BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-10-11 9:07 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Master
Small Town
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!

2009-10-11 9:30 PM
in reply to: #2454144

User image

Champion
marietta
ashort33 - 2009-10-11 7:04 PM

Hey all, back from my first olympic...  I finished and that is about all I can say.  I am working on rr, but may fall asleep at any moment. 

Great job Andy!   Get that rr up for us to read!!!

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-10-11 9:31 PM
2009-10-12 7:21 AM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
I need a little help here.  I'm am have some trouble getting motivated to train.  I really enjoy training, but since my HIM, I have just not been able to get back into it.  My plan was to take some time off before building for IMKY training, but this sucks!  I keep saying to myself "You're doing a freaking Ironman.  Get with it!"  I think my problem is how much I put into my HIM - both physically and emotionally.  Now I am just drained.  I signed up for the event almost a year before the race, so of course anticipation had been building since.  Now, I keep thinking about running a marathon in February, to prove to myself that I can, but again, don't have the motivation.  Also, I don't like running to run.  I like running to finish a tri.  Just as, I don't like biking to bike.  I like to bike in a tri.  I haven't even been back on my bike since Sept. 27.  If it makes sense, I want to take time to "recharge", but I want to train too!  I guess it goes back to doing other stuff as exercise (mountain biking for me).  Maybe I just need a swift kick in the a$$!  Maybe I'll try a spin class today.  Never done one of those.
2009-10-12 7:39 AM
in reply to: #2454563

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Jeepguy2358 - 2009-10-12 8:21 AM I need a little help here.  I'm am have some trouble getting motivated to train.  I really enjoy training, but since my HIM, I have just not been able to get back into it.  My plan was to take some time off before building for IMKY training, but this sucks!  I keep saying to myself "You're doing a freaking Ironman.  Get with it!"  I think my problem is how much I put into my HIM - both physically and emotionally.  Now I am just drained.  I signed up for the event almost a year before the race, so of course anticipation had been building since.  Now, I keep thinking about running a marathon in February, to prove to myself that I can, but again, don't have the motivation.  Also, I don't like running to run.  I like running to finish a tri.  Just as, I don't like biking to bike.  I like to bike in a tri.  I haven't even been back on my bike since Sept. 27.  If it makes sense, I want to take time to "recharge", but I want to train too!  I guess it goes back to doing other stuff as exercise (mountain biking for me).  Maybe I just need a swift kick in the a$$!  Maybe I'll try a spin class today.  Never done one of those.

I think this happens to all of us.  For me what gets me back up and running is to get into the training plan for the race.  It's hard to keep going in "maintenance mode"  you can tell yourself, it's ok, don't need to workout today I am on a plan.

Once I start seeing workouts listed in my blog and a race date that is within a few months, it gets me motivated.

For me I would do the marathon in February, 16 week training plan, perfect timing.  Though for me I haven't been able to do much biking or swimming during my marathon plan, have had to use those days off to recharge the legs. 
2009-10-12 8:00 AM

User image

Chris, I agree with Tony.  I think planning the marathon is a good next step.  Of course it's only my opinion, but the marathon will get you two things....1) if you have never run a marathon it would be a good thing to get under your belt before trying it at the end of IM  2) gets you training for something (there is no motivation better than seeing a race on your schedule) and in great shape going into IM training.

IMHO it is really too early to start your "IM specific training" now.  You could start a maint plan...but I know I would get bored and talk about unmotivated doing that.   With the marathon thrown in there you get your run fitness from the marathon training, then after the marathon do some fun bike/swim stuff and soon it will be IM training time. 

Also, you may want to look at throwing a few "fun" races in there (find some that fit in your training schedule).  I am IM training this year and it has been a long year with very few races.  Thank goodness for the awesome MG racers...I have lived through all the race reports!

Have fun on your IM journey!  
2009-10-12 8:02 AM

User image

One more IM idea.......

Start looking at all the IM training plans out there.  Really going through them and finally selecting one I found was a  motivating (ok, maybe fueled by fear, but none the less motivating).

Good luck!  

