Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Anyone else looking forward to college football? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2013-09-01 7:25 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Subject: RE: Anyone else looking forward to college football?
Wellp, the Hokies did themselves proud. That score did not in any way show what the game was all about.

Alabama needs to find an offensive line quick, fast and in a hurry if they're going to do anything but 9-3 this year.

C Jones earned a place in the starting lineup for sure!

2013-09-01 9:01 AM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Originally posted by mr2tony http://www.theonion.com/articles/what-excites-you-most-about-the-up... This is funny -- love the bit about Boise State.

"Boise State getting decimated by only real team it plays all year."

Came true earlier than usual this year.

2013-09-01 7:03 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Originally posted by DanielG

Wellp, the Hokies did themselves proud. That score did not in any way show what the game was all about.

Alabama needs to find an offensive line quick, fast and in a hurry if they're going to do anything but 9-3 this year.

agree - I was bummed that they lost, but it wasn't like it was unexpected - the special teams surprised me...they used to be the calling card for the Hokies and that just wasn't the case - but i think they ahd like 8 true freshman, so i'll be nice
2013-09-01 9:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
Hook em horns,

may be a long season in Austin. Johnny football will have to represent TX.

2013-09-02 12:34 AM
in reply to: the bear

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Seems like we're going to be seeing a lot more offense, and a bit less defense now with the shift to an up-tempo offense by so many teams.  Looking around the Pac-12, I see Oregon, Arizona, ASU, UCLA, UW and Colorado all running an up-tempo spread.  I think WSU runs a similar spread under Leach, and maybe Cal is doing it now, too, with their new coach.  Pretty sure Stanford is sticking with a power running game, and I think SC is more traditional still, also.  I'm not sure about Riley and OSU, just saw they racked up lots of points but not enough to beat out a good lower tier program.  I saw Utah play some against Utah State, but I forget what they were doing on offense.

A lot of these games follow a similar pattern, where the up-tempo approach doesn't really turn into lots of points until the second half unless the competition is heavily outmatched.  Now that so many are doing it, and the defenses are practicing against an up-tempo offense in the off-season, maybe the higher scoring aspect will get tempered a bit.

2013-09-02 2:25 PM

User image

Today's jersey.

I've gotta find a good skunk jersey for if/when they lose

2013-09-02 6:18 PM
in reply to: uclamatt2007

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by uclamatt2007 This new targeting rule is ridiculous. I have yet to hear anybody give a clear explanation of what will get you kicked out of a game. I just watched a Cal lineman hit the quarterback in the chest with his face mask and get tossed for targeting. It was a clean tackle. I understand the need to protect players but this is a bad rule that will be inconsistently enforced and affects the integrity of the sport.

Yeah, it's getting stupid.  In the Nebraska Wyoming game a Husker player was flagged for roughing the passer when he sacked the QB.  He made a clean sack with his helmet on the left side and his arm reaching across his body grabbing his right shoulder pad.  The announcers were saying the only thing they thought it could be was that his arm was too close to his neck.  /facepalm

On a side not, I'm not looking forward to the UCLA game as much as I was a few days ago.  lol

2013-09-03 9:21 AM

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by the bear

Originally posted by mr2tony http://www.theonion.com/articles/what-excites-you-most-about-the-up... This is funny -- love the bit about Boise State.

"Boise State getting decimated by only real team it plays all year."

Came true earlier than usual this year.

Holy smokes batman. That was all of my worst fears confirmed in Joe Southwick. He's such a terrible QB. Last year he had showed some progress throughout the season, but this game was a huge step back. I don't know if he's ever heard the phrase hitting a receiver in stride, but every pass was an effort by the WR just to catch it. I bet our YAC for this game was in the single digits. On a positive note, Ajayi looked good.
2013-09-04 9:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by SevenZulu

Seems like we're going to be seeing a lot more offense, and a bit less defense now with the shift to an up-tempo offense by so many teams.  Looking around the Pac-12, I see Oregon, Arizona, ASU, UCLA, UW and Colorado all running an up-tempo spread.  I think WSU runs a similar spread under Leach, and maybe Cal is doing it now, too, with their new coach.  Pretty sure Stanford is sticking with a power running game, and I think SC is more traditional still, also.  I'm not sure about Riley and OSU, just saw they racked up lots of points but not enough to beat out a good lower tier program.  I saw Utah play some against Utah State, but I forget what they were doing on offense.

