BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2018-01-07 8:17 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open

Originally posted by Rollergirl Short easy bike ride today when I became a member of the club. Yes, I crashed. Nothing serious (a scratch on my letf knee and a hole in my nice winter bike pants. Not happy).Maybe riding a road bike with thin summer tyres in the winter was not my brightests idea.

Bummer on the crash - there are only two kinds of cyclists...those that have crashed and those that will.  Glad you came out relatively unscathed.  I've been pretty luck so far, only one major one (ER visit but bike was OK ).  I've crashed more often just unclipping wrong.  

Day off for me today, sitting at a swim meet.  My daughter posted three PRs this weekend so far in what appears to be a slow pool.  

I travel this week so some hotel gym time for me.

2018-01-07 3:47 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
My bad luck continues... This morning my car was stolen from my apartment complex. It had all my workout gear in it so I guess I'm not working out today or tomorrow. Ugh!
2018-01-08 12:21 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by Qua17

My bad luck continues... This morning my car was stolen from my apartment complex. It had all my workout gear in it so I guess I'm not working out today or tomorrow. Ugh!

Sorry to hear that
2018-01-08 6:49 AM

User image

Expert
It's time to post your goals of the week. Please try to get this done today or tomorrow that way we can hold you accountable and cheer you on. For example, my goal is to work out 1x this week and I need your help or else I'll get a Coors Lite Penalty. So please cheer me on!

2018-01-08 6:51 AM

User image

Expert
David's Goals of the Week

1. Work out in the morning 1x - that's it.
2018-01-08 6:52 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Rollergirl Short easy bike ride today when I became a member of the club. Yes, I crashed. Nothing serious (a scratch on my letf knee and a hole in my nice winter bike pants. Not happy).Maybe riding a road bike with thin summer tyres in the winter was not my brightests idea.

Bummer on the crash - there are only two kinds of cyclists...those that have crashed and those that will.  Glad you came out relatively unscathed.  I've been pretty luck so far, only one major one (ER visit but bike was OK ).  I've crashed more often just unclipping wrong.  

Day off for me today, sitting at a swim meet.  My daughter posted three PRs this weekend so far in what appears to be a slow pool.  

I travel this week so some hotel gym time for me.

Kudo's to your daughter! Thanks fantastic! Good luck getting it done at the hotels this week. I hope you get a nice gym!

2018-01-08 6:54 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Short easy bike ride today when I became a member of the club. Yes, I crashed. Nothing serious (a scratch on my letf knee and a hole in my nice winter bike pants. Not happy).Maybe riding a road bike with thin summer tyres in the winter was not my brightests idea.

Sorry to hear about the crash. Sure you scraped up your bike pants but at least you and the bike are ok.

2018-01-08 9:37 AM

Nashville, Tennessee
@Nathalie - Sorry to hear about your crash but glad you are ok

@Dave - You're due for a break soon my friend, sorry to hear about your car.

So my story for the weekend definitely doesn't compare to those but I did get my first ride in yesterday after buying my bike about a month ago. Of course, two minutes into the ride I dropped the chain. Luckily I had that happen enough as a kid to get it back on and continue on my way. Only rode for about 20 min., just enough to get a decent feel for the bike.

So my goals this week will coincide with the 16 week Sprint program I am starting. Goal is to get 2x Bike (which I counted one yesterday), 2 x swim and 2 x run. Short minute totals to get started so hopefully I can get these done during lunch time. I feel like I've built up a decent base over the last couple months so hopefully I can stick to this program.

Also, update on the trainer. The family friend who I bought my bike from told me yesterday she also had a trainer. She is supposed to be getting back to me on brand and price but told me she'd make me a great deal (like with the bike.)

Hope everyone has a great week.
2018-01-08 3:18 PM
in reply to: EHouse20

User image

DeLand, Florida

Mike sorry totally missed the part where you were back to running!  That's fantastic!!  Keep us up on your progress between now and June (I know you will).

Dave what the ever living hell, now your car too?  I'm sorry life is just kicking you square in the balls right now.  One of my memorable 'lowest' points in life came during a really bad month, which I admit is not as bad as yours, but I've used that month to motivate me that things will get better.  In the span of 30 days, I lost two grandparents, my first serious GF in the real world (ie not college) aka the first girl that actually made me think of marriage broke up with me, and my car got stolen.  The car was the last piece.  That was it, I had nothing left at that point.  This is like 17 years ago now.  Of course life has improved since then so I've always used that as a reminder any time I hit a low point (and I've hit a few even in the past few years).