2009-10-12 9:00 AM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Chris...Get off your A$$ and get out there and do some SWBKRUN!  Seriously,  you had some great fitness that you worked really hard for for the HIM and you don't want to let all that go.  26 miles is a LONG way, so you might think about getting your run volume where it will need to be.  Obviously the marathon would be a great way to pull that off.  Critical volume for the ironman is only around 60 miles of running per week, so you have plenty of room to work with  Couple that with CV for the bike at 300 miles per week, and I would say that you got your work cut out for you.   Not to mention the swimming.

Consider this your kick in the A$$!  Hope it was motivating

2009-10-12 9:04 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Great job Andy!

The soreness is diminishing. I could really use a good massage. There has beena lot of discussion about the swim course being long. Everyone that had a working GPS unit on the swim has stated that they thought our swim was long. Comparing the times from previous years also indicates a long course.

Whay is this important? I knew my bike and run were subpar, but really thought my swim went well. If the swim was .17 miles, then I did 1:44/100 yds. and I feel better about that.

What surprises me now is that I am not more upset. I followed my 12 week plan religously and then had a bad day. But I feel glad I finished it and I expect the next one will go better. Tomorrow if I am up to it I will start back running and biking. I am trying to determine my off season plans.

Doug

2009-10-12 9:25 AM
in reply to: #2454725

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

DougRob - 2009-10-12 9:04 AM

Great job Andy!

The soreness is diminishing. I could really use a good massage. There has beena lot of discussion about the swim course being long. Everyone that had a working GPS unit on the swim has stated that they thought our swim was long. Comparing the times from previous years also indicates a long course.

Whay is this important? I knew my bike and run were subpar, but really thought my swim went well. If the swim was .17 miles, then I did 1:44/100 yds. and I feel better about that.

What surprises me now is that I am not more upset. I followed my 12 week plan religously and then had a bad day. But I feel glad I finished it and I expect the next one will go better. Tomorrow if I am up to it I will start back running and biking. I am trying to determine my off season plans.

Doug

I'm sorry you had such a bad day...  I was not so religious in my training and had a bad day on top of that!  I learned a lot again - I can't half-a$$ training going into the half marathon or HIM....  That would cause those to become a whole different level of suffering....

2009-10-12 9:54 AM
in reply to: #2454563

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Jeepguy2358 - 2009-10-12 7:21 AM I need a little help here.  I'm am have some trouble getting motivated to train.  I really enjoy training, but since my HIM, I have just not been able to get back into it.  My plan was to take some time off before building for IMKY training, but this sucks!  I keep saying to myself "You're doing a freaking Ironman.  Get with it!"  I think my problem is how much I put into my HIM - both physically and emotionally.  Now I am just drained.  I signed up for the event almost a year before the race, so of course anticipation had been building since.  Now, I keep thinking about running a marathon in February, to prove to myself that I can, but again, don't have the motivation.  Also, I don't like running to run.  I like running to finish a tri.  Just as, I don't like biking to bike.  I like to bike in a tri.  I haven't even been back on my bike since Sept. 27.  If it makes sense, I want to take time to "recharge", but I want to train too!  I guess it goes back to doing other stuff as exercise (mountain biking for me).  Maybe I just need a swift kick in the a$$!  Maybe I'll try a spin class today.  Never done one of those.

Everyone is different, but let me give you the lecture my coach gave/gives me regularly.....if you start training for your IM now, you will be totally burned out when it comes time to really build so stop obsessing! 

I won't start my IM training until January.  My hours have been down since the HIM to recharge the body and the mind, but I haven't completely quit.  The focus for me (and probably could be for you) during this time period is short in duration, but high intensity activities.  For me, that is primarily improving my FTP on th ebike and once my leg heals, my run pace.  As a weak swimmer, that will always be part of the plan, like it or not (and of course I LOVE IT). 

Is running a marathon a good idea?  maybe, but it is a long haul and will require tapering and a reverse taper before you start your IM training which will probably mean a March start which is definitely not too late, but you will have spent 16 weeks training for it-is burn out a possibility?  I'm deferring Boston because I don't want it to detract from my IM and I was told that I would not be trained to PR because it would not allow me to build my FTP or run the way I should be, but that is just me.  If you want to do a marathon because you think it will help your running for the IM, by all means give it a whirl, but something else will have to give to do it.