A lot of these games follow a similar pattern, where the up-tempo approach doesn't really turn into lots of points until the second half unless the competition is heavily outmatched.  Now that so many are doing it, and the defenses are practicing against an up-tempo offense in the off-season, maybe the higher scoring aspect will get tempered a bit.

yeah practicing by learning to fake injuries on the field... ahem UGA...

Edited by Clempson 2013-09-04 9:25 PM
2013-09-05 7:08 PM

Regular
Saint Petersburg, FL
Yep the Hokies are a young team and made some special teams mistakes that the #1 team in the country was glad to exploit. We actually might have a fighting chance in the ACC. Clemson is scary though..

Originally posted by DanielG

2013-09-09 2:52 PM
in reply to: SWFLFATGUY

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Matt, I was a little surprised to see Vegas has Nebraska with 4.5 points this week over UCLA.
It has the potential to be a great game and will be a good test for both programs.

I haven't looked at all the other games yet, anybody else have a good match up this weekend?

2013-09-09 4:29 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Wow, those are interesting odds. I think I'd have this game about even, but Vegas comes down to where to money is going to be placed and people still remember UCLA as the team that mailed it in against Baylor to end last season. We looked great in our opener and both our offense and defense look improved from last year. That said, morning game across the country in what is certainly going to be a stadium louder and more hostile than we are accustomed to.

Its probably the second best game of the week, the best if you consider that we won't have to listen to the announcers fawn over Johnny Manziel or watch the "Johnny Cam"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1766686-johnny-manziel-to-have-o...
2013-09-11 11:08 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

I was....until Texas gave up 550 yards of rushing to a sub-par BYU team.

If Mack doesn't beat OU and win conference, he'll "retire" at the end of the year.

2013-09-11 11:18 AM
in reply to: bradleyd3

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Originally posted by bradleyd3I was....until Texas gave up 550 yards of rushing to a sub-par BYU team.If Mack doesn't beat OU and win conference, he'll "retire" at the end of the year.
Rumor I heard was that Nick Satan would take Mack's place. Don't see it happening, but who knows.
2013-09-11 11:21 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by uclamatt2007 Wow, those are interesting odds. I think I'd have this game about even, but Vegas comes down to where to money is going to be placed and people still remember UCLA as the team that mailed it in against Baylor to end last season. We looked great in our opener and both our offense and defense look improved from last year. That said, morning game across the country in what is certainly going to be a stadium louder and more hostile than we are accustomed to. Its probably the second best game of the week, the best if you consider that we won't have to listen to the announcers fawn over Johnny Manziel or watch the "Johnny Cam" http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1766686-johnny-manziel-to-have-o...

Yeah, I put the game at about even as well.

I haven't gone to a game yet, but with the new expansion at Memorial Stadium this year it's seating 91k+ people and from what I've heard it's a lot louder than it was before.

lol at Johnny.  I just can't stand that guy's attitude.  He's a great athlete, but his mouth pretty much spoils the whole thing for me.

2013-09-11 11:22 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by bradleyd3 I was....until Texas gave up 550 yards of rushing to a sub-par BYU team. If Mack doesn't beat OU and win conference, he'll "retire" at the end of the year.

For some reason, it doesn't bother me that much to see Texas struggle.   ;-)

2013-09-11 12:37 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

Originally posted by bradleyd3I was....until Texas gave up 550 yards of rushing to a sub-par BYU team.If Mack doesn't beat OU and win conference, he'll "retire" at the end of the year.
Rumor I heard was that Nick Satan would take Mack's place. Don't see it happening, but who knows.

Would love that....but probability is very low.

Gruden's name was tossed around too. Blah.....

2013-09-11 12:43 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by bradleyd3
Would love that....but probability is very low. Gruden's name was tossed around too. Blah.....

From first hand experience, I would recommend against hiring former Oakland Raiders coaches.  lol

2013-09-11 2:24 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by bradleyd3
Would love that....but probability is very low. Gruden's name was tossed around too. Blah.....

From first hand experience, I would recommend against hiring former Oakland Raiders coaches.  lol

LOL....and poor Goggs can't get away from ol' Billy......now that he's with the Cowboys.