Me - still haven't got much/any working out going on, and won't any time for a month at least probably two.  Unless you count shoveling.  I am looking forward to the Tour Down Under though.  It's the unofficial start to the professional Cycling season, a 'short' 6 day/800k tour in Australia.  Starts up on the 14th.  My listings don't go out that far yet but really hoping it will be on NBCSN or the new Olympic Channel (which is where they covered a bunch of cycling late last year).

2018-01-08 3:23 PM
in reply to: EHouse20

User image

DeLand, Florida

Hey Eric - not sure how the trainer search is going, but on a budget this deal is hard to beat:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-tt-01-magnetic-turbo-trainer-incl-riser/

It's a mag trainer, 6 levels of resistance that you switch with the little remote thing.  But it will get you up and running for $55 incl free shipping, 4.1/5 stars on 24 reviews.

2018-01-09 4:13 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

, Kronobergs lan
goals of the week

5 workouts.

monday: check (swim)
tuesday check (early morning run (well jog/walk, I still have a small calve pain)
wednesday and thursday off (away on business)
friday and weekend: we'll see

2018-01-09 10:58 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

3K in the pool today, felt really good but my times were just a tad slow.  Longest swim since like October of 2016.  I was going to go to Masters this morning (sorry, Nicole!) but schools were closed for the 2nd day after 1" (!!!) of snow so I had to totally rearrange my day.

Haha no worries! I didn't go on Friday, and am not sure I will make it this Friday either :-/ Went last night though. The parking lot was pure ice and my friend wiped out getting out of the car.
2018-01-09 10:59 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Originally posted by Qua17

Sorry to hear that

Same here! Ugh, hope it turns up
2018-01-09 11:10 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Nathalie, so sorry to hear about your crash! I've definitely been there. Tried riding along the promenade in Baltimore and there is a spot that is wooden boards. My front tire went right through one of the boards and I went flying. I was clipped in, so am amazed I didn't get hurt more than I did.

Went to the gym Sunday and did BodyPump and a Barre class. Definitely regretted combining them at one point b/c they work similar muscles and by bar I was totally dead, but it was an adventure!
Made it to masters practice last night even though we had an ice storm. Did about 1500yds in the short practice, probably not including some drills (I got a fitbit flex 2 so it automatically tracks swimming after 15 minutes but probably doesn't track when I'm not really using my arms).

Going to try to hit the gym tonight, either for bodypump or a cycling class. Have boot camp tomorrow morning. My classes start back up next week so I'm trying to take advantage of my freedom to go to the gym whenever I want while I can.
2018-01-09 11:13 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Goals for the week -
1. Get a workout of some sort in every day. It's going to warm up here so might even get a run in outside!
2. Do chapter 1 of Intuitive Eating workbook and share with the group
3. Stretch and foam roll 3x
2018-01-09 11:43 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

This week's goals are about 4.5 hours on the trainer or spin bike, and hour on the treadmill, and about 4-5K in the pool.  Already behind as I missed a swim session Monday afternoon due to the freezing rain Nicole mentioned above.  I'm up in CT (just north of Hartford) for a few days.  They have one of those new ICG spin bikes with the power meters on them so I can have a targeted workout on them, plus we have a pool (15 yards) that is just long enough to do a little swimming.

Got in trainer sessions yesterday (a complete failure to do 6 x 3' @ 120%) and then this morning (a more successful attempt at 45' Z2 plus four 45" sprints in the middle).

2018-01-09 12:34 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

After a very slack filled year, it's time to get back in shape! Granted a 25k trail run isn't quite slacking off, but compared to my 2016 mileage I didn't do much in 2017. My new job is also much busier so I haven't had as much time for forums. Part of my goal is to change that in an effort to stay accountable.

NAME: Mark

STORY: Started triathlons about 5 years ago after getting into running. In 2016 I went real heavy into half-marathons and completed 8 of them. This lead to a bit of burnout in 2017 and I decieded to tone it back and focused mainly on trail running. Mid 2017 I changed jobs which messed with my training schedule (at my old job I could take long lunches for runs/rides) which let to a severe case of slacking off and some weight gain. Now that Lake San Antonio has enough water in it, the Wildflower triathlon is back and I promised myself I would return and do the Olympic distance so it's time to get myself back in shape!

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 cats.

CURRENT TRAINING: Getting back into multi-sport training with short bike rides, swims, and road runs.

2017 RACES: 25k Trail run was the highlight.

RACES PLANNED FOR 18: Wildflower! Doing the Olympic distance this year.

BEER PREFERENCE: Hoppy IPA's and heavy stouts.

WEIGHT LOSS: 15 lbs at least, 20 would be nice.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I like endurance sports and beer.