Now go to do something productive other than golf and stop whining!
2009-10-12 10:00 AM
in reply to: #2454707

User image

Champion
Plainsman AU - 2009-10-12 9:00 AM Chris...Get off your A$$ and get out there and do some SWBKRUN!  Seriously,  you had some great fitness that you worked really hard for for the HIM and you don't want to let all that go.  26 miles is a LONG way, so you might think about getting your run volume where it will need to be.  Obviously the marathon would be a great way to pull that off.  Critical volume for the ironman is only around 60 miles of running per week, so you have plenty of room to work with  Couple that with CV for the bike at 300 miles per week, and I would say that you got your work cut out for you.   Not to mention the swimming.

Consider this your kick in the A$$!  Hope it was motivating

Hey

Who told you critical volume was 60m of running for an IM?  I don't think I have a single friend that pulls that kind of mileage for IM WI! 

S

2009-10-12 10:32 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Congratulations on your first Olys Doug and Andy! It sucks having a bad day on race day, but you both have the right attitude about it- learn from it and work on the things you can change next time around. The nice thing about it being your first at a distance is it's a PR no matter what!

Jeremy- Sorry about the crappy course markings. Fantastic pace on the 10k though!!! Great job!
2009-10-12 10:43 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Wow- such an eventful weekend.  Where to start...

Kim - great job on the 17 miles!!   Personally, I like swimming both the breast and back strokes as my cool downs.  The back stroke especially helps with my streamlining and sometimes I do my kick drills on my back.  Breast stroke is very relaxing to me and I like the stretch.

IM - WOW!!   I had a friend racing and she kicked total  A@*!!   Brooke Tvermoes, took 5th in her age group with swim = 1:01, bike = 5:46 and run = 3:33 for a finishing time of 10:30:43.  I can't imagine going that fast! 

Andy and Doug -way to go men!   Doug, don't feel bad, that was a tough course.  I was at the mount line when your bottle cage shattered.  That happened to several folks actually.  Watching the mount/dismount line is very educational.  It is amazing how many people don't have the flexibility to swing their leg over the back of the seat to miss the bottle holder. Also, I don't understand the people who come screaming into the dismount line out of control and then nearly, or literally crash into other riders.  Seriously?  Take 2 seconds to dismount while you still have control and then run 2 seconds faster as you start the run to make it up.  Very scary.

Jeremy - that really stinks.  Sorry to hear that.  Great job out there regardless.

Chris- I say take a break. The best part  about my training after my half was being able to do what I wanted when I wanted. I would go for a swim and then say, "okay, I think I'm done now" and leave without the guilt of distance or time. Give youself a little break and develop the longing to train again.  It'll come back.

Personally I did my longest run ever yesterday.  I'll stop posting these comments though b/c as of now all of my long runs are longest runs ever.  18 miles and feeling strong. It wasn't fast but I took good care of my calf and in return it is taking good care of me.  Compression socks and athletic tape are my friends right now.
2009-10-12 11:00 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.

Doug/Andy.... Congrats on your 1st Olympic.  Keep one thing in mind, if this was an EASY sport everyone would be doing it.  You guys left it all out on the course and that is all that can be said.  Learn from it and either except it or get better (I know you will both get better), but you guys did GREAT!  Way to end the season w/ your longest race to date!  Hard work pays off!

Jeremy.... Really odd about that race.  I don't know that I would go back next year, and don't hesitate to send the RD a formal complaint. 

Chris.... I am going to piggy back what some already said..... TAKE A BREAK!  You have worked your body pretty solid over the past few months.  Although you may feel "recovered" you probably aren't.  You and I have already discussed mixing things up.  If I remember you are going for a mtn. bike ride tomorrow?  This is perfect.  Do something different.  Make it enjoyable.  Mtn. Bike, Trail Run, Hike, Snowshoe, etc.... Mix things up and give your body and mind a break!

Tracy.... I am so happy for you!  Great job on the run!  I am glad that your calve is holding up!  Funny how the compression socks really do help!  I wasn't a believer when they 1st came out!  I didn't want to join the "crowd" on these, but I AM SOLD on them!  T- minus 4 weeks??? I can't wait!!!

2009-10-12 12:00 PM

User image

Pro
SAD SAD DAY... They have taken the Silver Bullet from me at work.... It was good to me, the wife, the dog, the bikes, friends and family.  It gave me almost 40k miles of excitement....

