes--I think the combo of crappy shoes (more an issue on that foot as it is 1/2 size bigger than the other), lots of big-gear work last spring, and the fact that I'm not a very experienced cyclist and probably haven't developed the resilience that I have for the repetitive motions of swimming and running. Guessing I may have over-worked some of the supporting muscles and ligaments, put strain where it shouldn't have been, and then my poor toe bone took a hit, especially when I ran immediately after cycling during bricks and races. I guess the good news is nothing is currently broken, missing, or displaced. But it took a while to develop so sounds like it might take a while to get rid of. Hoping it is amenable at this point to anti-inflammatories and PT and we don't have to do anything nasty or invasive. At this point I would gladly just cut the whole thing off. OMG.

Glad you made it through the MRI! They are tough. The more you try not to move, the more you want to move. Now you can have a plan of action to get it healed up. A plan that does NOT include chopping it off.

2017-10-28 1:00 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Speaking of trying not to move... this was my Friday night adventure

(mdot ink.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
mdot ink.jpg (127KB - 4 downloads)
2017-10-28 3:01 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by rrrunnerSpeaking of trying not to move... this was my Friday night adventure
Nice
2017-10-28 4:31 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by rrrunner Speaking of trying not to move... this was my Friday night adventure

wow, great work!

2017-10-28 4:32 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

This just happened 

ETA: ignore the picture of my mal files!

Edited by amd723 2017-10-28 4:35 PM

(86B18E0A-DB70-44E8-8312-DF55E45951EA.png)

(86B18E0A-DB70-44E8-8312-DF55E45951EA.png)

Attachments
----------------
86B18E0A-DB70-44E8-8312-DF55E45951EA.png (1591KB - 4 downloads)
86B18E0A-DB70-44E8-8312-DF55E45951EA.png (1591KB - 3 downloads)

2017-10-28 5:02 PM
in reply to: #5225979

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Awesome sauce!!!!!!!!!!!!
2017-10-28 6:17 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yikes--I think that was probably way more painful, and took way more time, than the MRI! Really cool and a big step up from the usual tattoo. I've had the design in the dot painted onto my nails before. The swimmer goes onto my big toes (because you can only see nail art on the swim) and the runner and biker on one thumb each. Of course black on magenta, as per race outfit.

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-10-28 6:25 PM
2017-10-28 6:18 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

It sounds like (hopefully) you are on your way to recovering then! That's good news, right? 

2017-10-28 6:19 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner Speaking of trying not to move... this was my Friday night adventure

Nice!

Wait! What will you do when you get to your second and third one?

Edited by jmkizer 2017-10-28 6:19 PM
2017-10-28 6:20 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

This just happened 

And then there were FOUR (Manatees planning to attend next September's meetup)

2017-10-28 6:29 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Hate to bring this up, but I just had a second look at the tattoo--I could swear it says 144.6. Is Choo longer than standard, or are my eyes giving out? Or did you follow my example and do some extra riding? (The standing joke at the bike shop after Worlds last year is that if/when I finally do an Ironman, I'm going to end up with a 150.6 tattoo.)
2017-10-28 6:34 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Hate to bring this up, but I just had a second look at the tattoo--I could swear it says 144.6. Is Choo longer than standard, or are my eyes giving out? Or did you follow my example and do some extra riding? (The standing joke at the bike shop after Worlds last year is that if/when I finally do an Ironman, I'm going to end up with a 150.6 tattoo.)

the bike is 4 miles extra

2017-10-28 7:44 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Nice!

Wait! What will you do when you get to your second and third one?

I told the artist he may have to get creative with add-ons.
2017-10-29 1:16 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Hmmm... Maybe I could overcome my needle phobia and get a 76.5 tattoo. That would leave'em wondering.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  

of 44