2018-01-09 1:14 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

DeLand, Florida

Welcome back Mark!  Love the shirt in the profile pic btw.

Not that you can really see it, the profile pics are so small - but in mine under the wetsuit vest that I've attempted to pul off while running in that pic, you can see the bottom of the tri top version of the same.

Dave we'll have to dig up the Jakroo link for newer folks to be able to order one.  They ain't cheap for ordering one, but at least you can get one (at least you could last year) as they have the artwork saved.

2018-01-09 2:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by firebert

Welcome back Mark!  Love the shirt in the profile pic btw.

Not that you can really see it, the profile pics are so small - but in mine under the wetsuit vest that I've attempted to pul off while running in that pic, you can see the bottom of the tri top version of the same.

Dave we'll have to dig up the Jakroo link for newer folks to be able to order one.  They ain't cheap for ordering one, but at least you can get one (at least you could last year) as they have the artwork saved.

I would love to order one of the tri tops. I didn't order one 2 years ago when we did the order, but wish I had.

Welcome back, Mark!

Edited by nicole14e 2018-01-09 2:19 PM
2018-01-09 3:04 PM

User image

I'm baaaaack....if you'll have me!!!

NAME: Sandi

STORY: I've always tried to be an active person, but really only started running in 2013 or so. Followed it up with some swimming and bought a bike...because the new breweries were on the bike trail and what better way to commute to & from work than...beer? Somewhere along the way I entered a triathlon, and was hooked on the training. I've done about 5 sprints, but have taken most of the past couple of years off. Unfortunately in early 2015 I developed a rare eye disease and lost the majority of my vision in 5 days. Subsequent surgeries and lots and lots of steroid treatment have really derailed me the past few years, forcing me to step back due to weakened tendons and ligaments. However, what I've discovered over the past year is that I'm able to do quite well as long as I maintain a very, very consistent focus on activity and strength. So this year I have lots of goals, all pretty much aimed at making sure I keep moving, get stronger, and keep training. My general theory is that I love beer, but if I don't exercise (a lot), it makes me fat.

FAMILY STATUS: Happily married to a great guy. Four large dogs....in my other life, I'm a dog musher.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am finally consistently running 5K's again. Right now my plan is to improve my endurance and distance while running, do some strength training, and start biking and swimming again in the spring.

2017 RACES: I was happy just to do a few 5K's. I did spend a fair amount of time on my bike this spring and early summer, but the smoke from the CA fires really killed the air quality here making summer exercise super difficult.

RACES PLANNED FOR 18: I turn 50 this year and am developing a list of 50 goals. One of these is 12 5K's...knocked one out this past weekend. I also have loosely defined "5 big races"....currently thinking some sprint tris and maybe a longer bike event. It's super important for me to have goals, but also not to have such lofty ones that I totally lose confidence and focus if something comes up.

BEER PREFERENCE: IPA, although a nice hoppy pale is also great.

WEIGHT LOSS: I've tended to yo-yo the same 15 pounds, and right now am on the high side of that. My weight is a really good indicator of how consistent I have been over a lengthy period at staying active, so my real long-term goal is not just to lose that weight, but keep it off by avoiding the trap of "It's raining, so I think I'll stay in front of the tv this week". It's less about weight loss than about dedicating myself and reminding myself of how disciplined I NEED to be in order to keep my body functioning well after all it has been through.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I still have a whole hell of a lot to learn.
2018-01-09 3:11 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

DeLand, Florida

Sandi!!!  Welcome back!  So good to hear from you and know that you're doing well.

2018-01-09 3:13 PM

User image

Great to see everyone again! Can't wait to catch up!

Sandi
2018-01-10 8:23 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by sandishr Great to see everyone again! Can't wait to catch up! Sandi

Cool!! Sandi's back.  Glad you are doing well.  

2018-01-10 8:55 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Welcome back, Sandi!
2018-01-10 8:58 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Went home last night and did a few weight moves, followed by 30 minutes of yoga using the app called Down Dog. I really do not like yoga/am the least flexible person, but I know I need to do it. I also foam rolled a little bit. I have a long one that I can lay on, and have been laying with my arms like goal posts so it presses my muscles into the foam roller. Really helps when you have a tight neck/shoulders like I do.

Went to boot camp this morning, although getting out of bed was really tough. I have not been waking up early the last couple of weeks and need to get back into that routine. Might do a HIIT cycling class tomorrow, or run outside b/c I think it's supposed to be nice. Going to masters Friday for at least an hour before heading up to PA for the weekend.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114

Started by cdban66
Views: 54820 Posts: 2836

2018-12-31 6:06 PM cdban66

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 14070 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363