My MINIVAN is no longer.  They gave me a replace w/ 25 miles on it when I got it, but for the dog, bikes, roadtrips, snow, etc... IT doesn't fit the bill!  Don't get me wrong it is a great rig for day to day (work) driving, and I am grateful, but NOT for the weekend warrior in me !!!!

(Co Car.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Co Car.JPG (40KB - 29 downloads)
2009-10-12 12:08 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Hey all RR is up finally...  Thanks for all the encouraging words!

2009-10-12 12:47 PM
in reply to: #2455147

User image

Expert
B'ham
Alright gang, I'm back.  The original plan was to leave with the family onThursday for the funeral and return Sunday.  Wednesday night, both kids got sick and my wife wasn't feeling great either.  So I stayed home with them Thursday, drove solo Friday to Spokane to attend the funeral on Saturday and drove home Saturday night.  It was a great service, standing room only at the church (he'd retired from the police department and someone joked it was a good thing it wasn't the fire department, they wouldn't have allowed all those people )  And who knew my dad could be funny.
 I'm feeling very run down today and not getting much done here at work - probably my turn to be sick.

Jeremy, Andy and Doug - great job in your races, dealing with adversity says a lot about one's character - way to hang in there.

Tracy - happy to hear your calf is feeling good.

Chris - take a break, mix it up, and don't stress about not working out - you're going to have plenty of opportunity to stress about working out next year.

Steve - they make real lights for mountain biking at night.  Please promise us you will not go out with a plastic flashlight zip tied to your bars ever again.

Sorry if I missed anyone, you guys were busy the last several days.... isn't it supposed to be the offseason??

2009-10-12 1:01 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Somehow I missed it, but better late than never....

2000th POST!!!!

2009-10-12 1:26 PM

User image

Champion

Matt---welcome back.  Sounds like you had a very tough weekend....

Steve--I never took you for a min-van.  I swear I figured you drove around in a Tahoe or Escalade or Suburban....wow, I have a totally different picture of you now.

Tracy--Glad to hear the calf is holding up.  Fingers crossed it is well on its way to being healed.

So I go to the pool to practice breast stroke and tweak my left adductor doing (or not doing) the stupid kick. Hurts all the way up to the groin.  Am I swimming misfit or what?  The worst part is I was having a pretty decent swim up to that point. Geeez.

2009-10-12 1:29 PM
in reply to: #2455418

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

SSMinnow - 2009-10-12 1:26 PM

Matt---welcome back.  Sounds like you had a very tough weekend....

Steve--I never took you for a min-van.  I swear I figured you drove around in a Tahoe or Escalade or Suburban....wow, I have a totally different picture of you now.

Tracy--Glad to hear the calf is holding up.  Fingers crossed it is well on its way to being healed.

So I go to the pool to practice breast stroke and tweak my left adductor doing (or not doing) the stupid kick. Hurts all the way up to the groin.  Am I swimming misfit or what?  The worst part is I was having a pretty decent swim up to that point. Geeez.

Why is it everytime I hear the word "misfit" I think of a Charlie-in-the-Box from the Rudolph Christmas special?  We're all a bunch of misfits here, well all of us except John....

2009-10-12 1:36 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Trevor - just 10 more days on the sig line...  I am counting down now!

2009-10-12 2:25 PM
in reply to: #2455418

User image

Pro
SSMinnow - 2009-10-12 11:26 AM

Wife has a Sequoia, and the minivan was a choice for work.  We put a lot of miles on that in the last 2 years, and only 6000 miles on my wifes car in the last 16 months.  It's a FREE car, so I never complain about it.... Especially the minivan that fit EVERYTHING for our road trips!
2009-10-12 2:39 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
2009-10-12 2:53 PM
in reply to: #2455605

User image

Pro
fattyfatfat - 2009-10-12 12:39 PM

That's your new screen saver I imagine?
2009-10-12 3:06 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Congrat and Way to stick with it Doug. Sounds a lot like my first and only Olypmic earlier this year. I think jumping up to that distance made a big difference and I wasn't as ready for it as I should have been. The big thing is that you finished and will know 1) what to work on (buying that scooter)  and 2) to make sure you have the best nutrition you can for the next one. I think there is a huge difference in the distances as the body generally carries enough reserves for about 2 hours of racing. After that you need to have the extra nutrition you take in before and during a race.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383