2013-09-14 3:51 PM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Interesting day of football so far. Nebraska gave UCLA a scare before utterly collapsing. I do have to say there is no coach who is more fun to watch have a melt down than Pelini. I swear I saw a vein just about burst of his forehead today.

Michigan has to move down in the rankings with that showing today.

The Johnny man love that is going on right now is just ridiculous. Throwing up a prayer after evading a rush and having you receiver make a great play on a ball that is almost always a bad decision is not a Heisman moment. He looks good today but take it down about 10 notches.
2013-09-14 6:56 PM

User image

Tomorrow's jersey:

2013-09-14 7:24 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Originally posted by uclamatt2007

Interesting day of football so far. Nebraska gave UCLA a scare before utterly collapsing. I do have to say there is no coach who is more fun to watch have a melt down than Pelini. I swear I saw a vein just about burst of his forehead today.

Michigan has to move down in the rankings with that showing today.

The Johnny man love that is going on right now is just ridiculous. Throwing up a prayer after evading a rush and having you receiver make a great play on a ball that is almost always a bad decision is not a Heisman moment. He looks good today but take it down about 10 notches.

I kept imagining him wearing a Jaguars, Browns or Buccaneer's jersey and lasting in more than 6 games before Tim Couch looks like the better option.
2013-09-15 1:25 AM
in reply to: pitt83

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Wow.... end of ASU/Wisc was horribly bungled. Officiating at its worst
2013-09-15 4:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by uclamatt2007

Wow.... end of ASU/Wisc was horribly bungled. Officiating at its worst

I'm watching that one this morning ESPN3. Got friends in and from WI.
So far, looks like a well matched (note I did not say good) game. You can tell they're missing Montee Ball.

Edited by DanielG 2013-09-15 4:41 AM
2013-09-15 1:55 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Originally posted by uclamatt2007 Wow.... end of ASU/Wisc was horribly bungled. Officiating at its worst

I've never seen a QB put the ball down like that to end a play.  There was very little time (18 seconds at the start of the play) to leave the ball inbounds on a running play and center it with no timeouts available.  If they wanted to preserve the clock and make a field goal attempt, they should have spiked the ball and brought the FG team out.  I think the ASU player thought it was a live ball / fumble situation, and that's why he got on the ball.  Yeah, there was a whistle, but at the same time who just sets the ball on the field and backs away without taking a knee?

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Anyone else looking forward to college football? Rss Feed  

of 7

RELATED POSTS

Thoughts on College Football, 2005 Pages: 1 2

Started by El Oso
Views: 3157 Posts: 49

2005-12-08 9:34 AM the bear

College Football for Dummies Pages: 1 2

Started by Jiggies
Views: 2285 Posts: 29

2005-11-20 10:48 AM tyrant

COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!

Started by Comet
Views: 1331 Posts: 18

2005-09-06 1:05 PM Brett

College football drawing near...It's over clowns Pages: 1 2

Started by Det
Views: 3215 Posts: 38

2005-08-03 9:21 AM jwbrandon

Who will win: UF vs FSU College Football Pages: 1 2

Started by DJP1812
Views: 2359 Posts: 30

2004-11-23 12:30 PM G8RLA94
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
Where to find the time WITHOUT getting up early

date : August 7, 2009
author : FitWerx
Would it be a simple and advisable to swap back and forth between the road seat post with no aero bars and the tri seat post with aero bars?
date : February 17, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 13
I have pedals with the cage and when I ride 2+ hours my legs feel much more tired then if I took out my husband's bike with clipless pedals. Do clipless pedals truly make the difference?

date : August 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I have a Specialized Allez Elite road bike with aero bars. It has the stock seatpost. I am interested in changing the seat post to one that is more forward. What would I look for?
date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.

date : July 3, 2006
author : ChiRunning
Discussion on many aspects of ChiRunning such as falling forward, posture, hamstring tightness, stride length, leaning, stretching
date : June 5, 2006
author : AMSSM
How can gluteus medius weakness/problems be involved in iliotibial band syndrome? What specific exercises should be used in building gluteus medius strength in post-ITB syndrome treatment?

date : November 14, 2004
author : Andrea
I'm on the other side of the college-student desk. I'm the one with the red pen in my hand. Those of us with schedules that change from day to day actually have an advantage, I think.